Jets Defense, Changes Coming ?

Smashmouth

I see no changes. Can't a brother get a little peace? There's war on the streets and a war in the Middle East.

I am pretty sure that Marky Mark stopped all the hostility in the 90's by saying, "Peace in the Middle East". I would have to wiki it but I think he already took care of it all.

Moving to the 4-3 would also further explain why Bart Scott is all but a goner.

Coples-Pouha-Ellis-Wilkerson

Thomas-Harris-Pace

With a couple new LB's added to the mix either via the draft or free agency. I can roll with that as our base front 7, with Rex throwing in a lot of different looks.

Thomas and Pace aren't 4-3 linebackers.

They're 4-3 defensive ends.

Scott fits the role of a Sam 4-3 backer.

4-3 linebackers are Vilma sized.

Small and fast that flow to the ball and can drop in coverage.

Thomas and Pace will get exploited as 4-3 backers covering rb's and trying to range across the field to run down ball carriers.

If guys think the d looks slow now..

The Jets aren't switching their base D.

No, you're just accusing me of editing history while conveniently ignoring the fact that the Jets actual two best defenders in Abraham and Vilma were both sent packing directly related to Mangini's insistence on a scheme change. That's not even mentioning that a number of other starters (DRob, Barton, Hobson) were forced into positions they didn't come close to fitting in.

Yeah? Abraham had nothing to do with handing out a big contract to a very unstable player? What would be the benefit of keeping him around? Did they not get GREAT value for him?

As far as Vilma...dime a dozen LB replaced the very next season...Still would suck behind our one DT 4-3.

What system does Hobson fit into? He and Barton were about as good as they'd be in a 4-3 during their short tenure here in the 3-4. Both would move on to play in another 3-4....

Meanwhile the #2 DT on that devastating 4-3 Mangini cost us....Mosley?

I'm stunned this is still something to talk about.

I'm stunned this is still something to talk about.

This coming from the f'n guy who was the one who felt the need to seriously start an argument over the fact that DRob at NT was a square peg in a round hole in order to defend the defensive genius of the great Eric Mangini. Unbelievable. I know you think repeating the same nonsense endlessly makes some of your asinine positions gain some sort of merit, but it really doesn't.

This coming from the f'n guy who was the one who felt the need to seriously start an argument over the fact that DRob at NT was a square peg in a round hole in order to defend the defensive genius of the great Eric Mangini. Unbelievable. I know you think repeating the same nonsense endlessly makes some of your asinine positions gain some sort of merit, but it really doesn't.

Welll it's not like I'm wrong...the 2006 roster...hell the 2005 roster...was an NFL D by task and label only. Maybe if the talent for a good long lasting 4-3 was ripped from us by The Terrible Tyrant...

Oh and irony to close....

Who sticks to one front in today's NFL anyway? That's so grody.

I agree and the whole convo is somewhat useless. the difference is, if you are a 4-3 team you can't flex into a 3-4 effectively. a 3-4 team can play any front. Rex uses a ton of 4 man fronts and his defense truly is a one-gap hybrid, not a boring two gap straight up 3-4 like his brother's or Romeo's in KC.

shifting from the 3-4 to the 4-3 is rarely an upgrade. it's a sign of surrender. See the Patriots sheisty defense as a prime example.

it should also be noted that every defense in the league goes 4 man fronts on 3rd down. Nickel and Dime are 40 fronts.

The Jets base D will be the 46 when playing the few smashmouth teams left in the NFL, and a 4-2-5 against teams like NE, and even 3-2-6, and 3-1-7 looks depending in down, and distance, Rex was looking for another talented player who can help stop the run consistently out of those formations, but also be able to get to the QB in those situations, we have run stoppers, but none of them can also get to the QB, and that's how NE exploited the Jets D last year by running No Huddle so the Jets could not change their D packages, I think Rex's goal is to make his front 5 (or front 7 against smashmouth teams) the guys who play in both situations all the time so he doesn't need to shuffle in his run stuffers, and his pass rushers to counter the Pats and any other teams no huddle, and Coples fits this to Rex Ryan.

This was the type of D Rex had in Baltimore, he put 11 guys on the field, and trusted all 11 in every down and distance. This made it impossible to game plan specific against them, and he is trying to create that here, it won't happen overnight, but hopefully Coples is a big piece in that plan.

I agree and the whole convo is somewhat useless. the difference is, if you are a 4-3 team you can't flex into a 3-4 effectively. a 3-4 team can play any front. Rex uses a ton of 4 man fronts and his defense truly is a one-gap hybrid, not a boring two gap straight up 3-4 like his brother's or Romeo's in KC.

shifting from the 3-4 to the 4-3 is rarely an upgrade. it's a sign of surrender. See the Patriots sheisty defense as a prime example.

it should also be noted that every defense in the league goes 4 man fronts on 3rd down. Nickel and Dime are 40 fronts.

Agreed with this

if we switch defense's i hope we have the player to do it. i believe that is one of the biggest reasons magnini got canned. he tried to switch defenses when we didn't have the personal to do it, and then wondered why j abe, farrior, and what's his face that went to the saints left.

Archived