Jets' Slauson says former college teammate Suh 'out of control'

Maxman

http://www.nypost.co...S1Ti4VvUGhd44pN

By BART HUBBUCH

Last Updated: 4:37 PM, November 25, 2011

Posted: 3:56 PM, November 25, 2011

EXCLUSIVE

Jets guard Matt Slauson played with Ndamukong Suh at Nebraska, but Slauson definitely is no fan of his controversial former teammate.

A day after Suh was ejected from the Lions' loss to Green Bay for another over-the-line incident, Slauson blasted the Detroit defensive lineman as "out of control" and wondered if Suh needs medical help.

"Somebody needs to get him under control, because he's trying to hurt people," Slauson said in an exclusive interview with the Post after practice Friday. "It's one thing to be an incredibly physical player and a tenacious player, but it's another thing to set out to end that guy's career."

134048788155417--300x300.jpg

Getty Images

Ndamukong Suh of the Detroit Lions.

Suh, who already has been fined $42,500 by the NFL for dirty play in less than two full seasons and recently met with commissioner Roger Goodell to discuss his behavior, appears to be facing another hefty fine and a suspension after stomping the right arm of Packers lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith in the third quarter of a 27-15 Detroit loss.

Suh was ejected, but Slauson said much more dramatic action is warranted -- and soon -- against the player who was his college mate from 2005-08.

"I have no idea what the league can do, because apparently what they're doing now isn't working," Slauson said. "I don't know what's going on with him, but something isn't right. I mean, they've fined him out the butt, but he still doesn't think he's doing anything wrong. I don't know what they're going to have to do, but something has to be done."

An NFL spokesman said plays from Week 12 that would be reviewed for potential discipline will be done under normal circumstances, after all games are completed.

Suh's postgame explanation that he merely lost his balance also didn't fly with Slauson, who described it as "delusional."

Urgency is necessary, Slauson said, because of the obvious malice in Suh's illegal on-field actions.

"Last year, when he got fined for the takedowns on the quarterbacks, it looked like he was trying to kill them," Slauson said. "I'm all for physicality, but within the framework of the game. I know it takes a different type of person to be a defensive lineman -- you've kinda got to be a jerk who wants to take the quarterback's head off. But you [shouldn't] literally want to kill them like he does."

Suh wasn't considered a head case by NFL scouts after a celebrated career at Nebraska that didn't include any on-field incidents, but

Slauson said Suh was a different player in practice while in college.

Slauson said there were at least two ugly incidents involving Suh and other players during practice at Nebraska that Slauson

witnessed but that went unreported.

Slauson said "I prefer not to say" when asked if those two practice incidents involved Suh stomping on teammates' limbs or similar cheap shots.

But as a result of those acts and Suh's generally unpredictable temper, Slauson said Suh wasn't popular at all with his college teammates.

"He was well-respected for his ability, but everybody kind of knew who he was," Slauson said. "He wasn't well-liked."

The subsequent problems in the NFL haven't made Suh any more popular within the Nebraska football program, Slauson said.

"There's a lot of people in Nebraska that aren't very pleased right now," Slauson said. "The University of Nebraska has always prided itself on producing high-character guys, and [he isn't one of them]."

Slauson said he doesn't envy Goodell and the rest of the league's discipline makers when it comes to figuring out what's next for Suh.

"He sat down with Goodell, and I assume Goodell laid out everything," Slauson said. "So I don't know if [suh] was just ignoring him or seriously doesn't understand [the difference between right and wrong]. He's a really smart guy, so I don't know what's going on.

"I don't know if he's got a screw loose or if he's trying to make himself the villain [for marketing purposes], but whatever he's doing is wrong and it's got to be fixed."

With AP

bhubbuch@nypost.com

I am not saying it is a bro-crush or isn't a bro-crush. Really at this time all I can do is categorically deny that it is a bro-crush. But I am also denying that it will never be a bro-crush.

Really what we need to do here is take a step back and let things play themselves out, naturally, over time.

Slauson is 100% correct. The league has to do something in regards to this piece of sh*t. It's to the point where fines are no longer enough, and if suspensions/anger management help doesn't work... He'll have to become banned from the league. I'm not sure I've ever seen a defensive lineman as dirty/rotten/unprofessional as Suh. I certainly can't remember the last time I've seen a defensive lineman as cruel as this guy. If you watch the video over and over again, you'll see that the kick may have looked bad, but the grabbing of the helmet, and the repeated banging of that guy's head against the ground was much worse. If people weren't around to get him off that man, he would have continued to bang his head into the ground, which could have caused bleeding of the brain. With all the recent NFL talk and well know dangers of concussions, the banging the head of another person against the ground is wrong on so many levels. Because of that incident alone, he needs to be suspended for at least 4 games.

Slauson is 100% correct. The league has to do something in regards to this piece of sh*t. It's to the point where fines are no longer enough, and if suspensions/anger management help doesn't work... He'll have to become banned from the league. I'm not sure I've ever seen a defensive lineman as dirty/rotten/unprofessional as Suh. I certainly can't remember the last time I've seen a defensive lineman as cruel as this guy. If you watch the video over and over again, you'll see that the kick may have looked bad, but the grabbing of the helmet, and the repeated banging of that guy's head against the ground was much worse. If people weren't around to get him off that man, he would have continued to bang his head into the ground, which could have caused bleeding of the brain. With all the recent NFL talk and well know dangers of concussions, the banging the head of another person against the ground is wrong on so many levels. Because of that incident alone, he needs to be suspended for at least 4 games.

Didn't Haynesworth get 5 games for his incident years ago? They are going to send a very serious message to Suh.

Doesn't help when your head coach is getting into fights around mid-field after losses. Rex says a lot of dumb thing but at least he isn't fighting people on game day!

Didn't Haynesworth get 5 games for his incident years ago? They are going to send a very serious message to Suh.

You know what, I never thought about it like that. Haynesworth went over board, but not even Haynesworth was as dirty as this Suh kid. The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to believe that he'll be suspended for the rest of the season; as should be.

Doesn't help when your head coach is getting into fights around mid-field after losses. Rex says a lot of dumb thing but at least he isn't fighting people on game day!

Suh will get one game and a $100k fine. He's a huge star in a key market playing for a team that people want to watch.

Didn't Haynesworth get 5 games for his incident years ago? They are going to send a very serious message to Suh. Doesn't help when your head coach is getting into fights around mid-field after losses. Rex says a lot of dumb thing but at least he isn't fighting people on game day!

Yeah, I think a big part of Suh's problem is the HC and team philosophy of Detroit, and I'm rooting for them this year. But they seem to condone this type of play throughout. Schwartz seems like the guy that, if can continue to win games, has the kind of fire they needed, but if they continue to lose, he just looks like a unstable douche.

Btw, Stafford looks no better than Sanchez right now and he's got megatron to work with. Just saying.

Also my feelings about Bart are in no way an admission of a bro-crush.

I am not saying it is a bro-crush or isn't a bro-crush. Really at this time all I can do is categorically deny that it is a bro-crush. But I am also denying that it will never be a bro-crush.

Really what we need to do here is take a step back and let things play themselves out, naturally, over time.

Sorry Im calling bro crush.

Yup it was 5 games, but his was much more serious than this one. He basically ripped the guys helmet off, went to kick him in the head and missed, then he went and kicked at him again and this time nailed him. As an isolated incident that was far worse. I guess the different issue here is that Suh has been taking cheap shots at players for 2 years. The excuse last year was that he is just bigger than everyone else, but that obviously isnt the case. He is intent on hurting guys.

And the coach definitely plays into it. Schwartz always had a rep as a DC of being a "dirty" coach. Those Titan teams played real rugged and tough football. He was Haynesworth DC. Vanden Bosch followed him over from Tennessee and hes always had a bad rep. Suh is notorious. Hes the guy they have to talk to as much as Suh. Teams feed off the coach. Rex talks and the Jets have a few chatty guys. When Donnie Henderson was here and he tried to give the defense the take no prisoners attitude that is exactly what the defense did which came to head in that scrimmage against the Giants in which he got the defense so riled up that the Giants were ready to leave the field and immediately canceled it every year afterwards. The difference is that the Jets talent wasnt any good and once both sides played fast we got beat up. But Schwartz has talented guys and they play dirty. You have to look at the coach.

Max if you like to bang dudes it's cool. I mean it happens, I have friends who like to bang dudes. In jail.

Yup it was 5 games, but his was much more serious than this one. He basically ripped the guys helmet off, went to kick him in the head and missed, then he went and kicked at him again and this time nailed him. As an isolated incident that was far worse. I guess the different issue here is that Suh has been taking cheap shots at players for 2 years. The excuse last year was that he is just bigger than everyone else, but that obviously isnt the case. He is intent on hurting guys.

And the coach definitely plays into it. Schwartz always had a rep as a DC of being a "dirty" coach. Those Titan teams played real rugged and tough football. He was Haynesworth DC. Vanden Bosch followed him over from Tennessee and hes always had a bad rep. Suh is notorious. Hes the guy they have to talk to as much as Suh. Teams feed off the coach. Rex talks and the Jets have a few chatty guys. When Donnie Henderson was here and he tried to give the defense the take no prisoners attitude that is exactly what the defense did which came to head in that scrimmage against the Giants in which he got the defense so riled up that the Giants were ready to leave the field and immediately canceled it every year afterwards. The difference is that the Jets talent wasnt any good and once both sides played fast we got beat up. But Schwartz has talented guys and they play dirty. You have to look at the coach.

Good point about Haynesworth being a more serious offense. Suh's body of work will play in. So maybe he won't see 5 games but I would be shocked if he isn't suspended...

And that Donnie Henderson day in Albany -- a bunch of us from JN were there that day. The two practice fields were apart, so you couldn't watch both units at once. I remember thinking it was up tempo but didn't see anything that would piss the Giants off that much. There were some skirmishes so to speak but we did watch the offense a bunch so probably missed what they were talking about.

Sucks though, that was a lot of fun to watch.

Max if you like to bang dudes it's cool. I mean it happens, I have friends who like to bang dudes. In jail.

I wouldn't really say I like it. It is more just something that I happen to be good at. Big difference. If I liked it that would be gay, lol.

Archived