biggest holes left to fill

kay_gee

all right guys, I'm sort of a nobody but I'd like your help. with a month to go before camp starts, I want to write an article on the biggest holes fans think the Jets still have. naturally I need fans opinions about this, and you guys seem pretty dedicated ;)

so your view of holes on the team, why you think they're holes, monster question marks, etc...would be most appreciated.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is going to sound like a joke but I think the biggest hole is at Punter. If we go into the season with TJ Conley or Baltz the team will lose the field position battle every game.

I'd say the parts necessary to run the ground and pound--a blocking TE, a workhorse back to pair with the always-nicked-up Greene, an upgrade at either RT or LG. It's the usual Stupid Jets Trick to avoid tailoring the roster to the scheme until it's too late.

I don't know what the story is with Hunter. I don't know if the Jets really believe in him, or if they're engaged in a huge, public group therapy session with the guy.

If you don't want to write another QB or Hunter article, my vote would go to RB. Shonn Greene is Adrian Murrell; barely adequate as a starter. He'd be a nice guy to have if you had an offense that scored a lot of points, so he could run downhill in the second half - but as a guy who's going to be expected to carry the ground & pound, he's just not good enough. I'd love for McKnight to be a genuine LT replacement, but he's got speed, but no quickness, no wiggle. He's been a disappointment. Powell seems to be the forgotten man already, and if the Jets are bankng on Tebow and Ganaway, they're in trouble. The Jets seem to want to be the last team in the league that runs to set up the run, and then throw. I don't think they have the horses.

Offensive line Depth - We really wont know much about our back ups until they get extended time in preseason. It was horrible last year and the Jets did nothing, hopefully if we get the same outcome this year the Jets make a move.

Receiving back - I have no faith in Joe Mcknight at all he cant break tackles and hes a fumbler which worries me. He could be the guy if he learns to run a bit harder and grows some balls but Im not putting too much faith in that happening. An All around RB can also fill this spot. Once again I know this is a pipe dream but Matt Forte is still having Issues getting signed and hes not looking for the most money at the position. MJD is also having issues but he may be looking for a bigger pay day. If I had a choice I would take Forte since hes younger and a better receiver out of the back field and would take less money. We have seen issues like this blow up during contract negotiations and players get moved quick lets hope the Jets are paying attention.

Punt Returner - When I say this I dont mean we need a speed burner to return punts, we need someone sure handed after Leonhard got hurt it seemed like every punt was an adventure. Both McKnight and Kerley are shaky I think Kerley can Improve and be the guy but its still in question. A few fumbles or muffs can cost games and in our division every game counts.

Free Safety - We have some big hitters back there but no real cover safeties who can roam and make plays on the ball its something we have not had for a while.

other than those 4 issues I think we are solid all around.

I read the title and thought this thread was my ex wifes dating site profile. Did think it was weird after all this time she is using the same one.

You are being very unfair. There is nothing wrong with a woman having "next" tattooed on her inner thigh. Plus, I think the on-deck circle next to the bed is a cute touch.

ground n pound baby!

Evan Silva@evansilva

Re-did 3 #Jets games last night. Shonn Greene even worse than expected. Leaves so many yards on field. Not an NFL starter, to me.

Evan Silva@evansilva

More Shonn Greene: V little short area- bust/accel. Takes forever to reach top speed. No chance to get corner. Runs like he's stuck in mud.

Evan Silva@evansilva

More Shonn Greene: Constantly buried at LOS. Lacks power to push pile. Runs small for big man (5'11/226, listed). Slowww feet. Zero quicks.

Evan Silva@evansilva

Truly didn't see anything good in Shonn Greene. Somewhat hard to tackle w/ full head of steam? Looks part. Does not play anything like it.

Evan Silva@evansilva

Actually thought #Jets OL run blocked fine. Creases there. Shonn Greene either didn't recognize them or was too slow-of-foot to hit them.

RT can we swap out Hunter! This guy is going to die against Williams.

RB we don't have a good candidate for this and lets face it for a ground and pound team we should be producing better #s at RB.

RT and Blocking TE.

We have plenty of safeties and I beleive we will have 2 quality guys step up. I know quantity doesnt equal quality but there is so much potential that 2 out of the 4 i am high on will be able to make our DB group complete. I do wish that stud was in our camp learning our defense. I think he will be healed physically but I worry that he will not be mentally prepared as Rex's defense is tough on a safety. That being said, i think that the Jets knew he wouldnt be in camp but I think it will still hurt his ability to start fast with our defense.

I also think RB will be fine. Sure Greene had a down year but he will rebound. McRB is poised to come into his own this year. I think he can see more snaps and seems poised to go after it and get them, if he wants it, i can see him earning it. then we have Powell and Ganaway, I think we have the talent, we just have to beat the other teams front 7 and earn the yardage.

LOL AND WE JUST MADE THE GUY WHO SCOUTED GREENE OUR HEAD OF PERSONNEL!!!!!! HE THOUGHT GREENE WAS A FIRST ROUND TALENT!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Greene sucks and has always sucked.

you guys are a little over the top with Greene he does not suck . If he did not have to deal with nagging rib injuries I think you would have the back we saw his first year in the playoffs. if his problem is anything its his injury prone ribs other wise hes a solid RB if his rbs continue to be an Issue then we move on after his rookie contract runs out.

you guys are a little over the top with Greene he does not suck . If he did not have to deal with nagging rib injuries I think you would have the back we saw his first year in the playoffs. if his problem is anything its his injury prone ribs other wise hes a solid RB if his rbs continue to be an Issue then we move on after his rookie contract runs out.

Greene's first year he was running untouched for the first 5 yards. He's slow as sh*t and doesn't break tackles.

Greene's first year he was running untouched for the first 5 yards. He's slow as sh*t and doesn't break tackles.

yet he somehow squeaked out 1000 yards while our O-Line had an off year and he was playing with rib issues again.

Im the first to tell you i would rather have Matt Forte in here but thats a very long shot unless talks totally break down and the Jets have any interest but using the word suck for Shonn Greene is really not fair at all.

Have to agree with the needs: blocking TE plus another RB. Greene is useful when not dinged up but we will miss LT. The pre-season battle should be fun to watch.

McKnight hasn't been consistent...Powell looked lost last year...not sure what to expect from Ganaway. At least with the RB its looks we have options...unfortunately, I don't see a blocking TE on the roster. Best bet we look at the pre-season cuts and hopefully someone falls in our lap.

yet he somehow squeaked out 1000 yards while our O-Line had an off year and he was playing with rib issues again.

Im the first to tell you i would rather have Matt Forte in here but thats a very long shot unless talks totally break down and the Jets have any interest but using the word suck for Shonn Greene is really not fair at all.

With as putrid as our passing game has been/will be this year...having a non elusive starting running back who cant catch or create for himself is idiotic. In 3 yeras his career long is 33 yards. That's pathetic.

Forte is a pipe dream...we'd have to overpay him and over compensate the Bears...

Silva's pretty credible, Smash.

I just find it hysterical that our new personnel guy's claim to fame was putting a first round value on Shonn Greene.

Forte is a pipe dream...we'd have to overpay him and over compensate the Bears...

Plus he's overrated.

Greene is cheap and not unproductive, and no one would hire him for his ability to run around the corner so I'm not sure why thats a concern. There is a poundz in Groundz and Poundz. My only issue with him is the stupid injuries.

Plus he's overrated.

Greene is cheap and not unproductive, and no one would hire him for his ability to run around the corner so I'm not sure why thats a concern. There is a poundz in Groundz and Poundz. My only issue with him is the stupid injuries.

What does Shonn Greene do well?

Silva's pretty credible, Smash.

I just find it hysterical that our new personnel guy's claim to fame was putting a first round value on Shonn Greene.

Let's ignore where he was really drafted in favor of a quote to the media, which should always be taken at face value for newly drafted players.

Plus he's overrated.

exactly what about Forte is over rated ?

JC I understand Fprte is a pipe Dream but I like like to dream now and then :)

You know your roster stinks when blocking TE, RT, and RB are showing up amongst the biggest holes. Thats how it works right? Those are the positions that aren't a dime a dozen.

I'm confused...I thought Schottenheimer failed last year because the talent sucked, but now the talent level is good enough to win with? Well, kind sir, I think you're working toward an agenda!!!

Plus he's overrated.

Depends on who sets the rating...He think he's a top 5 back...the Bears think otherwise...IMO...the Bears are closer to the truth...with that said...he's exactly the versatile back we need to add to our backfield...just wish we could find one without the wear and tear and without overpaying...

Pick up 3-5 yards on a consistent basis when he does take the ball.

The bigger issue is the guys behind him. Someone's got to break out and share the load.

Any back with decent enough blocking can do that. He offers zero ability after contact, zero breakaway ability, cant catch, , runs up linemens asses...but he gains 3 yards, sometimes.

Archived