Paterno FINALLY retiring in 3....2....1.....

Bugg

Exactly.

In the "failure to report" group, McCreary is the biggest villian. His actions are deplorable.

How's McCreary the worst? He told god (JP) and left it in god's hands. I'm sure he was very concerned of what god would do if he took the ball back out of his hands and went elsewhere with the information. Don't see how he's any more or as dirty as JP, Curley, of Shultz who sat on this as officials. If he wasn't a confirmed puss - he should have beat the sh1t out of Sandusky in the shower and asked questions later.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How's McCreary the worst? He told god (JP) and left it in god's hands. I'm sure he was very concerned of what god would do if he took the ball back out of his hands and went elsewhere with the information. Don't see how he's any more or as dirty as JP, Curley, of Shultz who sat on this as officials. If he wasn't a confirmed puss - he should have beat the sh1t out of Sandusky in the shower and asked questions later.

NJ, just for a moment close your eyes and put yourself there. You walk into a gym shower and see a old man anally raping a 10 year old boy. What do you do?

NJ, just for a moment close your eyes and put yourself there. You walk into a gym shower and see a old man anally raping a 10 year old boy. What do you do?

You make it sound like an easy situation to deal with. That's a pretty traumatic thing to witness, I wouldn't blame him for being freaked out, intervening and planning to kick the sh*t out of him sounds well and good, but what if he pulls a knife on you, or the kid? You know the guy is a heartless, shameless **** as it is. You're talking about a very twisted and potentially dangerous individual.

Not reporting it to the police was beyond inexcusable though, for both him and JP.

I hear you bro and I know what I would have done - the same as you and many others here. But it isn't like this all came down and McCreary is just now coming out with it after cowering in a corner for 9 years. He went to the top of the ladder with the info. I'm not absolving the guy at all - he's a coward in the 1st degree for not stopping it when he first saw it and for clamming up after he saw nothing being done about it. But in my book, he's still a small notch under those who were absolute authority and chose to bury the atrocity and save a brand and fellow authority figure.

You make it sound like an easy situation to deal with. That's a pretty traumatic thing to witness, I wouldn't blame him for being freaked out, intervening and planning to kick the sh*t out of him sounds well and good, but what if he pulls a knife on you, or the kid? You know the guy is a heartless, shameless **** as it is. You're talking about a very twisted and potentially dangerous individual. Not reporting it to the police was beyond inexcusable though, for both him and JP.

I can truly understand the trauma one might experience if they suddenly saw this, and yes I probably would freeze for a moment from the sheer horror I just saw. But I also truly believe that my life is worth that of a child. I would rather my own child be fatherless knowing that I gave my life doing the right thing to save a child, than to have me around knowing I did nothing at all.

I hear you bro and I know what I would have done - the same as you and many others here. But it isn't like this all came down and McCreary is just now coming out with it after cowering in a corner for 9 years. He went to the top of the ladder with the info. I'm not absolving the guy at all - he's a coward in the 1st degree for not stopping it when he first saw it and for clamming up after he saw nothing being done about it. But in my book, he's still a small notch under those who were absolute authority and chose to bury the atrocity and save a brand and fellow authority figure.

I'm not a father, but I can imagine that if my kid got assaulted to this degree, and another grown man was in a position to stop it at the time and chose not to, I'd want to kill him more than anyone else involved sans the actual abuser.

Even if you absolve McQueary for initially reporting it to Paterno instead of the authorities, there is no defending his lack of follow-up when he saw the inaction on the part of the PSU athletic department, of which he was a staff member.

On Francessa, he has had an axe to grind with PSU for years. Why? I don't know.

When Kim first comes on, she begins to apologize. ( he says that is not necessary-by Francessas standards, it is ok for Kim to be a PSU alumni-he will allow it). After he interrupted her, she is apologizing for having a cold- oh, Francessa could not fathom that. His piety gets in the way.

Francessa lives for this type of stuff. He loves to see the mighty fall, because it moves him up one notch in the grand scheme of life. He will place thoughts in peoples heads based on his own determination. Truth be damned.

Funny, when it is his friends that are involved in scandal, he becomes mum.

He is an oaf with an opinion I do not give much thought to.

Have fun in State College, Kim.

Your post is disturbing. She is a Penn State Alum who covered the team while all this is going on, and your statement is what you take away from it? Why, because Joe Pa looked at you and asked how finals were going? Did your heart race, did you feel a stirring in your loins? Did you go back to your dorm room and stare lovingly at Joe Pa's picture?

It seems the evidence is overwhelming to all except the Penn State/Joe Pa apologists that Joe was wrong and needs to go. He did many great things during his time at Penn State. But this is terrible, and as an alum you need to call the school and tell them that.

Even if you absolve McQueary for initially reporting it to Paterno instead of the authorities, there is no defending his lack of follow-up when he saw the inaction on the part of the PSU athletic department, of which he was a staff member.

That's the NCAA in a nutshell. Right there. Anything to protect the status quo ----> anything to protect the program.

McCreary walked into the lockerroom and saw a 58 yr old naked man raping a naked 10 yr old boy. Does McCreary yell, scream, do anything to stop the rape? No. He runs out of the gym.

He runs home. Does he call the cops? No. He tells his father and his father tells him to tell JoePa. McCreary goes to JoePa the next day and tells him, but does nothing else. He then becomes one of JoePa's coaches later.

There is no such thing as a "chain of command" when a crime is committed. McCreary watched a boy get raped AND DID NOTHING. JoePa, Curley, or Shulz were not EYE WITNESSES to a crime. McCreary was. And he did nothing.

Just note, I put Curley and Shulz and the admin in a different category from "failure to report." They're in the coverup group. JoePa is in the "failure to report group."

I'm not a father, but I can imagine that if my kid got assaulted to this degree, and another grown man was in a position to stop it at the time and chose not to, I'd want to kill him more than anyone else involved sans the actual abuser.

I am a father.

There was a "hypothetical situation" where in a parallel universe someone I knew named "Larry" had a son who was put in danger by his own mother (not in a sexual way, but highly dangerous and inappropriate none the less). A supposed friend of "Larry's" failed to tell him that he was aware of this incident for 4 months. Let's just say that Larry is no longer friends with that guy, and there is an implied understanding that if that guy comes around Larry he might leave without half his teeth. Larry is still very angry to this day.

As for this incident, if it were my son I would be on a killing rampage.

I'm not a McCreary fan here at all. He's coward scum. But how is he worse than the 3 guys that knowingly put their heads on pillows and went to sleep 3,200 plus times knowing that they were in charge and responsible for allowing this active predator to keep raping little boys. McCreary could and should have come forward - but how is he worse for being a coward?

I'm not a McCreary fan here at all. He's coward scum. But how is he worse than the 3 guys that knowingly put their heads on pillows and went to sleep 3,200 plus times knowing that they were in charge and responsible for allowing this active predator to keep raping little boys. McCreary could and should have come forward - but how is he worse for being a coward?

Because he did the same in order to get a job in the PSU athletic department. He is the only eyewitness to a crime and does nothing.

McCreary can't say he "turned a blind eye" to the predator's crime. He saw it first hand and did nothing.

Because there is no greater legal responsibility for Curley, Schultz, or Paterno to report a second- or third-hand account of a crime being committed than the man who witnessed the incident first-hand. Once he knew that nothing was being done by the AD, McQueary should have come forward and reported Sandusky to the authorities himself. Instead, he went on with his life and held down a cush job on Paterno's staff. It's unconscionable and I don't see how anyone can defend his actions.

That's the NCAA in a nutshell. Right there. Anything to protect the status quo ----> anything to protect the program.

Yes, but we're not talking recruiting violations, Peter Warrick stealing some shirts, or Luther Campbell stuffing money in Alonzo Highsmith's jacket though.... I couldn't care less about that nonsense. This trumps pretty much every other program transgression combined.

Yes, but we're not talking recruiting violations, Peter Warrick stealing some shirts, or Luther Campbell stuffing money in Alonzo Highsmith's jacket though.... I couldn't care less about that nonsense. This trumps pretty much every other program transgression combined.

That's the point though. This wasn't some snowball rolling down a mountain of ice that came out of nowhere. Rapes, assaults, drugs...etc, we've seen it previously. You create this type of self-reinforcing policy on an organizational level and it's really only a matter of time before the really heinous sh*t starts presenting itself in the institutions.

Because there is no greater legal responsibility for Curley, Schultz, or Paterno to report a second- or third-hand account of a crime being committed than the man who witnessed the incident first-hand. Once he knew that nothing was being done by the AD, McQueary should have come forward and reported Sandusky to the authorities himself. Instead, he went on with his life and held down a cush job on Paterno's staff. It's unconscionable and I don't see how anyone can defend his actions.

Spot on, JH.

JoePa's explanation was full of legaleese, but it was accurate. Everything McCreary told him was hearsay. He witness the crime first hand, never told the police, never followed up, kept his mouth shut to keep his job on JoePa's staff. He couldve even done an annonymous phone call to the cops. But he did nothing.

Simply deplorable and indefensible.

That's the point though. This wasn't some snowball rolling down a mountain of ice that came out of nowhere. Rapes, assaults, drugs...etc, we've seen it previously. You create this type of self-reinforcing policy on an organizational level and it's really only a matter of time before the really heinous sh*t starts presenting itself in the institutions.

Usually in fiction it's the coverup of a campus murder.

This was a byeproduct of the nature of the system.

Because not only was he a first hand witness, he later took a job from the people who did nothing when he gave them the information. I mean, obviously a man of character would have intervened right there, but to watch and KNOW that the institution you ultimately are going to take a job from (could this job have come at the price of his silence??) an institution that you know sat on this information? That's like realizing "hey, you guys are the devil!! Mind giving me a job here in hell!!??" I wonder how he felt when he watched Sandusky walk into the practice in 2007 with another little boy in tow.

You make it sound like an easy situation to deal with. That's a pretty traumatic thing to witness, I wouldn't blame him for being freaked out, intervening and planning to kick the sh*t out of him sounds well and good, but what if he pulls a knife on you, or the kid? You know the guy is a heartless, shameless **** as it is. You're talking about a very twisted and potentially dangerous individual.

Not reporting it to the police was beyond inexcusable though, for both him and JP.

He was naked, where the hell is he hiding the knife?

http://www.nytimes.c...tml?_r=3&src=tp

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Joe Paterno’s tenure as coach of the Penn State football team will soon be over, perhaps within days or weeks, in the wake of a sex-abuse scandal that has implicated university officials, according to two people briefed on conversations among the university’s top officials.

thequad163.jpg

thequad75.jpg

Interviews, insight and analysis from The Times on the competition and culture of college football.

Go to The Quad Blog

Division I-A

Division I-AA

The board of trustees has yet to determine the precise timing of Paterno’s exit, but it is clear that the man who has more victories than any other coach at college football’s top level and who made Penn State a prestigious national brand will not survive to coach another season. Discussions about how to manage his departure have begun, according to the two people.

Paterno was to have held a news conference Tuesday but the university canceled it less than an hour before it was scheduled to start.

At age 84 and with 46 seasons as the Penn State head coach behind him, Paterno’s extraordinary run of success — one that produced tens of millions of dollars for the school and two national championships, and that established him as one of the nation’s most revered leaders, will end with a stunning and humiliating final chapter.

Jerry Sandusky, a former defensive coordinator under Paterno, has been charged with sexually abusing eight boys across a 15-year period, and Paterno has been widely criticized for failing to involve the police when he learned of an allegation of one assault of a young boy in 2002.

Additionally, two top university officials — Gary Schultz, the senior vice president for finance and business, and Tim Curley, the athletic director — were charged with perjury and failure to report to authorities what they knew of the allegations, as required by state law.

Since Sandusky’s arrest Saturday, Penn State — notably its president, Graham Spanier, and Paterno — have come under withering criticism for a failure to act adequately after learning, at different points over the years, that Sandusky might have been abusing children. Newspapers have called for their resignations; prosecutors have suggested their inaction led to more children being harmed by Sandusky; and students and faculty at the university have expressed a mix of disgust and confusion, and a hope that much of what prosecutors have charged is not true.

On Monday law enforcement officials said that Paterno had met his legal obligation in alerting his superiors at the university when he learned of the 2002 allegation against Sandusky. But they suggested he might well have failed a moral test for what to do when confronted with such a disturbing allegation involving a child not even in his teens. No one at the university alerted the police or pursued the matter to determine the well-being of the child involved. The identity of that child remains unknown, according to the Attorney General.

Paterno has not been charged in the matter, but his failure to report to authorities what he knew about the 2002 incident, in which Sandusky allegedly sexually assaulted a young boy at Penn State’s football complex, has become a flashpoint, stirring anger among the board members and an outpouring of public criticism about his handling of the matter.

In recent days Paterno has lost the support of many board members, and their conversations illustrate a decisive shift in the power structure at the university. In 2004, for instance, Paterno brushed off a request by the university president that he step down.

Paterno came to Penn State in 1950 as a 23-year-old assistant coach making $3,600 a year. He planned to stay for two seasons, to pay off his student loans from Brown University, where he earned a degree in English literature.

He became the head coach in 1966, and he has been widely credited with helping spearhead the Penn State football program and the rest of the university from a local enterprise into a national brand. Along the way, Beaver Stadium grew to 108,000 seats from 29,000 and Penn State’s endowment grew from virtually nothing to more than $1 billion.

What separated Paterno from many of his coaching peers until this week was that he did this with few questions about how he grew the program. Penn State’s lofty graduation rates and education-first ideals, known as Paterno’s Grand Experiment, became as synonymous with the program as its plain uniforms and dominating defenses.

Paterno led Penn State to national titles in the 1982 and 1986 seasons, and he complemented the on-field success with the reputation of a throwback sideline professor, whose tie, thick glasses and black Nike coaching shoes became as predictable in Northeast autumns as the changing foliage.

Paterno’s reach on campus extended well beyond the football program. He and his wife, Sue, have donated more than $4 million to the university. On campus, everything from an ice cream flavor at the Creamery to a library now bears his name.

“There’s no individual in the entire 120- or 130-year history of the university that has had a greater impact on the institution than Joe Paterno,” Larry Foster, a former trustee and a president of the alumni association, told The New York Times in 2004. “He’s just reached into so many areas.”

http://twitter.com/#!/RappUp/status/133958066436706304

The Times article confirms what I heard this morning. The Board of Trustees voted Paterno out, he was asked to resign and refused

I don't know who Joe Rapp is, But he tweeted that the Board of Trustees asked Paterno to resign and he refused. If this is true I would imagine he will be fired today.

If you look back I posted where I actually saw McQueary at this retro diner on campus called Baby's. He was sitting in the corner crying, it was the night of a gameday where he pretty much crapped the bed in the game at QB. I remember thinking at the time that it was such a pu$$y thing to do. Honestly, I'm not surprised by his reaction. He had a reputation for being a wuss even outside of what I saw.

Jokingly, my friend and I used to ask "Who did McQeary have pictures of, in order to get his jom?"

It is not so funny any more

Jokingly, my friend and I used to ask "Who did McQeary have pictures of, in order to get his jom?"

It is not so funny any more

Unfortunately not anymore. But I definitely felt that way as well. On a totally unrelated note, man do I miss Baby's disco fries!

Archived