Jets can no longer hide Sanchez

Kentucky Jet

Jets can no longer hide Mark Sanchez

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 18, 2011, 1:09 AM EST

m-sanchezreact.jpg?w=176 AP

The headlines from Thursday night’s game will be about Tim Tebow. They should be about the lack of progress by the Jets offense in year three of the Mark Sanchez era.

The Jets defense is the same as it ever was, a Super Bowl caliber group. It played a sensational game on Thursday night, and any moderately competent offense and quarterback would have easily put the Broncos away before Tebowmania took hold.

Consider: The Broncos started five possessions in Jets territory. They got three points out of those five chances.

In the 10 drives leading into Denver’s game-winning march, the Broncos had two first downs. Denver went three and out eight times in that span, including four straight times. It was as dominant a defensive performance as you’ll see.

At this point, all the Jets ask Mark Sanchez to do is not make the big mistake. He still made it, delivering seven points to the Broncos on a game-changing third quarter pick six.

Throws like that make the Jets run on third down and punt the ball away instead of playing to win. Throws like that make Rex Ryan play it conservative even when the Jets face a terrible secondary like the Patriots. The Jets don’t trust their quarback.

Sanchez is leading the same streaky offense with non-stop slants that puttered around .500 into December in 2009.

You can only hide your quarterback for so long, and Sanchez’s stagnation is plain for everyone to see.

Greg, I could not agree more. I posted last week, after NE game, when is Sanchez going to stop making rookie mistakes and start playing to his advertised potential? Needless to say, I was shot at from numerous posters.

Well, I rest my case. Play calling did suck, and Shotty is overrated as an OC (same as Sanchez is a QB...by the same guy), but Sanchez continues to make the same mistakes. His pick-6 was his usual staring down a receiver and the CB said "thanks" and off to the end zone. Turns out, that is the play that cost the Jets the game.

Sanchez is average- at best. But until those that continue to defend their draft pick are in charge, nothing will change. I think it may be time for Rex to go if the Jets want to move forward as an organization. Woody, though, will never do that, not until the entire organization is in turmoil.

I was one that said lets give this kid a chance....I am afraid that I was wrong.

At this point in time...I think Manning in a Jets uniform calling the offense next year looks really good to me. I am willing to concede that Sanchez is not the answer and neither is Shotty.

A pedestrian backup/journey man QB, like Kyle Orton, would be exponentially better than Sanchez with the talent the Jets have on offense. I do not want Orton, but I think some of the dregs in this league would actually be an upgrade.

Honestly, the question is really which QBs who've started games this year would we not be better with.

Draft a QB in the 2nd round and groom him so he is ready to take the controls if Sanchez by the end of his contract is still the same doe eyed mistake machine that we are seeing for the past three years. Three pick sixes this year alone should indicate that this QB is not the answer.

LL

Draft a QB in the 2nd round and groom him so he is ready to take the controls if Sanchez by the end of his contract is still the same doe eyed mistake machine that we are seeing for the past three years. Three pick sixes this year alone should indicate that this QB is not the answer.

LL

Why ******* wait until the second round. We've seen in the past how valuable a good QB can be in this league. If they want to move on, you go all-in on a QB. Preferably one that didn't just have one season starting in college.

LL

Tanny and Rex won't survive another "grooming" process. If the Jets are moving on from Sanchez they're going all-in like JVOR said. That's trading/signing a vet

I've been converted. I can understand losing to NE but making the friggin Broncos look like the 00' Ravens is too much for me to stomach.

Sanchez has inexplicably regressed into a bottom feeding QB... no awareness, no presence, no confidence. Sad day in Jets land.

I've been converted. I can understand losing to NE but making the friggin Broncos look like the 00' Ravens is too much for me to stomach.

Sanchez has inexplicably regressed into a bottom feeding QB... no awareness, no presence, no confidence. Sad day in Jets land.

So your human now, wow, welcome to the club

def surprised by this

Tanny and Rex won't survive another "grooming" process. If the Jets are moving on from Sanchez they're going all-in like JVOR said. That's trading/signing a vet

I think the Jets are tied in with these guys now. I think they like the idea of stability and the fact is they did go to two AFC Title games with no QB. That is impressive. I think these guys will be here for a long time and will actually get another "era" of team to work with. I think its really up to them as to how they want to handle it. I think if they want to trade a whole draft for Luck they can. If they want to go the journeyman route and spend money/draft picks on the o-line and running game I think they can. Barring back to back 5 win seasons I think these guys have a few years to do whatever they think is in the best interest of the team

It's this simple.

Fire Schotty. Trade whatever is necccesscary for Peyton Manning. Promote Tom Moore.

Can you imagine Peyton Manning with our defense? Are you serious? Let's ******* do this. I'm sick of Sanchez's inconsistency, I'm sick of him locking down his receivers, I'm sick of him giving Tom Brady and extra 30 seconds in the two-minute warning, I'm sick of him throwing a pick to Byrd on the 8 yard line, I'm sick of him throwing in double coverage. This defense has been bailing him out for three ******* years, and it's time to get a QB who can bail out the defense for a change.

The Pats game was on him. Our defense did great in the 1st half against the Pats but we failed to score and take the lead. Tom Brady and BB figured somethings out and totally dismantled us.

You guys know it and so do I. Sanchez CANNOT take this team to the Super Bowl. You guys think he's in the same class as Aaron Rodgers? Tom Brady? I put him in the same class as Tavaris Jackson and Rex Grossman. That's exactly who he reminds me of in fact, Rex Grossman.

Trade for Manning before it's too late.

I think the Jets are tied in with these guys now. I think they like the idea of stability and the fact is they did go to two AFC Title games with no QB. That is impressive. I think these guys will be here for a long time and will actually get another "era" of team to work with. I think its really up to them as to how they want to handle it. I think if they want to trade a whole draft for Luck they can. If they want to go the journeyman route and spend money/draft picks on the o-line and running game I think they can. Barring back to back 5 win seasons I think these guys have a few years to do whatever they think is in the best interest of the team

Really? You think Luck is actually in the conversation?

I still feel like we'll be drafting in the late teens. How do we get to Luck?

I think he was talking in hypotheticals.

There is no way in hell Indy trades Luck. None. Zip.

The Jets could trade them every pick in 2012 and 2013 and it still wouldn't get it done.

SMC is right. I just meant if they could there is nobody standing in their way. I cant see any way they could trade for him. Manning sure. Luck no chance.

SMC is right. I just meant if they could there is nobody standing in their way. I cant see any way they could trade for him. Manning sure. Luck no chance.

How would a trade like that be fiscally possible? Would the Jets assume the 20-30 mil contract next year or would they likely restructure... any way possible you see being able to keep Sanchez as well?

Would there even be a market for Sancez...

How would a trade like that be fiscally possible? Would the Jets assume the 20-30 mil contract next year or would they likely restructure... any way possible you see being able to keep Sanchez as well?

Would there even be a market for Sancez...

No market for Sanchez. The Jets would cut him and Manning would cost a few million more in cap space. At this point the Manning deal would be around 16 million a year which is less than Vick, Eli, etc...People get worked up over the dollar figure of the bonus, but the salaries themselves are not high.

www.nyjetscap.com/jetsmanning.php

No market for Sanchez. The Jets would cut him and Manning would cost a few million more in cap space. At this point the Manning deal would be around 16 million a year which is less than Vick, Eli, etc...People get worked up over the dollar figure of the bonus, but the salaries themselves are not high.

www.nyjetscap.com/jetsmanning.php

thanks..

I have a real hard time believing Tanny would cut ties with Sanchez after they've invested so much time and money -- not to mention the success they've had.

This Manning thing might just be a pipe dream.

Archived