Keeping Ty Law is very financially possible

aec4

I am not the biggest fan of his play, but most think he's doing a good job this year. Also, most think he's a gonner at the end of this year because of his contract.

Let me explain why it is not crippling financially. For starters, that 11 million dollar roster bonus you have all heard about? It's an option bonus. That's a big difference. Basically, an Option bonus is a signing bonus triggered later in the deal. This means it can be spread out. If there was a new CBA, it would be allowed to be spread out for the length of the contract. Law is signed thru 2011. Since there is not a new CBA, bonuses can only be spread until 2009.

This means if there is a new CBA, his 11M option bonus would count 1.8333M per year on the cap. With the current CBA, 2.75M. Teams have been giving option bonuses hoping for a new CBA by time they are triggered.

This new 3M bonus Ty Law was given was NOT new money. He guaranteed his 3M salary for 2006 since he hit playing time incentives. By taking the bonus now, the Jets can spread the hit over 5 seasons (600K per season).

This means, with a new CBA, Ty Law's cap hit would be 600K + 1.83333M + 455K (base salary) in 2006. This means a 2.888M cap hit.

If there is not a new CBA, Ty Law's cap hit in 2006 would be 600K + 2.75M + 455K or 3.805M cap hit.

If Ty Law is cut before he gets his 11M (which is obviously when he'd be cut), we'd save 1.405M on the cap in 2006 with or without a new CBA.

See, having Ty Law around is not that crippling financially.

Good job AEC4....awesome info.

Ty Law is still the best corner we have. And next year I think he could be better. Players aren't always the same after missing a year (or most of) due to injury.

I say bring him back and move him to safety eventually!

call me crazy but maybe just maybe it's not a good idea to have a guy on the roster with a rule named after him.

and this isn't a roy williams situation either where horse collaring was just one part of his game. Ty law was never a burner. his whole game is abusing people.

yes he has good hands, great instincts. But he's not as fast as he should be, looks overweight and most likely will be getting called for those penalties until he retires.

SEE YA!

I like Miller a lot..

Unless Law comes on the cheap i'd rather go with miller at 1 cb and Strait/Barret at the other corner..

Sign Grady Jackson or Sam Adams and the defense will be OK...

You can have a top 5 defense but if your O cannot score you will not win!

Funny but I do not recall Ty Law getting burned in man to man coverage this year. Perhaps I miised the play. His foot is bothering him to some degree because he ussually moves around better. The Jets got good pressure on Brady but really that was the first game in a long time they got pressure from thier D Line. I could see our secondary improving into next year as is. The main concern of mine on defense is getting a bonafied NT that can play effectively in the 3-4, 46 and other such alignments. Other than that maybe some depth would be nice at LB but I think this unit is pretty good and young.

call me crazy but maybe just maybe it's not a good idea to have a guy on the roster with a rule named after him.

and this isn't a roy williams situation either where horse collaring was just one part of his game. Ty law was never a burner. his whole game is abusing people.

yes he has good hands, great instincts. But he's not as fast as he should be, looks overweight and most likely will be getting called for those penalties until he retires.

SEE YA!

Aec4 how much of a cap hit would it be to cut everyone? :wink:

Good point Faba - It is puzzling because he could certainly tackle in New England.

One more reason to keep him is to put him at FS that would give the defense a lot of flexability.

Rsherry

On some of the plays it is almost like he was not even going full out to try to make the tackle- anyone else get this impression in watching Ty Law?

Rsherry

On some of the plays it is almost like he was not even going full out to try to make the tackle- anyone else get this impression in watching Ty Law?

I don't think he can go full-out. That foot injury was a major one. Anything busted up from the hip-down changes a player for the worse, often permanently. See: Curtis Martin's high-ankle sprain season, L. Coles toe problem, D-Rob's lack of knee cartlidge. It's easy to forget that these guys are too often held together with duct tape and baling wire.

From a psychological standpoint, keeping Law is just something this team can not do.

As he is viewed in this lockerroom, he is teh man that was brought in to bring the Jets to teh Super Bowl. The missing piece.

To keep him on will be a sho wof the organization that they are buying into th einjury excuse, and that they will walk right back into the expectations of Summer '05.

I do not believe that anyone is deluding themselves that much.

The Jets must show that they are willing to make changes, and Ty Law will be the perfect first representation of that.

He will not be here

Great job with this info. If keeping Law is not a huge burden on the cap I am not opposed to keeping him but I am curious to see the money he wants if he were to restructure. I think he thinks he is #1 and warrants 6-7 million a year which the Jets cannot afford or should he be given. They need some kind of experienced veteran presence back there and the moving to safety idea is not bad either.

have you watched ANY Jets games this year?

If you have ANY DVR'd check every 3rd down completion is on LAW!! Every one except for like two!!!!

Check the DVR...

Dear Noob - the announcers mentioned on several occasions that the Pats were not throwing Law's way. They clearly were staying away. Getting beaten because your D Line is not getting pressure or because you release a man in zone coverage and no one is there to pick him up is not getting burned. This was the case in many of the past games. The D-Line was getting no pressure. He can sill hang with anyone down the sideline man to man.

What would be the point of keeping Ty Law around? Next year should be a rebuilding year like what the Titans are going through right now. Our starting corners next year should be Justin Miller and Derrick Strait. The underachievers that are making millions need to get flushed out now so that our new GM and head coach can go about building the foundation of a winner in 2007.

Dear Noob - the announcers mentioned on several occasions that the Pats were not throwing Law's way. They clearly were staying away. Getting beaten because your D Line is not getting pressure or because you release a man in zone coverage and no one is there to pick him up is not getting burned. This was the case in many of the past games. The D-Line was getting no pressure. He can sill hang with anyone down the sideline man to man.

Exactly. Ty Law has not been beat deep ONCE this entire season, not ONCE! Pretty damn good if you ask me. Ok, so he has given up some short little passes, so does every other corner in the NFL.

By next year, his foot will be 100% healed, he'll be faster, and he'll be able to cut much better which means less short passes completed his way.

If ty law can be kept, he has to be kept. This is a guy who can, in a few years, move to free safety and play another 5 years.

Archived