Concerned about Greene

Section 333

Anyone with me on this? I just do not like the way he runs. Doesn't seem to follow blocks well, doesn't seem to hit the holes hard, doesn't seem to have a burst of any kind. I like him on the team, and in the past has been a solid complimentary back, but as a primary ball carrier I am worried.

I was very happy with the play of the line on Sunday. Although being there I missed a lot, and have yet to watch the game on tv. (which I will do tonight)

Is it just me or do we have the worst RB trio in the league? Greene, Powell, and Mcknight scare nobody. Obvoiusly if we play with a lead more often than not a big back like Greene will be ok. But I don't see that happening and am concerned.

ps. please refrain from responding with stating Tebow is a RB. That was for you Lil Bit Special.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I'll admit, he's hard to watch and far from exciting...he's more than adequate as a starter and really is the least of my concerns. I'd like to see more Powell because I think he's got a ton of potential and seems to have more wiggle and versatility than Greene but I'm not overly concerned about RB.

My biggest gripe with Greene is he acts like he's got the toughest job in the world. Every time he gets tackled it takes him 20 minutes to get off the ground and back to the huddle.

Last year Greene got better as the year progressed. He rarely rushes for lost yardage. He doesn't have breakaway speed but he's adequate. Powell showed me something that I hadn't seen from him all of last year. Anyway, among the three primary ball carriers it seems the Jets are fine.

Bart Scott, on the other hand, looks to be done.

Anyone with me on this? I just do not like the way he runs. Doesn't seem to follow blocks well, doesn't seem to hit the holes hard, doesn't seem to have a burst of any kind. I like him on the team, and in the past has been a solid complimentary back, but as a primary ball carrier I am worried.

I was very happy with the play of the line on Sunday. Although being there I missed a lot, and have yet to watch the game on tv. (which I will do tonight)

Is it just me or do we have the worst RB trio in the league? Greene, Powell, and Mcknight scare nobody. Obvoiusly if we play with a lead more often than not a big back like Greene will be ok. But I don't see that happening and am concerned.

ps. please refrain from responding with stating Tebow is a RB. That was for you Lil Bit Special.

It's not just you, but it should be. Just under 100 yards. He can't carry the load? 27 carries. Sure that's a lot of carries for the yards, but we had the lead and they were stacking the box. He seemed stronger as the game wore on. Sure he might get worn out with all those carries, but if he does we will be signing somebody new next season anyway.

My biggest gripe with Greene is he acts like he's got the toughest job in the world. Every time he gets tackled it takes him 20 minutes to get off the ground and back to the huddle.

So did Jim Brown. How does this hurt you or the team?

While I'll admit, he's hard to watch and far from exciting...he's more than adequate as a starter and really is the least of my concerns. I'd like to see more Powell because I think he's got a ton of potential and seems to have more wiggle and versatility than Greene but I'm not overly concerned about RB.

i can respect your opinion, but I say he is not adequate. He is a guy who is a good 4th Quarter with the lead back. As we all know Sanchez is extremely effective when he uses play action. Play action wont be as effective when Greene cant hit a hole, and runs up the middle for a gain of 2 yards, 27 times a game.

Greene doesn't take an inch more than his OL gives him. I'd like to see him getting 50% or less of the team's total rushing attempts. Like JiF, I want to see more of Powell in particular.

It's possible that it's in their mindset to run Greene into the ground before letting him go at the end of the year, though.

Jim Brown used to do the same thing-get up slowly after every tackle, trying to lull the defense into thinking that he was dinged.

Doubt that is what Greene is doing here

Greene doesn't take an inch more than his OL gives him. I'd like to see him getting 50% or less of the team's total rushing attempts. Like JiF, I want to see more of Powell in particular.

It's possible that it's in their mindset to run Greene into the ground before letting him go at the end of the year, though.

Well put, kinda my point. I just get bashed a bit more because I hate Tebow. Good to see somebody who wont get bashed share my opinion.

Well put, kinda my point. I just get bashed a bit more because I hate Tebow. Good to see somebody who wont get bashed share my opinion.

Unfortunately for you, I think for Greene to get less carries, Timmy will have to get more. :)

So did Jim Brown. How does this hurt you or the team?

It doesnt hurt me. lol. Its just annoying. I feel like every time he gets up he's like "ah sh*t man, I got go do this again. Life just aint fair". Meanwhile, he's playing a game for a living.

Just annoys me...thats all.

i can respect your opinion, but I say he is not adequate. He is a guy who is a good 4th Quarter with the lead back. As we all know Sanchez is extremely effective when he uses play action. Play action wont be as effective when Greene cant hit a hole, and runs up the middle for a gain of 2 yards, 27 times a game.

The team average on the day rushing the ball was 3.3 ypc. That said, maybe there wasnt a whole lot of room being provided by the OL on Sunday. Greene was slightly over the average for the team 3.5, down from his career average at 4.2. Still, he ran for 94 yards and a TD which was the 8th best day for a RB in the entire league. Pretty adequate if you ask me.

U may be right. Then lets line him up in the backfield. Im not against Tebow I just do not want Sanchez pulled for any reason other than if his arm or leg fell off.

Tebow took apart the Steelers in the playoffs. He's going to be a factor in this week's game - good or bad. I imagine the Jets have a lot left in their bag of magic Tebow tricks, and I also imagine the Steelers are preparing to completely shut him down.

I would think that Josh Baker's H-back role would be something of a natural fit for him. It's a hole on the roster he could fill. But we're gonna continue to see a lot of the Saviorcat.

It doesnt hurt me. lol. Its just annoying. I feel like every time he gets up he's like "ah sh*t man, I got go do this again. Life just aint fair". Meanwhile, he's playing a game for a living.

Just annoys me...thats all.

The team average on the day rushing the ball was 3.3 ypc. That said, maybe there wasnt a whole lot of room being provided by the OL on Sunday. Greene was slightly over the average for the team 3.5, down from his career average at 4.2. Still, he ran for 94 yards and a TD which was the 8th best day for a RB in the entire league. Pretty adequate if you ask me.

You can give me the numbers all you want. I know what they were. I care not how his fantasy day was. I saw a back with no burst, and no field vision. He could run for 200 yards and 2 td's, it does not matter what his numbers were. What matters is how he accumulated them.

The o-line did a great job pass blocking Sunday. Run blocking still leaves a lot to be desired. They seem to get decent push, but too many times LBers and safeties are flying in unblocked and stuffing the play at the LOS. I don't know if they have changed their blocking schemes or what, but with a line that has played together for so long (except Howard, and he certainly is not the problem), it is odd. And hopefully correctable. Now it could be the Bills were playing a lot of 8 men in the box and were selling out for the run. Which could be a reason the passing game clicked so well with everyone getting open. I have not studied the replay of the game yet for that. But understand, the Jets offense is not going to throw for almost 300 yards and gain 200 yards on the ground in the same game. They are not that good. But the defense has to give you something, and hopefully we now have an OC who recognizes what it is and takes advantage, even if, GOD fobid, he has to change up during the game.

I am not worried about Green. He is not explosive to the line. But if they can correct a lot of the unblocked tacklers coming in so easily, he is a load if he can get up a head of steam. Like he did as a rookie when that o-line was on their game. And I would like to see Powell and McKnight more as change ups. I think they both can be dangerous at times.

You can give me the numbers all you want. I know what they were

My bad, I assumed you didnt when you said "2 yards, 27 times a game" because that would equal 54 yards which is 40 less than his actual numbers.

I care not how his fantasy day was.

What do you care about?

I saw a back with no burst, and no field vision.

I saw the same guy we've seen for the last 4 years.

He could run for 200 yards and 2 td's, it does not matter what his numbers were. What matters is how he accumulated them.

I'm trying to figure out how this makes any sense and I'm failing miserably.

Tebow took apart the Steelers in the playoffs. He's going to be a factor in this week's game - good or bad. I imagine the Jets have a lot left in their bag of magic Tebow tricks, and I also imagine the Steelers are preparing to completely shut him down.

I would think that Josh Baker's H-back role would be something of a natural fit for him. It's a hole on the roster he could fill. But we're gonna continue to see a lot of the Saviorcat.

If Tebow is gonna come in for the WC I will have to live with it. What really made me sick was seeing Sanchez lined up at WR. But I'd prefer Sanchez under center, and Tebow lined up at H-Back, Full Back, TE, or Even in slot.

The o-line did a great job pass blocking Sunday. Run blocking still leaves a lot to be desired. They seem to get decent push, but too many times LBers and safeties are flying in unblocked and stuffing the play at the LOS. I don't know if they have changed their blocking schemes or what, but with a line that has played together for so long (except Howard, and he certainly is not the problem), it is odd. And hopefully correctable. Now it could be the Bills were playing a lot of 8 men in the box and were selling out for the run. Which could be a reason the passing game clicked so well with everyone getting open. I have not studied the replay of the game yet for that. But understand, the Jets offense is not going to throw for almost 300 yards and gain 200 yards on the ground in the same game. They are not that good. But the defense has to give you something, and hopefully we now have an OC who recognizes what it is and takes advantage, even if, GOD fobid, he has to change up during the game.

I am not worried about Green. He is not explosive to the line. But if they can correct a lot of the unblocked tacklers coming in so easily, he is a load if he can get up a head of steam. Like he did as a rookie when that o-line was on their game. And I would like to see Powell and McKnight more as change ups. I think they both can be dangerous at times.

All fair points, But when Greene was a rookie, the O-Line was much better than it is now.

My bad, I assumed you didnt when you said "2 yards, 27 times a game" because that would equal 54 yards which is 40 less than his actual numbers.

What do you care about?

YES YOU ARE

I think last week, the O-lines pass protection was better then the run blocking. Not to say it was bad, but it seems obvious that in order for Greene to avg more than 3.5, they would have to dominate. Id take 90+ yds every week even if he takes 25+ carries to get it...MINUS THE FUMBLES!

What do you care about?

The SAME guy we have seen for 4 years is simply not that good. What are you arguing with me about???? I have no right to be concerned about Greene. When did Greene become Faulk?? Is he your Brother?? why defend him so much?? He is a below average back at best!!!!!! It seems you just love to argue!!!!!!

You can give me the numbers all you want. I know what they were. I care not how his fantasy day was. I saw a back with no burst, and no field vision. He could run for 200 yards and 2 td's, it does not matter what his numbers were. What matters is how he accumulated them.

No. What matters are the numbers. You don't get points or first downs for style. The guy is a quality NFL back. He is not irreplaceable, but he can do the job and he is doing the job.

The SAME guy we have seen for 4 years is simply not that good. What are you arguing with me about???? I have no right to be concerned about Greene. When did Greene become Faulk?? Is he your Brother?? why defend him so much?? He is a below average back at best!!!!!! It seems you just love to argue!!!!!!

Wait, you started a thread saying that we have the worst RB situation in the league (laughable) and you expected everyone to agree with you? My bad, didnt realize that we couldnt disagree around here. lmfao

He's an average back. He's not exciting. He's not a game breaker. But he's more than adequate as a starting RB and IMO, he's not a player the Jets need to be concerned with. Sorry I disagree with your totally reasonable assessment that the Jets have the worst RB situation in the league.

Wait, you started a thread saying that we have the worst RB situation in the league (laughable) and you expected everyone to agree with you? My bad, didnt realize that we couldnt disagree around here. lmfao

He's an average back. He's not exciting. He's not a game breaker. But he's more than adequate as a starting RB and IMO, he's not a player the Jets need to be concerned with. Sorry I disagree with your totally reasonable assessment that the Jets have the worst RB situation in the league.

My original post said I was concerned. I said he doesnt hit holes, I said he has no burst. You said He's an average back. He's not exciting. He's not a game breaker. With what you just said it seems like you actually agree with me. Now I ask you what team that will be in contention for a playoff spot has a worse RB situation?

YES YOU ARE

He's not the only one.

Well, they were supposed to be going to a more man blocking scheme. That would leave more LBs and safeties free to fly in rather than zone blocking a hole. If the D is getting sucked up then they should be able to pass and hopefully that is what happened. If so we are in good shape, as long as we can take advantage of what they give us.

Archived