Bryan Thomas

JonEJet

Post image for Jets Sign OLB Bryan Thomas

According to the Jets official Twitter account, the Jets have signed OLB Bryan Thomas making him the longest tenured Jet for at least another year.

His deal is for one year and the cash value of the deal is unknown for now

di
di

kt_O3JqyCcM

View the full article

Bryan Thomas, Jets Agree on New Contract

By Randy Lange

Posted 9 minutes ago

Another defensive player who was eligible to become an unrestricted free agent has decided instead to remain with the Jets. This afternoon outside linebacker Bryan Thomasicon-article-link.gif became a free agent for the briefest of time after the 4 p.m. ET start to the free agency signing period before he and the Jets agreed in principle on a new contract.

Thomas' signing comes one day after the Jets announced the signing of NT Sione Pouhaicon-article-link.gif to a contract extension before he became an unrestricted FA.

With the signing of Thomas, BT thus remains the longest-tenured Jet on the roster. He came to the Jets out of Alabama–Birmingham as the 22nd overall pick in the 2002 NFL Draft, and so he is poised to begin his 11th season in the green and white.

Solid all around player, now they can draft a guy like Bruce Irvin in the mid-rounds to groom and replace. Don't need a new guy to jump right in. I am happy cause I wanted no part of Jarret Johnson from the Ravens.

helmet1.gifAccording to Jenny Vrentas the Jets have resigned outside linebacker Bryan Thomas to a one year deal:

Get more information on this signing at

di
di

Cbk3jhwA3Fc

View the full article

I agree with the part of him being a pretty good signing if he came cheap. My thing is WAS it cheap? If so cool, it'll add depth, but we need to get younger and faster at the LB position.

They would not have announced it in line with the Pouha signing if it was not on the cheap. BT and his agent know the Jets were his biggest suitor.

It's good to have him. What happens remains to be seen. I'm curious to see what the contract is, but assuming it's less expensive than most other LB's will be, it's good to at least get him locked in while we figure it all out.

I hope he's healthy enough to contribute. He has been pretty decent for us over the years.

Best hit of his career came against the Chargers in the playoffs. he CRUSHED that TE coming over the middle. I could never seem to find that hit anywhere. I've never seen it again after that game

The guys a linebacker in his 30s coming off of an ACL injury. Anyone remember Kris Jenkins?

The 350 pound 0-tech NT? Yeah.

This is not a bad signing if it's cheap, which it probably is. Good for depth. He doesn't have long, but I prefer it to wasting precious dollars on Johnson.

The 350 pound 0-tech NT? Yeah.

This is not a bad signing if it's cheap, which it probably is. Good for depth. He doesn't have long, but I prefer it to wasting precious dollars on Johnson.

I prefer it to Johnson but I think this isnt a depth move. I expect him to start and for us to not draft a linebacker early.

I prefer it to Johnson but I think this isnt a depth move. I expect him to start and for us to not draft a linebacker early.

I'm not worried about JAG signings significantly affecting draft strategy. I have no clue why but I'm not. If the DE/OLB talent is there early then theyll take it.

I wouldn't assume any OLB drafted would be able to start immediately to be honest. This isn't an easy defense to learn. Maybe Hightower, but that's about it. Upshaw if they like him at LB at all..

I think it is and it isn't. More of a worst case scenario BT starts (or alternates with Maybin based on his progress and/or game situation). But this way they don't have to bet on a rookie OLB prospect, don't have to force our hand to reach for a player too high due to extreme need, or don't have to force a rookie in there way before he's ready.

Doesn't get the juices flowing, but I can't say this is a bad signing assuming it's for cheap.

I prefer it to Johnson but I think this isnt a depth move.I expect him to start and for us to not draft a linebacker early.

I dont think those are mutually exclusive. And think it is a depth move. He's a solid player. There was a significant drop off from him to Westerman.

It does give them flexibility in the 1st round which is probably the best case scenario. They are targeting some safeties too I hear...even better. Love the feeling you dont need to reach for a player.

This is the Jets were talking about

I think it is and it isn't. More of a worst case scenario BT starts (or alternates with Maybin based on his progress and/or game situation). But this way they don't have to bet on a rookie OLB prospect, don't have to force our hand to reach for a player too high due to extreme need, or don't have to force a rookie in there way before he's ready.

Doesn't get the juices flowing, but I can't say this is a bad signing assuming it's for cheap.

Double ninja?

It would appear to me that Tannenbaum is returning to a strategy that was successful for him early in his tenure. Sign low key free agents as a fail safe so that he can move around in the draft for players that the team wants.

Trey Teague signed before drafting Mangold is the first one that comes to mind.

I don't expect any big free agent signings but I will not be surprised by a big trade.

Hopefully this is the case and if so, good signing. The Jets need to get younger and faster on defense and BT is neither

I dont think those are mutually exclusive. And think it is a depth move. He's a solid player. There was a significant drop off from him to Westerman.

It does give them flexibility in the 1st round which is probably the best case scenario. They are targeting some safeties too I hear...even better. Love the feeling you dont need to reach for a player.

Yea I saw something on Brandon Meriweather somewhere on this site. He didnt have a good 2011 but still has some talent as a coverage safety and if he could return 09 or even 10 form he's a good sign. Reminds me of Cromartie underachieving in San Diego.

My thoughts exactly. The Jets seem to finally be getting that they can't continually keep leaving themselves with these holes that they expect a rookie or prior year backup to just up and take over without skipping a beat. BT's not a long term solution at LB, but what he does provide the Jets is a player that they are comfortable with, and keeps them from being forced into any sort of desperation situation either now, come draft time, or in camp with some ill-advised trade. Just as you said, assuming it's cheap, it's tough to take issue with this move.

Yea I saw something on Brandon Meriweather somewhere on this site. He didnt have a good 2011 but still has some talent as a coverage safety and if he could return 09 or even 10 form he's a good sign. Reminds me of Cromartie underachieving in San Diego.

I actually like Meriweather. I think he'd be a solid gamble here, as depth for the draft flexibility.

Hopefully this is the case and if so, good signing. The Jets need to get younger and faster on defense and BT is neither

4.5 coming out of college. Pretty fast for his size. Doubt he still runs that but he's a good player. But I agree with your premise overall and think the Jets should still definitely not pass on a OLB they are on high because of this signing. It still doesnt change my preference of Ingram, Upshaw or Whitney or Hightower at 16.

Archived