Landry Article

whodeawhodat

CORTLAND — The Patriots may have the most explosive tight end duo in NFL history, but the Jets, frankly, aren’t afraid.

A season after getting gauged by tight ends across the league, Gang Green revamped their safety group by adding LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell with an eye on stopping Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez.

“They’re good tight ends,” Bell said after practice Wednesday. “You don’t want to take any credit away from those guys. But we’re good safeties. They’re just people. We can go out there and we can cover those guys. We can do what needs to be done. I don’t think it’s a mismatch either way.”

Landry, who hasn’t finished each of the past two seasons due to nagging Achilles injuries, remains undaunted by Gronk Nation.

“They got a lot of beasts in the league,” Landry said. “He’s not the only tight end that’s great in the league. I went up against a lot of great guys. I’m not discrediting Gronkowski. He’s a great tight end… I’m looking forward to the challenge… if they want me to go in the box and cover him, if they want me to go in the box and play as a linebacker, if they want me to go deep man-to-man. Whatever. I’ll do it all.”

Landry already has made his presence in the Jets’ scheme in the past few practices.

“They already got a great organization, a great defense,” Landry said. “I’m just trying to be that spice to this gumbo they got going on.”

The Jets plan to monitor Landry’s reps throughout training camp and the regular season. However, the hard-hitting safety hasn’t slowed down so far. He even popped a couple running backs during drills on Wednesday.

pats2s-3-web.jpg

Ron Antonelli/New York Daily News

LaRon Landry

“I only know one speed and that’s 100 miles an hour,” Landry said. “I’m either going to give it my all or I’m going to give you nothing at all. If I’m healthy and 100, I’m going to give it my all. If I’m not, I’m still going to go out there like a one-legged dog in an ass-kicking contest and still try to give it my all.

“So that’s what it’s all about,” Landry added. “Once I put on my body armor and strap it up, it’s time to go get it. That’s the only way I know. That’s the only way you get better and that’s the only way you make your teammates better — by giving it your all. If you’re going out there with full body armor and doing walk through, what kind of progress are you making? How do you make yourself better?”

Landry, who played free safety at LSU before moving to strong safety after he was drafted by the Redskins, disagreed with the perception that he can only play in the box. He even offered a light-hearted piece of advice to those people who believe that.

“Hey quote this,” Landry said with a smile. “Smack yourself.”

Bell, 34, reiterated his belief that the two of them can play all over the field in Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine’s system.

“I think if you put any combo of (Landry, Eric Smith and himself) back there, we’re going to be dangerous,” Bell said. “We have one goal this year of trying to win the Super Bowl. We think that we can both be vital parts to that.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-laron-landry-scared-patriots-tight-ends-rob-gronkowski-aaron-hernandez-article-1.1126719#ixzz22KFjFa1p

I’m either going to give it my all or I’m going to give you nothing at all. If I’m healthy and 100, I’m going to give it my all. If I’m not, I’m still going to go out there like a one-legged dog in an ass-kicking contest and still try to give it my all.

Have to love the brilliance of the mixed metaphor.

CORTLAND — The Patriots may have the most explosive tight end duo in NFL history, but the Jets, frankly, aren’t afraid.

A season after getting gauged by tight ends across the league, Gang Green revamped their safety group by adding LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell with an eye on stopping Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez.

“They’re good tight ends,” Bell said after practice Wednesday. “You don’t want to take any credit away from those guys. But we’re good safeties. They’re just people. We can go out there and we can cover those guys. We can do what needs to be done. I don’t think it’s a mismatch either way.”

Landry, who hasn’t finished each of the past two seasons due to nagging Achilles injuries, remains undaunted by Gronk Nation.

“They got a lot of beasts in the league,” Landry said. “He’s not the only tight end that’s great in the league. I went up against a lot of great guys. I’m not discrediting Gronkowski. He’s a great tight end… I’m looking forward to the challenge… if they want me to go in the box and cover him, if they want me to go in the box and play as a linebacker, if they want me to go deep man-to-man. Whatever. I’ll do it all.”

Landry already has made his presence in the Jets’ scheme in the past few practices.

“They already got a great organization, a great defense,” Landry said. “I’m just trying to be that spice to this gumbo they got going on.”

The Jets plan to monitor Landry’s reps throughout training camp and the regular season. However, the hard-hitting safety hasn’t slowed down so far. He even popped a couple running backs during drills on Wednesday.

pats2s-3-web.jpg

Ron Antonelli/New York Daily News

LaRon Landry

“I only know one speed and that’s 100 miles an hour,” Landry said. “I’m either going to give it my all or I’m going to give you nothing at all. If I’m healthy and 100, I’m going to give it my all. If I’m not, I’m still going to go out there like a one-legged dog in an ass-kicking contest and still try to give it my all.

“So that’s what it’s all about,” Landry added. “Once I put on my body armor and strap it up, it’s time to go get it. That’s the only way I know. That’s the only way you get better and that’s the only way you make your teammates better — by giving it your all. If you’re going out there with full body armor and doing walk through, what kind of progress are you making? How do you make yourself better?”

Landry, who played free safety at LSU before moving to strong safety after he was drafted by the Redskins, disagreed with the perception that he can only play in the box. He even offered a light-hearted piece of advice to those people who believe that.

“Hey quote this,” Landry said with a smile. “Smack yourself.”

Bell, 34, reiterated his belief that the two of them can play all over the field in Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine’s system.

“I think if you put any combo of (Landry, Eric Smith and himself) back there, we’re going to be dangerous,” Bell said. “We have one goal this year of trying to win the Super Bowl. We think that we can both be vital parts to that.”

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...9#ixzz22KFjFa1p

Nice.

I don't see any of these safies being able to cover NEs te. They're all pretty much the same style S.

I don't think we're going for coverage. If Eric Smith is good at anything, it's knocking guys the **** out. Landry? Knocking guys the **** out. Bell? Good hitter/very good tackler...bottom line, if you can't cover'em, smash the sh*t out of 'em.

I don't see any of these safies being able to cover NEs te. They're all pretty much the same style S.

not many defenses out there that can cover the mondern tight end. you either get get torn up on the outside, torn up over the middle, or torn up in the run game. the jets dont have a problem with 2 of the 3. not may nfl defenses can state the same

Archived