Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah

jetfan718

I didn't expect Moore to blaze but 4.95 is unacceptable. The 12 reps is inconceivable.

For me, this now turns into a two man race between Mingo and Ansah depending on what type of player they're looking for, if they go edge rusher. What's disappointing is the two "high production" guys in Jones and Moore are having an extremely underwhelming off season.

Jordan is the wildcard I guess but he due to have surgery with questionable toughness and pass rushing moves. If anyone is the paper tiger it's him imo.

Werner pretty much establishing he's a solid 43DE prospect.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bad. Solidifies an early 2nd late 1st?

Which is what he always was I thought. He's not explosive, just solid. He makes a lot more sense for a team that doesnt have many needs anyway...best scenario for him is playing on a good team right away.

I really can't get over how similar the knocks on Moore are to Suggs. Off the field life might suck...bad 40...Suggs only put up 19 reps with a 33 inch vertical...Other similarities include a ton of production in college (though Suggs was more productive with 30+ sacks including 24 in a season)...youngest among the top prospects...similar size (Moore a hair taller while Suggs was a few pounds heavier).

Iunno, I still think it would be a gift if he fell to 9, though I am less sold than before. Hopefully he can improve for his Pro Day.

With those ugly numbers I'm wondering if they could grab him in the second round.

Suggs ran 4.8 and 19 is much better than 12, plus his college production trumps Moore's.

I heard that some players drop weight to run fast, then "sit" on their Combine numbers at their pro day.  It's a way to manipulate the system and get the best of both worlds.  

That was my excuse for Moore only putting up 12 reps.  He kinda tanked my lil theory with his forty time. 

Stay away.  He's a slower Nick Perry with less moves. 

Not to double post, but this little blurb from rotoworld caught my eye:

BYU DE Ziggy Ansah ran forty times of 4.62 and 4.65 at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Ansah's official time won't be announced until later Monday, but to put those numbers into perspective, they're the exact same two unofficial times posted by Wisconsin RB Montee Ball. Ansah is beginning to look locked-in as a top-ten pick.

i say trade down get a few more pics take a look at A. ogletree he will be a beast at OLB and put things in his contract to protect the the team and the cap,hell rookies dont get paid like the did a few years ago.

I might be in the minority but, he's a transformed safety playing ILB, but according to Mayo, he doesn't shed blocks very well nor take tackles head on.  

If his DWI drops him to our second pick, I'd love to grab him (obviously, as would everyone else).  But I would play him back at safety ala Kam Chancellor.  He can run with TE's (necessary in our division), and he can run all over the field.  At 6'3, 232, he would be the imposing presence we lose when Landry walks. 

I heard that some players drop weight to run fast, then "sit" on their Combine numbers at their pro day.  It's a way to manipulate the system and get the best of both worlds.  

That was my excuse for Moore only putting up 12 reps.  He kinda tanked my lil theory with his forty time. 

Stay away.  He's a slower Nick Perry with less moves. 

FWIW, I think that Willis did the opposite and dropped weight down around 235 at his pro day and ran 4.35 or so.  That's better than the 4.5 and change he ran at the combine.  Doing that is just smart business.  Show you can lift, so you can burn, that you can fit any system.  It's not a sign that something is wrong.  I assume that Willis was banking on the fast track at pro day and the poor bastard had plenty of production.

I like that Jordan can cover well in space in the passing game.  That's key in a league where tight ends are becoming key pieces in the offensive gameplans.

I think his ability to cover the TEs and even play the slot is a better tesetament to his overall athletic ability, as I'm with Hess in that I want my OLB to be a stud pass-rusher who can cover TEs, not the other way around.  I'm not saying Jordan can't, but his ability to cover TEs would be more gravy ontop of his pass-rushing ability and not the reason we select him alone.   I like him a lot, the kid has a pretty crazy story about the house-fire, but I just hope it's the whole shoulder thing is the reason why he hasn't been able to put on weight over the last year, because he's going to need to add about 20 lbs to play on our D.   

Fwiw I want my 34OLBs to rush the passer and my ILB and Safeties to cover TEs. The fact that Jordan can drop back in coverage means zilch imo.

Pretty much agreed but I will add that I can't remember a prospect like Jordan. That makes him more interesting to me than he probably should be. I wish there was a shot he fell out of the first because he's perfect as a complimentary OLB to a pass rusher. Someone like Dallas will enjoy him across from their elite pass rusher.

Pretty much agreed but I will add that I can't remember a prospect like Jordan. That makes him more interesting to me than he probably should be. I wish there was a shot he fell out of the first because he's perfect as a complimentary OLB to a pass rusher. Someone like Dallas will enjoy him across from their elite pass rusher.

Yeah and it's not to say he can't learn how to become a great pass rusher. He's an athletic freak of nature. I just think Mingo has the better burst, moves and is stronger against the run. Both having slight frames could be an issue once in the NFL though.

I actually think Mingo will fill out fine. Got over his frame a while ago when he clearly put on weight and carried it easily from 2011 to 2012.

Not as sure with Jordan. Between the two I would say he has the slighter frame.

if a guy runs a 4.5 why fill him out? Aka slow him down? 

Filling out isn't forced. It's part of the natural process of aging, and he'll be monitored and guided by professionals.

Granted those pros would be Jet hired pros so the worst in the world times ten. I doubt he gets that much bigger. 250-255 is fine as a long term weight.

Jarvis Jones isn't working out at all.  Can I say again how much I don't want him.

the reason Jones gave to NFLN is that the medical situation took a ton of time and he wanted to be prepared for the drills. That might be a line of BS but it does make sense that a player with his background would be put thru the gauntlet by the doctors, MRI'ed seven different ways from sunday. It's believable. 

When the time comes, Jones probably won't work out all that great. 

in this way Ansah and Jones are opposites.

One player is body beautiful but no production and literally has to learn how to play football. The other is a good not great athlete with questionable medicals and all the production and instincts in the world. 

If both players are on the board, I'll be honest, I take Jones. ANsah is probably a DE in Rex system and It's not the mr olympia contest, it's the NFL., 

the reason Jones gave to NFLN is that the medical situation took a ton of time and he wanted to be prepared for the drills. That might be a line of BS but it does make sense that a player with his background would be put thru the gauntlet by the doctors, MRI'ed seven different ways from sunday. It's believable. 

One player is body beautiful but no production and literally has to learn how to play football. The other is a good not great athlete with questionable medicals and all the production and instincts in the world. 

If both players are on the board, I'll be honest, I take Jones. ANsah is probably a DE in Rex system and It's not the mr olympia contest, it's the NFL., 

Jake Bequette had more sacks in one season in the SEC than Chandler Jones had his entire college career in the Big East. He had almost triple the career tackles (and more sacks their final season) than Bruce Irvin (only 8 1/2 sacks final yr) did in the ACC.

Aldon Smith had 5.5 sacks his final year at Missouri. JJ Watt had 4.5 sacks in 2009 at Wisconsin...only 7 in 2010 (his final year)....meanwhile DaQuan Bowers had 16 as a Jr....meanwhile Jeremy Beal was a tackling and sack machine at Oklahoma for 4 straight years. 

Give me the Beast!

...out of those two.

How much production do you want from a guy that wasn't even a starter his senior year until someone in front of him got hurt?? The progression the kid has made has been unbelievable; got noticed for putting in the time on special teams, worked his weigh to a backup role and then once he took over the starting role he flourished in lining up all over the field.  Not to mention dominating his peers at the Senior Bowl. The kid has the production when it matters, not to mention he's drawn absolutely nothing but rave reviews from assistant coaches and just about everyone associated with him.  He is arguably the most freakish athlete at his position, a very hard worker by all accounts and an extremely quick study.  Besides learning the nuances and terminology, not sure what more you could want from a player.  I'm beginning to think there's no way he drops to 9 at the rate he's going.

Because at his height, you cannot physically holdup through an entire season weighing that little.  He is going to need to add 20 lbs if he wants to be a 34 OLB and rumors are that he could have been there, but the shoulder injury limited his work in the weight room and ability to add good weight.   He could get away with being a little lighter than ideal due to his freakishly long arms that'll help him set the edge, but he is not gonna last 16 games weighing 245, not gonna happen.

Also as far as production for Ansah 13TFL in 9 games as a 3-4 Defensive Lineman who played NT about 1/4 of the plays ain't too shabby. 

Also, one thing you notice with Ansah that you don't with any of these other top rushers...he's excellent at getting his hands up and batting down passes. 

Yeah Ansah does a great job getting his hands up in passing lanes. He wasn't put into a position to get after the passer that often playing inside a bunch, but that experience inside will help him quite a bit with his hands long-term. Worked out well for Aldon Smith. Great closing speed. There's a lot to work with and he developed nicely last year. Will be interesting to see where he goes and how he ends up, but things tend to go well when you combine tools with high character and he seems to have both.

Archived