The Super Bowl Features Two Elite Quarterbacks Again...

ZachEY

Last year the Jets thought they won the Super Bowl when they beat the Pats. The Steelers game was on Rex.

Multiple guys looked like they didnt want to be there...watching the Giants and Niners go at it like it was their last game made me sick to my stomach.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FOr the hundreth time - Manning will not be traded. He will be resigned or cut. But I love all those other ideas!

Oh yeah. Well SWEET. Then we keep our picks!!!!

Contracts don't work on years and you can easily front or back load sh*t but just for fun here's how we get Mario and Peyton next year.

Cut:

Sanchez 9.5M

Moore 3M

Hunter 2.5M

Smith 2M

17M saved

Contracts off the books in 2010 (guesstimates):

Pouha 2.5

Thomas 4M

Leonhard 2.5

Plex 3M

LT 1M

13M Saved

That's 30M Saved for Super Mario and Peyton, (Vernon Carey, resign Pool, Maybin) with all your draft picks. Get Maybin on the juice and Draft:

1. DeCastro G, Stanford

2. Markelle Martin S, Oklahoma State

3. Vontaze Burfict ILB ASU

4. Tramain Thomas S, Arkansas

5. Marquis Maze WR, Alabama

6. Davin Meggett RB, Maryland

7. John Brantley QB, Florida

QB Manning, McElroy, Brantley

WR Holmes, Kerley, Maze, Jackson, Turner, Payne

RB: Greene, McKnight, Meggett

TE Keller, Cumberland

OT: D'Brick

LG: Slauson

C: Mangold

RG: DeCastro

RT: Carey

DE: Wilkerson, Dixon

NT: Ellis, MTV

DE: DeVito, Pito

OLB: Williams/Maybin

ILB: Harris/Mauga

ILB: Burfict/Scott

OLB: Maybin/Pace

CB: Revis, Cole

S: Pool, Thomas

S: Martin, Alexander, Wilson

CB: Cromartie, Wilson

Super Bowl!!!!! :)

On the topic of elite vs non-elite QBs, I think you can get to a SB without a top level QB. You can probably even win one. The 2005 Steelers did not have elite level play from the position. The 2007 Giants didn't either, though Eli got red hot in the playoffs. Id say from 2000-2003 you didnt really have elite play. Brady became an elite name, but he wasnt elite in 2001 and Im not sure he was in 2003 either. He was in 2004 which is really when his game took off to the next level. Granted the game is more even now than it was early in the decade, thus making the QB have bigger impact, but I think it can be done.

I think the bigger issue is if you can have sustained success without it. When you have a tournament that features Manning, Brees, and Rodgers only one guy can advance. This year it was Eli. Last was Rodgers. The year prior was Brees. Alex Smith snuck in there and didnt belong, but did pull off one upset and nearly a second. Maybe he could have gotten a third. In one year it can be done. But its a pipe dream to imagine Alex Smith coming back next year. Its probably going to be difficult for them to make the playoffs. Remember when everyone proclaimed the Jaguars the next big thing because of how they beat the Steelers and lost to the Patriots? You never heard from them again. Our Jets in 2006. I think Peter King called the loss to NE "one of the greatest chess matches of all time" as he waxed poetic about the brilliance of Mangini and Belichick. We stunk in 2007 and reworked the whole franchise in 2008. If I am a 49'er fan I take this year for what it was and am extremely happy about the team and what they gave me this year. If they go out and re-sign Alex Smith to a 5 year 60 million dollar contract like the Bills did Fitzpatrick I would go crazy. I want no part of Smith long term. None. The Jets might have that same issue next year.

Dead on. It's about being competitive long term. Because, in any given year, you can have a bad bounce at the wrong time. This year is just further proof of that.

On the topic of elite vs non-elite QBs, I think you can get to a SB without a top level QB. You can probably even win one. The 2005 Steelers did not have elite level play from the position. The 2007 Giants didn't either, though Eli got red hot in the playoffs. Id say from 2000-2003 you didnt really have elite play. Brady became an elite name, but he wasnt elite in 2001 and Im not sure he was in 2003 either. He was in 2004 which is really when his game took off to the next level. Granted the game is more even now than it was early in the decade, thus making the QB have bigger impact, but I think it can be done.

I think the bigger issue is if you can have sustained success without it. When you have a tournament that features Manning, Brees, and Rodgers only one guy can advance. This year it was Eli. Last was Rodgers. The year prior was Brees. Alex Smith snuck in there and didnt belong, but did pull off one upset and nearly a second. Maybe he could have gotten a third. In one year it can be done. But its a pipe dream to imagine Alex Smith coming back next year. Its probably going to be difficult for them to make the playoffs. Remember when everyone proclaimed the Jaguars the next big thing because of how they beat the Steelers and lost to the Patriots? You never heard from them again. Our Jets in 2006. I think Peter King called the loss to NE "one of the greatest chess matches of all time" as he waxed poetic about the brilliance of Mangini and Belichick. We stunk in 2007 and reworked the whole franchise in 2008. If I am a 49'er fan I take this year for what it was and am extremely happy about the team and what they gave me this year. If they go out and re-sign Alex Smith to a 5 year 60 million dollar contract like the Bills did Fitzpatrick I would go crazy. I want no part of Smith long term. None. The Jets might have that same issue next year.

Good points, but Big Ben, like Eli, got hot in the playoffs. He was horrid in SB, but he played very well in the 3 playoff games.

I think the Niners only smart move is to go after Peyton if he's healthy. This playoff loss is the perfect excuse to finally part ways with Smith.

Rules have changed since 2005, not even close really, NFL is basically telling you to throw the ball. Will be near impossible to Dilfer a SB win nowadays

Last year the Jets thought they won the Super Bowl when they beat the Pats. The Steelers game was on Rex.

Multiple guys looked like they didnt want to be there...watching the Giants and Niners go at it like it was their last game made me sick to my stomach.

No sh*t did you see that pass rush by the Niners D-line ?

Last year everything clicked right for the Jets. Until it didn't. And, we lost, just like the 9ers.

Rivers had a down year. In that down year, he was still MUCH better than Sanchez. Much, much better. With Bad Rivers, we're a better team than anything we've seen from Sanchez in his career.

True, but so what?

Unless Rivers proves himself elite then he's never winning a SB regardless of the cast of characters. He had his chance and blew it at least twice (2006, 2009).

Jets need an elite QB. A good QB will just let the Jets fan cry again in the playoffs.

Rules have changed since 2005, not even close really, NFL is basically telling you to throw the ball. Will be near impossible to Dilfer a SB win nowadays

This year's Niner's came the closest. That defense was absolutely sick, but they couldn't get it done.

I definitely agree with your basic premise, I just think yesterday is probably the worst possible evidence to try to use to make the case, regardless of if blindly looking at the final outcome seems to support it. The truth is, if not for a lot of complete luck that took place while the respective QBs had their asses on the bench, both of those guys would have appeared FAR higher on their teams "reasons we lost" list than they currently do on their "reasons we won", particularly Brady, who would have been the #1 reason if the Pats had lost yesterday. Brady was absolutely awful, he was even outplayed by Flacco, and Eli wasn't all that much better.

Looking at the big picture beyond just this week, the importance of a top QB is pretty clear, and granted neither team likely even makes it as far as they did before yesterday without their respective QBs, but neither had much of anything to do with them taking that last step.

You see, and I think what happened yesterday only further proves it. Luck swings both ways. Ultimately, the better QB seems to win out.

Luck swung towards the 9ers when they got 5 turnovers and still only barely managed to win. It swung back yesterday.

As Jason points out, who do you think is more likely to be in the NFC Championship next year? The 9ers or the Giants? I think that call is an easy one to make.

Good QBs stick around. Bad ones are in an out. Hence, 11-5 and getting brutalized in the AFC Championship game to 8-8.

Last year everything clicked right for the Jets. Until it didn't. And, we lost, just like the 9ers.

Rivers had a down year. In that down year, he was still MUCH better than Sanchez. Much, much better. With Bad Rivers, we're a better team than anything we've seen from Sanchez in his career.

Crying-Baby-001.jpg

True, but so what?

Unless Rivers proves himself elite then he's never winning a SB regardless of the cast of characters. He had his chance and blew it at least twice (2006, 2009).

Jets need an elite QB. A good QB will just let the Jets fan cry again in the playoffs.

See, I think with our current team, we can remain competitive with a Rivers type player. Not everything has to go right. You need to get lucky to win regardless of who the QB is. As we saw yesterday as well. But, a bottom tier QB makes it all that much harder because you need that much more luck.

The Niners will Keep Smith and build around him no way hes not their QB going forward.

The Niners are an elite team with probably the best Defense in football

You seem to be leaning toward this was some fluke this team was 13-3 I dont care who they played or how easy their schedule was 2 really bad plays by that idiot Williams cost them a SB they completely shut down the so called Elite QB who was heaving up prayers at one point and its s shame they lost the game. Once the Giants finnaly figured out it was time to take Vernon Davis out of the game it was obvious the Niners WR"s could not get oepn. I was actully a bit surprised in OT that the Niners didnt give the Giants a heavy dose of Frank Gore rather than coming out throwing on first down

You see, and I think what happened yesterday only further proves it. Luck swings both ways. Ultimately, the better QB seems to win out.

Luck swung towards the 9ers when they got 5 turnovers and still only barely managed to win. It swung back yesterday.

As Jason points out, who do you think is more likely to be in the NFC Championship next year? The 9ers or the Giants? I think that call is an easy one to make.

Good QBs stick around. Bad ones are in an out. Hence, 11-5 and getting brutalized in the AFC Championship game to 8-8.

I agree that good QBs stick around, but going 8-8 isn't the end of the world. How easily it is forgotten that the Giants missed the playoffs last year and the Steelers missed the playoffs the year before they went to the SB last year. All-time HOFers like Brady and Peyton make the playoffs every year.

I agree that good QBs stick around, but going 8-8 isn't the end of the world. How easily it is forgotten that the Giants missed the playoffs last year and the Steelers missed the playoffs the year before they went to the SB last year. All-time HOFers like Brady and Peyton make the playoffs every year.

And that's where building a great team comes in.

Because, the Jets went 8-8 with a pretty easy schedule. They didn't beat a single team with a winning record. This was a very bad 8-8 if you're looking at quality of play.

See, I think with our current team, we can remain competitive with a Rivers type player. Not everything has to go right. You need to get lucky to win regardless of who the QB is. As we saw yesterday as well. But, a bottom tier QB makes it all that much harder because you need that much more luck.

Who cares about "remain[ing] competitive"? That's just a euphemism for playoff heartbreak year in-year-out. Jets need an elite QB if the goal is to win a SB.

That said, I agree having sucky QBs make it difficult, but having anything other than elite QB only makes it slightly less difficult.

This year's Niner's came the closest. That defense was absolutely sick, but they couldn't get it done.

That D plays with an identity. Our D felt like it got figured out this year and they had no idea who they were. Sounds like a stupid assesment but I guess I see things like relentless pass rush, sure tackling and it just speaks to the identity of a team. You have to buy into that.

Yep a piece of me wanter SF Def to break Brady into 100 pieces, i doubt their O would score enuff to beat cheats

Gints did not have Nicks or Bradshaw vs Pats in foxhole, like Gints chances provided refs do not gift patholes a win

That D plays with an identity. Our D felt like it got figured out this year and they had no idea who they were. Sounds like a stupid assesment but I guess I see things like relentless pass rush, sure tackling and it just speaks to the identity of a team. You have to buy into that.

Yeah but according to Football Outsiders we were better.

Maybe we'd get some YAC if Sanchez could hit a WR in stride. He's not capable of even that. Sorry, but if I was your WR (6'3 and run about a 7.3 40), you could at least put the ball in the right spot. Sanchez puts his WRs in a position to fail. That's obvious to everyone who watches football but a handful of Jets fans. That's why you don't build around him. It's a losing proposition. The Jets have brought in good WRs. They may not be elite guys. But they're good players.

And, Smith isn't supposed to perform as well as Eli. And, since he didn't. They lost. End of story. Thanks for making my point.

The hitting the WR in stride argument is ridiculuos. Why does Sanchez have to hit his WR perfectly in stride all the time when even the so called Elite QBs dont do this all the time?

The difference is the Elite Qbs have playmakers that make plays for them. When Nicks caught the ball broke the tackle and REVERSED his direction that had nothing to do with being hit in stride. Drew Brees threw up a jump ball to Jimmy Graham who went up and got it and outran the defense for the go ahead score. The Elite QBs playmakers make plays for them all the time on balls that arent perfectly thrown, we have seen it throughout the playoffs.

The Jets have brought in average receivers and average receivers dont make a passing offense, playmakers do.

And no I didnt make your point. The 49ers yesterday lost because of turnovers and lack of overall talent on offense not because Smith isnt an Elite Qb and Eli is, as you stated

Because, the Jets went 8-8 with a pretty easy schedule. They didn't beat a single team with a winning record. This was a very bad 8-8 if you're looking at quality of play.

Building a great team is impossible in today's NFL so I don't know why you keep on mentioning it.

BTW, the Pats beat 1 winning team this season, and that happened in the AFCCG. The deciding variable is the elite QB. Without one everyone is fighing for also-ran.

Actully the Niners defense did get it done they shut the Giants down and Williams lost the game for them. You make those type of mistakes on the big stage you probably lose 9 out of 10 times.

Well I definitely agree with what you're saying about what the best chance is to make it in under normal circumstances, and like I said, both teams even being there yesterday had very much to do with their respective QBs. The future prospects of the Pats and Giants are certainly much better than that of either the Ravens or 9ers because of their QBs. I just think yesterday was more an exception than the rule, regardless of which team actually won, as it had little to do with their QBs. Look at it this way, despite having vastly superior QBs here is what each team needed to happen to barely pull off a win:

Pats: Two INTs overturned by penalty (one of which was very questionable), a dropped game-winning TD, a non-call on a blatant penalty on the last throw of the game, and a missed chipshot.

Giants: Two muffed punts by the opposing backup returner and having the ball given back to them after a lost fumble on a ridiculous call that couldn't be challenged.

If anything, these two teams were more of this weeks version of the 49ers than they were by any means riding the back of their "elite" QBs. In all honesty, Alex Smith did more last week for the 49ers than Eli or Brady did for their teams this week. If just one of the many above mentioned things doesn't happen, those teams are in all likelihood watching the game at home with the rest of us. Again, I'm not going to argue with the overall premise of the QB, and obviously the importance of their QB to get those teams there to begin with certainly counts, I'm just not sure if we could have possibly seen any worse football than we did this weekend unless the Jets were still playing. If not for some lucky bounces, both of those guys would currently be getting torn apart in the media for their large share of the blame for their losses.

Neither did the Pats until yesterday.

I know it's not really relevant, but I just wanted to get that in there.

Well I definitely agree with what you're saying about what the best chance is to make it in under normal circumstances, and like I said, both teams even being there yesterday had very much to do with their respective QBs. The future prospects of the Pats and Giants are certainly much better than that of either the Ravens or 9ers because of their QBs. I just think yesterday was more an exception than the rule, regardless of which team actually won, as it had little to do with their QBs. Look at it this way, despite having vastly superior QBs here is what each team needed to happen to barely pull off a win:

Pats: Two INTs overturned by penalty (one of which was very questionable), a dropped game-winning TD, a non-call on a blatant penalty on the last throw of the game, and a missed chipshot.

Giants: Two muffed punts by the opposing backup returner and having the ball given back to them after a lost fumble on a ridiculous call that couldn't be challenged.

If anything, these two teams were more of this weeks version of the 49ers than they were by any means riding the back of their "elite" QBs. In all honesty, Alex Smith did more last week for the 49ers than Eli or Brady did for their teams this week. If just one of the many above mentioned things doesn't happen, those teams are in all likelihood watching the game at home with the rest of us. Again, I'm not going to argue with the overall premise of the QB, and obviously the importance of their QB to get those teams there to begin with certainly counts, I'm just not sure if we could have possibly seen any worse football than we did this weekend unless the Jets were still playing. If not for some lucky bounces, both of those guys would currently be getting torn apart in the media for their large share of the blame for their losses.

I thought Eli played tremendously well yesterday for what was given to him.

The Niners will Keep Smith and build around him no way hes not their QB going forward.

The Niners are an elite team with probably the best Defense in football

You seem to be leaning toward this was some fluke this team was 13-3 I dont care who they played or how easy their schedule was 2 really bad plays by that idiot Williams cost them a SB they completely shut down the so called Elite QB who was heaving up prayers at one point and its s shame they lost the game. Once the Giants finnaly figured out it was time to take Vernon Davis out of the game it was obvious the Niners WR"s could not get oepn. I was actully a bit surprised in OT that the Niners didnt give the Giants a heavy dose of Frank Gore rather than coming out throwing on first down

Harbaugh called a terrible game out there. He let his special teams guy screw the game up for him. Remember the diving catch the guy made on a punt? When he got lucky to not fumble that the coach has to tell hiim thats its. Just throw your hand up and catch the ball or let it bounce. The lack of Gore was strange. All season they talked of keeping him fresh for a game like that. At one point he looked ready to run the Giants over. He ended up with 16 carries and I swore he never got the ball handed to him in the 4th. Biggest series of the season is when the 49ers have the ball 1st and 10 and the Giants 15. They put the game totally in Smiths hands. Huge mistake. And on third and 5 you call a little 3 yard out? Even if the pass is good the momentum is carrying the WR out of bounds. HArbaughs busy yelling I called time out on the sideline, but that doesnt change the fact that the playcall was brutally bad.

Still Id be planning as if the 49ers were a fluke. Those kind of defenses dont translate year after year. Our 2009 defense was great. They got hot again in the playoffs in 2010, but they were nowhere near as good. Remember our drop from 2004 to 2005? The Steelers are up and down. So are the Ravens. There are years when they fire but its not every year that their defense carries them. To expect the 49ers to do that well again is just not realistic. They cant run this college offense with a total dud at QB. Its why the Bears went nowhere with Rex Grossman and dumped him first chance they got. Teams learn to scheme a great defense in the offseason. Its near impossible to scheme the top level QB. Maybe for a game here and there, but not a whole season.

Actully the Niners defense did get it done they shut the Giants down and Williams lost the game for them. You make those type of mistakes on the big stage you probably lose 9 out of 10 times.

But their QB didn't and the only WR that could've helped them plays in Detroit.

That's the whole crux of this argument. A great QB takes those mistakes and neutralizes them with his own quality of play. A guy like Smith or Sanchez cannot recover a team from those errors. The only way a team like that digs its way out of that hole is either a Defensive play or ST play.

I agree we were a bad 8-8 team and if the wrong moves are made this offsesason it could get much worse. You got faith in Tanny ? I dont.

Harbaugh called a terrible game out there. He let his special teams guy screw the game up for him. Remember the diving catch the guy made on a punt? When he got lucky to not fumble that the coach has to tell hiim thats its. Just throw your hand up and catch the ball or let it bounce. The lack of Gore was strange. All season they talked of keeping him fresh for a game like that. At one point he looked ready to run the Giants over. He ended up with 16 carries and I swore he never got the ball handed to him in the 4th. Biggest series of the season is when the 49ers have the ball 1st and 10 and the Giants 15. They put the game totally in Smiths hands. Huge mistake. And on third and 5 you call a little 3 yard out? Even if the pass is good the momentum is carrying the WR out of bounds. HArbaughs busy yelling I called time out on the sideline, but that doesnt change the fact that the playcall was brutally bad.

The Super Bowl Features Two Coaches Who Don't Drop Everything In The Middle Of A Game To Yell At The Refs Again...

So you think the Jets should cut Sanchez?

I think they made a mistake turning this team over to a rookie. But that is old news, have to see this one through.

We gotta stop with this "it's really really hard to draft a quarterback so it's ok that we don't have a quarterback." Friggin enough. If your GM can't get you a QB, then you need a new GM. End of story.

But their QB didn't and the only WR that could've helped them plays in Detroit.

That's the whole crux of this argument. A great QB takes those mistakes and neutralizes them with his own quality of play. A guy like Smith or Sanchez cannot recover a team from those errors. The only way a team like that digs its way out of that hole is either a Defensive play or ST play.

Sorry but Smith did it the previous week vs New Orleans and actully went punch for punch with Drew Brees. The Giants Defense was playing lights out yesterday and for the last 5 weeks a lot different than the Saints . it was obvious to me Smith had no one to throw the ball too after the Giants took Davis out of the game. The niners should have gone to the run in OT because the D-line of the Giants had to be a bit wore down at that stage of the game. Gore was 16 for 74 in that game and i think he would have gashed the Giants in OT especially since the niners had already gained 150 yards rushing up to that point . I think for as much pressure as Smith was under he did a great job not turning over the ball. When you see the great passes Smith made this year in the playoffs you have to ask yourself what would he have done with a better group of WR's.

Mark my words the niners go big after WR"S this offseason

Archived