Mehta: Jets are Expected to persue Chase Daniel

flgreen

New York Jets Going After A 5th Quarterback, Chase Daniels

The New York Jets brought in quarterback Tim Tebow and the controversy and media circus only managed to highlight their fall. The presence of Tim Tebow is said to be part of Mark Sanchez’s fall from grace. He went from franchise quarterback to butt fumble faster than Manti Te’o's 40 time.

But now the Jets have signed quarterback David Garrard. That should make things interesting if he is given an opportunity to compete. If Tebow made Sanchez that uneasy that it affected his play, how is bringing in Garrard helping?

But the Jets aren’t done adding quarterbacks, they apparently are pursuing former New Orleans Saints back up Chase Daniels. New York Daily News reporter Manish Mehta tweeted the news:

“Jets QB competition may be getting more interesting. I’m told the Jets are expected to pursue Chase Daniel.”

Of course many expect the Jets to release or trade Tim Tebow and rid themselves of the ensuing “mania.” No one has emerged interested in making a trade, which isn’t at all surprising.

So if the Jets sign Chase Daniels they will have 5 quarterbacks on their roster, including Greg McElroy. So certainly you’d have to think McElroy and Tebow were headed out the doors to make room for the 2 new acquisition.

Or maybe they’ll just have a 5 way quarterback competition. That would make ESPN hanging out at their training camp more interesting than last year when we just had to watch Tim Tebow run in the rain shirtless.

Good. Throw them all in a pot, play the best one, hope you come out the other side with a QB you could win with.

Bingo.  Although the Tebow angle is just a desperate attempt to try to fabricate news.  He's been known to be a goner since the day the season ended.  Plus, how could they forget about the immortal Matt Simms?

the problem with this is that i have no confidence we are actually going to play the best one. May justbe to give sanchez some fake competition

The only reason I'm not so sure about that this time around, is last year Rex clearly finally get fed up with Sanchez and Mornhinweg has absolutely no reason to have any loyalty to him.  Last year's mess was made only worse by the fact that the coaches clearly wanted nothing to do with Tebow and even still they eventually benched Sanchez anyway.  This year, Idzik is clearly making an effort to make sure they have as many viable alternatives as humanly possible.  Not to mention, Rex has got to know that he's likely coaching for his job this year, and I can't imagine him putting his faith in Sanchez given that.

Bingo. Although the Tebow angle is just a desperate attempt to try to fabricate news. He's been known to be a goner since the day the season ended. Plus, how could they forget about the immortal Matt Simms?

Tebow is gone. McElroy is gone. For the first time in forever, the Jets might actually have multiple NFL-level quarterbacks on their roster.

The only reason I'm not so sure about that this time around, is last year Rex clearly finally get fed up with Sanchez and Mornhinweg has absolutely no reason to have any loyalty to him.  Last year's mess was made only worse by the fact that the coaches clearly wanted nothing to do with Tebow and even still they eventually benched Sanchez anyway.  This year, Idzik is clearly making an effort to make sure they have as many viable alternatives as humanly possible.  Not to mention, Rex has got to know that he's likely coaching for his job this year, and I can't imagine him putting his faith in Sanchez given that.

thats true but i really thought that was going to happen last year. Heck sanchez started the last game of the year still it just feels like nothing is really concrete with disciplining or moving on from sanchez its all just a facade. I hope garrard will come in and start then or tebow or anyone lol

thats true but i really thought that was going to happen last year. Heck sanchez started the last game of the year still it just feels like nothing is really concrete with disciplining or moving on from sanchez its all just a facade. I hope garrard will come in and start then or tebow or anyone lol

We have to hope that Tannenbaum pressured Rex to keep starting Sanchez in a desperate attempt to save his job.

I honestly believe if the Jets' backup QB was anyone other than Tebow (such as Stanton), they pull the plug on Sanchez much earlier than they did.  Last year was really just the perfect storm of awfulness at QB.  Them skipping right over Tebow to go to McElroy tells you everything you need to know about how the Jets' coaches felt about their QBs.  Sanchez will probably get a legit shot to fight for the job, but he's not going to be given any benefit of the doubt.

I honestly believe if the Jets' backup QB was anyone other than Tebow (such as Stanton), they pull the plug on Sanchez much earlier than they did.  Last year was really just the perfect storm of awfulness at QB.  Them skipping right over Tebow to go to McElroy tells you everything you need to know about how the Jets' coaches felt about their QBs.  Sanchez will probably get a legit shot to fight for the job, but he's not going to be given any benefit of the doubt.

didnt they just come out and say he has a slight edge? I remember rex saying every time sanchez is our starting qb. Sanchez is the QB hopefully they come in and say we will see who wins during training camp.

ps: unrelated but welker should go to the falcons

didnt they just come out and say he has a slight edge? I remember rex saying every time sanchez is our starting qb. Sanchez is the QB hopefully they come in and say we will see who wins during training camp.

ps: unrelated but welker should go to the falcons

Well there's two things to that:  that comment was made when the cast of QBs was still the same as last year:  Sanchez, Tebow, McElroy and Simms.  It's only the media who's desperately tried to play it off as meaning anything about a signing they have made since then (Garrard) or any future signings.  Secondly, talk is cheap in March.  I could be wrong, but even beyond my hopes that they're done with Sanchez, I feel like pretty much everything that's happened since the beginning of December has suggested this team wants nothing more than to find someone, anyone, who they think can be a better QB for this team than Sanchez.

Well there's two things to that:  that comment was made when the cast of QBs was still the same as last year:  Sanchez, Tebow, McElroy and Simms.  It's only the media who's desperately tried to play it off as meaning anything about a signing they have made since then (Garrard) or any future signings.  Secondly, talk is cheap in March.  I could be wrong, but even beyond my hopes that they're done with Sanchez, I feel like pretty much everything that's happened since the beginning of December has suggested this team wants nothing more than to find someone, anyone, who they think can be a better QB for this team than Sanchez.

i wonder whats gonna happen if we draft a qb this year. QB by committee

If this were the case they'd have gone hard after an Alex Smith, Foles,  Vick, hell even a Matt Moore, etc.

Bringing in a guy who hasn't been in the NFL since 2010 and another guy who hasn't really ever played in the NFL.

That's not bringing in legit competition.  It's a cheap way to claim there is competition, but in the end,  Sanchez probably starts again.

Think about Rex Ryan's decision.   Garrard is a 35 year old guy who hasn't played in the NFL since 2010 due to injury.  

Daniel is a guy who has what, 5 or 6 pass attempts in his NFL career.  Sanchez might suck, but come on.  This isn't' competition. It's a joke.

We could get lucky and Garrard stays healthy.  But i wouldn't count on it.

"Until they shoot me dead in my office, that son of a gun is going to be the starting RT"

If this were the case they'd have gone hard after an Alex Smith, Foles,  Vick, hell even a Matt Moore, etc.

Bringing in a guy who hasn't been in the NFL since 2010 and another guy who hasn't really ever played in the NFL.

That's not bringing in legit competition.  It's a cheap way to claim there is competition, but in the end,  Sanchez probably starts again.

Think about Rex Ryan's decision.   Garrard is a 35 year old guy who hasn't played in the NFL since 2010 due to injury.  

Daniel is a guy who has what, 5 or 6 pass attempts in his NFL career.  Sanchez might suck, but come on.  This isn't' competition. It's a joke.

We could get lucky and Garrard stays healthy.  But i wouldn't count on it.

The guys you listed not only all suck as well, but none of them were free agents, meaning they would have cost the Jets draft picks for guys who are also not the answer.  None of these guys give anyone reason to believe they are the long-term solution at QB, and don't think that the Jets don't know that, so they're trying to make the best with what is available.  In that case it certainly doesn't make sense to start trading away picks while likely costing much more money.

The guys you listed not only all suck as well, but none of them were free agents, meaning they would have cost the Jets draft picks for guys who are also not the answer.  None of these guys give anyone reason to believe they are the long-term solution at QB, and don't think that the Jets don't know that, so they're trying to make the best with what is available.  In that case it certainly doesn't make sense to start trading away picks while likely costing much more money.

Moore never hit the market, but that won't change the fact that everybody is going to say that the Jets turned down the chance to sign him for a deal that is the same or less than what the Dolphins gave him. 

Why stop there, bring in Kyle Orton, Brady Quinn, Colt McCoy, McLeod Bethel-Thompson, Matt Cassel, Jimmy Clausen, David Carr, B.J. Coleman, Aaron Corp, Aaron Leasing, Austin Davis, Pat Devlin, Chandler Harnish, Shaun Hill, Benny Hill, Josh Johnson, Mike Kafka, G.J. Kinne, Thaddeus Lewis, Thaddeus Monk, Josh McCown, Luke McCown, Luke McCain from The Rifleman, Jordan Palmer, Jesse Palmer, Rusty Smith, Tyler Thigpen, Pigpen from Peanuts, John Parker Wilson, Russell Wilson, Wilson Pickett, Brian Wilson from the Beach Boys, Nancy Wilson from Heart and Brett Hart from pro-wrestling which is probably more real than the Jets "open QB competition".

I never liked Moore and he resigned with the dolphins before anybody could get a shot at him.   I don't think Alex Smith is some long term answer, but Andy Reid and the Chiefs seem to think so.  Is he?  Who knows. He was considered a bust not that long ago and was jettisoned to the bench in favore of an unknown QB.

I'm not talking about long term help, I'm talking about legit competition.   Garrard is a guy who hasn't even been on an NFL roster since 2010.

Who is to say he even makes it through preseason?   And Daniel.   He's a practice squad guy.   He came out the same year Sanchez did.  

I think too many people wish Sanchez were gone, pray he won't start, but can't accept the fact that his competition isn't exactly better than him.

Garrard might've been when he was 28.  Not 35 and out of the NFL for two years.  And Daniel.  He couldn't even become a backup QB on a redskins team who sucked.

Why stop there, bring in Kyle Orton, Brady Quinn, Colt McCoy, McLeod Bethel-Thompson, Matt Cassel, Jimmy Clausen, David Carr, B.J. Coleman, Aaron Corp, Aaron Leasing, Austin Davis, Pat Devlin, Chandler Harnish, Shaun Hill, Benny Hill, Josh Johnson, Mike Kafka, G.J. Kinne, Thaddeus Lewis, Thaddeus Monk, Josh McCown, Luke McCown, Luke McCain from The Rifleman, Jordan Palmer, Jesse Palmer, Rusty Smith, Tyler Thigpen, Pigpen from Peanuts, John Parker Wilson, Russell Wilson, Wilson Pickett, Brian Wilson from the Beach Boys, Nancy Wilson from Heart and Brett Hart from pro-wrestling which is probably more real than the Jets "open QB competition".

This is the funniest part.  

People are so blinded by hatred for Sanchez (and he did suck) that they actually think Chase Daniel is a guy who would start over Sanchez.

Since when?

I really don't get any of these signings, unless in the next couple of days or months they dump Tebow(expected), cut McElroy and Simms.

And then you have your 3 QBs (Sanchez, Daniel, Garrard) for preseason.  Maybe they draft some kid.  Who knows..

But the truth is,  I don't see a need to sign a guy like Daniel, unless McElroy is already cut.   Neither are starting NFL QBs.

Garrard.. He's Tebow's replacement. At least thats the hope. And maybe he is healthy enough to beat out Sanchez.  That could happen.  Who knows.

I just see it as moves to make moves.   

What's the difference going into a season with Sanchez, McElroy, Simms  compared to Sanchez, Daniel, Garrard if healthy  and that's a big if?

I wonder how much interest there will be in Daniel?  Guy had a great college career,

Nobody touched him in the draft for two reasons.  1) he was short 6”0”  2) he played exclusively in a spread offense.

After last year’s success of the “Pistol” it seems like now those are positives  

This is the funniest part.  

People are so blinded by hatred for Sanchez (and he did suck) that they actually think Chase Daniel is a guy who would start over Sanchez.

Since when?

Why does it always have to be "blinded by hate."  How about just frustrated as hell and willing to try anybody else?

Archived