http://www.footballo...om/stats/rb2012

Where Greene ranks among RB's with 16+ carries through 2 weeks:

VOA: -35.2 % (33rd)

YAR: -40 (34th)

Powell:

VOA: 2.7 % -- would place him 16th

YAR: 6 -- would place him 20th

NOTES:

1) Numbers have not yet been adjusted for opponent. Hence why DVOA and DYAR are not provided.

2) Among ball-carriers with 4-15 carries, Powell ranks 12th in VOA and 11th in YAR.

3) Neither Greene nor Powell have caught the minimum passes (4) to be analyzed in the receiving category.

I'm all for seeing what the kid has, but you guys do know that his long carry is 10 yards, he has never gotten more than 33 yards in a game and has never averaged more than 3.67 ypc for a game. We should give him some opportunity to show what he can do, but he has yet to even have an adequate performance in an NFL game.

Its probably hard to have an adequate performance when you've never carried the ball more than 9 times in a single game, which occurred last week vs. one of the best run defenses in the league.

Without even looking at the numbers the offense just looked better with Powell in the game.

This.

This is convenient. Greene gets a more suitable workload and Powell gets to break in easily while earning a larger workload.

Lucky RB is the kind of Spot where a talented JAG can pop up for a couple of years.

Its probably hard to have an adequate performance when you've never carried the ball more than 9 times in a single game, which occurred last week vs. one of the best run defenses in the league.

Kind of my point. I'm all for giving him a chance, but getting three and a half per when you are down plenty in the second half is not too impressive. There is a reason CJ Spiller got most of those yards and though to a lesser extent, Powell was in garbage time plenty too.

I'd like to see more of McKnight. I think he can do some of the same things Leon Washington did for us.

I don't know what McKnight can provide, but it seems shocking to me that they never seem to try him like Leon. They seem like they want to use him like a #1 back and then are surprised when he can't do it. Why not try a little more Eric Metcalf styled role? Let him catch some passes, split wide on occassion. Doesn't make sense to me.

Running back by committee. That's the way the league works today. Who the "starter" is really shouldn't matter. It should be all about getting the maximum production out of the position. To me, that means having a guy back there who's capable of both running and catching the football back there to open the game.

I don't understand why this is hard. Powell and McKnight should be used more when the team is looking to move the ball and score, while Greene's role should be more protecting leads and short yardage (not that he's all that great in short yardage, either, but he's all the Jets have).

How much each back plays should change week to week based on the circumstances.

I'm all for seeing what the kid has, but you guys do know that his long carry is 10 yards, he has never gotten more than 33 yards in a game and has never averaged more than 3.67 ypc for a game. We should give him some opportunity to show what he can do, but he has yet to even have an adequate performance in an NFL game.

That's just it. We KNOW what Greene brings to the table, and its not much. Powell's ceiling is higher because we DON'T know what he's capable of yet.

Last year, DeMarco Murray was pressed into service for the Cowboys as a rookie with Felix Jones hurt. Then he went off. Maybe Powell can be that for us? It's enticing, you must admit.

Kind of my point. I'm all for giving him a chance, but getting three and a half per when you are down plenty in the second half is not too impressive. There is a reason CJ Spiller got most of those yards and though to a lesser extent, Powell was in garbage time plenty too.

Couldnt be further from the truth, in fact, he's never had any garbage time carries. Of Powells 9 carries last week, 7 of them were in the first half, 1 of them was in the 2nd down 10 and the other was in the 4th down 10.

Vs. Buffalo, all 3 carries came in the first half.

I don't know what McKnight can provide, but it seems shocking to me that they never seem to try him like Leon. They seem like they want to use him like a #1 back and then are surprised when he can't do it. Why not try a little more Eric Metcalf styled role? Let him catch some passes, split wide on occassion. Doesn't make sense to me.

Agreed, but I'm always sitting on the edge of my seat just nervous he's going to fumble...

That's just it. We KNOW what Greene brings to the table, and its not much. Powell's ceiling is higher because we DON'T know what he's capable of yet.

Last year, DeMarco Murray was pressed into service for the Cowboys after doing very little in his career. Then he went off. Maybe Powell can be that for us? It's enticing, you must admit.

What's just it? I want to see him more. I am just trying to temper enthusiasm for a kid who has accomplished close to nothing. You can count the decent carries he has had in the NFL on one hand. We can argue about him more in a few weeks after we've seen more and he is either "THE GREATEST PLAYER THAT EVER LIVED!" or "SUCKS WE SHOULD HAVE KEPT DANNY WOODHEAD!"

Couldnt be further from the truth, in fact, he's never had any garbage time carries. Of Powells 9 carries last week, 7 of them were in the first half, 1 of them was in the 2nd down 10 and the other was in the 4th down 10.

Vs. Buffalo, all 3 carries came in the first half.

Agreed, but I'm always sitting on the edge of my seat just nervous he's going to fumble...

He only had 9 carries, so it doesn't matter, but 4th and 10 is basically garbage time. Going against a pass D is what makes it easy. Fair enough. No sense arguing until he's done something to argue about.

What's just it? I want to see him more. I am just trying to temper enthusiasm for a kid who has accomplished close to nothing. You can count the decent carries he has had in the NFL on one hand. We can argue about him more in a few weeks after we've seen more and he is either "THE GREATEST PLAYER THAT EVER LIVED!" or "SUCKS WE SHOULD HAVE KEPT DANNY WOODHEAD!"

Greatest player ever. Definitely.

He only had 9 carries, so it doesn't matter, but 4th and 10 is basically garbage time. Going against a pass D is what makes it easy. Fair enough. No sense arguing until he's done something to argue about.

No....in the 4th quarter, down 10 with 14:53 remaining in the game. Definitely not garbage time.

You would think if the guy is your kick returner that getting him in the open field on offense via screens and dump offs would be a good thing.

Greatest player ever. Definitely.

This week. What about next?

You would think if the guy is your kick returner that getting him in the open field on offense via screens and dump offs would be a good thing.

Nah. Why would you want to get the ball in the hands of a guy that is one of the best kick returners in the game? It's not like he can outrun anybody or is good in space or anything like that.

The Jets should fully commit to Powell, IMO. Let Greene be a bruising clock killer at the end of the game. Powell just brings a sh*t ton more to the table if you ask me.

A sh*t ton?....agreed! Powell has moves where Greene just drops a shoulder.

1-2yrds required bring in Greene.

3-10yrds required bring in Powell.

10+yrds required...we're fecked!

Nah. Why would you want to get the ball in the hands of a guy that is one of the best kick returners in the game? It's not like he can outrun anybody or is good in space or anything like that.

Well, he did throw up that one time.

Negged this on my phone on accident sorry.

While I agree with your point about Powell, the fact is that we DO know what Greene can do. Or should I say CANT do.

Archived