Mornhinweg Says Sanchez Has Advantage in QB Competition

flgreen

Mark Sanchez has advantage in Jets' quarterback competition, Marty Mornhinweg says

Mark Sanchez has the skills to succeed in the Jets' new offense, coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said, but will have to earn the starting quarterback job. (Photo by John Munson/The Star-Ledger)

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger
on March 11, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Mark Sanchez has advantage in Jets' quarterback competition, Marty Mornhinweg says
|

Marty Mornhinweg is on board with the completion-heavy philosophy preached by new general manager John Idzik.

When it comes to the quarterback position, though, he thinks Mark Sanchez may have a bit of an advantage.

"I certainly like to have competition at every position, including the quarterback spot," Mornhinweg said on a conference call today. "Mark will probably have just a little bit of a leg up, it would appear. But I would like to have competition at that position as well as the other positions. Look, there are a select few on this team that have earned the right to step in as No. 1 on the depth chart. But I would like competition at all the other spots, including the quarterback spot."

Mornhinweg did not think Sanchez necessarily needed "fixing" after a troubling 2012 season where turnovers mounted and Sanchez was twice benched for Greg McElroy.

An offense muddled by injuries and, in some cases, predictability, also played heavy factors.

"He played some awfully good games, though it's been just a touch scatter," Mornhinweg said. "He's proven he can play at a winning level, at a high level -- the year before last there were three, maybe more than that, where he brought the team from behind on the last drive of the ballgame. He's proven he can do that. He's proven that he can make all of the throws. So now his challenge, and our challenge, is playing at that level on a much more consistent basis."

As for Tim Tebow, whose future with the Jets is in doubt, Mornhinweg said it will be his job to figure out a plan to use him

That's if Tebow is around, obviously.

Mornhinweg had a long talk with him recently.

"I've talked to Tim and he's part of this football team," Mornhinweg said. "I'm excited to coach all of our players, including Tim. We had a long discussion and my thoughts there I would like to keep those conversations between player and coach private there. But we've had discussions and he's got my thoughts on the situation and he's got some thoughts as well. If he's on this football team, which he is now, then I will do it a certain way and try to utilize all our players to help us win a football game."

What else could he say?  

They haven't made any moves and the moves they are rumored to make (Garrard/Quinn) aren't going to suddenly make Sanchez run away or even look like the bad option.    If they drafted and RG3 and Sanchez played, that would be stupid.  If they brought in Alex Smith and Sanchez was assumed to be the better QB, that would be stupid.     As of right now,  Sanchez really is the only option this team has, like it or not.

And the reality is Sanchez beats out Quinn and Garrard winds up watching the TV because he retires and hasn't played a real game since 2010.

What else could he say?  

They haven't made any moves and the moves they are rumored to make (Garrard/Quinn) aren't going to suddenly make Sanchez run away or even look like the bad option.    If they drafted and RG3 and Sanchez played, that would be stupid.  If they brought in Alex Smith and Sanchez was assumed to be the better QB, that would be stupid.     As of right now,  Sanchez really is the only option this team has, like it or not.

And the reality is Sanchez beats out Quinn and Garrard winds up watching the TV because he retires and hasn't played a real game since 2010.

Depends on Garrards health.  If Garrard plays like he did in 2010, and Sanchez plays like he did in 2012. garrard wins eaisily.  you mentioned in another thread that if Sanchez starts out 5-1 all will be forgiven.  Your right.

I just wouldn't want to place odds on that happening

It looks like Idzik is committed to cleaning up the books in 2013 and starting fresh in 2014 with a new QB, new HC, and some salary cap breathing room.   2013 looks like the year of the purge where the season is basically a 16 game tryout for 2014.    

Yeah it is starting to look that way.

I was one of the few fools who thought that the Jets might still be trying to compete in 2013.  Not for a Super Bowl, but maybe sneak into the play offs at 9-7.

Perhaps in the long run it’s better

It looks like Idzik is committed to cleaning up the books in 2013 and starting fresh in 2014 with a new QB, new HC, and some salary cap breathing room.   2013 looks like the year of the purge where the season is basically a 16 game tryout for 2014.    

does this ever really work?    So they waste an entire season because there is no rebuild.  It's just stink and dump staff/players.  

And then they have to find a HC, and probably some cheap no name HC at that, and repeat, rinse, etc.       And then you hope the new HC is better than Rex Ryan.    As bad as Rex Ryan has been in many aspects of coaching, he's one hell of a defensive coach.  Losing that means the new HC better be able to be good at something.  Otherwise you wind up with Herm Edwards.  Without the talented team left over from previous regimes.

I'll live through it, there is still no reason to ever start Sanchez. You're not learning anything new by playing him. 

The problem is everybody thinks a wasted year and a rebuild is a 'quick' turn around.    2013 will stink, but hey 2014 we will be great.  According to who?  They have to draft some QB of the future and hope he's not a bust.  They have to add a ton of talent.  They have to replace Rex Ryan's defense.  Say what you want, but most coaches can't touch Rex when it comes to defense.      And you have to hope the new HC isn't a bust either.

And you want all that in the first year.

The reality is nobody rebuilds.  Unless your Cleveland and Jacksonville.  How's that worked out ?

I would have no issues with dumping players and rebuilding from scratch.  The problem is they still have Sanchez and Rex Ryan, etc.

Cap, Money, or no money,  you can't really rebuild if you dont even have a HC or QB of the future.  There are no free years.

Plus the jets gave up and finished 6-10 in a year where Sanchez had one of the worst QB seasons in a long time.   Humans are humans.

As bad as Rex has been and Sanchez has been,   this entire 2013 will stink, goes to the crapper if Sanchez is just bad and not god awful, and Rex coaches up his team for one last hurrah.    If the Jets finish 6-10 again,  you can't really say thats a rebuild as they'll wind up with the 9th or 10th pick in the draft once again.   And it's not like next years QB draft class is filled with RG3s and Andrew Lucks.

Tanking.

Sanchez could even screw that up by not being completely awful.  He could give the impression of competence and the Jets would be in the 7-9, 8-8 win no-man's land with a mid 1st rounder.  Not bad enough to get a high pick but not good enough for postseason.

So Sanchez may not be done screwing over this franchise.

The reality is nobody rebuilds.  Unless your Cleveland and Jacksonville.  How's that worked out ?

The rebuild is a function of your ability to land a QB.   It seems to have worked in Indy, Seattle, and Washington.  

The book is still out on Miami. 

Cleveland and KC are "rebuilding" for the 2nd time in 3 years and Jax, Buf, Oak are just permanently ****ed.  

The rebuild is a function of your ability to land a QB.   It seems to have worked in Indy, Seattle, and Washington.  

The book is still out on Miami. 

Cleveland and KC are "rebuilding" for the 2nd time in 3 years and Jax, Buf, Oak are just permanently ****ed.  

Seattle got lucky with WIlson, but how exactly were they rebuilding?   In Pete Carrol's first two seasons they went 7-9.  

And a  7-9 team who won a bad division, and made the playoffs and won a playoff game against the defending super bowl champs.  THey went 7-9 again, and finally they went 11-5 and returned to the playoffs.  

That's not rebuilding.    That's just improving and drafting a good QB in season 3.

The Colts.. Come on.  Manning missed an entire season, which they weren't planning on, and they luck out to landing one of those QBs who comes along once a generation.   The Colts were a super bowl contender since Manning was QB.   They had one horrible 2-14 season because he missed the season and the team gave up.   That is nowhere near rebuilding.  Since 2000 the Colts have missed the playoffs once.  The year Manning was injured. And then they drafted Andrew Luck and started over.   And Luck was one of those QBs who comes along once every 20 years or so.

The Jets just went 6-10 after an 8-8 season.   If they wind up 4-12 and fire the entire staff and start over with a new QB and new HC and wind up 5-11, you're talking about a team who has missed the playoffs 4 seasons in a row, has had 3 losing seasons in a row, and who knows what the future might hold.  Ask Cam Newton and the Panthers. He's put up some good numbers, he's had his moments, but the Panthers still stink.  As Sam Bradford.  He's had his moments, but the Rams still stink.   

Sanchez could even screw that up by not being completely awful. He could give the impression of competence and the Jets would be in the 7-9, 8-8 win no-man's land with a mid 1st rounder. Not bad enough to get a high pick but not good enough for postseason.

So Sanchez may not be done screwing over this franchise.

The Pennington death spiral

And filling a few holes as best we can through the draft and reasonably priced cost FA signings.  It is a practical, reality-based approach.  What else are you going to do?

And filling a few holes as best we can through the draft and reasonably priced cost FA signings.  It is a practical, reality-based approach.  What else are you going to do?

Bad teams dream of seasons 2 years from now.      

I'd rather they throw the towel in and start building from scratch, if thats the plan.  

Why wait around ?     What happens if Sanchez or Garrard have avg seasons, Rex's defense plays good, Revis isn't traded and has a monster contract year,  and they finish 8-8 or 9-7 ?   I mean as bad as this team was this year, an avg QB gets them 9 wins easily.

Suddenly you become a team who isn't getting better, not rebuilding, and it's hard to fire your HC and dump the starting QB.  So much for 2014.

Archived