What would your draft look like?

khesanh

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Nassib doesn't suck they just addressed the OL.

Nassib is probably my favorite out of all the QBs coming out this year.  He's a gunslinger, and he has wheels.  As such, he makes a lot of dumb throws, and every fast-ball is a risky one.  I'd rather wait until next year to get a better all-around QB.

Yeah Nassib stands out in this QB class. I love him as a second pick, but possibly someone takes him in the first.

I rely don't know where this 2014 QB glut myth came from. What's it based on?

Draft Eliglible:

-Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville)

-Tajh Boyd (Clemson)

-David Fales (San Jose St)

-Aaron Murray (Georia)

-Logan Thomas (Virginia Tech)

-Johnny Manziel (Texas A&M)

-Keith Price (Washington)

Free Agents (subject to change):

-Jay Cutler

-Trent Edwards

-Josh Freeman

-Matt Hasselbeck

-Matt Ryan

-Mike Vick

-Tony Romo

-Chad Henne

-Charlie Whithurst

-Matt Flynn

-Mark Sanchez?

So, Cutler and maybe Bridgewater if he declares?

Teddy Bridgewater (6'3, 218) is one ugly fugler.  Think Calvin Pace if he got into a motorcycle accident with no helmet...plus braces.  He will never be a locker room distraction because of a GQ spread, and he's unlikely to parade around Broadway with barely legal super models. That being the case, it's a good thing he can play football.  As a Sophmore he took his Louisville Cardinals to an 11-2 record, beating Florida 33 to 23 in the Sugar Bowl. Ask JiF about it.  On his way there he threw 27 tds to 8 ints, with a 68.5% comp pct. What I like about Teddy is the way he effortlessly drops the ball over coverage to hit his man in stride.  This is the result of his bionic arm.  I've never seen a ball leave someone's hand and reach the end zone as quickly as Bridgewater's fast balls. He doesn't even wind-up, he just flicks his wrist and the ball shoots out on a perfect trajectory.  Teddy could throw the ball 70 yards from a wheel-chair.  He could hit a TE in the end zone from section 333.  He makes good decisions, he can make plays with his feet, and his arm strength allows him to test small windows.  Because of this, he can do things that other QBs can't. Like throw into double-coverage, throw late across the middle, or throw from his back foot...or, throw into double coverage across the middle while on the run, from his back foot. In short, he's a playmaker.      

He's going to make a lot of money playing on Sundays. 

Tajh Boyd (6'1, 225), finished his Junior year with 36 tds and 13 int, with a 67% comp pct.  He's a run-oriented QB and tends to throw with one speed; the zippy one.  He has a compact, almost side-arm release which combined with his height might not work at the next level, but he tends to roll out of the pocket and make accurate throws from the lanes he creates with his feet.  When I say accurate, I mean the kid can hit a freckle on a ring-finger.  Always looking for the big-play, or an escape route, he's prone to taking sacks...this is a function of his confidence, and his confidence comes from his incredible arm.  He's got the goods, and he knows it.   

Aaron Murray (6'1, 210) lacks size, and unlike Boyd cannot compensate with his feet.  In fact, in 9 out of 13 games he ran for negative yards.  But he's a 65% passer, and put up 36 tds to 10 int as a Junior in the toughest conference of college ball.  What makes him fun to watch is the fact that he can play QB.  He's a no-gimmick guy, and since he can't beat you with his feet he's learned to just play QB.  I like that about him.  He actually has an arsenal of different throws, so he's not a one-trick pony. He can throw on the run, he can throw his man open, he can throw a fastball to the deep out, or use touch with a dump off.  His deep ball jumps out of his hand, and my favorite: he's not afraid to throw out-of-bounds and keep the drive alive.   

David Fales (6'3, 220) plays in a crap division for San Jose State, but is smart with the football.  33 tds to 9 int as a Junior and he finished his first year out of JUCO with a 72.5% comp pct.  He takes his time with the ball, and suffers from a horrible WR corp, but he ultimately puts the ball on the spot.  More of a careful arm than a big arm, but the kid can spin it.  

I like the upside of Logan Thomas, though he's more of a pistol-QB (6'6, 260) he likes to run, and when he does he likes to lower his shoulder.  But he has a big arm, and can be as good as Kapearnick with some development.  His stats suck-butt, but he is electric to watch, and you can tell he likes to play football.  sh*t, on 8 out of 10 read-option plays he keeps the ball just to stick it to the defense, but with size like that you can afford to.  He's majoring in "Women Studies" so I'd imagine he's put all of his chips on playing football for the rest of his life.  The thing is, despite his horrible, horrible stats (51.3% passer with 18 tds to 16 int as a Junior) he leaves a lot to the imagination as to how good he could be with the right coaching.  

Cutler can bite me.  He still hasn't thanked me for the Hello Kitty tissue pack I sent him for his delicate tear glands. 

Cutler is a soul sucking leech that prays on unwitting teams and players. He's awful.

So is the 2014 QB class sans Bridgewater, who probably shouldn't come out anyway. That would be the point Im making. The 2014 draft class being super loaded with franchise QBs is one of the more parroted myths on JN lately.

So is the 2014 QB class sans Bridgewater, who probably shouldn't come out anyway. That would be the point Im making. The 2014 draft class being super loaded with franchise QBs is one of the more parroted myths on JN lately.

Okay, first off, nothing is going to touch the 2012 class, it looks to give the 2004 class (Eli, P Rivers, and Big Ben) a run for it's money as best QB class ever.  But compared to this year, 2014 is going to be a hoot.  Not only are we going to see up to four QBs drafted in the first round (Boyd, Murray, Fales, and Bridgewater if he declares), but the 3 or 4 of them have what it takes to really play the position.

More importantly, the four of them are better than what we currently have and the free agents we're looking at.

Okay, first off, nothing is going to touch the 2012 class, it looks to give the 2004 class (Eli, P Rivers, and Big Ben) a run for it's money as best QB class ever.  But compared to this year, 2014 is going to be a hoot.  Not only are we going to see up to four QBs drafted in the first round (Boyd, Murray, Fales, and Bridgewater if he declares), but the 3 or 4 of them have what it takes to really play the position.

More importantly, the four of them are better than what we currently have and the free agents we're looking at.

Two are midgets, one is a no name from a mid-tier school (maybe) that will probably lose some steam come actual draft day along with the other two, and the one hope will have to declare early to even be available (and early entry QBs have been such gold mine, amirite?). 

Two are midgets, one is a no name from a mid-tier school (maybe) that will probably lose some steam come actual draft day along with the other two, and the one hope will have to declare early to even be available (and early entry QBs have been such gold mine, amirite?). 

Midgets are the future, bro. 

Trade Revis for 1st and 2nd

Trade 4th rounder for Chris Ivory

Resign Keller

Resign Slauson

Resign Braylon Edwards

Resign Bell

Sign Garrard

1) Jarvis Jones  OLB
1)Damontre Moore OLB
2)Keenan Allen  WR
2)Larry Warford OG
3)David Amerson CB
5)T J McDonald   S/Zac Dysert QB
6) Ray Ray Armstrong S
7) Ricky Wagner   OT

1983 says, "BLOW ME!"

Resign Keller

Resign Slauson

Resign Braylon Edwards

Resign Bell

Sign Garrard

1) Jarvis Jones OLB

1)Damontre Moore OLB

2)Keenan Allen WR

2)Larry Warford OG

3)David Amerson CB

5)T J McDonald S/Zac Dysert QB

6) Ray Ray Armstrong S

7) Ricky Wagner OT

I could see both OLBs busting in a huge way.

Resign Keller

Resign Slauson

Resign Braylon Edwards

Resign Bell

Sign Garrard

1) Jarvis Jones OLB

1)Damontre Moore OLB

2)Keenan Allen WR

2)Larry Warford OG

3)David Amerson CB

5)T J McDonald S/Zac Dysert QB

6) Ray Ray Armstrong S

7) Ricky Wagner OT

That would be interesting.

To turn it a bit just imagining same scenerio but with

1. Warmack

1. Cooper

2. Allen

2. Ertz

And resign Howard instead of Slauson and Devito instead of Edwards.

1. Warmack

1. Cooper

2. Allen

2. Ertz

Super unit type sh*t?  Me likey.

A decent QB might have some success with a revamped offense like that.

1. Warmack

1. Cooper

2. Allen

2. Ertz

Seattle did something similar two years ago, drafting James Carpenter and John Moffitt back to back.

Seattle did something similar two years ago, drafting James Carpenter and John Moffitt back to back.

Not really. Spending a 1st and a 3rd on OL is a little different than using 2 1st round picks on OL.

You know who did something similar? The Jets in 06.

I could see both OLBs busting in a huge way.

I could actually see all the pass rushers in this draft Busting in a big way.  I could also see all of them being stars in a big way.  IMO Mingo, Jordan, and Ansar have a much higher chance of being total busts.  Never producing. 

The reason I went with back to back LB’ers is because the Jets run  a base 3-4.  The core of a 3-4 are LB’ers.  The Jets have none.

IMO Jones will produce more his rookie year then any of them, and will be a player for some time in the NFL.  The problem with him is obivious.  How long will his career last?  5 years? 10 Years?  I’d just rather have a player I feel pretty sure will be a good player for at least 5 years then a player that may never produce at all.

Moore is a different case.  His combine was awful.  I’m not so concerned about his speed, as I am about his strength.  His 12 reps indicates he is lazy, and doesn’t want to work out.  Yet he produced at a very high level in NCAA.  Before the combine a lot of mocks had him going #2 based on his play.  He’ll produce this year, the real question is his attitude.  If they can get him in the weight room, his speed and strength will improve, and he’ll be a player in the NFL for a long time.  If not, he’ll just be a “decent” player.

I considered going Hess’ route, and loading up on OL in a good OL draft, but the Jets desperately need OLB’s

I could actually see all the pass rushers in this draft Busting in a big way.  I could also see all of them being stars in a big way.  IMO Mingo, Jordan, and Ansar have a much higher chance of being total busts.  Never producing. 

The reason I went with back to back LB’ers is because the Jets run  a base 3-4.  The core of a 3-4 are LB’ers.  The Jets have none.

IMO Jones will produce more his rookie year then any of them, and will be a player for some time in the NFL.  The problem with him is obivious.  How long will his career last?  5 years? 10 Years?  I’d just rather have a player I feel pretty sure will be a good player for at least 5 years then a player that may never produce at all.

Moore is a different case.  His combine was awful.  I’m not so concerned about his speed, as I am about his strength.  His 12 reps indicates he is lazy, and doesn’t want to work out.  Yet he produced at a very high level in NCAA.  Before the combine a lot of mocks had him going #2 based on his play.  He’ll produce this year, the real question is his attitude.  If they can get him in the weight room, his speed and strength will improve, and he’ll be a player in the NFL for a long time.  If not, he’ll just be a “decent” player.

I considered going Hess’ route, and loading up on OL in a good OL draft, but the Jets desperately need OLB’s

I have concerns about players who cant lift as much as me.  lol

In regards to your LB'er theory...its not bad, I like the logic.  The most glaring needs on the team was fast LB'ers IMO outside of the obvious QB situation.  Everyone points to WR, which is legit, but who knows how bad it really is with Sanchez throwing them the ball.  If we went 2 LB'ers, I'd like Ogletree to be the 2nd...but I'm not sure of his value after his arrest.  I assume it wont have much impact because he's that good.

In that scenario...I'd love Mingo and Ogletree..

Where is Ogletree going to play? Inside? Outside? Safety?

I would play him outside.  Safety would be an interesting move, but it's a good year for safeties, we can draft a decent one and use Ogletree's talent closer to the line. 

Where is Ogletree going to play? Inside? Outside? Safety?

The answer might be all of the above if he's smart.

Exactly.  His versatility is perfect for Rex's D but Id' use him primarily as LB'er.  The beauty is, those sets where Rex was essentially using Landry as an extra LB'er, would be perfect for Ogletree.  He could do something like say....Mingo, Harris, Davis, Ogletree, McIntyre and have mad flexibility with his fronts.

Exactly. His versatility is perfect for Rex's D but Id' use him primarily as LB'er. The beauty is, those sets where Rex was essentially using Landry as an extra LB'er, would be perfect for Ogletree. He could do something like say....Mingo, Harris, Davis, Ogletree, McIntyre and have mad flexibility with his fronts.

You think Idzik is going to add another problem child to this roster?

You think Idzik is going to add another problem child to this roster?

Is he a problem child?  Cant remember what he did before the DUI...was it like petty theft or something like that?  I'm not sure he's a problem child more than just a young kid who made a bad decision.  

I have no clue if Idzik would draft him...was just talking about if we did take 2 LB'ers, I'd like him 2nd because of his versatility. 

The Jets supposedly have met with Gerald Hodges. I don't usually like Penn State, but Bowman and Hali have shut me up a little. They've done fine in 3-4s despite not being prototypical. 

Penn State historically has been a great place to find linebackers.

Archived