Could Dolphins Tight End Anthony Fasano Wind Up As A Jet

JetNation

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So are you trying to say it is your belief that a QB is incapable of throwing both long and short passes over the course of an NFL season?

I'd also love to hear your explanation as to how exactly Keller qualifies solely as a check down receiver, yet he has had his YPC continue to increase every year of his career, even despite the decline in Sanchez's YPA. That would seem to suggest the exact opposite of what you're saying, and rather that Sanchez has come to more heavily rely on Keller as a deeper option as time has gone on. The idea that a TE would be considered one of a team's best deep threats would seem to support the point that personnel was an issue for the Jets deep passing game last year.

Any QB? No. Incapable of throwing long and short passes? No.

What I said was that Sanchez likes to throw short. That his TE with modest speed has been his favorite target for two straight years and his YPA is pretty low are good indicators of that. It has nothing to do with what he can or cannot do physically; it's all what's in his head.

Furthermore, my comment was aimed specifically at Slats who has repeatedly claimed that the only reason that Sanchez was throwing so much to his outlet receivers was because he lacked downfield targets. That might have been true in 2011, but it wasn't true in 2010. For whatever reason, Sanchez started throwing more and more short passes, especially check downs, in the second half of 2010. He continued that in 2011. It's why defenses put 8 in the box to stop not only the run but also to limit YAC by the up receivers.

IMO, the Jets don't need another slow TE to block and hang around the LOS to catch a few Sanchez check-down passes. If Fasano is on his way out in Miami, it's because he can't make plays downfield.

One thing I will say about Fasano is that he's been a bit of a Jet killer since the Fins got him. So at least we wouldn't be dealing with that anymore. It'd be like the Mets getting Chipper Jones. Except Anthony Fasano is not nearly as good at football as Chipper Jones has been at baseball. Nor has he repeatedly plunged a trident into the hearts of Jets fans as Chipper Jones has done to Mets fans. Now that I think about it, this is a very stupid analogy.

One thing I will say about Fasano is that he's been a bit of a Jet killer since the Fins got him. So at least we wouldn't be dealing with that anymore. It'd be like the Mets getting Chipper Jones. Except Anthony Fasano is not nearly as good at football as Chipper Jones has been at baseball. Nor has he repeatedly plunged a trident into the hearts of Jets fans as Chipper Jones has done to Mets fans. Now that I think about it, this is a very stupid analogy.

TE's in general have their way with the Jets or so it seems.

Yadier Molina?

The sad thing is Fasano would be the best traditional tight end the Jets have had since Shuler. As far as Keller, he's ok... Thought he was way more athletic when he was coming out of Purdue though. Him putting on weight to try and block was never going to work. He's a short stumpy WR who seems to have one brain cramp per game.

The sad thing is Fasano would be the best traditional tight end the Jets have had since Shuler. As far as Keller, he's ok... Thought he was way more athletic when he was coming out of Purdue though. Him putting on weight to try and block was never going to work. He's a short stumpy WR who seems to have one brain cramp per game.

Traditional TE's serve very little purpose in today's NFL. Every team wants a guy who can stretch the field, get mismatches and get open in the seam. That's the job of a TE these days. Keller does that much much better than Fasano.

I understand the principle of having one that can do both...but its really not necessary anymore. The priority is to have a pass catching option. How often is Jimmy Graham asked to block?

Meh. Jets have had better blockers at the position than Fasano (Brady, Becht), and better receivers (Mitchell, Keller) since Shuler. Fasano would make a nice #2 here, that's about it.

No way. I mean for the same thing you knock Dustin for, you can knock Fasano for as well. Dude will have a game where he has 2 TD's and then wont catch a pass for 3. Fasano has never even had 40 receptions in a season, a number Keller's never had less than.

I dont know even know what you mean by a "real" TE. There's a ton more value in a pass catching TE than there is a guy like Fasano. How often do you think Jimmy Graham is asked to block? Give me a TE who's a mismatch down field than a guy who can block and occasionally catch a pass any day.

Yeah but you also cant compare the offense the Jets run with that of the Saints or the Patriots who get way more value out of the receiving TE than the Jets do. The offense the Jets ran the last few years and will be running this year needs both. Keller isnt dominant enough to feature in a passing attack and he isnt a good enough blocker to be helpful on running plays. I think they would be smart to go out and find a blocking TE that can catch a few passes as well. Fasano is too expensive and guys like Hartsock just couldnt catch at all, but having that 15-20 catch a year multipurpose TE can be a big help to this offense to pair with Keller this season. Those types of guys when you have a Keller and a Holmes are great play breakdown options. They leak out and are wide open off playaction or long plays. If Hartsock or Mulligan didnt have hands of stone the Jets probably score a few more TDs these past two seasons. But Hartsock was so bad they didnt even want him to try and Mulligan proved to be even worse except the Jets kept trying over and over and over and all he did was drop footballs and get penalties.

Yeah but you also cant compare the offense the Jets run with that of the Saints or the Patriots who get way more value out of the receiving TE than the Jets do. The offense the Jets ran the last few years and will be running this year needs both. Keller isnt dominant enough to feature in a passing attack and he isnt a good enough blocker to be helpful on running plays. I think they would be smart to go out and find a blocking TE that can catch a few passes as well. Fasano is too expensive and guys like Hartsock just couldnt catch at all, but having that 15-20 catch a year multipurpose TE can be a big help to this offense to pair with Keller this season. Those types of guys when you have a Keller and a Holmes are great play breakdown options. They leak out and are wide open off playaction or long plays. If Hartsock or Mulligan didnt have hands of stone the Jets probably score a few more TDs these past two seasons. But Hartsock was so bad they didnt even want him to try and Mulligan proved to be even worse except the Jets kept trying over and over and over and all he did was drop footballs and get penalties.

Like I said, its a nice to have...but really not a necessity. The Jets were one of the most efficient Red Zone offenses in the league last season working without one so I dont know how many more TD's you'd be expecting. And the run game was top notch with out an all around TE up till last season.

7Keller isnt dominant enough to feature in a passing attack

Keller was targeted 115 times last year and only caught 65. I don't think the quality of passes he received were that good. If he was on the Pats he'd be Aaron Hernandez.

Keller was targeted 115 times last year and only caught 65. I don't think the quality of passes he received were that good. If he was on the Pats he'd be Aaron Hernandez.

I think thats going a little far. But I won't take issue with it since you restrained yourself and didn't say "gronkowski".

Theyre similar. Hernandez is the better athlete though.

Whats weird though is Keller was the best athlete at combine if you remember. Guy was off the charts in everything. Thats why he shot up the board. It doesnt translate in the NFL the way it did in college. He was a big play guy. Hernandez really was more a steady hand. He wasnt a game breaker or anything like that for Florida the way Keller was for Purdue.

Hernandez is just a good Football player. I think there were some concerns about his back and size coming out but he fits the Patriots scheme perfectly. Obviously playing with Brady instead of Sanchez makes a difference but still, Hernandez surely looks more athletic in pads in the NFL than Keller but wonder what he'd look like playing with a great QB.

Whats weird though is Keller was the best athlete at combine if you remember. Guy was off the charts in everything. Thats why he shot up the board. It doesnt translate in the NFL the way it did in college. He was a big play guy. Hernandez really was more a steady hand. He wasnt a game breaker or anything like that for Florida the way Keller was for Purdue.

Hernandez is just a good Football player. I think there were some concerns about his back and size coming out but he fits the Patriots scheme perfectly. Obviously playing with Brady instead of Sanchez makes a difference but still, Hernandez surely looks more athletic in pads in the NFL than Keller but wonder what he'd look like playing with a great QB.

Q: what offensive player ever looked good playing with Sanchez and for Schottenheimer?

Archived