The Super Bowl Features Two Elite Quarterbacks Again...

ZachEY

BUT BRAYLON GOT HURT. Mark my words the niners are not stupid like the Jets they will get a real WR this offseason

Yeah, and when healthy, the most passes he caught in a game was 4. The most yards he had in a game was 47.

Let's be realistic about Braylon's role.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wtf is wrong with you ? Yopu want rep here ya go

You're just missing the point as usual. No matter how many WR's and pieces you put around a below average QB it's never going to change the fact that an elite QB can take a bunch of JAG's and make an offense a top tier offense. When you have a top tier QB, they make up for the shortcomings around them. When you have Mark Sanchez you need turnovers, special teams perfection and plays and a few missed field goals and voila, you make a championship game.

What happened today, to both teams, was the equivalent of Doug Brien. Their QBs didn't get much done all game (well, more then Pennington, but still not a ton), and one or two big mistakes is what gets remembered. Late in the 4th Quarter, the 9ers were 0-10 on 3rd down conversions. Has a team ever won like that? You need a miracle.

EDIT TO ADD: I'd be ok building around Matt Ryan too, I think. I haven't seen enough of him play to make a complete judgment.

I believe the Giants started out 5-6 on 3rd down conversions and ended up 7-21 on 3rd down and 0-1 on 4th. So Eli went 2-16 after a hot start, not exactly anything great.

Matt Ryan has 2 of the best Wrs in the game, a hall of fame TE, and a rb (who is on the decline) who ran for 1340 yards and 11 tds and still couldnt put up any points when they played the Giants, but you are willing to build around him and Sanchez who doesnt have anywhere near that level of talent around him just sucks?

I believe the Giants started out 5-6 on 3rd down conversions and ended up 7-21 on 3rd down and 0-1 on 4th. So Eli went 2-16 after a hot start, not exactly anything great.

Matt Ryan has 2 of the best Wrs in the game, a hall of fame TE, and a rb (who is on the decline) who ran for 1340 yards and 11 tds and still couldnt put up any points when they played the Giants, but you are willing to build around him and Sanchez who doesnt have anywhere near that level of talent around him just sucks?

The 49ers and Giants both have pretty good defenses. So, even elite QBs will struggle against them. The point is, they still also make some plays.

Unlike Sanchez, who struggles against below average defenses and is usually non-existent at best, and a tremendous negative at worst, against good ones.

Statistically, Sanchez is one of the worst QBs in the league. One of the worst. Why start there?

Lets be realistic though too....Crabtree is awful

I haven't seen enough of him. I was only saying that because it's not like they've neglected the position. I also looked at his stats, and they were solid. Not #1 WR good. But, in the offense of a game manager who's first read is his TE and his RB, you can't really complain.

So, going 2-12 on 3rd down is irrelevant?

They drafted Crabtree very highly very recently and he had a decent, though not spectacular year. They brought in a legitimate deep threat (who got hurt, which essentially caused the Kyle Williams issues) and they brought in a WR who everyone here killed our FO for letting go because of how good he was. So, while I appreciate your infatuation with WRs, I'm not sure your point holds up.

The mistakes of a back-up punt returner put the nail in the coffin. But the offensive's overall lack of production besides big plays to Vernon Davis was what really lost that game. When your team can't survive losing Ted Ginn, there are bigger problems. And, unfortunately, this week, their defense couldn't muster 5 turnovers like they needed last week just to eek out a win.

Sorry to go math on you, but outside of elite QBs, everyone regresses to the mean. That's exactly what you saw yesterday.

EY 2-12 is very relevant but after ELI went 5-7 early in the game he didnt convert anything either. Both QB's were under constant pressure and did not play well. Eli got lucky because he threw up a few prayers but hes done that on both his runs to the SB hes got the big WR's who he trusts can make a play . With the Amount of pressure and hits both QB's took the defense's basicly took over the game and that happens alot in the playoffs. The Niners have one glaring weakness and I expect Harbaugh to address it this offseason since they are a win now type of team just like we were. There is a good chance Harbaugh goes with a proven Free agent vet and probably drafts a few as well. Just watch how a real team addresses weaknesses when close to a SB.

Its not an infatuation EY but keep in mind those 3rd and longs you bring up 80 % of the time get converted by WR's Espically when your all world TE is getting double and triple teamed . Alex Smith is a pretty smart QB he wont make a dumb throw but the guy had no WR"s to throw too they were not open.

Can 1. Maybin put on 15 pounds without losing speed and can 2. we get Mario Williams and 3. Peyton is really the question to asked lol.

Let me answer my own question, YES!!! Here's how.

1. Steroids

2. Cut Sanchez, Save 10M, Sign Super Mario

3. Trade two 1st round picks for Peyton while restructuring contracts (like half the team)

but the best part of all this is

4. Watch the Colts and Luck become the new Patriots for the next 10 years with our help.

Elite QBs + pass rush win championships, 2 things the Jets don't have.

Fortunately, Rex knows the pass-rush part. He's full mast about Suggs every chance he gets to talk about him. I'm confident he'll be searching for one or two. A competent QB? I'm not as competent.

I haven't seen enough of him. I was only saying that because it's not like they've neglected the position. I also looked at his stats, and they were solid. Not #1 WR good. But, in the offense of a game manager who's first read is his TE and his RB, you can't really complain.

Couldnt separate at all yesterday.

Giants started doubling Blade and Smith really had nowhere to go.

Let me answer my own question, YES!!! Here's how.

1. Steroids

2. Cut Sanchez, Save 10M, Sign Super Mario

3. Trade two 1st round picks for Peyton while restructuring contracts (like half the team)

but the best part of all this is

4. Watch the Colts and Luck become the new Patriots for the next 10 years with our help.

FOr the hundreth time - Manning will not be traded. He will be resigned or cut. But I love all those other ideas!

Yeah, and when healthy, the most passes he caught in a game was 4. The most yards he had in a game was 47.

Let's be realistic about Braylon's role.

EY Im not really trying to discuss Braylon here. Im discussing the 49ers need and I promise you they will address it . I do not think Braylon was some elite type WR but he did fill a need here when the Jets go him I wanted them to go hard after Vincent Jackson that offseason but they didnt they grabbed Braylon at game 4. hes not great and I never ever said he was but we are a ground and pound team remember ?? Braylon filled a need as a deep threat and he was much tougher at the position going over the middle and catching slants than what we have now in pussy alligator arm Santonio Holmes who once again proved out to be an idiot.

What happened today, to both teams, was the equivalent of Doug Brien. Their QBs didn't get much done all game (well, more then Pennington, but still not a ton), and one or two big mistakes is what gets remembered. Late in the 4th Quarter, the 9ers were 0-10 on 3rd down conversions. Has a team ever won like that? You need a miracle.

The guys you listed are a rare breed. But, with a few tweaks to our team, and a guy like Philip Rivers who's been given almost no help (Sporoles, Turner, LT, most of the defense, V Jack holdout at one point, all working against him), Culter who may never have been elite, but is always in the conversation with the bears until he's gotten hurt, Schaub who took the Texans pretty far until he got hurt, I'd even consider Romo, and I think Stafford is making his way into the conversation but isn't there yet and lets see what happens with Cam Newton... I think any one of those guys, with a Rex Ryan defense, and we're a real competitor. Not a team that needs Peyton Manning to be taken out of a game to even make the playoffs one year and everything to go right for us to win, including a miracle drop that everyone forgets by Alge Crumpler in everyone's favorite game of the last decade or a timely kick return by your CB to get you to the cusp of FG range to move on.

Any one of those guys mentioned, save perhaps the last two, and you're looking at the losing teams winning yesterday, based on what the rest of their team did.

EDIT TO ADD: I'd be ok building around Matt Ryan too, I think. I haven't seen enough of him play to make a complete judgment.

Only the "rare breed" are winning SBs. The NFL has become the NBA now with parity. It's the great irony. NFL wanted more teams involved with parity and we see it with the yearly turnover in playoff teams, but now the teams with the elite QBs dominate. Before parity you had the great teams dominate. Now it's the great QB.

As for your list ...

Rivers -- 3-4 postseason record (PSR)

Cutler -- 1-1 PSR

Romo -- 1-3 PSR

Schaub -- 0-0 PSR

Stafford -- 0-1 PSR

See a pattern? Your "good" QBs to support your argument are a combined 5-9 in the postseason and each have lost to an elite QB. So these QBs would make the Jets "competitors" but then they'd end up losing to an elite QB in the postseason.

Last, Cam Newton is a rookie. Get real. Everyone loved Bradford last year and then he imploded this year. Don't be crazy to put him in the conversation.

EY 2-12 is very relevant but after ELI went 5-7 early in the game he didnt convert anything either. Both QB's were under constant pressure and did not play well. Eli got lucky because he threw up a few prayers but hes done that on both his runs to the SB hes got the big WR's who he trusts can make a play . With the Amount of pressure and hits both QB's took the defense's basicly took over the game and that happens alot in the playoffs. The Niners have one glaring weakness and I expect Harbaugh to address it this offseason since they are a win now type of team just like we were. There is a good chance Harbaugh goes with a proven Free agent vet and probably drafts a few as well. Just watch how a real team addresses weaknesses when close to a SB.

Its not an infatuation EY but keep in mind those 3rd and longs you bring up 80 % of the time get converted by WR's Espically when your all world TE is getting double and triple teamed . Alex Smith is a pretty smart QB he wont make a dumb throw but the guy had no WR"s to throw too they were not open.

It's amazing that no one is ever open but guys with elite QBs.

Couldnt separate at all yesterday.

Giants started doubling Blade and Smith really had nowhere to go.

Yesterday I realize. Hard to put a body of work on one game. But, as I said, I don't know the player. Was talking about the neglect of the position.

Maybe more importantly, I think we've seen time and again good QBs making WRs as opposed to the other way around. The Giants didn't have a master plan when they signed Victor Cruz after he went undrafted. He clicked well with Eli and things worked out. We can't say for sure, but Victor Cruz on the Jets is probably in a position battle with Kerley as opposed to Holmes.

Yesterday I realize. Hard to put a body of work on one game. But, as I said, I don't know the player. Was talking about the neglect of the position.

Maybe more importantly, I think we've seen time and again good QBs making WRs as opposed to the other way around. The Giants didn't have a master plan when they signed Victor Cruz after he went undrafted. He clicked well with Eli and things worked out. We can't say for sure, but Victor Cruz on the Jets is probably in a position battle with Kerley as opposed to Holmes.

Probably. But then again I think its pretty obvious that Nicks, Manningham and Cruz are all pretty talented themselves. Eli might be my favorite player in the game right now, but its pretty apparent he has great weapons.

Unlike Sanchez, who struggles against below average defenses and is usually non-existent at best, and a tremendous negative at worst, against good ones.

This is the biggest problem with Mark. In "pad your stats" games he is atrocious. The games against the PAtriots cant even be explained. Im not sure Id say he is non-existent against good ones though. Hes just the same against everyone, except the Ravens who I think are in his head because they hit hard, talk alot on the field, and Rex made it known in 2009 that they were the greatest and most fearsome defense off all time except for the 2008 Jets. I think its a mental thing with them. Thats the one difference between he and Stafford even early in their career. Stafford had one or two of those off the wall games. Granted it was against awful competition, but against similar quality opponents Mark would end up 9-20 for 4 picks as a rookie. I still think you can surround Sanchez would good players and a good staff and he can be ok, but they dont have that personnel right now.

Only the "rare breed" are winning SBs. The NFL has become the NBA now with parity. It's the great irony. NFL wanted more teams involved with parity and we see it with the yearly turnover in playoff teams, but now the teams with the elite QBs dominate. Before parity you had the great teams dominate. Now it's the great QB.

As for your list ...

Rivers -- 3-4 postseason record (PSR)

Cutler -- 1-1 PSR

Romo -- 1-3 PSR

Schaub -- 0-0 PSR

Stafford -- 0-1 PSR

See a pattern? Your "good" QBs to support your argument are a combined 5-9 in the postseason and each have lost to an elite QB. So these QBs would make the Jets "competitors" but then they'd end up losing to an elite QB in the postseason.

Last, Cam Newton is a rookie. Get real. Everyone loved Bradford last year and then he imploded this year. Don't be crazy to put him in the conversation.

As I pointed out, you build a good team around those guys. Tom Brady can take the worst defense in football to the Super Bowl. But, I think the current Jets team, and any one of those guys, could have given Brady a real shot. We may not have won. But, you don't think this team would still have been playing football, at least yesterday, with Rivers?

Winning and Losing is a team effort. The point is, I think we're starting at the wrong place.

Last, I said, "lets see what happens with Cam Newton".

This is the biggest problem with Mark. In "pad your stats" games he is atrocious. The games against the PAtriots cant even be explained. Im not sure Id say he is non-existent against good ones though. Hes just the same against everyone, except the Ravens who I think are in his head because they hit hard, talk alot on the field, and Rex made it known in 2009 that they were the greatest and most fearsome defense off all time except for the 2008 Jets. I think its a mental thing with them. Thats the one difference between he and Stafford even early in their career. Stafford had one or two of those off the wall games. Granted it was against awful competition, but against similar quality opponents Mark would end up 9-20 for 4 picks as a rookie. I still think you can surround Sanchez would good players and a good staff and he can be ok, but they dont have that personnel right now.

Yeah. I agree. You can probably build a team that can get Mark Sanchez to be ok.

Then, what do you do when he's ok? That's kind of the thesis, no?

It's amazing that no one is ever open but guys with elite QBs.

Its amazing that Elite QB's are surrounded with Monsters at the Skill positions. The QB's teams you mentioned are light years ahead of the Jets at the skill positions. You Brought up Cam Newton did you bother to see what he had at RB Stewart and Williams at 5.4 per carry and and Steave Smith is still a beast and Lafell looks like he might be a keeper, Jeremy Shocky and Greg Olsen teamed up nicely at TE and guess what they can do they can block as well.

The 49ers and Giants both have pretty good defenses. So, even elite QBs will struggle against them. The point is, they still also make some plays.

Statistically, Sanchez is one of the worst QBs in the league. One of the worst. Why start there?

Yes they do. And sometimes the playmakers they have around them are the ones who make the plays. throughout the playoffs we have seen this with the Giants. We have seen Eli throw short to intermediate passes to Nicks and watched him outrun the entire Atlanta Defense. We saw the same thing the next week against GB, Eli hits Nicks short, he breaks a tackle, reverses direction and outruns the entire D yet again. We have seen the same thing up close with Cruz. Eli hits him with a short pass, he breaks tackles or makes a nice move and is off to the races. Do the Jets or 49ers have anywhere near this level of playmakers at the receiving position?

Why not build around Sanchez? You have to start somewhere. No matter who the Jets QB is they are not going to play well if they have nothing around them. The Jets havent drafted a WR in the top 3 rounds in the last decade, and all Jets fans during that time have complained about our horrid passing offenses, you cant just ignore the wr position but expect to have a viable passing offense. If Sanchez still doesnt get it done when the pieces are around him then at least when you bring in the next QB you have a stable offense in place for him to work with.

Is a QB like Smith realistically supposed to perform as well as Eli yesterday? Kevin Gilbride has worked with Eli Manning as the Giants QB coach or offensive Coordinator since 2004, while Smith has had 7 different Offensive coordinators in 7 years, and has had 3-4 different head coaches during that time. Eli has much better receiving options available to him but yet he still went into a 2-16 funk.

Probably. But then again I think its pretty obvious that Nicks, Manningham and Cruz are all pretty talented themselves. Eli might be my favorite player in the game right now, but its pretty apparent he has great weapons.

They are. Though, I don't know about Manningham. He works for them, but is one of those guys that I think with a lesser QB would fall off the map quickly.

But, I also think the Giants would still be playing football if Eli had Holmes, Burress, and Kerley. Not to say they're better, or even equal. But they're good enough IMO.

No but before the Giants started adding WR's Eli Manning sucked total a$$ he was horrible beyond belief his first 3 seasons its obvious hes gotten better since now his WR's are at an elite status. Does it really matter when or where or how the Giants got Victor Cruz ?? They already had Damn good receivers when they picked him up . We all saw what Cruz did to the Jets in the preseason and the Giants did a nice job working him in. Hes a fantastic WR and at one point in that game I think Eli Threw 5 passes in a row to him and he was making great catches all over the field.

Its amazing that Elite QB's are surrounded with Monsters at the Skill positions. The QB's teams you mentioned are light years ahead of the Jets at the skill positions. You Brought up Cam Newton did you bother to see what he had at RB Stewart and Williams at 5.4 per carry and and Steave Smith is still a beast and Lafell looks like he might be a keeper, Jeremy Shocky and Greg Olsen teamed up nicely at TE and guess what they can do they can block as well.

They're really not all. Welker/Branch are not elite WRs. Brady's doing it with mid-round TEs.

I'm not going to go example by example with you. You fail to see how QB's make WR's better.

Monster years by Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon this season though.

Yes they do. And sometimes the playmakers they have around them are the ones who make the plays. throughout the playoffs we have seen this with the Giants. We have seen Eli throw short to intermediate passes to Nicks and watched him outrun the entire Atlanta Defense. We saw the same thing the next week against GB, Eli hits Nicks short, he breaks a tackle, reverses direction and outruns the entire D yet again. We have seen the same thing up close with Cruz. Eli hits him with a short pass, he breaks tackles or makes a nice move and is off to the races. Do the Jets or 49ers have anywhere near this level of playmakers at the receiving position?

Why not build around Sanchez? You have to start somewhere. No matter who the Jets QB is they are not going to play well if they have nothing around them. The Jets havent drafted a WR in the top 3 rounds in the last decade, and all Jets fans during that time have complained about our horrid passing offenses, you cant just ignore the wr position but expect to have a viable passing offense. If Sanchez still doesnt get it done when the pieces are around him then at least when you bring in the next QB you have a stable offense in place for him to work with.

Is a QB like Smith realistically supposed to perform as well as Eli yesterday? Kevin Gilbride has worked with Eli Manning as the Giants QB coach or offensive Coordinator since 2004, while Smith has had 7 different Offensive coordinators in 7 years, and has had 3-4 different head coaches during that time. Eli has much better receiving options available to him but yet he still went into a 2-16 funk.

Excellent Post

As I pointed out, you build a good team around those guys. Tom Brady can take the worst defense in football to the Super Bowl. But, I think the current Jets team, and any one of those guys, could have given Brady a real shot. We may not have won. But, you don't think this team would still have been playing football, at least yesterday, with Rivers?

Winning and Losing is a team effort. The point is, I think we're starting at the wrong place.

Sanchez had a crappy year without question, but the "still playing with Rivers" argument is silly. Rivers sucked this year (not as bad as Sanchez, of course) and Sanchez went 11-5 last year and the Jets went to the AFCCG. So, guess what, the Jets were "still playing" last year this past weekend.

The point is not about "still playing." It's about winning and elite QBs are dominating that in the age of parity.

Every team without an elite QB is starting at the wrong place.

For the Jets, they have to keep chasing the elite QB, be it Peyton, if Brees somehow has a falling out with NO, drafting high in 1st round, or trying to find a way to spur Sanchez into a leap in play.

All of these options are low in probability.

On the topic of elite vs non-elite QBs, I think you can get to a SB without a top level QB. You can probably even win one. The 2005 Steelers did not have elite level play from the position. The 2007 Giants didn't either, though Eli got red hot in the playoffs. Id say from 2000-2003 you didnt really have elite play. Brady became an elite name, but he wasnt elite in 2001 and Im not sure he was in 2003 either. He was in 2004 which is really when his game took off to the next level. Granted the game is more even now than it was early in the decade, thus making the QB have bigger impact, but I think it can be done.

I think the bigger issue is if you can have sustained success without it. When you have a tournament that features Manning, Brees, and Rodgers only one guy can advance. This year it was Eli. Last was Rodgers. The year prior was Brees. Alex Smith snuck in there and didnt belong, but did pull off one upset and nearly a second. Maybe he could have gotten a third. In one year it can be done. But its a pipe dream to imagine Alex Smith coming back next year. Its probably going to be difficult for them to make the playoffs. Remember when everyone proclaimed the Jaguars the next big thing because of how they beat the Steelers and lost to the Patriots? You never heard from them again. Our Jets in 2006. I think Peter King called the loss to NE "one of the greatest chess matches of all time" as he waxed poetic about the brilliance of Mangini and Belichick. We stunk in 2007 and reworked the whole franchise in 2008. If I am a 49'er fan I take this year for what it was and am extremely happy about the team and what they gave me this year. If they go out and re-sign Alex Smith to a 5 year 60 million dollar contract like the Bills did Fitzpatrick I would go crazy. I want no part of Smith long term. None. The Jets might have that same issue next year.

I definitely agree with your basic premise, I just think yesterday is probably the worst possible evidence to try to use to make the case, regardless of if blindly looking at the final outcome seems to support it. The truth is, if not for a lot of complete luck that took place while the respective QBs had their asses on the bench, both of those guys would have appeared FAR higher on their teams "reasons we lost" list than they currently do on their "reasons we won", particularly Brady, who would have been the #1 reason if the Pats had lost yesterday. Brady was absolutely awful, he was even outplayed by Flacco, and Eli wasn't all that much better.

Looking at the big picture beyond just this week, the importance of a top QB is pretty clear, and granted neither team likely even makes it as far as they did before yesterday without their respective QBs, but neither had much of anything to do with them taking that last step.

They're really not all. Welker/Branch are not elite WRs. Brady's doing it with mid-round TEs.

I'm not going to go example by example with you. You fail to see how QB's make WR's better.

Monster years by Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon this season though.

Better years than the Jets WR's to be sure.

Welker is not elite ?? LOL Gronkowski and Hernadez ...The two big targets on the Pats are Gronk and Welker and ya know what no one can stop them as of yet. Hey ya know what gronk and Hernandez can do ? They can block. And Green Ellis while not an elite RB has never fumbled in the NFL and I would bet if the Pats really featured him he can easily put up 12 -1300yards

Maybe we'd get some YAC if Sanchez could hit a WR in stride. He's not capable of even that. Sorry, but if I was your WR (6'3 and run about a 7.3 40), you could at least put the ball in the right spot. Sanchez puts his WRs in a position to fail. That's obvious to everyone who watches football but a handful of Jets fans. That's why you don't build around him. It's a losing proposition. The Jets have brought in good WRs. They may not be elite guys. But they're good players.

And, Smith isn't supposed to perform as well as Eli. And, since he didn't. They lost. End of story. Thanks for making my point.

Sanchez had a crappy year without question, but the "still playing with Rivers" argument is silly. Rivers sucked this year (not as bad as Sanchez, of course) and Sanchez went 11-5 last year and the Jets went to the AFCCG. So, guess what, the Jets were "still playing" last year this past weekend.

The point is not about "still playing." It's about winning and elite QBs are dominating that in the age of parity.

Every team without an elite QB is starting at the wrong place.

For the Jets, they have to keep chasing the elite QB, be it Peyton, if Brees somehow has a falling out with NO, drafting high in 1st round, or trying to find a way to spur Sanchez into a leap in play.

All of these options are low in probability.

Last year everything clicked right for the Jets. Until it didn't. And, we lost, just like the 9ers.

Rivers had a down year. In that down year, he was still MUCH better than Sanchez. Much, much better. With Bad Rivers, we're a better team than anything we've seen from Sanchez in his career.

Archived