I hope Tannenbaum and Rex's fates aren't tied

Jetsfan80

While I think Tannenbaum deserves to go if Sanchez fails to take his game to the next level (which involves merely not throwing to defensive linemen and successfully handing off the ball 40+ times without fumbling the snap), I hope the same fate does not befall to Rex. Anyone who can win playoff games without a real QB deserves a chance to see what he can do WITH a real QB.

Is it even possible for the Jets front office to separate the two or, if we miss the playoffs again, are both gone automatically?

Agreed. I truly believe Rex Ryan is a SB caliber HC. He's had some growing pains, like any new HC would, especially taking over a team like the Jets...but he's been pretty damn good overall and has a promising future. I could see the Jets firing him and winning a SB else where.

First off I would like to say goodbye because I'm going to stab myself to death with a grapefruit spoon for agreeing with J80 I absolutely do. Rex has faults: big mouth, ignores offense and still has a way to go with in game coaching but I think he should be given a chance with another GM. Guy always puts a quality defense out their and he still has a very good record comparing him to other Jet coaches. Let's lock Tanny in a cubicle with a calculator and spreadsheet and get a quality GM who knows what a freakin good football player looks like.As you see in my sig the son of a bitch cannot catch a freakin football, how the **** could he pick players?

//Tomshaned

JIF I think if the Jets fire Rex he will be offered a lot of DC jobs but no HC jobs. His mouth has created that issue, just to many teams who wont want that going on in their organization.

That's possible= Nother reason to hate Sanchez. DC jobs will pour in but he may not get the HC offer again until he puts out a few more top 5 D's.

While I think Tannenbaum deserves to go if Sanchez fails to take his game to the next level (which involves merely not throwing to defensive linemen and successfully handing off the ball 40+ times without fumbling the snap), I hope the same fate does not befall to Rex. Anyone who can win playoff games without a real QB deserves a chance to see what he can do WITH a real QB.

Is it even possible for the Jets front office to separate the two or, if we miss the playoffs again, are both gone automatically?

Rex is a fan of the wildcat and ground and pound. Upgrading QB is always going to be low on his priority list, that's just the reality. He thinks he can win it all with defense, recent history suggests otherwise..... Depending on how involved he was in this idiotic Sanchez double down + Tebow trade, I'd get rid of him as well..

Hoenstly, as much as I'm loving all this. Extending Sanchez then trading for Tebow is historically stupid.. Maybe Sanchez steps up from the pressure, he has the potential, but it's a long shot... IF he crumbles, and we're left with Tebow running this team plus paying Sanchez 21M over next 2 seasons... Everone involved has got to go..

imo, rex is a great DC but bad HC... It's an offensive league and he doesn't payu attention to that side of the ball at all

I hope that both Rex and Tanny are held accountable for their performances individually. I like Rex. i always have. I haven't had too much of an issue with Tannenbaum until last off-season. When they went all in for Namdi, I thought it was one of the most ridiculous sellout moves ever made by a front office. It was just stupid. And Tanny's supposed to be a cap guy!?! Right.

I think this Tebow trade is motivated by the same premise as the namdi debacle last year. However, I think it might actually have a chance to turn out well. Albeit, if we get lucky.

Put it this way, this year more than ever is the year of Sanchez. If Sanchez steps up, if he becomes a leader, than Tim Tebow will be what they say he is, a role player. If Sanchez mopes, or doesn't get up for this season, well then... tebow or not, we were really screwed anyway. However, we may still make the playoffs, maybe.

Tanny is an idiot in my opinion, but he may luck out, and Mark may save his job.

Rex is a good football coach.

I hope Woody can see the difference when the time comes.

That's possible= Nother reason to hate Sanchez. DC jobs will pour in but he may not get the HC offer again until he puts out a few more top 5 D's.

could you please just stop . Its getting to the point I dont even want to come to these forums anymore because every thread needsto devolve into a stupid Sanchez debate

Rex is a fan of the wildcat and ground and pound. Upgrading QB is always going to be low on his priority list, that's just the reality. He thinks he can win it all with defense, recent history suggests otherwise..... Depending on how involved he was in this idiotic Sanchez double down + Tebow trade, I'd get rid of him as well..

Hoenstly, as much as I'm loving all this. Extending Sanchez then trading for Tebow is historically stupid.. Maybe Sanchez steps up from the pressure, he has the potential, but it's a long shot... IF he crumbles, and we're left with Tebow running this team plus paying Sanchez 21M over next 2 seasons... Everone involved has got to go..

imo, rex is a great DC but bad HC... It's an offensive league and he doesn't payu attention to that side of the ball at all

I'd agree with this. Also factor in that Rex is the de facto GM (you know Tannenbaum isn't doing player evaluation), and he's got to hang for that, too. Maybe he'll learn his lesson on not just bringing in guys based on how much you'd like to have them on your side in a bar fight ("hyuk hyuk, I tellya...").

What the horrifying part will be is Woody being left alone to hire the new GM. That's why I'd like to see him hire a team president who's connected around the league. A Polian/Casserly/Parcells no-nonsense type.

I felt the same way for quite a while, but with each passing day it becomes more and more blatantly obvious that there is no head coach in the league that is more completely oblivious to the workings of the other side of the ball than the one he coordinated. We've been hearing the same excuses about it for 3 years now, but not seen even the slightest bit of evidence to suggest anything has changed in that time. I do like Rex, but he really needs to pull his head out of his a$$ if he wants to keep his job. Although in reality, the most likely scenario is that the Jets sh*t can Tanny and leave the decision of Rex's future in the hands of the new GM.

I'd agree with this. Also factor in that Rex is the de facto GM (you know Tannenbaum isn't doing player evaluation), and he's got to hang for that, too. Maybe he'll learn his lesson on not just bringing in guys based on how much you'd like to have them on your side in a bar fight ("hyuk hyuk, I tellya...").

What the horrifying part will be is Woody being left alone to hire the new GM. That's why I'd like to see him hire a team president who's connected around the league. A Polian/Casserly/Parcells no-nonsense type.

I'd sign up for Polian today even if it meant bringing his idiot son along to clean the latrines

JIF I think if the Jets fire Rex he will be offered a lot of DC jobs but no HC jobs. His mouth has created that issue, just to many teams who wont want that going on in their organization.

I dont. I think he's get HC'ing opportunities if he leaves the Jets. He's really good. Players love him. He's well respected among the league even with his antics. He's never had a losing season and he's done it with a horrible QB. Plus, he makes headlines. Rex will be a HC for another team if he leaves the Jets.

Hypothetically speaking, if they were to can Tanny and keep Rex on, you'd have to wait a few years to even see what kind of players developed under the new regime. I agree and wish that their fates were not tied, but at the same time you can't give Rex another 2-3 years worth of drafts to see how he does with different talent and another young drafted QB.

I dont. I think he's get HC'ing opportunities if he leaves the Jets. He's really good. Players love him. He's well respected among the league even with his antics. He's never had a losing season and he's done it with a horrible QB. Plus, he makes headlines. Rex will be a HC for another team if he leaves the Jets.

only time will tell

I felt the same way for quite a while, but with each passing day it becomes more and more blatantly obvious that there is no head coach in the league that is more completely oblivious to the workings of the other side of the ball than the one he coordinated. We've been hearing the same excuses about it for 3 years now, but not seen even the slightest bit of evidence to suggest anything has changed in that time. I do like Rex, but he really needs to pull his head out of his a$$ if he wants to keep his job. Although in reality, the most likely scenario is that the Jets sh*t can Tanny and leave the decision of Rex's future in the hands of the new GM.

That'd be interesting to watch. If Woody goes out and hires an old hand at GM, if that GM wants to deal with Rex and, conversely, to see if Rex can deal with a new GM kicking him out of the War Room on draft day and telling him to shut up every now and again.

I like Rex a lot but I feel he gives to much credit on people that have beat his defenses. This is why we have Holmes with the contract that he has and also why we now have Tebow.

The whole "If he was able to beat my defense then he must be the best player on the planet" mentality has to go.

I cant wait till this fails, get rid of all of them this team is a fkn joke!

How can you call yourself a Jet fan if you're actively cheering for them to lose? They've made some dumb moves and I may think some of the people involved are incompetent but I'm still going to games and still watching and cheering as much as I ever have.

How has Rex ignored the offense? I mean, he's clearly not very involved, but so what? What could John Harbaugh, a ST's coach, teach the Ravens about offense? He played DB in college. How many offensive meetings was he in before becoming a HC? FWIW - look at the Championship games this year...all teams and HC's known for defense.

Rex has paid attention to the offense by trying to build the best running game possible for a young QB. He succeeded. In his QB's 3rd year (the quintessential break out year), he decided to try and throw. It back fired. He should have stuck to ground and pound and the Jets would have made the playoffs, again. So then everyone freaked out and blamed Schotty. Well, he replaced Schotty. Picked up a guy better suited for his philosophy yet he does nothing to improve the offense? And thats besides the numerous trades, draft picks and FA's they've added to bolster the offense.

Okay...

How has Rex ignored the offense? I mean, he's clearly not very involved, but so what? What could John Harbaugh, a ST's coach, teach the Ravens about offense? He played DB in college. How many offensive meetings was he in before becoming a HC? FWIW - look at the Championship games this year...all teams and HC's known for defense.

Rex has paid attention to the offense by trying to build the best running game possible for a young QB. He succeeded. In his QB's 3rd year (the quintessential break out year), he decided to try and throw. It back fired. He should have stuck to ground and pound and the Jets would have made the playoffs, again. So then everyone freaked out and blamed Schotty. Well, he replaced Schotty. Picked up a guy better suited for his philosophy yet he does nothing to improve the offense? And thats besides the numerous trades, draft picks and FA's they've added to bolster the offense.

Okay...

fat can do no wrong in your eyes.. chubby chaser

Okay...

I guess what I see as the primary difference is that despite there being other coaches out there who offense is far from their specialty, I've literally never heard of another coach who doesn't even bother to try to be involved. For three years now we've been hearing about how Rex doesn't even bother to attend offensive meetings, and for three years we hear how that's going to change and it never does. Yet at the same time, by all reports he's still getting himself involved in bringing in a number of the Jets offensive acquisitions, not a single one of whom has not been an epic disaster. That's not to say he doesn't have the opportunity to still address this situation a little better, but he certainly can't stick with what he's been doing so far.

owNow has Rex ignored the offense? I mean, he's clearly not very involved, but so what? What could John Harbaugh, a ST's coach, teach the Ravens about offense? He played DB in college. How many offensive meetings was he in before becoming a HC? FWIW - look at the Championship games this year...all teams and HC's known for defense.

Okay...

Rex has to bring accountability to the offensive personnel. It's his job to beat the sh*t out of Santonio Holmes instead if kissing his a$$. It's his job to stuff Sanchez in a locker and tell him to stop moping. It's his job to sit in with Schottenheimer and tell him that having 45 different formations and motions is dumb, and that having a game plan that has Sanchez throwing the ball 60 times is even dumber.

Rex has to bring accountability to the offensive personnel. It's his job to beat the sh*t out of Santonio Holmes instead if kissing his a$$. It's his job to stuff Sanchez in a locker and tell him to stop moping. It's his job to sit in with Schottenheimer and tell him that having 45 different formations and motions is dumb, and that having a game plan that has Sanchez throwing the ball 60 times is even dumber.

Lets not forget games like Denver, where his defense played lights out for 55 minutes while the offense gives the game away and he completely forgives the offense and blames the defense... Talk of Sanchez being coddled is coming from defenders, and partially due to things like this. Rex puts no stock in the offense.

I guess what I see as the primary difference is that despite there being other coaches out there who offense is far from their specialty, I've literally never heard of another coach who doesn't even bother to try to be involved. For three years now we've been hearing about how Rex doesn't even bother to attend offensive meetings, and for three years we hear how that's going to change and it never does. Yet at the same time, by all reports he's still getting himself involved in bringing in a number of the Jets offensive acquisitions, not a single one of whom has not been an epic disaster. That's not to say he doesn't have the opportunity to still address this situation a little better, but he certainly can't stick with what he's been doing so far.

The only disaster I recall was Mason...but was it really epic? They traded him pretty early in the season. I guess you could make an argument that Holmes was but, I dont think so. Guy was clutch in 10 and everyone loved him. BE was an epic disaster? LT? I mean arent you being a bit dramatic?

He's going into his 4th season and every year, they've tweaked the offense with the intentions of improving it. And its impossible to really pin point the overall success of those acquisitions because his QB has been horrendous.

The only disaster I recall was Mason...but was it really epic? They traded him pretty early in the season. I guess you could make an argument that Holmes was but, I dont think so. Guy was clutch in 10 and everyone loved him. BE was an epic disaster? LT? I mean arent you being a bit dramatic?

He's going into his 4th season and every year, they've tweaked the offense with the intentions of improving it. And its impossible to really pin point the overall success of those acquisitions because his QB has been horrendous.

Your boy Holmes is an unmitigated disaster, as much as you'd like to pretend he isn't.

How do we know this didnt happen? Plenty of players have said the Rex handles things behind closed doors much different than what you see in the media. The fact Schotty parted ways, makes me think there were probably some very harsh conversations and fundamental differences that you just dont see as a casual observer.

Does Rex has areas to improve? Absolutely. Does he need to pay attention to the offense more. Absolutely. But acting like he hasnt given or tried to give every opportunity for the offense to be successful is silly IMO. His QB just sucks. If he had someone who could play, none of us would give a **** about how many offensive meetings he attends.

What moves have Rex been most directly connected to on offense so far? Mason, Holmes, Burress, Sanchez and Conner off the top of my head. The fact that Conner is the closest thing of that group to not be a complete mess is really kind of depressing. That's of course ignoring these past few days events for the time being, which I think my opinion is fairly clear on.

Lets not forget games like Denver, where his defense played lights out for 55 minutes while the offense gives the game away and he completely forgives the offense and blames the defense... Talk of Sanchez being coddled is coming from defenders, and partially due to things like this. Rex puts no stock in the offense.

It'll be interesting to see just how much he's lost this team with his kid-gloves treatment of Holmes and Sanchez, not to mention his apparent willingness to throw his boy Bart Scott out on the street.

Your boy Holmes is an unmitigated disaster, as much as you'd like to pretend he isn't.

Nobody was complaining about Holmes in 2010 when he was making game winning plays every other game and doing the fly boy all over the field.

What moves have Rex been most directly connected to on offense so far? Mason, Holmes, Burress, Sanchez and Conner off the top of my head. The fact that Conner is the closest thing of that group to not be a complete mess is really kind of depressing. That's of course ignoring these past few days events for the time being, which I think my opinion is fairly clear on.

Huh? You know enough about what goes on behind the scenes to make the delineation? lol

How do we know this didnt happen? Plenty of players have said the Rex handles things behind closed doors much different than what you see in the media. The fact Schotty parted ways, makes me think there were probably some very harsh conversations and fundamental differences that you just dont see as a casual observer.

Does Rex has areas to improve? Absolutely. Does he need to pay attention to the offense more. Absolutely. But acting like he hasnt given or tried to give every opportunity for the offense to be successful is silly IMO. His QB just sucks. If he had someone who could play, none of us would give a **** about how many offensive meetings he attends.

What I presented was the best-case scenario. If Rex has been secretly holding Holmes and Sanchez accountable and that effort resulted in what we saw from them the last three weeks of the season, then they should fire Rex right now.

Archived