How Tebow Beat Dyslexia (edit: Dyxelsia wHo weTob etaB)

RyanBe_Tebowing

Dyslexia could never sack Jets' Tebow

CORTLAND — Tim Tebow was 7 years old when his mother Pam had him tested for learning disabilities. Tebow took a few tests to see how he processed information and what his IQ was. The results showed he was dyslexic.

Seventeen years later, Tebow is sitting on the edge of the Jets’ practice field. The quarterback just finished his best practice of training camp as he sat down with The Post to discuss the challenges dyslexia has presented.

“There’s a lot of people that have certain processing disabilities and it has nothing to do with your intelligence, which I think is a big misconception that people have,” Tebow said. “Coach [Rex] Ryan has dyslexia. He’s one of the most intelligent football coaches around. I’ve always tried to share, especially with kids, to be confident with it. You know, ‘hey, this isn’t something that’s a handicap. You just have to learn how you learn and overcome it. It’s something that you can be better off because of, because you know how you learn.’ ’’

Tebow is a kinesthetic learner, meaning he learns by doing rather than by sitting and listening to a lecture. He said he learns best by walking through things, then writing them down.

Some people have theorized that Tebow struggles in practice because he has a tough time learning the playbook. But Tebow said he does not think dyslexia has affected him on the field at all.

Since the Jets acquired him in March from the Broncos, he has spent his time learning offensive coordinator Tony Sparano’s system and feels he has not had a problem.

“This is my third offense in three years, so I feel like I’ve done a pretty decent job in trying to understand each offense and grasp it,” Tebow said. “Who knows? Pretty soon I might have all the offenses.”

Dyslexia runs in Tebow’s family. Both his father Bob and older brother, Robby, are dyslexic, too.

Tebow was home-schooled by his mother, who would quiz Tebow and his siblings at the dinner table. When he got to college at Florida, he found the classes in Gainesville were easier than what his mother threw at him back home.

“My mom was sometimes pretty tough,” Tebow said. “She made me work hard. I think [college] was easier because I was never the best test taker, but I felt like I was pretty good at doing my work and projects and getting things done and everything like that. So, I was very blessed at Florida to graduate with honors and did some pretty good things there.”

Tebow majored in family youth and community sciences with a minor in communication. He wanted to learn about starting his own foundation and become a better public speaker. At Florida, Tebow was permitted an extra 30 minutes to finish exams because of his dyslexia. But he declined the extra time.

“I felt like if I knew it, I knew it,” Tebow said. “If I didn’t, it wasn’t going to come to me. I just felt like I’m going to study hard and have this information down. I didn’t feel like I needed the extra time.”

He graduated with a 3.7 GPA.

Tebow now spends time speaking to children with dyslexia about what he’s been through. Many of the kids feel insecure about the disability.

“When kids get labeled as a dyslexic, they think, ‘oh man, does this make me dumb? Does this make me stupid? Does this make me not as intelligent as this person?’ Absolutely not,” Tebow said.

Kids now see an NFL quarterback, who is one of the most popular figures in the country and who overcame his learning challenge.

“I’ve always looked at it like if I can take this and help kids that might be shy about it or insecure about it,” Tebow said, “or it’s something that affects their self-esteem, then I’m glad I have it.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...I#ixzz22T6Zy0Zr

I really wish he'd speak more on stuff like this with some PSA's or something. Diagnosing it is such a rampant problem and kids get labeled as lazy, or dumb, or whatever because they can't complete their work. Particularly in the inner cities, where funds are nonexistent. I've seen a few instances where they don't get diagnosed until freshman year of college, which is horrible for students.

My third daughter (I have four) was "reading backwards" the lady at the daycare told us..when she was three or so..

I sat with her for night after night till she figured a way around it, and they never picked up on it in school..

She manages a medical practice today.. I think my Dad had it, he was ambidextrous and had a calculator for a brain, the best part was he could shoot left or right handed.. ha ha.

Maybe if Tebow would have slept with the football in his right hand he wouldn't have such a tough time throwing in the NFL...I keep seeing him flip the ball around..could be on to something.. LOL.

I sat with her for night after night till she figured a way around it, and they never picked up on it in school..

It's still a huge problem in K-12. Some districts require training for it as well as discalculia, but there are a ton of kids who get left on their own simply because of ignorance. Way too many instances of a discouraged kid getting labeled dumb or "just not a math person."

It's still a huge problem in K-12. Some districts require training for it as well as discalculia, but there are a ton of kids who get left on their own simply because of ignorance. Way too many instances of a discouraged kid getting labeled dumb or "just not a math person."

yeah, it sounds simple when you type it out twenty years after the fact, but it was a pain in the neck and I happened to be taking a full load at school myself at the time. It requires a lot of work to help a kid get around that..but it can be done, and has been done for years. I had no choice, really..didn't even think about taking her somewhere else.

“This is my third offense in three years, so I feel like I’ve done a pretty decent job in trying to understand each offense and grasp it,”

Tebow said. “Who knows? Pretty soon I might have all the offenses.”

* He taught some of the read-option offense to the Bronco's OC McCoy who have never run it in his entire career.

Results: Tim took a standard offense 1-4 team to the Playoffs with his 8-5 (as the starter) 2011 season.

He did that without the #1 WR, the #2 WR, or the #1 RB.

"Denver coaches and executives in the Broncos room at the draft combine in 2010 were stunned by Tim's ability to not only break down his offense at the University of Florida (A 3" thick book of Spread/Option plays) but theirs too,,, and San Diego’s,,, and New England’s.

They said they had never seen a college quarterback do such a thing."

That's coming from the Denver Bronco's Staff.

No player spent as much time studying as Tim did either. When he finally left the Broncos practice facility to go home at night, Tebow carried with him stacks of DVDs of different offenses that he would watch over and over, often calling his coaches several times at night to ask about things he noticed on the screen. He worked for hours before and during practice on his footwork.

“Tim made great strides both mentally and physically,” Broncos QB coach Adam Gase said two days after the 2011 season."

Those who have worked with Tebow say he is really obsessed with one thing: getting better.

Tebow majored in Family, Youth and Community Sciences, with a minor in Communication and graduated with a 3.7 GPA.

"I was very blessed at Florida to graduate with honors and did some pretty good things there.”

At Florida, Tebow was permitted an extra 30 minutes to finish exams because of his dyslexia.

>>> But he declined the extra time.

And he was also Awarded the Campbell Trophy, (called the Academic Heisman).

============

"At least now we know why he can't read a defense."

Yep, that's why he has 33 TD's to just 15 Turnovers, 20 TD passes to just 9 Ints.

Makes perfect sense that he's totally clueless about what the defenses are doing. :animal0029:

But these insanely great, accurate, defense reading QB's started off in the NFL with:

Elway 7 Ints to 14 Ints.

Sanchez 12 TD's to 20 Ints.

P.Manning 24 TD's to 28 Ints.

But none of those NFL results matter,,,, Tim will still never be an NFL QB because he can't throw the football....

What's best for the Jets IMOHO?

Start Mark, play Tim, then let the chips fall were they may.... :winking0001:

“This is my third offense in three years, so I feel like I’ve done a pretty decent job in trying to understand each offense and grasp it,”

Tebow said. “Who knows? Pretty soon I might have all the offenses.”

* He taught some of the read-option offense to the Bronco's OC McCoy who have never run it in his entire career.

Results: Tim took a standard offense 1-4 team to the Playoffs with his 8-5 (as the starter) 2011 season.

He did that without the #1 WR, the #2 WR, or the #1 RB.

"Denver coaches and executives in the Broncos room at the draft combine in 2010 were stunned by Tim's ability to not only break down his offense at the University of Florida (A 3" thick book of Spread/Option plays) but theirs too,,, and San Diego’s,,, and New England’s.

They said they had never seen a college quarterback do such a thing."

That's coming from the Denver Bronco's Staff.

No player spent as much time studying as Tim did either. When he finally left the Broncos practice facility to go home at night, Tebow carried with him stacks of DVDs of different offenses that he would watch over and over, often calling his coaches several times at night to ask about things he noticed on the screen. He worked for hours before and during practice on his footwork.

“Tim made great strides both mentally and physically,” Broncos QB coach Adam Gase said two days after the 2011 season."

Those who have worked with Tebow say he is really obsessed with one thing: getting better.

Tebow majored in Family, Youth and Community Sciences, with a minor in Communication and graduated with a 3.7 GPA.

"I was very blessed at Florida to graduate with honors and did some pretty good things there.”

At Florida, Tebow was permitted an extra 30 minutes to finish exams because of his dyslexia.

>>> But he declined the extra time.

And he was also Awarded the Campbell Trophy, (called the Academic Heisman).

============

"At least now we know why he can't read a defense."

Yep, that's why he has 33 TD's to just 15 Turnovers, 20 TD passes to just 9 Ints.

Makes perfect sense that he's totally clueless about what the defenses are doing. :animal0029:

But these insanely great, accurate, defense reading QB's started off in the NFL with:

Elway 7 Ints to 14 Ints.

Sanchez 12 TD's to 20 Ints.

P.Manning 24 TD's to 28 Ints.

But none of those NFL results matter,,,, Tim will still never be an NFL QB because he can't throw the football....

What's best for the Jets IMOHO?

Start Mark, play Tim, then let the chips fall were they may.... :winking0001:

I clicked on this to see how you could possibly highjack a dyslexia thread with your stupid Tebow BS and you did not disappoint

My third daughter (I have four) was "reading backwards" the lady at the daycare told us..when she was three or so..

She manages a medical practice today.. I think my Dad had it, he was ambidextrous and had a calculator for a brain, the best part was he could shoot left or right handed.. ha ha.

Maybe if Tebow would have slept with the football in his right hand he wouldn't have such a tough time throwing in the NFL...I keep seeing him flip the ball around..could be on to something.. LOL.

Bravo!

I clicked on this to see how you could possibly highjack a dyslexia thread with your stupid Tebow BS and you did not disappoint

Your own inability to see relevance in my post does not change any of the FACTS that I posted.

But I'm very glad to have been able to waste your time yet again anyway.

And your response to my post is just as enlightening as I've come to expect from your type. :animal0029:

But you have yourself a real nice evening anyway.... :superman:

Your own inability to see relevance in my post does not change any of the FACTS that I posted.

But I'm very glad to have been able to waste your time yet again anyway.

And your response to my post is just as enlightening as I've come to expect from your type. :animal0029:

But you have yourself a real nice evening anyway.... :superman:

You're schtick is just getting old, it was creative at first but if you're going to be a success as a troll you need to start coming up with some other angles

You're schtick is just getting old, it was creative at first but if you're going to be a success as a troll you need to start coming up with some other angles

Quick, call your lifeline before you jump off the East River Bridge.... :character0053:

What I know (personal experience) is that the East River is almost as polluted as the sewer that the Olongapo bridge spans over chit river.

Nobody ever drowns in the East River because with all of the crap that's in the water, there's not enough room to sink....

I know quite a bit more than many of the genius' posting here do, but so what, stray opinions (much like A-holes) have much in common that most people simply try to ignore.

And I'm glad to know that the well informed know that there IS an East River Bridge.

Other names were not needed until after there was more than one bridge over that cesspool connecting one over-populated slum to the other.

(being ugly is easy, I just usually choose not to be, but I can make an exception when it seems necessary)

Now yawl have yo-selfs a real nice day, ya hear. :winking0001:

What I know (personal experience) is that the East River is almost as polluted as the sewer that the Olongapo bridge spans over chit river.

Nobody ever drowns in the East River because with all of the crap that's in the water, there's not enough room to sink....

I know quite a bit more that many of the genius' posting here do, but so what, stray opinions (much like A-holes) also have much in common that most people simply try to ignore.

And I glad to know that the well informed know that there IS an East River Bridge.

Other names were not needed until after there was more than one bridge over that cesspool bridging one over-populated slum to the other.

(being ugly is easy, I just usually choose not to be, but I can make an exception when it seems necessary)

Now yawl have yo-selfs a real nice day, ya hear. :winking0001:

Yo, there is definitely a Tim Tebow website out there. Just sayin.

Yo, there is definitely a Tim Tebow website out there. Just sayin.

Yo, why don't you give that same advice to the constant twit diss on Tebow by many posters here?

They are Jet fans but I'm the troll for defending a Jet's QB? WTF-over??? :sign0182:

jus-sayin' :winking0001:

And another thing. Here is an example of posts that were before mine on this thread.

Bleedin Green -- "At least now we know why he (Tim) can't read a defense."

BleedinGreen314 -- "He's going to unseat Mark by week 8."

Jetsouth -- "I hope not. It wouldn't be in the JETS best interest, nor Mark's, nor Tim's..

It would set the JETS back two years, at least."

=================

Then when I post FACTS about Tim, some twit calls me a troll for defending Tim.

While the twits that diss on a Jet QB are accepted as the 'real' Jet fans?

And nobody accused those twits for 'hijacking' the thread either.

Notice that I don't start threads lauding Tim and pushing him for the 'starting' QB job.

I also don't diss on Mark, other than just posting his actual stats that is....

But Tim is not treated 'fair',,,,, so why should I be treated any different?

Tim can take the abuse, and so can I, IF the mods remain 'fair' to all Jet posters.

And another thing. Here is an example of posts that were before mine on this thread.

Bleedin Green -- "At least now we know why he (Tim) can't read a defense."

BleedinGreen314 -- "He's going to unseat Mark by week 8."

Jetsouth -- "I hope not. It wouldn't be in the JETS best interest, nor Mark's, nor Tim's..

It would set the JETS back two years, at least."

=================

Then when I post FACTS about Tim, some twit calls me a troll for defending Tim.

While the twits that diss on a Jet QB are accepted as the 'real' Jet fans?

And nobody accused those twits for 'hijacking' the thread either.

Notice that I don't start threads lauding Tim and pushing him for the 'starting' QB job.

I also don't diss on Mark, other than just posting his actual stats that is....

But Tim is not treated 'fair',,,,, so why should I be treated any different?

Tim can take the abuse, and so can I, IF the mods remain 'fair' to all Jet posters.

Because the only thing you post about is ****ing Tim Tebow and we're already sick of him. That's why you irritate people. That and the fact that you clearly have no affinity for the Jets (or New York apparently) and are just a Tebow fanboy. If you were a Jets fan with an opinion on Tebow that would be cool and no one would attack you for that.

The profanity filter is back? lame.

Because the only thing you post about is ****ing Tim Tebow and we're already sick of him.

That's why you irritate people. That and the fact that you clearly have no affinity for the Jets

(or New York apparently) and are just a Tebow fanboy.

If you were a Jets fan with a (NEGATIVE) opinion on Tebow that would be cool and no one would attack you for that.

(fixed that for ya)

Just more tired excuses from the home town twits spokesman.

I have a few posts about other Jet players and the Jets as a team, but you see what you want to see.

And I post about what I 'know' as opposed to just throwing out constant drivel about every facet of the team and/or game.

Maybe you and some of the others here should try that occasionally.

I was a Namath fan when he was at Bama, and then with the Jets. You're the newbee fan, not me.

And again you don't address the many diss posts against a Jet QB do you?

On a given thread here, they run from 3 to 1 to 10 to 1 against Tim,

but that's just fine with the 'real' Jet fans like yourself.

Really, I never tire of the ignorant diss posts against Tebow,

they're just fine and a true credit to all New Yorkers, especially the 'fair minded' Jet fans like yourself.

However, since I mostly just 'RESPOND' to the idiot posts about Tim,

IF you are really as sick of hearing about him as you claim,

then just stop posting ignorant chit about Tim and then I won't have anything to respond to.

Pretty simple really,,,, but even with that hint, your type :animal0029: will not likely make a good decision on what to do.

T-time for Jet-T's, so see ya...

Archived