is Holmes contract the worst in Jets history??

Blackout

You don't reward players for past performance alone, you sign them to extensions for FUTURE performance. No RB in the history of the NFL has been effective into his mid-30's, and no successful team in the NFL ever hands out extensions like these.

This is a business, its not about rewarding players because they're "good guys". Chrebet and Martin were a joy to watch.......in their primes. The version of Curtis we paid at the end of his career, and the concussion-riddled Chrebet we saw at the end of his? Not what I think of when I think of those guys. And a terrible, terrible set of business decisions.

Pennington is more forgivable only because we thought he was the franchise guy. But the amount of money we paid him was exorbitant, well above market value. What the Bills handed Ryan Fitzpatrick seems like peanuts by comparison.

Yeah no argument on the above. Just think they were "bad" contracts whereas Holmes' contract was "rediculously bad" considering he never proved his value to begin with. And he's small. And kind of an a$$hole.

Personally I think the "hurt feelings" extension given to Sanchez because we gave Peyton's agent a call is the worst contract in the history of this team. That, and the contract that ensured that while Bradway wouldn't be our GM anymore, he'd still be involved in our scouting and drafts.

Yeah no argument on the above. Just think they were "bad" contracts whereas Holmes' contract was "rediculously bad" considering he never proved his value to begin with. And he's small. And kind of an a$$hole.

While I certainly don't think we should have been paying anyone WR1 money out of a run-first offense, Holmes certainly proved he was at least worthy of strong WR2/low-end WR1 money in 2010. His stats don't look great but without him, we don't have that stretch where we won against Detroit, Cleveland and Houston in close contests. He went over 100 yards in 2 of those 3 games and caught 3 TD's. He made big plays to help us win all 3 of those games, which we needed to get into the playoffs that year.

With better QB play, Holmes would have continued to prove he's, again, at least a top-flight WR2 if not a middle-of-the-pack WR1. He still has a chance for a bounceback type season this year under Sparano.

In retrospect, giving Plaxico Burress $3 million dollars may have ruined Rex Ryan's Jets career. He came in with his well-documented psycho-douche attitude, emboldened Holmes to revert to giant doucheness and, as a result, took away any chance of Mark Sanchez ever developing into a leader on this team.

First time in awhile I totally agree with you

No doubt in my mind when Manish had all these "source" quotes, they were coming from Plax

F-him

The worst contract the Jets ever signed was probably the one with DeWayne Robertson. It was a deal that just kept on giving and giving and giving him more money. Sure some of that was because of the rookie pay, but I believe his annual value under normal conditions was about 6.6 million. It was identical to Andre Johnson, picked one slot before, after Johnson hit his performance incentives, meaning if Johnson was as good as D-Rob, Robertson would have earned more than the number 3 pick in the draft. The pick after D-Rob got 3 million a season. All Robertsons incentives were so easy to unlock, paid at early dates, and signing bonus money that made him uncuttable. Even 6 years into the deal we had to carry a 2.8 million dead cap charge on him in order to trade him. Unlike Chad there was no way to get him to take a paycut because they knew he was 100% safe. Part of the reason I think Jets frontload deals so much now is so they never have a D-Rob situation on their hands again.

Excellent point. That, in the long run was the worst, but there were a lot of "worst" contracts on the Jets in that era. They have the Chad one as mentioned, the Curtis and Wayne deals as well as the Fabini extension. But DRob & Chad's were the worst.

In recent time it's Sanchez' extension as Ape noted. They should've let that play out.

In retrospect, giving Plaxico Burress $3 million dollars may have ruined Rex Ryan's Jets career. He came in with his well-documented psycho-douche attitude, emboldened Holmes to revert to giant doucheness and, as a result, took away any chance of Mark Sanchez ever developing into a leader on this team.

Oh yeah, Sanchez was bound for glory before Plax got here.

3. Franchise QB with highest completion % in league history. Coming off huge season at the tme of his contract. QB 64mil > #2 WR 50mil

FRANCHISE?!?!?! FRANCHISE?!?!?! I'm beginning to wonder if you people know what that means anymore. Franchise means they are worth THE franchise. The KEY. Guys that would be worth the Ricky WIlliams trade. Elway, Marino, Manning. Not every sh*tty ass first round QB.

Also, how many extra games do we win because our RB is going to get into the HOF? When you underpay a WR early in his career it's called a bargain and you don't make it up to him later. If you do, you do it by giving him a meaningless front office job or paying him for personal appearances after he retires.

For all those who say Vernon Gholston's contract gotta remeber he was drafted in the first round and the contract given to him was a rookie contract.

Santonio was signed as a free agent. He was a problem child in the past and yet the JETS gave him so much money with no way to get out of it if Santonio chose to be the Santonio of old.

I agree with you about the rookie dynamic and the structured contract. However, if you are evaluating strictly base on the ratio of money paid vs. on field production, it's tough to argue against Gholston.

Tannenbaum's extension. Not close.

Why so much hate for Tannenbaum?

For the most part, he's simply an extension of the head coach. Mangini wanted high character, high work ethic players, and that' exactly what Tannenbaum gave him. Rex wants ground and pound and corners, and that's exactly what Tannenbaum gave him.

This guy can act up all he wants for now. But when this contract comes to an end, teams will be weighing whether or not his good outweighs the bad things he does to a locker room. I think a lot of us are wondering the same thing right now. He was a choir boy until he got paid! It wouldn't surprise me if Tone finds himself in the same situation as T.O.

This guy can act up all he wants for now. But when this contract comes to an end, teams will be weighing whether or not his good outweighs the bad things he does to a locker room. I think a lot of us are wondering the same thing right now. He was a choir boy until he got paid! It wouldn't surprise me if Tone finds himself in the same situation as T.O.

Santonio will never be as good or bad as T.O. His attitude could cost him a couple bucks, though. That's a lesson he might learn the hard way.

Excellent point. That, in the long run was the worst, but there were a lot of "worst" contracts on the Jets in that era. They have the Chad one as mentioned, the Curtis and Wayne deals as well as the Fabini extension. But DRob & Chad's were the worst.

In recent time it's Sanchez' extension as Ape noted. They should've let that play out.

Chads wasnt as bad only because they had some leeway to get him to accept paycuts. Look at it this way Chad was signed the same year as Robertson. By 2006 Chad had no choice but to accept a paycut with an opportunity to earn his salary back via incentives. The Jets under no circumstance could do anything with the D-Rob contract until 2008. Where Chad was the worst was the fact that the team overpaid so much for him rather than letting him prove anything on the field. He was better than Ryan Fitzpatrick but it was the same type of situation. Owner/GM afraid of what would potentially happen if you didnt sign him and then get taken to the shed.

I didnt think Chrebets deal was too bad. Justin McCareins deal was far worse. Curtis' 2002 extension was kind of bizarre. The Jets had no need to touch his deal until 2003, but they jumped the gun way early on that. Thats the contract that caused far more headaches than the earlier one he signed.

Santonio will never be as good or bad as T.O. His attitude could cost him a couple bucks, though. That's a lesson he might learn the hard way.

I hope he does learn his lesson because he just doesn't get it. Some people have to learn the hard way.

You're right, he will never be as good as T.O. but the jury is still out as to whether he'll be as bad.

We'll see about that when he doesn't get the ball as much as he wants it this season.

I don't think we've seen the worst of Holmes yet. The guy can't help himself.

Archived