Tony Sparano - saviour or scapegoat?

LionelRichie

I think you make a great point, a good QB will generally take you further then a good OC working with a mediocre/poor QB, but then what about instances like Dilfer winning a SB or more recently Alex Smith bringing his team within one game of a SB? Couldn't you make an argument that it can work both ways?

You are right. Nothing is absoute .You do point out some good exceptions but in response I would say look at the defense those teams played.

Wasn't sure if it was true or not. Still it is amazing how that didnt matter when he had a good coach and team around him.

agree but I think sometimes Jets fans put too much faith into coaching because that 1998 staff was unreal. Parcells at the head, Belly at DC, mangini, dan henning, weiss, crennell, bill muir, maurice carthon, al groh, todd haley, in the front office both Tannenbaum and Scott Pioli. I believe Westoff was there too.

yes if you have a coaching staff like that you can turn chicken s--t into chicken salad. that team was all smoke and mirrors, the coaches put guys into positions to succeed. But that almost never happens. replacing Schotty with Sparano will not recreate 1998. That staff was epic, maybe best of all time.

Actually 2004 was the 4th year Brees played and he only threw for 3100 yards. His third year QB rating was 67.5. Brees really wasn't considered elite until he played for NO and got away from the Schotty's. Thats when he topped 4000 yards and 30 TDs in a season. There were QB's who had good years under coordinators then turned to crap. Andy Reid has had a few, and so has Mike Homgren. There are others too. Martz was more a product of Vermeil than he was Warner. Otherwise Warner would have had success with Gilbride too.

check 3r year as a starter not 3rd year as a charger

It happens and it happens a lot.

Name some examples please. I can only think of the Niners with Alex Smith, who still showed his true colors in the NFC Title game when they went 1 for 13 on 3rd downs.

Really good coaches can maybe hide a players' weaknesses and make a bad player servicable, but they never take a bad player and make him good, especially at the QB position.

It's entirely possible for more than one person to suck at their jobs at the same time.

No it isn't. Not gramatically, anyway. As to your point, yes, of course it's possible for the quarterback to be bad and the offensive coordinator to be bad also. Yet you never hear about what a bad job a good quarterback's offensive coordinator is doing. Ever.

Name some examples please. I can only think of the Niners with Alex Smith, who still showed his true colors in the NFC Title game when they went 1 for 13 on 3rd downs.

Really good coaches can maybe hide a players' weaknesses and make a bad player servicable, but they never take a bad player and make him good, especially at the QB position.

Yeah, it really doesnt happen and Alex Smith is not an example IMO.

You know how the 49er's got Smith to "improve"? To throw the ball less.

Now you want to quote my response to another posters proposition as if it was meant as a response to your post??

WTF kinda nonsense sh!t is that??

So your position is that people are only allowed to respond to posts which were initially responses to them? You do realize that makes absolutely no sense, don't you? After all, that would mean no poster would ever actually be allowed to respond to anyone else. Congratulations on successfully embarrassing yourself even more than you already had, I didn't think that was truly possible. Not to mention, who you were responding to has absolutely no bearing on the fact that nobody; be it me, the person you were responding to, or anyone else in this thread, ever said what you were claiming to be arguing against.

I am done with your Shott is the devil and Sanchez is a good OC away from an MVP trophy drivel. Good day sir.

This goes right back to my prior point, nobody has ever said the OC is more important than the QB and never in million years did I say anything close to this stupid bullsh*t that you just completely made up, and have shown what a complete liar you are. You know what it says about someone when they have to blatantly lie about what someone else said? It says that they're wrong, they know it and are embarrassed by how completely foolish they look. Try having a clue what you're talking about for a change, and addressing the things others actually say and not what you completely fabricated that nobody ever said, instead of wasting everyone's time with this lying garbage.

No it isn't. Not gramatically, anyway. As to your point, yes, of course it's possible for the quarterback to be bad and the offensive coordinator to be bad also. Yet you never hear about what a bad job a good quarterback's offensive coordinator is doing. Ever.

Kevin Gilbride would like a word with you

No it isn't. Not gramatically, anyway.

It's such amazing contributions like this that made you truly missed around here.

As to your point, yes, of course it's possible for the quarterback to be bad and the offensive coordinator to be bad also. Yet you never hear about what a bad job a good quarterback's offensive coordinator is doing. Ever.

An offense with a good QB is only going to struggle so much in today's NFL. That doesn't mean someone else couldn't do a better job coaching that same offense. Besides, I think the Giants and Chargers are two simple examples to prove you wrong.

An offense with a good QB is only going to struggle so much in today's NFL. That doesn't mean someone else couldn't do a better job coaching that same offense. Besides, I think the Giants and Chargers are two simple examples to prove you wrong.

Giants. Great example.

http://giantskickoff.com/2011/11/15/kevin-gilbrides-conservative-predictable-play-calling-hurts-new-york-giants/

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/09/16/report-ahmad-bradshaw-unhappy-with-giants-pass-happy-play-calling/

So yes, it is possible for a good quarterback's coordinator to simultaneously get heat for running too much and passing too much because fans and players are morons. I am not sure that this proves anything. I don't know who San Diego's coordinator is but de facto it's Norv, so this is a pretty dumb example also considering that his twenty-year old offense is the foundation for what literally every team runs now.

So yes, it is possible for a good quarterback's coordinator to simultaneously get heat for running too much and passing too much because fans and players are morons. I am not sure that this proves anything. I don't know who San Diego's coordinator is but de facto it's Norv, so this is a pretty dumb example also considering that his twenty-year old offense is the foundation for what literally every team runs now.

It never happens, ever. You can't give an example.

Here's an example.

WELL THEY'RE MORONS.

It's safe to say Sanchez and Schottenheimer both suck at their jobs.

But while I expect the offense to be better under Sparano, he's not going to SAVE us. Only Sanchez can do that, and given his history, its a long shot. The offense is going to suck regardless, so hopefully it'll at least be moderately entertaining.

This goes right back to my prior point, nobody has ever said the OC is more important than the QB and never in million years did I say anything close to this stupid bullsh*t that you just completely made up, and have shown what a complete liar you are. You know what it says about someone when they have to blatantly lie about what someone else said? It says that they're wrong, they know it and are embarrassed by how completely foolish they look. Try having a clue what you're talking about for a change, and addressing the things others actually say and not what you completely fabricated that nobody ever said, instead of wasting everyone's time with this lying garbage.

So......just to be clear, to answer the O/P's inquiry, your answer to the question is,

[ ] Sparano is a savior

[ ] Sparano is a scapegoat

Please place an X in your selection.

Archived