Personnel changes you'd like to see made other than Sanchez

Matt39

Major issues at right tackle, running back, both tight ends, probably need another WR. Good lord we need a safety, OLB.

I'd venture to say this team is even overachieving. With a bad QB, at least have a decent guy to hand the ball to. Our best running back is 32 years old.

We need a guard pretty badly as well. Moore has the experience, but he hasn't been performing at the high level he had been previously as well. Slauson is just meh. For a team that wants to run the ball, we don't invest a whole lot in terms of blue-chip talent on the line and in our backfield.

A safety is the biggest problem for the defense, obviously. But overall we are so slow in the front 7. Stout, but slow.

Not big on our RBs, but don't really look at that as the problem. That's probably also because I think RB is the most interchangeable and easiest to find position in this league.

On offense, we need to get Hunter and Mulligan replaced. Outside of the QB, they're the ones causing the most issues. I think with a decent QB, we'd be perfectly fine on offense, but that's not the crux of your thread, so we don't need to go too far down that route.

I think Keller is fine. He's an idiot who's definitely worthy of the criticism at times, but he's a solid player in this league. Maybe not worth his draft slot, and we need another TE, but he's not as bad as people make him out to be either.

Defense is the safeties and OLB as you say. We have the worst starting safeties in the league, I'd guess, and this falls on Tannenbaum, Eric Smith is the last one he drafted and that was in 2006, and Jim Leonhard really should have been nothing more than a transitional piece between Mangini's defense and Rex's. At OLB, Gholston busting hurt us pretty badly I think. We have no one who can get into the backfield on their own ability, and we wasted a high pick on that position that never panned out.

Trades helped and hurt us. We see now what giving up all those picks for Jenkins, Favre, Sanchez, and Cromartie has done. The team has and has had good high end talent, but there are some places where we're just in big trouble.

Schotty, When you're offense is bad in every facet, you have to take a look at the system. 2 probowlers on O line and we can't run or pass with any consistency.

Up until recently, I can never rember watching a jets game and dreading the offense taking the field.

Was Schotty the OC when Herm said " punting the ball is a good thing" ?

I agree the backs are interchangeable- but if we're going to trot Sanchez's garbage a$$ out there we need a playmaker at the position, aka someone that can bust a big play and catch a pass. Greene just sucks at everything.

I've already seen enough of Powell.

It will be interesting to see what the team decides to do with Keller

Surprisingly, I don't see a lot of personnel changes needed. Outside of QB, this is the priority list for me:

1. Starting FS that can cover. I'm fine with Leonhard, be him together with Smith is a disaster. I'd be okay with Smith still being on the team if he wasn't the starter.

2. Every down OLB with pass rushing.

3. Solid RT. Does Duccasse make the leap? Who knows, but the Jets at least need a JAG RT, which Hunter isn't even that.

4. Backup TE for quality 2 TE sets. Mulligan has to go. When you're a blocking TE and can't block, that's a world of hurt.

5. Punter.

We'll be alright in the other positions so even though I agree with EY about RB, it shouldn't be a priority. We have a good enough RB corp to complement a quality starting QB (whom the Jets hypothetically will have next year).

Please, God if you are listening. Help the Jets draft some Safeties. We have, by far, the worst starting safety combo in the league. A short undersized safety and a brusing plodder of a safety. Can they cover the Tigh ends? No. Can they provide sufficient over the top coverage help to Revis and Cro? No. Can they play the run? Yeah. Are they an asset? Hell no.

So Safeties need to be REPLACED. Bye Bye Leonard and Smith.

We need an Outside linebacker with the ability to rush the QB. Pace has been good and maybin goes at one speed BUT we need someone who can eat a tackle's lunch and rape the QB. We have NO ONE on this team who can do that. Check out Von Miller, that dude ate Mark for dinner last night.

So we need an OLB..get rid of Bryan Thomas.

We need to start grooming a new QB. Draft him in the 2nd or third round and groom him until Mark's contract is up. Then slide him in. Mark is done.

So we need a new QB.

Hunter sucks.

We need 2 O-lineman (at least one who can step in as a C when Mangold gets injured)

Mulligan blows chunks.

Just cut that dude. Mulligan, bye bye.

RB help. Bilal powell sucks chunks. Greene looks fragile. Tomlinson is done.

We need an RB replacement. Keep McKnight in there, he showed some flashes and he is awesome on Special teams (except for the fumble).

We need a WR who can stretch the D deep.

Draft a speedster...

Lots on that Jets Drafting shopping list.

LL

Not big on our RBs, but don't really look at that as the problem. That's probably also because I think RB is the most interchangeable and easiest to find position in this league.

On offense, we need to get Hunter and Mulligan replaced. Outside of the QB, they're the ones causing the most issues. I think with a decent QB, we'd be perfectly fine on offense, but that's not the crux of your thread, so we don't need to go too far down that route.

I think Keller is fine. He's an idiot who's definitely worthy of the criticism at times, but he's a solid player in this league. Maybe not worth his draft slot, and we need another TE, but he's not as bad as people make him out to be either.

Defense is the safeties and OLB as you say. We have the worst starting safeties in the league, I'd guess, and this falls on Tannenbaum, Eric Smith is the last one he drafted and that was in 2006, and Jim Leonhard really should have been nothing more than a transitional piece between Mangini's defense and Rex's. At OLB, Gholston busting hurt us pretty badly I think. We have no one who can get into the backfield on their own ability, and we wasted a high pick on that position that never panned out.

Trades helped and hurt us. We see now what giving up all those picks for Jenkins, Favre, Sanchez, and Cromartie has done. The team has and has had good high end talent, but there are some places where we're just in big trouble.

Not only Gholston, the only guy remaining on the team from the 2008 Jets draft is Dustin Keller.

Fire Tanny and Hire Casserly (yeah yeah I know it will never happen) DO NOT extend Shotty

Once thats done

Safety

OLB would be nice since our LB crew is slow and getting old. In no way after the Injury should Brian Thomas be back. ILB I think Scott may be nearing the End can Muaga take over ? Our LB situation got real bad real quick.

RB's who could catch the football would be nice.

A young WR who could stretch the field.

Depth on the O-Line is a must and a Starting RT - Hunter can be a viable back up hes not an every day starter.

Blocking TE's .....Mulligan is a disaster.

OLB, RT, 1 new guard, 2nd TE, 2 new safeties and a new WR. #1 on the list is a new OC

I think Keller is fine just never gets used which is on Schotty for not designing plays for him. Cumberland seemed ok and a 2 TE set with him and Keller could be good for the future though it wouldve been good to see it this year instead he got hurt.

We need to replace both Leonard AND Smith. Eric Smith all around just blows and Leonard missing that tackle for a safety was the game. I like Pool as one starting safety but a high draft pick should be used on the other. Have no issue going with Leonard and Pool next year and giving the drafted guy a year to learn.

Plax is too average and I actually miss Braylon. draft a receiver with another high pick. Like kerley but he should stay as #3.

Hunter blows. Unless Vlad shows something in the offseason a new T should be brought in with FA or the draft.

Draft priority for our 6 picks (i think we have 6): Safety, OLB, WR, OL, OL, TE I guess though I want to see Cumberland.

Cut Hunter

Cut Mulligan

Make Smith a back up

Let Shotty walk and promote Callahan

Sign a Guard (Moores been below avg after the surgery) or RT

Let Plax walk and sign one of the many big name Wrs (Colsten)

Sign Back up QB

Sign Punter

Draft 1st pick OLB or Safety 2nd Safety or OLB 3rd OLine 4th Wr 5th Oline 6th ILB 7th best Special Teamer

I agree with all of this.

RT, blocking TE, safety, OLB

<p>

Not big on our RBs, but don't really look at that as the problem.  That's probably also because I think RB is the most interchangeable and easiest to find position in this league.

On offense, we need to get Hunter and Mulligan replaced.  Outside of the QB, they're the ones causing the most issues.  I think with a decent QB, we'd be perfectly fine on offense, but that's not the crux of your thread, so we don't need to go too far down that route.

I think Keller is fine.  He's an idiot who's definitely worthy of the criticism at times, but he's a solid player in this league.  Maybe not worth his draft slot, and we need another TE, but he's not as bad as people make him out to be either.

Defense is the safeties and OLB as you say.  We have the worst starting safeties in the league, I'd guess, and this falls on Tannenbaum, Eric Smith is the last one he drafted and that was in 2006, and Jim Leonhard really should have been nothing more than a transitional piece between Mangini's defense and Rex's.  At OLB, Gholston busting hurt us pretty badly I think.  We have no one who can get into the backfield on their own ability, and we wasted a high pick on that position that never panned out.

Trades helped and hurt us.  We see now what giving up all those picks for Jenkins, Favre, Sanchez, and Cromartie has done.  The team has and has had good high end talent, but there are some places where we're just in big trouble.

Love this answer you hit the nail on the head we need to get some O Line help badly and i think this draft is deep for OT and we need an OLB that comes off the edge like his hair is on fire. This draft is thin at safety so I hope there are some free agents out there that we can sign

-Legit guy to come in and compete with Slauson

-Start grooming replacements for Thomas, Pace, Scott, Pouha, and Moore via mid-late rounds or FA. Unless we're just sliding DeVito into the middle with Ropati taking over the strong side re: Pouha. Or Ellis, but he's light years away from an objective evaluation.

-Start grooming Wilson's replacement in the nickel for when he eventually fills Cro's role.

-Replacement for Hunter

-Replacement for Sanchez

-Replacement for Plax

-Replacement for Keller

-Replacement for Smith

-Replacement for Leonhard

-Replacement for Schott

For a normal team, things would play out like this:

1st Round pick on Alshon Jeffries... very possible if we end up 8-8ish.

Remaining draft get a safety, maybe another safety, blocking TE, OL and OLB prospects.

Hope Ducasse makes the leap, continue developing McIntyre Maybin and Westerman...

But the Jets aren't a normal team, so they probably pack up their 1st and 2nd and 3rd for Manning, and still get toasted next year because we can't pass protect, can't run the ball, and can't rush the passer.

Archived