Jets Entering three-day Negotiating Window

flgreen

With limited budget, NY Jets and GM John Idzik have plenty of holes to plug entering three-day negotiating window

The Jets are only about $8 million under the projected 2013 salary cap of $123 million. So, don’t expect Idzik to land any high-priced, coveted free agents.
Comments (4)
By Manish Mehta / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Friday, March 8, 2013, 1:27 AM.

Mark Sanchez points out that Jets will be in makeover mode but could use another QB to provide competition at position.

Rex Ryan has talked about his desire to adopt a more aggressive mind-set in all matters in 2013, but the reality is that the cap-strapped Jets will be nothing more than bargain hunters when free agency begins Tuesday.

New GM John Idzik may have to replace as many as seven key starters, including Pro Bowl safety LaRon Landry and veteran defensive line leader Mike DeVito. The Jets are only about $8 million under the projected 2013 salary cap of $123 million. So, don’t expect Idzik to land any high-priced, coveted free agents.

When the new three-day negotiating window begins Saturday at midnight, Idzik will focus on affordable options to fill some of the glaring holes.

Idzik is poised to acquire some stop-gaps for the Jets, coming off a 6-10 season, with second- and third-tier free agents. He will look to replenish the roster depth that was lacking last season during next month’s draft.

Although Idzik would never make a public declaration, make no mistake: The Jets are hitting the reset button.

“We will certainly evaluate our own (players) in comparison with what might be out there in free agency,” Idzik said at the Scouting Combine a few weeks ago.

Idzik has expressed his desire to retain Landry, who was a steadying force in the secondary during his first season with the team, but the price tag simply may be too high. Landry will likely command a $6 million annual salary that the Jets can’t afford right now. Gang Green has reportedly inquired about Charles Woodson, who was cut by the Packers, but adding a 36-year-old safety may not be a good fit for a rebuilding team.

DeVito, who agreed to a pay cut before the 2012 season, is also expected to draw interest from teams that may be willing to pay him more than he has received from the only team he has played for.

The Jets will take a cost-friendly approach to create competition for quarterback Mark Sanchez. Veteran David Garrard, who had a thorough workout at the Jets facility last week, and free agent Brady Quinn are on the radar.

The rest of the to-do list includes finding an outside linebacker to replace Calvin Pace and a running back complement to Bilal Powell in Marty Mornhinweg’s West Coast offense. Shonn Greene, coming off back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons, appears to be headed elsewhere.

Gang Green will look for at least one interior lineman in free agency to replace guards Brandon Moore and Matt Slauson. Moore’s price tag is expected to be too high for the Jets. Slauson could return depending on how the market develops for him. The Jets’ decision to have a left-guard rotation was an indication that Vlad Ducasse, a second-round disappointment over the past few years, may be in the team’s plans in 2013.

Idzik has already made it clear he would like to retain restricted free agent right tackle Austin Howard.

The Jets have discussed giving a second-round restricted free agent tender to tight end Jeff Cumberland. Starter Dustin Keller, who missed eight games due to injury last season after playing in every game in his first four years, could walk via free agency.

LOW BLOW: The Daily News website reported Thursday that the NFL’s $10,000 fine on Matt Slauson for his low hit on Texans linebacker Brian Cushing in October was upheld after appeal. Cushing suffered a season-ending ACL injury on the play.

Slauson, who wasn't penalized for the hit, was fined by the league for an illegal “peel back” block. The NFL will discuss safeguards against low hits on defensive players at the league’s annual meetings in a couple weeks

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/green-fix-jets-problems-article-1.1282869#ixzz2MxRQBDEA

They need the injury prone Landry who was a steadying force (for the one season he was with the team) but shouldn't inquire about Woodson because he is 36?  I'd like to go younger too, but old = cheap and if you want steadying he seems to do the job.  Seems like a good match with a banger which is easier to pick up - or use Allen. Woodson will probably cost too much also, so this is all moot.

The 3 day window is the amount of time that the Jets have to renegotiate with any of their own FA's.

If it's me, target 1 is Devito.  Two is Slauson and/or Moore - needs to be cheap.  I don't think the window helps with Bell or Landry.  Landry will want to test the market and I wouldn't offer him enough to keep him from doing it.  Same with Keller. Bell was running around free last offseason and nobody bit, so you could probably wait with him if you'd like. I suppose they could be locking up Howard, or they will have to tender him.

If it's me, target 1 is Devito.  Two is Slauson and/or Moore - needs to be cheap.  I don't think the window helps with Bell or Landry.  Landry will want to test the market and I wouldn't offer him enough to keep him from doing it.  Same with Keller. Bell was running around free last offseason and nobody bit, so you could probably wait with him if you'd like. I suppose they could be locking up Howard, or they will have to tender him.

They will tender Howard a 2nd.  I'd sign Bell now to another one year deal.  He played pretty well last year, and the Jets, even if they draft another S will need a vet back there.  Why risk losing him?

The 3 day window is the amount of time that the Jets have to renegotiate with any of their own FA's.

technically they've had all offseason to renegotiate with their own FA. The 3 day "legal tampering" window is about other teams pending FA. 

haha rebuilding don't work every1 knos that

Lol Manish Mehta supports T0m's one and only option. T0m rejoices as if Mehta's opinion on what the GM said is in anyway relevant. #DelusionalJetsfanverisonofVictory

You're building quite a lineup THO. Mehta... Shane as player/manager...unbanurbanmike....sh*t's getting real.

They will tender Howard a 2nd.  I'd sign Bell now to another one year deal.  He played pretty well last year, and the Jets, even if they draft another S will need a vet back there.  Why risk losing him?

Agree on Bell.  I just think he is less likely to go elsewhere than Devito, Landry, Howard or the 2 guards.  I wonder if they will make a short money offer to Pace.  I wonder what value Pace has on the market. I think we blasted him too hard.  He could play, he's just not worth that contract. Like Harris.

the best signings this off season will be the ones the jets DON'T make

just be cool izzy and get the ship in order.  let sanchez and rex burn

then start over

jets in 2015 fellas

It would be nice if they were able to sign some lowered tiered guys that could help in 2015 as well.

If Garrard is still serviceable then he will make a great one year rental. Tannys made such a mess of this Team, that we will lose the best player ever to play for the Jets. I can't belieave we are paying Harris 13m this year, for a two down ILB. Ok sorry guys rant over.

Archived