Lebron just wanted zero part of Miami's last possession

Matt39

They definitely are a great team top to bottom and it makes me wonder what the Knicks could have accomplished if they didn't have the injuries to Lin, Shump, Davis and Chandler's Flu. We absolutely mollywhopped those guys in back to back nights earlier in the year and lost the final game at Indiana after getting complacent being up 17 early in the 4th quarter (without Lin).

Also, looking back on it,I forgot how awesome Lin looked in those games and am pretty damned excited to see what he can do with a full healthy off-season. I mean those two games against the Pacers after Granger came out and said we have two easy Ws coming up he put up 16-6-6 on only 8.5 shot attempts and shooting 53% from the field. Small sample size, but those games just reminded me of how great we looked as a team with an actual point guard controlling the tempo and setting up Melo and Amare in their sweet spots. The kid had a PER in the low 20s for the games he started and if he can give us that for a full season, pretty sure the atlantic is ours next year.

It's just an odd revisionist history that hit during that series. That Howard Beck article on Meloball just threw everything out the window that the Knicks had done under Woodson when the team was healthy. Up until the playoffs, Woodson used Melo in iso really only when both Amare and Lin weren't on the court. He wasn't playing the wing and they weren't playing Meloball when there were other players. The Knicks were plus-6.4 better in efficiency margin with only Anthony, but they were plus-15.3 when Woodson had all three of Anthony, Stoudemire and Lin in the lineup. Here's the thing though, under Woodson, individually, Melo as an individual player was less efficient with both Stat and Lin on the court, but at his best with Lin and no Stat. Ditto for Stat, even though his #'s when Melo's off the court and Lin on are way more staggering. Further proof that Stat needs to go and Melo's place is on the block. As for Lin, the offense as a whole averaged over 3 points more per game and 2% higher on shooting. Perhaps most telling is that Lin played his best under D'Antoni without at least one of them, but his best under Woodson came when all 3 were on the court. Further reason to believe Woodson should be able to make next year's team work even if he has to deal with a mess at the forward position. The team as a whole, before the injury bug hit, was over 11 points higher on efficiency than under D'Antoni. That doesn't just change overnight, no matter who you're playing. The only thing that puts that drastic of a halt to a run like that is injury.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

40 points, 18 boards, 9 dimes

He pulled a cleveland Lebron, absolutely dominant. Thing is though, if Wade didn't find his game and absolutely go off in the second half, we'd be talking about the Heat being down 3-1 and on the brink of elimination. It's clear Miami's flaws and unless Wade puts up those type of numbers, it really doesn't matter what Lebron does. Not to mention Haslem came up huge as well. I see it going to 7.

He pulled a cleveland Lebron, absolutely dominant. Thing is though, if Wade didn't find his game and absolutely go off in the second half, we'd be talking about the Heat being down 3-1 and on the brink of elimination. It's clear Miami's flaws and unless Wade puts up those type of numbers, it really doesn't matter what Lebron does. Not to mention Haslem came up huge as well. I see it going to 7.

I get that it took a couple games to find a groove without Bosh spreading out the baseline, but did it really take his team going down 2-1 for Lebron to realize that nobody can stop him when he's attacking the rim? I've never seen an athlete shrink from so many moments that weren't even really moments to begin with. Maybe Sanchez.

His last game notwithstanding, if you were making a team of "gifted players who should have been so much more", would LeBron belong on it?

PG: Gary Payton

SG: David Thompson

SF: LeBron (?)

PF: David Robinson

C: Patrick Ewing

Bench: Dominique Wilkins, Allen Iverson, Clyde Drexler, Connie Hawkins, Chris Webber, Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, Len Bias

His last game notwithstanding, if you were making a team of "gifted players who should have been so much more", would LeBron belong on it?

Bench: Dominique Wilkins, Allen Iverson, Clyde Drexler, Chris Webber, Len Bias

This should really be called Gifted Players Who Should Have Been More Who Aren't Named Connie Hawkins.

I get that it took a couple games to find a groove without Bosh spreading out the baseline, but did it really take his team going down 2-1 for Lebron to realize that nobody can stop him when he's attacking the rim? I've never seen an athlete shrink from so many moments that weren't even really moments to begin with. Maybe Sanchez.

Exactly. It boggles your mind. He's such a physical freak that he can legitimately get off just about any shot he wants on just about anybody in the league, yet there are times where he's complacent to just be a 6'9 point guard taking step back 18 foot jumpers. Then, for whatever reason it may be, he apparently has one of those wait a minute I'm lebron ******* james moments and scores 40 points from the free throw line down. Usually he'll give a "well they disrespected me" or "wade or coach really lit a fire under me" etc. comment and the media will go on to felate him about what a competitor he is. It's such bullsh*t. Why didn't he play like that every other game. If Hibbert and West don't get into foul trouble and can give Indiana that presence down low, what are the odds LBJ shies away from attacking the rim again?

Bench: Dominique Wilkins, Allen Iverson, Clyde Drexler, Connie Hawkins, Chris Webber, Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, Len Bias

I'd throw Drazen Petrovic's name up there, not because he was as physically gifted as the aforementioned, but he was turning into a definite star before his death. And my family followed him and Vlade religiously after moving from yugoslavia, so it's just ingrained into me.

Exactly. It boggles your mind. He's such a physical freak that he can legitimately get off just about any shot he wants on just about anybody in the league, yet there are times where he's complacent to just be a 6'9 point guard taking step back 18 foot jumpers. Then, for whatever reason it may be, he apparently has one of those wait a minute I'm lebron ******* james moments and scores 40 points from the free throw line down. Usually he'll give a "well they disrespected me" or "wade or coach really lit a fire under me" etc. comment and the media will go on to felate him about what a competitor he is. It's such bullsh*t. Why didn't he play like that every other game. If Hibbert and West don't get into foul trouble and can give Indiana that presence down low, what are the odds LBJ shies away from attacking the rim again?

LeBron has NO excuse to be playing the "he's bored" card. He hasn't accomplished anything. Larry Bird at his apex used to get bored because he already had multiple rings, so some games against weak competition his teams would lose as he "experimented".

As for LeBron, this is the playoffs, he has no rings, yet he's only shown flashes of interest to play at his peak abilities. It's maddening.

You're right, he deserves a spot on the team.

He deserves to own it. Guy got completely screwed out of having a career because he was black. Won ABA MVP when he was 19. Nine-teen. There's an all-time book about him called Foul! by David Wolf, should required reading for any basketball fan. He goes down as a top-5 forward easily if not for all the B.S.

I think it's a problem he's had for a while, he's so focused on wanting to be a good teammate non-stop that he doesn't realize when to turn it off. There's a time and a place for doing that. It's kind of weird that he hasn't realized still when it's Lebron time and when it isn't. It's his 9th year, this is something he should have figured out 2-3 seasons ago.

A spot? He deserves to own it. Guy got completely screwed out of having a career because he was black. Won ABA MVP when he was 19. Nine-teen. There's an all-time book about him called Foul! by David Wolf, should required reading for any basketball fan. He goes down as a top-5 forward easily if not for all the B.S.

Sorry, wasn't around for him, so I had no idea.

He deserves to own it. Guy got completely screwed out of having a career because he was black. Won ABA MVP when he was 19. Nine-teen. There's an all-time book about him called Foul! by David Wolf, should required reading for any basketball fan. He goes down as a top-5 forward easily if not for all the B.S.

Agreed, but it was the ABL MVP he won at 19... he also won the ABA MVP and championship in the league's inagrual season - but that was in '67-'68, when he was in his mid-20's.

Great book. Absolutely got robbed due to that point-shaving scandal; if I remember correctly he was a freshman at the time when Iowa was being investigated and thus not even able to be part of the point-shaving ordeal. Regardless, those numbers he put up against Wilt and Elgin in the WCF during his first year/or second year? was absolutely incredible ( I can't remember his averages for the series, but I remember he had some just unreal games). One could only imagine the type of numbers he would have put up if he didn't destroy his body playing two-a-days for the effin globetrotters.

I'm really impressed how the Heat came back in this series. They showed they werent merely bulies. They faced adversity, had a little meltdown by Wade but regrouped and righted the ship.

Man he's really damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If he has a great 4th in any game, well that's just what he's supposed to do. If he ****s up, he's a giant pussy. I'm actually kind of impressed with the dude by now, probably nobody in history has come under as much scrutiny as Lebron has the past 2 years (albeit it plenty self-induced), but that was one heck of a comeback this series with his back against the wall.

:( :( :(

Sorry man. They dominated them last year and Wade and Lebron weren't playing this well at that time. Lebron's clearly hitting the beginning of his prime to boot. I think San Antonio might stand a chance but this dude has been insane the past few games. Unless he pulls a Munson, which is always possible with him, it's over.

:( :( :(

Next game is the real start of the series. You had one day rest after a 7 game series to face a new team. You'll be ready the next game and I doubt you guys shoot 50% from the line again. Ray allen's ankle is definitley wrong or he's just flat out done. Pierce needs to drive more for you guys to have a shot.

As long as Bron and Wade keep playing like this, they wont need to worry about Bron curling up into a ball late game.

Feel bad for KG. Guy is having the postseason of his career but they just dont have the fire power to hang with Miami playing this well.

Next game is the real start of the series. You had one day rest after a 7 game series to face a new team. You'll be ready the next game and I doubt you guys shoot 50% from the line again. Ray allen's ankle is definitley wrong or he's just flat out done. Pierce needs to drive more for you guys to have a shot.

Pierce is not healthy. He can barely get the ball to the rim on his drives. The Celtics best chance at winning this series is going to be on the perimeter. If Pierce, Allen and Bass actually make some shots, this could be a different series. But they have no chance in hell vs. the Heat with a combined shooting of 10-36 from the field. Not a chance. Those 3 were absolutely worthless in last nights game.

Pierce is not healthy. He can barely get the ball to the rim on his drives.

I've literally forgotten he's been on the floor. All I keep thinking is "how are these guys gonna win with just KG, Bass and Rondo?" Sad.

Will this Heat team be the least likable champion in any sport ever? I think so.

Archived