With the 16th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. The New York Jets Select..

GreenSince93

You use 1st rounders on QBs, guys to protect QBs and guys to rush the QB.

RBs you can get in later rounds(MJD, LaSean McCoy) or off the street, literally(Arian Foster).

Agree. Unless you're talking about a unique talent at the top of the draft (Peterson, LT, Lewis, etc.) I pretty much subscribe to that. And even then it's hardly a guarantee (Curtis Enis, Lawrence Philips, Reggie Bush). Middle to later 1st round sure there's a bunch of good RBs but there are a bunch of total flops.

Basically I try to weigh which is more likely to get a better overall team: a 1st round QB and a 3rd round RB or a 1st round RB and a 3rd round QB? Or since we (supposedly) have our QB switch in DE/OLB tweener or a RT. How many really good (or better than really good) pass rushers are taken in round 2? There are some (Woodley, Dumervil, Tuck, Phillips, Allen, Osi), but there are so many more taken in round 1 and this is frankly a pathetically small number of really good ones considering how many have been taken after round 1 over the past 10 years.

Put a decent RB (or RB duo/trio) behind a solid blocking line and as a group they'll seem elite enough like our 2009 crew. They can far more easily be found throughout the draft.

No question: the Jets' have to pick one of those hybrid OLB/DEs (Upshaw, Marcilus, Perry, Ingram). But geez they can't flub this one. Whomever they pick had better start from the get go and play three downs and be really good at pressuring the QB and setting the edge. The LB unit - and REVIS - has been the heart of the Jets D these past few years but they are all getting old at the same time. They need to replace Thomas immediately and then have replacements ready for the inevitable end of Pace and Scott, both of whom are on their last legs. I view OLB and ILB as draft priorities ahead of RT and Safety. I'm hoping they land a stopgap type RT in either FA or in the middle rounds of the draft and get a high end FA Safety.

The Jets have to embrace a youth movement and we as fans have to be patient while these guys develop. The Jets have done very well to restock the D-line. Now its time to do the same with the rest of the defensive front seven.

From my keyboard to someone's ears ...

I vote linemen if there's a standout guy that early. (and I don't study the draft at all so I don't know)

I remember Curtis Martin's ankles falling apart near the end of his career, and I wonder how much of that is because he had weak lines making holes for him.

Is Upshaw going to be on the board? If he's there, he's my pick. I want an OLB who can get to the QB. No way I'm taking a mediocre RB at the 16 spot. I dont even like taking them in the first round at all. I understand there are certain players who warrant it, but we have much bigger problems than RB.

Is Upshaw going to be on the board? If he's there, he's my pick. I want an OLB who can get to the QB. No way I'm taking a mediocre RB at the 16 spot. I dont even like taking them in the first round at all. I understand there are certain players who warrant it, but we have much bigger problems than RB.

We don't have a gaping hole at RB. We have gaping holes at RT, OLB and S.

We could stand to get another ILB as well, but I wouldn't burn a 1st rounder on one and probably not a 2nd rounder either (unless the value is such that cannot be passed up on). Harris's idiotic QB-sized cap hit means he's going to have to carry a little more weight so we aren't forced to invest stupid-heavily on someone next to him for a couple of years.

We don't have a gaping hole at RB. We have gaping holes at RT, OLB and S.

We could stand to get another ILB as well, but I wouldn't burn a 1st rounder on one and probably not a 2nd rounder either (unless the value is such that cannot be passed up on). Harris's idiotic QB-sized cap hit means he's going to have to carry a little more weight so we aren't forced to invest stupid-heavily on someone next to him for a couple of years.

We're in an interesting situation here. While the offense looks like it needs an overhaul - I'm not sure that I'd want to invest 1st our 2nd rounders for offense. 1) because their arent that many players that jump out at me who will be available at either spot 2) because I think the we need to find people that can get after the QB.

I honestly, wouldnt mind back to back OLB picks. As a matter of preference, I think skills positions can wait and I think RT is something you can find late in the draft so I'd look for player who can run side line to side line, can stay in on pass situation and of course rush the passer.

IMO our draft should go:

OLB

OLB or Safety

OLB or Safety

RT

Couldnt care less after that.

I would love Marcillus, unfortunately I feel his combine will put him in the top 10, if he is not there, then try and trade back into the 20's, and take BAP, at OLB, WR, OLine, ILB, someone like the Baylor WR, or ILB Hightower, I don't like reaching for an OLineman here most 1st round talent will be gone possibly by 16th, also like OLB Branch from Clemson, and Perry from USC.

I would love for the Jets to trade down in the 20's and pick up an extra 2nd rounder, and have 4 picks in the top 78, and come out with a OLineman, speedy WR, Safety, rush LB, that would be ideal.

A draft like this would be ideal IMO

1st round Marcillus, Wright,

2nd round Branch, Toon, OT from FSU, 2 of the 3.

3rd round Safety either, Robert Lester, or Markelle Martin.

Marcillus, Toon, OT from FSU (forget his name), and either S would be a dream for me. I would even be fine with Wright, Branch, FSU OT, and either S.

We're in an interesting situation here. While the offense looks like it needs an overhaul - I'm not sure that I'd want to invest 1st our 2nd rounders for offense. 1) because their arent that many players that jump out at me who will be available at either spot 2) because I think the we need to find people that can get after the QB.

I honestly, wouldnt mind back to back OLB picks. As a matter of preference, I think skills positions can wait and I think RT is something you can find late in the draft so I'd look for player who can run side line to side line, can stay in on pass situation and of course rush the passer.

IMO our draft should go:

OLB

OLB or Safety

OLB or Safety

RT

Couldnt care less after that.

The problem with RT is that while you certainly CAN find one late, we have a complete hole there (assuming Hunter will be released, and even if he's kept with a big paycut no one wants to see Hunter Part II). In other words, what happens if the player drafted is, well, Ducasse-like. The likelihood of him Ducass'ing goes up with each round later in the draft. If we had a starter entering his final season, then by all means take one in rounds 4-6 and see what happens (like we did with Slauson while we still had Faneca).

I have no issues starting a mid-round rookie at RT. I do have issues with banking the position for whole season on said rookie. We'd need to bring in someone else also starter-caliber in camp just in case, but someone who isn't so costly if the rookie pans out (which is what we want to happen).

The problem with RT is that while you certainly CAN find one late, we have a complete hole there (assuming Hunter will be released, and even if he's kept with a big paycut no one wants to see Hunter Part II). In other words, what happens if the player drafted is, well, Ducasse-like. The likelihood of him Ducass'ing goes up with each round later in the draft. If we had a starter entering his final season, then by all means take one in rounds 4-6 and see what happens (like we did with Slauson while we still had Faneca).

I have no issues starting a mid-round rookie at RT. I do have issues with banking the position for whole season on said rookie. We'd need to bring in someone else also starter-caliber in camp just in case, but someone who isn't so costly if the rookie pans out (which is what we want to happen).

True. I'm just not a fan of drafting OL in the first round unless he's playing LT.

That said, I heard Jason Smith could be cut from the Rams. Is he pure poop or is it a cap space move? Dude was drafted 2nd overall and moved to RT.

True. I'm just not a fan of drafting OL in the first round unless he's playing LT.

That said, I heard Jason Smith could be cut from the Rams. Is he pure poop or is it a cap space move? Dude was drafted 2nd overall and moved to RT.

Thinking back to last offseason (the whole 3 weeks lol) would have loved it if we would have gone after McKinney, he is starting and playing great for Ravens, and I'm pretty sure they got him cheap after Minny released him, he is playing LT, he would have looked real good playing RT here IMO.

Oh well that doesn't help us now, I like the kid from FSU he might fall to our 2nd round pick Zebrie Sanders I believe is his name.

Thinking back to last offseason (the whole 3 weeks lol) would have loved it if we would have gone after McKinney, he is starting and playing great for Ravens, and I'm pretty sure they got him cheap after Minny released him, he is playing LT, he would have looked real good playing RT here IMO.

Oh well that doesn't help us now, I like the kid from FSU he might fall to our 2nd round pick Zebrie Sanders I believe is his name.

Isnt Sanders the dude that didnt move an inch during an entire play after the ball was snapped. It was like a 10 second play and he just stood in his 3 point stance for the entire play. lol

I've watched a lot of FSU games. Their OL was awful. Seriously one of the worst in college Football. Not sure if he was the one positive spot or not...I'll have to ask my FSU friends.

He sucks. Think Wayne Hunter with a * for potential that Hunter doesn't have.

Any potential in a Cark Nicks signing in FA and bumping him out to RT? What's cap space look like as of right now for next year anyways?

Dont know, but what I do know is Callahan should be shot for not crawling on his knees and begging Mikey T to take him. There were many of us around here that thought we should have taken him in the 2nd round and the dude slipped to the 5th. Shame on the Jets and his former coach, Callahan.

Dont know, but what I do know is Callahan should be shot for not crawling on his knees and begging Mikey T to take him. There were many of us around here that thought we should have taken him in the 2nd round and the dude slipped to the 5th. Shame on the Jets and his former coach, Callahan.

I don't think Callahan was our OL coach back then.

And besides, who did you want us to not draft, Eric Ainge or Dwight Lowery? Besides, we got Nate Gardner in the 7th anyway. You blockhead.

I don't think Callahan was our OL coach back then.

And besides, who did you want us to not draft, Eric Ainge or Dwight Lowery? Besides, we got Nate Gardner in the 7th anyway. You blockhead.

In 08? He sure was. He was the Assistant HC and OL coach. He was defnitely here I remember distinctly arguing that there was no way the Jets would pass on Nicks because Callahan recruited him.

FWIW - if Ainge or Lowery were still on this team, they'd be the best players at their positions (Qb and S).

I would love Marcillus, unfortunately I feel his combine will put him in the top 10, if he is not there, then try and trade back into the 20's, and take BAP, at OLB, WR, OLine, ILB, someone like the Baylor WR, or ILB Hightower, I don't like reaching for an OLineman here most 1st round talent will be gone possibly by 16th, also like OLB Branch from Clemson, and Perry from USC.

I would love for the Jets to trade down in the 20's and pick up an extra 2nd rounder, and have 4 picks in the top 78, and come out with a OLineman, speedy WR, Safety, rush LB, that would be ideal.

A draft like this would be ideal IMO

1st round Marcillus, Wright,

2nd round Branch, Toon, OT from FSU, 2 of the 3.

3rd round Safety either, Robert Lester, or Markelle Martin.

Marcillus, Toon, OT from FSU (forget his name), and either S would be a dream for me. I would even be fine with Wright, Branch, FSU OT, and either S.

I like Robert Lester too in the mid rounds.

Kiper's AFC East mock draft

nyj.gifNew York Jets (8-8)

Pick: No. 16

Kiper’s selection: Mark Barron, S, Alabama

Walker's analysis: Barron is another impact player from Alabama’s great defense. The Jets have several needs, and a big one is at safety. New York may need two starting safeties. Jim Leonhard is a free agent coming off a season-ending knee injury, and Eric Smith had a brutal season. Top reserve Brodney Pool also is a free agent. Opponents took advantage of the Jets by avoiding their corners and exposing their safeties this season. Barron could

Archived