King Reports Manning and Wayne would like to be a "package" deal

Scott Dierking

SI's Peter King reports Peyton Manning would like to be a part of a "package deal" with free agent Reggie Wayne.

King says Manning would "love" to see the pairing happen, while Wayne is "very interested in the combo platter." According to King, "at least" two potential suitors are already open to the idea. King believes the Dolphins, Jets, Seahawks, Redskins and Cardinals would all be open to the arrangement in some form. Noted for the nearly telepathic connection he likes to cultivate with his receivers, the move would be a boon for Manning, but it's possible Wayne's demands in free agency could spoil the party.

Source: Sports Illustrated

Feb 28 - 12:51 PM

This part of the article caught my attention: "Miami's owner, Stephen Ross, will be drooling to get him. As will the Jets' triumvirate of Woody Johnson, Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan."

Seems King has some good inside info regarding the Jets desires. I will say, the Jets are doing a pretty good job of keeping everything in house, as I have not heard any leaks or "anonymous" jet sources saying anything to the media regarding Peyton.

This part of the article caught my attention: "Miami's owner, Stephen Ross, will be drooling to get him. As will the Jets' triumvirate of Woody Johnson, Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan."

Seems King has some good inside info regarding the Jets desires. I will say, the Jets are doing a pretty good job of keeping everything in house, as I have not heard any leaks or "anonymous" jet sources saying anything to the media regarding Peyton.

Say Peyton Manning, and Reggie Wayne agreed to come to the Jets, and the Jets found a way to make it happen salary cap wise, (it could probably be done some how). What do the Jets do in terms of offensive philosophy, and coaching? Both Rex, and Sparano are run the ball at all costs coaches, Rex in philosophy, Sparano in philosophy, and playbook (he is the offensive coordinator).

What do they do? Install Sparano's offense, or cut him out, and install Tom Moore's offense/Peyton Manning's offense? If you get both these guys, and then throw them into a different offense, and ask them to do the opposite of what they have done for the last 10+ years what's the point.

Something would have to happen at the offensive coordinator position if the Jets got these guys IMO.

Either way a new offense is being installed this season, if the Jets get these 2 players why not install the offense they know with Manning being QB he is the most important player who should know the offense the best. If we install Sparano's think Brett Favre all over again except worse because the whole team needs to learn the new O instead of just the QB. Granted Manning is much smarter in the capability of picking up new offenses (my observation), but it's still a possibility it ends bad by putting a HOF QB into an unfamiliar offense instead of what he has run, and succeeded in his whole HOF career.

Say Peyton Manning, and Reggie Wayne agreed to come to the Jets, and the Jets found a way to make it happen salary cap wise, (it could probably be done some how). What do the Jets do in terms of offensive philosophy, and coaching? Both Rex, and Sparano are run the ball at all costs coaches, Rex in philosophy, Sparano in philosophy, and playbook (he is the offensive coordinator).

What do they do? Install Sparano's offense, or cut him out, and install Tom Moore's offense/Peyton Manning's offense? If you get both these guys, and then throw them into a different offense, and ask them to do the opposite of what they have done for the last 10+ years what's the point.

Something would have to happen at the offensive coordinator position if the Jets got these guys IMO.

Either way a new offense is being installed this season, if the Jets get these 2 players why not install the offense they know with Manning being QB he is the most important player who should know the offense the best. If we install Sparano's think Brett Favre all over again except worse because the whole team needs to learn the new O instead of just the QB. Granted Manning is much smarter in the capability of picking up new offenses (my observation), but it's still a possibility it ends bad by putting a HOF QB into an unfamiliar offense instead of what he has run, and succeeded in his whole HOF career.

I'm seriously doubting the Jets end up with either of Manning or Wayne, but if they did I'm not so sure it'd be as much of an issue as you think (health permitting). I think the type of offense seen during Sparano's time in Miami was more a matter of necessity than it being his preference regardless of his personnel. While likely the Jets are in a similar situation to those Miami teams, that would obviously change if those two were to become Jets. Let's not forget, while it may have only been one season, Sparano's year as Cowboy's OC was hardly a ground and pound offense, and that was even despite a mid-season QB change.

I'm seriously doubting the Jets end up with either of Manning or Wayne, but if they did I'm not so sure it'd be as much of an issue as you think (health permitting). I think the type of offense seen during Sparano's time in Miami was more a matter of necessity than it being his preference regardless of his personnel. While likely the Jets are in a similar situation to those Miami teams, that would obviously change if those two were to become Jets. Let's not forget, while it may have only been one season, Sparano's year as Cowboy's OC was hardly a ground and pound offense, and that was even despite a mid-season QB change.

The Cowboys offense was not G&P, but it in no way resembles the Colts offense in terms of language, and philosophy, Colts run 3 WR, 1 TE or 4 wide, always out of a singleback set, I include Clark as a WR in both sets, even tho he is considered a TE. Where as the Cowboys ran more traditional formations back then. Also Sparano just called the plays he didn't design a god dam thing, Haley was the passing coordinator, and both were given a script/playbook from Parcells, not his actual playbook, but the outline of what type of offense he wanted, outside of the philosophy TD's win games FG's lose games nothing is even remotely similar.

Sparano has already made two things perfectly clear:

1) That the Jets WILL be going for 20+ yard plays this year as opposed to last

2) That he will run an offense that works for the team, not force players to conform to his vision of an offense

It's not like you need some genius OC to show Peyton Manning how to run an offense, he's practically his own offensive coordinator.

Sparano has already made two things perfectly clear:

1) That the Jets WILL be going for 20+ yard plays this year as opposed to last

2) That he will run an offense that works for the team, not force players to conform to his vision of an offense

It's not like you need some genius OC to show Peyton Manning how to run an offense, he's practically his own offensive coordinator.

Whether its Peyton or Sanchez. One thing is certain, we need to upgrade our receiving corps by leaps and bounds. Our WR's could not get any spearation last season. And this includes the supposedly FAST Santonio Holmes.

Don't forget a line with two perennial pro-bowlers in their prime and probably a top rated RT in the draft to flesh it out even more. The offense would be insane.

I'd love to see it.

But If I'm Peyton, I don't see the pro-bowlers. All I'd see is Hunter & Ducasse getting tossed around...and all the film of Sanchez getting hammered from behind because of it without the slightest chance to respond. My neck would get sore just thinking about it.

Archived