I hope Tannenbaum and Rex's fates aren't tied

Jetsfan80

Nobody was complaining about Holmes in 2010 when he was making game winning plays every other game and doing the fly boy all over the field.

So the fact is that the Steelers of all teams wanted nothing to do with him, he then had one decent season while in a contract year and then become an absolute disaster the moment he got a new contract, and you see no problems with this?

What I presented was the best-case scenario. If Rex has been secretly holding Holmes and Sanchez accountable and that effort resulted in what we saw from them the last three weeks of the season, then they should fire Rex right now.

Sure...but from everything we've heard and read - Rex gave Schotty autonomy to run the offense. He botched that...no doubt. I'm hoping it opened his eyes. From everything I've been hearing and seeing, it did. So...I'm cautiously optimistic.

So the fact is that the Steelers of all teams wanted nothing to do with him, he then had one decent season while in a contract year and then become an absolute disaster the moment he got a new contract, and you see no problems with this?

He was a disaster when the season went down the sh*tter because his QB sucks. If the Jets dont choke down the stretch, this was never aired. Which in a sense, you could make the case that it was for the better. I'm fine with Holmes. He's a baller.

T.O. and Randy Moss make a lot of plays too. Nobody wants them on their teams, either.

Yet Randy Moss just signed with a new team and the Pats signed him when everyone said he was done.

Rex has to bring accountability to the offensive personnel. It's his job to beat the sh*t out of Santonio Holmes instead if kissing his a$$. It's his job to stuff Sanchez in a locker and tell him to stop moping. It's his job to sit in with Schottenheimer and tell him that having 45 different formations and motions is dumb, and that having a game plan that has Sanchez throwing the ball 60 times is even dumber.

1. Beat the sh*t out of Santonio? In this age on millionaire WR's that crave the ball, a little coddling should do just fine

2 Tell Sanchez to stop moping. Well, it looks like all gloves are off. Mark will get pressure from Tebow as a competitor.

3. Sit with Shotty. Handled. Shotty on the SS Bradford now. That ship is set to fail this season

You see, rex is doing just what you ask. You just have to open your eyes a little

Given that Rex himself has admitted to his involvement in those moves, I can say there's a pretty decent chance it's true.

So you have no idea? lol

I'm sure Rex only made bad decisions...definitely didnt put a call into his brother about BE. Or asked Schotty what he thought about LT. Definitely didnt decide to keep T Rich around when most teams would have cut him. He had no part in those decisions I'm sure.

Your boy Holmes is an unmitigated disaster, as much as you'd like to pretend he isn't.

Is Holmes the disaster, or is it the guy chucking him the ball?

Or is everything in your world a disaster. Me, I tend to believe that Plax was the disaster, and the fact he couldn't get open for his life anymore allowed teams to double Tone

So you have no idea? lol

I'm sure Rex only made bad decisions...definitely didnt put a call into his brother about BE. Or asked Schotty what he thought about LT. Definitely didnt decide to keep T Rich around when most teams would have cut him. He had no part in those decisions I'm sure.

You have to be kidding me. So what is your stance, Rex just completely lied about his involvement in those moves? Here's an idea, how about you tell me what exactly you have to support the idea that Rex completely fabricated the fact that he played a major hand in all of those moves? I mean, I know you have none, but considering I'm referencing Rex's own comments, you need to come up with something better here than "nuh uh!"

You have to be kidding me. So what is your stance, Rex just completely lied about his involvement in those moves? Here's an idea, how about you tell me what exactly you have to support the idea that Rex completely fabricated the fact that he played a major hand in all of those moves? I mean, I know you have none, but considering I'm referencing Rex's own comments, you need to come up with something better here than "nuh uh!"

I'm saying neither you or I know how much input anyone has into anything that happens with the NY Jets despite what someone says to the media during a press conference or interview. <3

I'm saying neither you or I know how much input anyone has into anything that happens with the NY Jets despite what someone says to the media during a press conference or interview. <3

Fair enough, I just think there's definite improvements that need to be visible out of Rex in the time he's around before Tanny is fired in order for him to be in any situation better than allowing the new GM to determine his fate.

Jerry Angelo was 100x worse than Tannenbaum and Lovie Smith is basically Rex with a little dignity, and the Bears fired the former and kept the latter. Way too early to say whether or not it'll work, but it's worth mentioning that Angelo's replacement is a career scout in his mid-50s. I think there's little chance anyone with any juice a la Polian or Parcells would come here if they couldn't pick their own coach.

I'd sign up for Polian today even if it meant bringing his idiot son along to clean the latrines

Consider, Polian had Peyton Manning fall into his lap in the draft and threw whatever amount of money it took to keep him there for over a dozen seasons. Other than Manning, he also drafted Freeney, Wayne, and Clark in round 1, Mathis in round 5 nine years ago, and Garcon in round 6 four years ago. Beyond that, the team he assembled was awful without Manning. He also traded away Marshall Faulk, hired Tony Dungy and then Jim Caldwell.

Careful what you wish for. Having arguably the best QB ever for 12 straight years covers up a lot of stupid mistakes and we don't exactly have that here.

I think if the jets crash and burn this year both Tannebaum and Rex should both be shown the door. They both had a horribe year last year, during the off-season and season. Going hard after Asamua and ignoring other needs was a huge mistake and don't think it wasn't Rex who was whispering in Tanny's ear about how he woud love another top corner. So after losing out on Asamua(thank God) it was plan B. Don't know what that was because they didn't do much of anything to address safety help, offensive line help,linebacker depth. Rex was just as bad. He has to remember he is the HEAD COACH and not the defensive coordinator. His responibility is to the whole team. He really needs to crack the whip on players. He's always telling them how great they are and how great the team is when it is obvious to everyone else that the team is flawed. He allows the inmates to run the asylum and it was amazing to me that he had no clue about the serious locker room issues. INEXCUSABLE for a HEAD COACH. I guess we won't be hearing any SB predictions from him this year. Maybe we will, you never know with him. I used to be a big Rex fan when he became HC because he was the opposite of Mangina but his act is wearing thin. He has to change some of his ways because if the Jets crash and burn this year it is very likely that both him and Tanny will be gone.

Consider, Polian had Peyton Manning fall into his lap in the draft and threw whatever amount of money it took to keep him there for over a dozen seasons. Other than Manning, he also drafted Freeney, Wayne, and Clark in round 1, Mathis in round 5 nine years ago, and Garcon in round 6 four years ago. Beyond that, the team he assembled was awful without Manning. He also traded away Marshall Faulk, hired Tony Dungy and then Jim Caldwell.

Careful what you wish for. Having arguably the best QB ever for 12 straight years covers up a lot of stupid mistakes and we don't exactly have that here.

Polian also won with bills and he built that Colts team around a philosophy, score a lot of points, have pass rushers that can create havoc when other team is forced to throw..... What are we trying to do here? Ground and pound, and we've let our RB's and Oline fall off, and dumped a good blocking WR for one that isn't nearly as good. draft a TE who can't block etc.. Now we're stuck in between two worlds..

Also You pointing to draft records isn't 100% telling cause they were always picking near the bottom of the rounds

Rex is a fan of the wildcat and ground and pound. Upgrading QB is always going to be low on his priority list, that's just the reality. He thinks he can win it all with defense, recent history suggests otherwise..... Depending on how involved he was in this idiotic Sanchez double down + Tebow trade, I'd get rid of him as well..

Hoenstly, as much as I'm loving all this. Extending Sanchez then trading for Tebow is historically stupid.. Maybe Sanchez steps up from the pressure, he has the potential, but it's a long shot... IF he crumbles, and we're left with Tebow running this team plus paying Sanchez 21M over next 2 seasons... Everone involved has got to go..

imo, rex is a great DC but bad HC... It's an offensive league and he doesn't payu attention to that side of the ball at all

I think Rex genuinely felt Sanchez was the right guy. Maybe he was enamored with his personality or whatever, but it failed and he needs to be held accountable for that.

But suggesting QB is low on his priority list is flat-out wrong when you see how often he fellates Peyton and Brady.

could you please just stop . Its getting to the point I dont even want to come to these forums anymore because every thread needsto devolve into a stupid Sanchez debate

I mean, he is the QB of the team Smash, and this thread is directly related to him. He's the first domino. If Sanchez fails, down go Tannenbaum and possibly Rex.

Lets not forget games like Denver, where his defense played lights out for 55 minutes while the offense gives the game away and he completely forgives the offense and blames the defense... Talk of Sanchez being coddled is coming from defenders, and partially due to things like this. Rex puts no stock in the offense.

What would you prefer, CTM? That he bash the offense that he supposedly has no involvement in, or bash "his" guys on defense?

What would you prefer, CTM? That he bash the offense that he supposedly has no involvement in, or bash "his" guys on defense?

I'd probably prefer he bash the unit primarily responsible.. lol.. Your point is eactly what I'm talking about

I like Rex a lot but I feel he gives to much credit on people that have beat his defenses. This is why we have Holmes with the contract that he has and also why we now have Tebow.

The whole "If he was able to beat my defense then he must be the best player on the planet" mentality has to go.

Hit the nail on the head!

Polian also won with bills and he built that Colts team around a philosophy, score a lot of points, have pass rushers that can create havoc when other team is forced to throw..... What are we trying to do here? Ground and pound, and we've let our RB's and Oline fall off, and dumped a good blocking WR for one that isn't nearly as good. draft a TE who can't block etc.. Now we're stuck in between two worlds..

Also You pointing to draft records isn't 100% telling cause they were always picking near the bottom of the rounds

Bottom of the rounds? Fine. Compare their 2nd round picks to others' 3rd round picks, their 3rd rounders to others' 4th rounders, etc. They still suck. They've had like 7 really good draft picks in 13 years. One of them they happened to have the #1 pick the year Manning came out and 3 of the others were first round picks themselves (even if they were low first round picks).

I'm not going to argue that Tannenbaum has made a bunch of blunders - expensive ones - that we don't get out from under so fast. Unless Sanchez shocks the world and he is the lucky recipient of having that foresight, I think the bloom is long off the rose. It doesn't take any particular skill or stroke of genius to acquire free agents by outbidding every other team.

Bottom of the rounds? Fine. Compare their 2nd round picks to others' 3rd round picks, their 3rd rounders to others' 4th rounders, etc. They still suck. They've had like 7 really good draft picks in 13 years. One of them they happened to have the #1 pick the year Manning came out and 3 of the others were first round picks themselves (even if they were low first round picks).

I'm not going to argue that Tannenbaum has made a bunch of blunders - expensive ones - that we don't get out from under so fast. Unless Sanchez shocks the world and he is the lucky recipient of having that foresight, I think the bloom is long off the rose. It doesn't take any particular skill or stroke of genius to acquire free agents by outbidding every other team.

I don't think you'd bring in Polian, Parcells, Casserly to be the GM, necessarily--their days of going on the road to scout players is long over and, as has been well-chroniceld, they all have dubious records in the draft. But, bringing someone like that in as an overseer with experience and connections might provide the credibility and direction that the current regime currently lacks. If this old hand should also happen to keep whatever GM they hire from drafting a stiff like Gholston or trading for and extending a headcase like Holmes, all the better.

First off I would like to say goodbye because I'm going to stab myself to death with a grapefruit spoon for agreeing with J80 I absolutely do. Rex has faults: big mouth, ignores offense and still has a way to go with in game coaching but I think he should be given a chance with another GM. Guy always puts a quality defense out their and he still has a very good record comparing him to other Jet coaches. Let's lock Tanny in a cubicle with a calculator and spreadsheet and get a quality GM who knows what a freakin good football player looks like.As you see in my sig the son of a bitch cannot catch a freakin football, how the **** could he pick players?

//Tomshaned

First of all who are you kidding?? Like you would own a grapefruit spoon.

First off I would like to say goodbye because I'm going to stab myself to death with a grapefruit spoon for agreeing with J80 I absolutely do. Rex has faults: big mouth, ignores offense and still has a way to go with in game coaching but I think he should be given a chance with another GM. Guy always puts a quality defense out their and he still has a very good record comparing him to other Jet coaches. Let's lock Tanny in a cubicle with a calculator and spreadsheet and get a quality GM who knows what a freakin good football player looks like.As you see in my sig the son of a bitch cannot catch a freakin football, how the **** could he pick players?

//Tomshaned

awwwww f*ck yeah

I don't think you'd bring in Polian, Parcells, Casserly to be the GM, necessarily--their days of going on the road to scout players is long over and, as has been well-chroniceld, they all have dubious records in the draft. But, bringing someone like that in as an overseer with experience and connections might provide the credibility and direction that the current regime currently lacks. If this old hand should also happen to keep whatever GM they hire from drafting a stiff like Gholston or trading for and extending a headcase like Holmes, all the better.

Chad Pennington for GM!!

JIF I think if the Jets fire Rex he will be offered a lot of DC jobs but no HC jobs. His mouth has created that issue, just to many teams who wont want that going on in their organization.

Agree. Love Rex but you can't be known as a HC who completely ignores the offense, let the locker room fall apart, is unaware at times if we have been eliminated from play-off contention or not and publically stated he did not know why his 50 million $$ WR was not on the field in a must win game. As for Tanny, I think the 2010 playoff run convinced both he and Rex that they were a slightly more explosive offense away from getting to a SB. They just chose the wrong guys with the Plex , Mason and Holmes signings.

They also could not have foreseen Sanchez ,Greene and Brick having awful seasons. TheTebow signing was forced on them by Woody IMO. Neither Rex or Tanny if dismissed after next season would land a job with their current title.

Archived