2 hypotheticals, Sanchez doesn't progress...

pointman

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you imagine what the uproar would be if McElroy or Kerley got the nod over Tebow....Forget it it ain't happening. If Sanchez falters, heck if he even one bad game the calls will be out from fans and the media for Tebow.

I think it depends on what the Jets think is progress....If he doesn't progress to their liking then I would think they would be looking for a QB in the next the draft.

We don't know what the Jets hierarchy is going to consider progress....last year he was better in the red zone but the longball disappeared. His leadership was questioned along with his attitude.

If I was running the Jets I would give him the season, see how things go and make the decision from there. Do I get rid of him if he doesn't put up Brady, Brees or Rogers type numbers ? No

Would I get rid of him if last seasons collapse carried over into this season ? I would start looking for QB's in the 2013 draft.

Here is going to be the interesting question. If Sanchez shows progress but the team finishes 8-8 or 9-7 and misses the playoffs, what do you do ?

Can you imagine what the uproar would be if McElroy or Kerley got the nod over Tebow....Forget it it ain't happening. If Sanchez falters, heck if he even one bad game the calls will be out from fans and the media for Tebow.

I think it depends on what the Jets think is progress....If he doesn't progress to their liking then I would think they would be looking for a QB in the next the draft.

We don't know what the Jets hierarchy is going to consider progress....last year he was better in the red zone but the longball disappeared. His leadership was questioned along with his attitude.

If I was running the Jets I would give him the season, see how things go and make the decision from there. Do I get rid of him if he doesn't put up Brady, Brees or Rogers type numbers ? No

Would I get rid of him if last seasons collapse carried over into this season ? I would start looking for QB's in the 2013 draft.

Here is going to be the interesting question. If Sanchez shows progress but the team finishes 8-8 or 9-7 and misses the playoffs, what do you do ?

I am with you. Seems like the consensus on the board.. when you wade through the trolling and lol's.

Progress is defined not by the numbers, but more by the actual experience.. if that makes sense. We can all google his stats from last season, but off the tops of our heads, we can all remember the poor choices, the fear of throwing down field, and the lack of ball security. If he goes .500 or 9-7, and misses the playoffs he has to be done. If he gets in and makes a run he saves his career here. Honestly? I don't think he's our guy. Its time to try and find a replacement.

I am with you. Seems like the consensus on the board.. when you wade through the trolling and lol's.

Progress is defined not by the numbers, but more by the actual experience.. if that makes sense. We can all google his stats from last season, but off the tops of our heads, we can all remember the poor choices, the fear of throwing down field, and the lack of ball security. If he goes .500 or 9-7, and misses the playoffs he has to be done. If he gets in and makes a run he saves his career here. Honestly? I don't think he's our guy. Its time to try and find a replacement.

I agree with the both of you - all valid points. Although early in the year yet, Mark has showed progress and has worked on his weaknesses from last year - ball handling and security. He played out of the pocket at camp yesterday and took his time throwing. Tebow on the other hand still looks shaky and threw the ball away a little faster (like Mark did last year). Our D still looks better, but the O'line is def good this year, which will help protect Mark. I say we go another year.

I seriously doubt he will regress to the point that fans will call for Tebow simply due to Sparanos offense eliminating the confusing gadgets and movements that confuses the sh*t out of the offense, but doesn't confuse the defense. My serious concern is whether the team has invested too much into the WRs and not enough in the RBs. Do we have the horsepower in the backfield to ground and pound? I just don't know?

I agree with the both of you - all valid points. Although early in the year yet, Mark has showed progress and has worked on his weaknesses from last year - ball handling and security. He played out of the pocket at camp yesterday and took his time throwing. Tebow on the other hand still looks shaky and threw the ball away a little faster (like Mark did last year). Our D still looks better, but the O'line is def good this year, which will help protect Mark. I say we go another year.

Honestly, I haven't seen him throwing and I am not a professional analyst on quarterback mechanics. But from what I've read about him in the update threads, it seems like he isn't doing anything special. He is completing like 1 out of 10 passes, and throwing some INTs. I know its just the start, and I am sure he can get better or might have even. But nothing in the written form seems to back that sentiment up. Only positive I've heard is his legs got fatter. Congrats?

So he has more patience. He also knows that this is camp and his own D isn't going to level him at every opportunity. I think that comes more into play here, than him somehow maturing during the off season.

Tebow isn't even worth talking about. I am sure our other fullback Conner can throw like a sloppy high schooler too.

And don't get me wrong. I am not a Sanchez hater. I am just tired of having to slap my own face silly from facepalming all his poor decision making. We are all Jets fans here, minus a few trolls, and I mask my annoyance of him in public as he is our Quarterback now. But amongst us? I think he stinks and needs to be replaced.

I seriously doubt he will regress to the point that fans will call for Tebow simply due to Sparanos offense eliminating the confusing gadgets and movements that confuses the sh*t out of the offense, but doesn't confuse the defense. My serious concern is whether the team has invested too much into the WRs and not enough in the RBs. Do we have the horsepower in the backfield to ground and pound? I just don't know?

Judging by the decisions we made to this point, we can talk all we want about the ground and pound and how thats what we are, but according to the reality of whats transpired we are a throwing team now... well, outside of our quarterbacks.

At this point, Mark isn't "green" as a qb. He needs to really show something. But realistically, the Drew Brees and Eli Mannings of this world.. the qb's that stink early on and turn out to be something special, are rare. At this point, I am willing to say that Mark is who he is gonna be for the rest of his career. A mid to lower tier QB, that says the right things, seems to be a decent guy, but just isn't cut from the cloth of the top qb's of this league.

The deck is stacked against Mark. He opens with the Bills, then at the Steelers--both of whom are going to sack the crap out of him--then a gimme vs the Dolphins, followed by a cuisinart back-to-back against San Fran and Houston. That's a tough gauntlet for any QB, much less one with limited job security and Tim Tebow waiting in the wings. As hopeful as we want to be about the mythical switch going on in Mark's head, the reality is that it's going to take a miracle for him to not fall on his face by the time Week Six rolls around.

The deck is stacked against Mark. He opens with the Bills, then at the Steelers--both of whom are going to sack the crap out of him--then a gimme vs the Dolphins, followed by a cuisinart back-to-back against San Fran and Houston. That's a tough gauntlet for any QB, much less one with limited job security and Tim Tebow waiting in the wings. As hopeful as we want to be about the mythical switch going on in Mark's head, the reality is that it's going to take a miracle for him to not fall on his face by the time Week Six rolls around.

so negative. The Niners game is an early 1pm east coast swing for them, they have to fly 3000 miles and it's gonna be like 9am on their body clocks when kickoff happens. The Jets should win that game. as for the Bills and the Steelers and getting sacked, I think Sparano is going to run directly at defenses. You can't sack Mark if he's handing off. Houston replaced half their OL. 3-2 is a very doable start. 4-1 isn't unthinkable. the only game that really scares me is at Pittsburgh.

here's a big hypothetical, Greg McElroy making this team after he popped off to the media. let's start there. You want replace Sanchez with McElroy, that's gonna be hard after McElroy gets cut.

Talent > big mouth.

And Sims is here now. I'm not worried. We got our starter and backup on the roster. Tebow can go catch punts, and Sanchez can wash my car.

so negative. The Niners game is an early 1pm east coast swing for them, they have to fly 3000 miles and it's gonna be like 9am on their body clocks when kickoff happens. The Jets should win that game. as for the Bills and the Steelers and getting sacked, I think Sparano is going to run directly at defenses. You can't sack Mark if he's handing off. Houston replaced half their OL. 3-2 is a very doable start. 4-1 isn't unthinkable. the only game that really scares me is at Pittsburgh.

Wait, you think we beat the Niners, but you fear the old Steelers? I'd dookie directly into Polamalu's mouth before I tried to mess with the Niners.

If you're scared of Pittsburgh, the Niners should terrify you. They're essentially the Trent Dilfer Ravens, and we all know how well Mark plays against the Ravens. Houston, too, will get to him. It depends on if Sparano's presence magically fixes the running game and, really, with no significant personnel upgrades, it's tough to bank on a huge turnaround, IMO. I think we're looking at a 2-3 start (beating the Bills and Fish), with chants of TEEEEEEEE-BOWWWWWWW filling the NMS.

If you're scared of Pittsburgh, the Niners should terrify you. They're essentially the Trent Dilfer Ravens, and we all know how well Mark plays against the Ravens. Houston, too, will get to him. It depends on if Sparano's presence magically fixes the running game and, really, with no significant personnel upgrades, it's tough to bank on a huge turnaround, IMO. I think we're looking at a 2-3 start (beating the Bills and Fish), with chants of TEEEEEEEE-BOWWWWWWW filling the NMS.

I don't take beating the dolphins for granted. They get up to play us. Last year was embarrassing.

Don't ruin my last shred of positivity.

Hey, we should beat the Bills... if its the Bills from the second half of last season. If its an improved team (which on paper it is), then well... at least we will have gotten rid of Mark in our sub .500 season.

A. and he is replaced mid season by McElroy or Kerley at QB. Do we retain him for the following season?

B. but remains the starter the entire season, do we retain him for the following season?

Hypothetical "A" is an impossibility. The Jets brought Tebow in to run the wildcat, etc., but he's also Plan B. with their defense, they will not be afraid to run a ground & pound with Tebow at the helm if Sanchez gets hurt or completely implodes.

here's a big hypothetical, Greg McElroy making this team after he popped off to the media. let's start there. You want replace Sanchez with McElroy, that's gonna be hard after McElroy gets cut.

+1

McElroy is no lock to make the team. The fact that Simms got more reps than he did in OTAs suggests the Jets are looking hard at dumping deep throat.

Wait, you think we beat the Niners, but you fear the old Steelers? I'd dookie directly into Polamalu's mouth before I tried to mess with the Niners.

The Jets have a similar advantage in the '9er game to the one that the Broncos had when the Jets visited them last year. The time and travel will take its toll on them.

Hypothetical "A" is an impossibility. The Jets brought Tebow in to run the wildcat, etc., but he's also Plan B. with their defense, they will not be afraid to run a ground & pound with Tebow at the helm if Sanchez gets hurt or completely implodes.

+1

McElroy is no lock to make the team. The fact that Simms got more reps than he did in OTAs suggests the Jets are looking hard at dumping deep throat.

The Jets have a similar advantage in the '9er game to the one that the Broncos had when the Jets visited them last year. The time and travel will take its toll on them.

I was joking about Kerley. Or was I..

Sims is awesome.. as in, fun to watch the pot head play. But he is no McElroy.

Travel isn't gonna be enough to beat the Niners. They are legit, and scary. Patrick Willis makes me shart.

Kerley??? Am I missing something, the only Kerley I know of is a 5'9" WR. If he becomes the starting QB I'll have to grow soem hair so I can pull it out.

You clearly are a fair weather fan. Cause that dude is the best passer on this team.

You clearly are a fair weather fan. Cause that dude is the best passer on this team.

Fair enough..and you clearly are a Bama fan cause I agree with other posters (who are not fair weather fans) that McElroy will be lucky to be carrying a clipboard and drawing a check with the Jets.

Every one of those teams has to concern itself with the Jets' D. The Jets won't be winning a lot of games because of their amazing offense. The role for Sanchez and the rest of the offense will simply be to limit turnovers and get a couple more first downs. It's not a huge task. I don't think it's going to take a miracle for Mark to accomplish that, even against better defenses. A lot of weight is going to placed on the OL and the running game, with newly acquired speed on the outside helping to keep the opposition honest.

When the Jets play a great defensive team, it's going to be a close low scoring game. We're going to see Tony Sparano fist pumping after FGs this year.

Simms is farkin horrible. There is a 0% chance Simms makes the team over Mcleroy.

I have watched him since his Bosco days and if his last name wasn't Simms, the Jets would have never invited him to camp.

He was decent in high school, but once he got to college, he was exposed.

Every one of those teams has to concern itself with the Jets' D. The Jets won't be winning a lot of games because of their amazing offense. The role for Sanchez and the rest of the offense will simply be to limit turnovers and get a couple more first downs. It's not a huge task. I don't think it's going to take a miracle for Mark to accomplish that, even against better defenses. A lot of weight is going to placed on the OL and the running game, with newly acquired speed on the outside helping to keep the opposition honest.

When the Jets play a great defensive team, it's going to be a close low scoring game. We're going to see Tony Sparano fist pumping after FGs this year.

I agree with all that. My point was that it's going to be ridiculously hard for Mark to show improvement early on against that schedule and that he's more likely to look like crap against those teams (as any QB would). The pressure on both him and Rex will be intense if those field goals don't prove to be enough, especially if/when Tebow comes in for his ten snaps and has an iota of success.

Interesting!!! Guess my question is, why did the Jets acquire two QBs that Mcelroy totally dominated in SEC? See TBone in tears during '09 SEC Championship. OBTW...if you saw weeks Minis you would have seen both "QB Pickups" get more snaps on occassion that Mcelroy. Guess why? Jets are deciding which one to cut; survivor will be practice team QB. BTW, Mcelroy shined yesterday...as he awaits his opportunity. And for the "cut because of his remarks", that BTW should have been made by the "Team Leader", morons, Jets had opportunity to trade Mcelroy to DEN as part of TBone deal and they didn't. Guess why? The "Snake" lays waiting in the grass.

Talent > big mouth.

And Sims is here now. I'm not worried. We got our starter and backup on the roster. Tebow can go catch punts, and Sanchez can wash my car.

GK Kinne could beat em both out.

btw I saw McElroy at the Senior Bowl a couple years ago. He's got a Chad-like arm.

Travel isn't gonna be enough to beat the Niners. They are legit, and scary. Patrick Willis makes me shart.

Sure and Alex Smith makes me throw up in my mouth. The niners are beatable, especially at 1pm in the Met Life stadium. If it were 4pm or 8pm start I'd be more worried.

I agree with all that. My point was that it's going to be ridiculously hard for Mark to show improvement early on against that schedule and that he's more likely to look like crap against those teams (as any QB would). The pressure on both him and Rex will be intense if those field goals don't prove to be enough, especially if/when Tebow comes in for his ten snaps and has an iota of success.

The Jets went out of their way to really diffuse any possibility of a QB controversy so far in the OTAs. I think that will be a theme that extends thru training camp and the early part of the regular season. They want to give Mark every chance to succeed, and will bend over backwards to not undermine him. They know how difficult their early schedule is as well as you do, and the emphasis will be on protecting Mark and winning with defense.

The negatives are obvious. If Mark can get thru the early part of the schedule with more wins than losses, more TDs than ints, he could be in really good shape moving forward. If he gets punched in the mouth in the first month of the season, then he'll either have to man up or start practicing his clipboard holding skills. It's not going to be easy, especially with the team learning a new offense, but I really think he's going to be given the benefit of the doubt in the early going because of all of those factors.

If they learn lessons in the first quarter of the season, it should pay dividends over a pretty easy second half of the schedule. I don't think they'll have a quick hook for Sanchez at all with that in mind.

Interesting!!! Guess my question is, why did the Jets acquire two QBs that Mcelroy totally dominated in SEC? See TBone in tears during '09 SEC Championship.

Tebow faced McElroy once.

McElroy was 12-18 for 239 yds and 1TD, 4 rushes for 10 yds.

Tebow was 20-35 for 247 yds, 1 TD and 1 Int, 10 rushes for 63 yds.

I guess we have different definitions of domination. I believe the difference in that game was Ingram & Richardson rushing for almost 200 yds and 3 tds (Tebow did not play defense in that game).

The Jets have a better chance of beating the Miami Heat in a basketball game than beating the SF 9ers this year.

Sanchez is done here. He hit his ceiing 2 years ago and it wasnt a very high ceiling.

Some of you folks think the defense can carry the team with Sparano playing for field goals.....really?....the same defense that couldnt get a big stop one time last year?..........really????

A. and he is replaced mid season by McElroy or Kerley at QB. Do we retain him for the following season?

B. but remains the starter the entire season, do we retain him for the following season?

Why do you say silly things like this? Do you think ignoring Tebow will somehow make him not exist?

It's very hard to take you seriously on any issue if you post sh*t like this, you know.

Sanchez is clearly being graded on a curve, so him "struggling" is basically defined as throwing bad INTs that cost us games against inferior opponents. If that happens, he'll absolutely be replaced by Tebow, since the resulting PR crush will buy Rex and Tannenbaum another season before they get sh*tcanned.

Archived