Is this all a prelude to tanking it for Clowney?

Bugg

Did you watch the sugar bowl? The guy destroyed Florida's D, a top 5 D in the country. NTM he played against UCONN and Rutgers who were both top 10 ranked D's this year.

Meh, Uconn and Rutgers were ranked so high in virtue of their schedule.  

He did dice up Florida though.  Guy was huge on 3rd down.  Kept picking up 3rd and longs and extending drives.  It was infuriating. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does any team ever tank?    Imagine you tank the year the Lions went 0-16.  

Suddenly a 2-14 team isn't getting the first pick and you don't get the guy you tanked the season for. Or that guy isn't what people thought.

Remember Leinart was suppose to go #1 or #2,  stayed an extra year, and wound up going 10.   Barkley was supposed to be a top 10 pick last season, stayed an extra year and in a bad QB year, probably won't even go in the first round, maybe not even 2nd.  The list goes on.   

There aren't many Lucks or Mannings thats for sure.  RG3 was a good prospect, but he wasn't considered a top pick until his incredible season.

If he was a kid who came back for another year, maybe he isn't #2.    Look at Johnny Football. If the guy could come out this year, he'd probably be #1.   By the time he comes out,  he might no longer be the prize in the sky everybody fell in love with.  that's just the way it works.  

And you never know what teams stink or are good from year to year.  The Jets might go 4-12 and wind up with the 5th pick.  Not the end of the world, but imagine you wanted a Luck or RG3... Suddenly you have to trade away the franchise to get that #2 pick.  Even after being a bad team.

The Colts, uinder the same family owning them, arguably  have done so 3 times-Elway(who refused to sign with them), Manning and Luck. Nobody is going to admit it. The NFL would probably not want to discuss it even if they found out.

Meh, Uconn and Rutgers were ranked so high in virtue of their schedule.  

He did dice up Florida though.  Guy was huge on 3rd down.  Kept picking up 3rd and longs and extending drives.  It was infuriating. 

Rutgers had a top tier D this year. A BCS level D. If we had decent QB play they would've gone undefeated. And Birdgewater won a game pretty much by himself, on one leg down 14 points at halftime vs that D. One of the most impressive performances I've seen live at any level.

This whole tanking concept is silly.  Tank the season for a Jr. (who is obviously coming out) but what if not?  What if he gets injured like Lattimore and ruins his draft stock completely.  What if he has a career ending injury?

Next year has a ton of talent, a lot are underclassmen...tanking the season on the hopes of drafting them is pretty ridiculous.  

And thats besides that fact that I dont think a first year GM is going to tank his first season on the job.  Probably not how a person would want to start a career.

That like a team prior to the season tanking for Matt Barkley who dropped from the number one prospect to what?

Because I'm sure Idzik and Woody have had the discussion about how they are rebuilding and that means the team is going to be really bad this season.

I dont think GM/teams think like that.  They want to be as competitive as they can and put the best product they can on the field each year while building for the future.  I highly doubt in Idzik's interview he was like, yeah my plan is to suck this year but just wait till the following season, and Woody signed up for that. No way. 

I dont think GM/teams think like that.  They want to be as competitive as they can and put the best product they can on the field each year while building for the future.  I highly doubt in Idzik's interview he was like, yeah my plan is to suck this year but just wait till the following season, and Woody signed up for that. No way. 

This.

This whole tanking concept is silly.  Tank the season for a Jr. (who is obviously coming out) but what if not?  What if he gets injured like Lattimore and ruins his draft stock completely.  What if he has a career ending injury?

Next year has a ton of talent, a lot are underclassmen...tanking the season on the hopes of drafting them is pretty ridiculous.  

And thats besides that fact that I dont think a first year GM is going to tank his first season on the job.  Probably not how a person would want to start a career.

Is this true?  I thought this year had an inordinate amount of underclassmen coming out. 

I know the top of the draft will be thick with talent, but after that?

Johnny Football strikes me as a four-year player.  He won the darn thing as a Freshman, and he's living the best years of his life; on top of the world at that.  Why would he leave early for the NFL?

moneyyyyyy. Besides reports say he is already living the celebrity life and loving every moment.

Rutgers had a top tier D this year. A BCS level D. If we had decent QB play they would've gone undefeated. And Birdgewater won a game pretty much by himself, on one leg down 14 points at halftime vs that D. One of the most impressive performances I've seen live at any level.

Ah, didnt know it was a "we" scenario here.  Might be going homer on me but a BCS level D doesnt give up 35 pts to Kent State at home.  You guys dont play anyone.  

Never knocked his performance though.  I like Bridgewater a lot. 

JiF, on 13 Mar 2013 - 20:20, said:

Ah, didnt know it was a "we" scenario here. Might be going homer on me but a BCS level D doesnt give up 35 pts to Kent State at home. You guys dont play anyone.

Never knocked his performance though. I like Bridgewater a lot.

I'm being very objective about the team and I see every game. The D was elite this season. You'll see that that's true because they will have 2 guys drafted in the first 2 rounds (a top 3 OLB in the draft and a top 3 CB in the draft) and another 2 go later. Not many NCAA teams have 4 NFL players drafted off of one unit in a year.

Is this true?  I thought this year had an inordinate amount of underclassmen coming out. 

I know the top of the draft will be thick with talent, but after that?

I'm not sure about quantity wise but the top players in the country, IMO, are underclassmen.

Clowney

Manziel

Bridgewater

Lee

Watkins

Cooper

Yeldon

Fales

Tuitt

Purifoy

I'm not sure about quantity wise but the top players in the country, IMO, are underclassmen.

Clowney

Manziel

Bridgewater

Lee

Watkins

Cooper

Yeldon

Fales

Tuitt

Purifoy

Matthews

Lewan

Murray

Boyd

point is, after the top-16 is there anyone else in the draft. 

I'm being very objective about the team and I see every game. The D was elite this season. You'll see that that's true because they will have 2 guys drafted in the first 2 rounds (a top 3 OLB in the draft and a top 3 CB in the draft) and another 2 go later. Not many NCAA teams have 4 NFL players drafted off of one unit in a year.

sh*t, that happens on the regs in the SEC homey.

Fair enough.  I dont know much about your team, just looked at your schedule, saw you play absolute dog sh*t and that you gave up 35 and 28 at home vs. Kent St. and Pitt respectively and figured they couldnt be as good as your claiming.

Matthews

Lewan

Murray

Boyd

point is, after the top-16 is there anyone else in the draft. 

it's not that 2014 is so much deeper than 2013, it's just deeper in QB's. 

I dont know where we are going here.  My point was, tanking for a high pick in general is stupid and tanking for an underclassmen is even more stupid and the best players in the country are underclassmen next year, so it makes the idea of tanking this season for a high pick which looks like it might be an underclassmen super stupid.

sh*t, that happens on the regs in the SEC homey.

Fair enough.  I dont know much about your team, just looked at your schedule, saw you play absolute dog sh*t and that you gave up 35 and 28 at home vs. Kent St. and Pitt respectively and figured they couldnt be as good as your claiming.

The PITT game  was away and they were mostly on turnovers. Our QB was Sanchez level bad. 

honestly Im not as high on Clowney as everyone else. Watch that Michigan game again, Taylor Lewan took care of him all day long. Clowney is a very good player but he's not worth tanking a season for...  all the stuff people say about Revis, how he can't win a SB by himself, that goes for Clowney too. a defensive stud doesn't save the Jets. 

Im not to sure on this guy either. He looks great on the college level, but in space he does look rather slow. 

His game won't translate to the NFL and he's a little guy.. Bridgewater plays in an NFL style offense NTM his great size and tools. 

Manziel is a baller...many said the same thing about Brees...his game will translate...just watch.

That Bridgewater/Manziel debate will be interesting when the 2015 draft rolls around.

Start reading the Texas papers more...Johnny and family supported his admission into Texas A&M early (Spring admit) for the sole purpose to make the NFL in 2014...no reason to stay an additional year...family isn't tied to A&M...his first choice was UT who told him he could play in the secondary...he comes out in 2014...and any team that passes on him will regret their decision.

The Colts, uinder the same family owning them, arguably  have done so 3 times-Elway(who refused to sign with them), Manning and Luck. Nobody is going to admit it. The NFL would probably not want to discuss it even if they found out.

If all the great players were Seniors, maybe..  But imagine years when the jets stunk, had the #1 pick and Manning went back to school.    They never came close to getting a QB like that.  Except the Jets just sucked back those years.  Now they look bad, but imagine they tank an entire season and the guy they want decides to return to school. And there are no Mannings or Lucks.

Plus look at the Elway situation. Or ELi Manning.  Hell years ago look at BO Jackson.  Those guys refused to play for a team.  I doubt that will happen, but imagine you tank and the  start player refuses to be on your team.   Chargers got lucky and wound up with a bunch of Picks and Rivers.. Then again the Giants have won two super bowls, Manning has 2 super bowl MVP awards and the Chargers are close to rebuilding without ever reaching one and Rivers has turned into a turn over machine that looks lost.   Hell remember the Chargers picking Ryan Leaf... who a lot of people thought had more upside than Peyton.    

Start reading the Texas papers more...Johnny and family supported his admission into Texas A&M early (Spring admit) for the sole purpose to make the NFL in 2014...no reason to stay an additional year...family isn't tied to A&M...his first choice was UT who told him he could play in the secondary...he comes out in 2014...and any team that passes on him will regret their decision.

Who knows what the kid will decide when the time comes.  There have been plenty of players who were graduating early, won awards, won or came close to winning championships, and had no reason to stay in college.  Didn't Leinart take like 1 'performing arts' class his 5th year of college.  

He might just decide to stick around another year. Or he might look at the teams picking 1 or 2 and figure, i don't want to play for them, I'll go back for another year in college.   You never know.    He's a kid.   The assumption is he's heading to the NFL.  But there are plenty of stories were some kid was going to be the #1 or #2  pick and went back to college.     You don't tank in hopes he might come out.

He's a 6' Vince Young. 

and had no reason to stay in college.

There isn't? Even if true, the experience will do him good.

Not all award winning college QBs are the best pro QBs. Where is Chris Leak, Tim Tebow, the Oklahoma QB that won the Heisman...so on...

? what does that have to do with it? No i hear he loves being in front of the camera. Going around on interviews. Having people make a big deal wherever he goes and such

That's the beauty of being the King on campus.  I dunno, I could be wrong, I just see the celebrity of a college campus as being enough to hold one over until graduating. 

Archived