Browns to let Peyton Hillis walk after season

Mogglez

Barring a significant turnaround, the Cleveland Browns are prepared to let running back Peyton Hilliswalk after this season, The Plain Dealer reported Saturday, citing league sources.

"It's one thing after another, and what's been out there isn't even the half of it," one source told the newspaper.

"Guys are growing tired of the distractions and always wondering what's next," one Browns player told The Associated Press.

Backup quarterback

Seneca Wallace confirmed a report that veteran Browns players belonging to the team's "leadership group" encircled Hillis for an intervention-style meeting this week to encourage him to remain focused on football.

"I think everybody's noticed a little bit of a change in him, but he could have some family issues or something," Wallace told The Plain Dealer. "Maybe his priorities have changed. We have a whole new staff, so a lot of things have changed. Maybe some of it's overblown."

One player who attended the Hillis meeting told The Associated Press it was a "very positive conversation."

Still, some players were piqued to see Hillis leave Cleveland to get married in Arkansas last Tuesday instead of getting treatment on the injured hamstring that

he tweaked again Friday. The Browns officially downgraded Hillis on Saturday, ruling him out for Sunday's game against the Texans.

Hillis erupted onto the scene last season by carrying the Browns' offense with 1,177 rushing yards and 11 touchdowns. He's appeared in only four games this year, battling an assortment of injuries and rushing for just 211 yards. The question now is when -- or if -- he'll be seen again in Cleveland's backfield."Of course we're going to be a little upset if Peyton's not in there getting his treatment," said Wallace. "We're a team, and we rely on each other. But if he felt he wanted to go get married that day, that's his business. You never really know what a person is going through. You don't know what type of influences a person might have. I don't know the stuff that Peyton has going on in his life."

It highlights yet another long, painful season for a city that -- if you're under the age of 25 -- has almost no memory of this team's once proud achievements.

Just a thought but, does anyone think there might be a chance we try to pick him up if this really happens???

Peyton Hillis as a free agent signing? No thanks. He's an overrated player because of one solid season. In 08 he rushed for 343 yards and 5 TD's. 09 he rushed for 54 yards and 1 TD. Last year, yes, he rushed for 1,177 yards and 11 TD's but so what? That's only an average of 73.5 yards per game. Nothing special. This year he's only played 4 games with 211 rushing yards. I hate to say it, but the only reason why Hillis has became this overrated is because of his skin color at the RB position.

Now, I love the tough running style of Shonn Greene, but if the Jets truly want a dynamic back such as a Peterson, McFadden, Ray Rice, Jones-Drew, LeSean McCoy, Matt Forte etc, etc... We'd have to draft one during the 1st or 2nd rounds of the draft, because an overrated 250 pound (should be FB) in Hillis isn't the answer during free agency.

Peyton Hillis as a free agent signing? No thanks. He's an overrated player because of one solid season. In 08 he rushed for 343 yards and 5 TD's. 09 he rushed for 54 yards and 1 TD. Last year, yes, he rushed for 1,177 yards and 11 TD's but so what? That's only an average of 73.5 yards per game. Nothing special. This year he's only played 4 games with 211 rushing yards. I hate to say it, but the only reason why Hillis has became this overrated is because of his skin color at the RB position.

Now, I love the tough running style of Shonn Greene, but if the Jets truly want a dynamic back such as a Peterson, McFadden, Ray Rice, Jones-Drew, LeSean McCoy, Matt Forte etc, etc... We'd have to draft one during the 1st or 2nd rounds of the draft, because an overrated 250 pound (should be FB) in Hillis isn't the answer during free agency.

Agree with you on drafting a running back in the early rounds. Maybe not in '12 but certainly after next season when we've seen what McKNight and Powell have to offer (assuming LT retires). I don't want Hillis either, but I don't think 11 TDs and nearly 1800 yards has much to do with his skin color. Those are monster numbers no matter what background. I personally think he sandbaggin on purpose to get out of Cleveland and collect a bigger check elsewhere. This could backfire if his reputation gets soiled any further...even an 1800 yd back will lose cash if he's labeled a douche.

but I don't think 11 TDs and nearly 1800 yards has much to do with his skin color. Those are monster numbers no matter what background. even an 1800 yd back will lose cash if he's labeled a douche.

Hillis has never came close to rushing for 1800 yards...

His career high was 1,177 rushing yards last season.

Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Hillis was on the bronco's in 08 and 09 and never given a legitimate shot up until last year. I was at the Jets-Broncos game where he ate us alive and I personally feel the guy is a very good back. However, that being said, I wasn't trying to say lets completely give up on Greene. I love the guy. But if the price is right and we have the opportunity to snag Hillis, I say do it.

To be fair you really need to add in the number of attempts.

2008 / 68 att / 343 yards / 5.0 avg

2009 / 13 att / 54 yards / 4.2 avg

2010 / 270 att / 1177 yards / 4.4 avg

2011 / 60 att / 211 yards / 3.5 avg (current year)

No offense, but you're the one who's the friggin' racist. 1800 yards, 61 rec, 4.4 ypc, and 13 TD's in 14 starts, and the only reason anyone gave him kudos last year was his skin color?

Guy was an outstanding RB last year and he blows this year and I wouldn't want any part of a player that needs a team full of Cleveland Browns to have an intervention meeting with him in a contract year. But the league has never had a shortage of talented, bad-attitude players who don't take their once-in-a-lifetime opportunity seriously. Next you'll tell us that the reason Jamarcus Russell flopped at QB is because he's black and not because he's the fat, lazy, useless sack of garbage that he is.

Take a look in the mirror, pal. You don't exactly have a history of calling out 1-year-wonders at positions all over the field, on any NFL team, unless it's a RB who doesn't fit your racial requirement.

The piece POS is totally hosing my fantasy team - I want nothing to do with him hosing the Jets.

For some reason, Matt Forte is able to play football and not require a team intervention to help him get over the contract he signed.

Archived