Is this all a prelude to tanking it for Clowney?

Bugg

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pick your poison.

I did, thanks.  No need to be a jerk about it.  Of the five links you provided, two of them were the same article, one is no longer available, and one is a Bucky Brooks fluff piece about how gifted he is.  But I appreciate the effort nonetheless.

You're obviously an Aggie fan, or much more in tune with college back stories than I am, because I'm knee deep in free agency rumors, and 2013 draft stuff...Either way, my hat is off to you.

For those who don't want to read all of the links (each, thoughtfully provided by Jetscode1 in their very own post for some reason), allow me to paraphrase:

Johnny Manziel is an extremely gifted football player despite his obvious height limitations (he's listed generously at 6'1, 200).  His QB strengths include an incredible accuracy, mobility, and poise.  He leads his recievers with touch, throwing a catchable ball to where only his receiver can get it...and often throws right on the money. He is the next in line of new-age mobile QBs, being a legitimate dual threat with his feet.  In fact he had an impressive string of 100 yd running games. And, he doesn't fold in the big games, but actually seems to play better in them.  Take his beating Alabama in their house.  All of this combined with his incredible TD:INT ratio, passing yards, and rushing stats led him to be the first red-shirt freshman Heisman trophy winner.    

Unlike a lot of prospects, Johnny comes from a very affluent family, and is almost embarrassed driving his new Mercedes around town...his father who works for a car dealership had no problem gifting him a new one recently.  His first Mercedes, a high school graduation gift didn't seem fitting after his recent successes.  This combined with his flair for celebrity (he wears a jacket that has a heisman trophy logo on the sleeve), certainly paints a picture of a young man ready for the big lights in Hollywood.  But hold your horses,

Because of the added attention he's recently received, Manziel opted to start taking his classes online.  Why you ask?  because the flurry of attention (autograph requests, and congrats) would add thirty minutes to each classroom commute.  After his busy Fall, he decided to dedicate Spring to his classwork, and limit his constant parade of fans. 

Manziel is so interested in completing his education, in fact, that he actually left high school a year early with college credits, which will enable him to graduate at the end of his Sophmore season; technically his third year of college.  In the meantime, Johnny has hired someone to coach him on his new status, as he can no longer, tweet, post, or share on Facebook the way he used to...and he is now as much a part of the ESPN world as he is TMZ.  He is learning that success requires as much coaching as does football.  A lesson that hopefully ensures him a long, successful career, playing the game he loves on Sundays.  

The one issue I have with all this "trademark" already,  wants to be hollywood already, wants to be a celebrity, etc is didn't Sanchez do the same crap once he became a Jet?   Magazine covers.  Hot dates.  Blah blah.   Go back before Sanchez and Matt Leinart hung out with the 98 degrees guy and had all the girls he would want.     Wanting to be a celebrity sure as hell doesn't mean he'll actually be a good NFL player.   It just means he wants the limelight.      And right now it's all easy. Everybody loves the kid.    Vince Young was loved once.    Cam Newton was a god at Auburn.  He had a few melt downs in season two because he couldn't handle losing.     

You never know how players will react, but I'd be very very worried about a kid who seems to love being a celebrity more than anything else. We've seen this before.   At least Matt Leinart won a championship in college and came close to winning another.

You really think Idzik purposely looking to lose this season? His first shot as GM to prove himself

No but it's a lock.  Between the inflated cap and pathetic roster he pretty much tanked the season when he took the job.    Like jumping in front of a train to off yourself.  All you got to do is jump and the train does the rest.  

One player doesn't make a killer D. One QB makes a killer QB (if you have one). Plus you don't have to worry about parts of your killer QB leaving in Free Agency every year.

True but a 6"1 200 QB isn't it, lets see what he's like year two. Plus adding Clownley to Wilkerson and Coples will be one sick Dline.

He's tanking the season because he has no choice, Clowney would just be a very nice present at the end.

I love what Idzik is doing, at best this team could of been 9-7 if he went out and signed some decent veterans. But then what? SOJ mediocrity for the next 5 years.

I thought you were saying that a lot of underclassmen are coming out next year.  That would be back-to-back such years.  Pretty soon, college teams are going to be comprised of only Sophmores and Freshman. 

No.  I was referring to top players in the draft because the conversation was about tanking the season.  All the top players are underclassmen.  I've got no clue about the entire draft.

I dont think the NFL will ever suffer from that like the NBA.  The difference between playing in the NFL at 20 years old vs. the NBA is huge.  Most kids need to stay all 4 years to grow, get stronger and be ready for the physicality of the NFL, not to mention many stay for draft positioning.  NBA is much different in that sense. 

Welcome to the Lovie smith bears. Mediocre football. This isn't 1986.

Got a chill from the word "Lovie Smith". I'd almost rather see Mike Martz be the next HC of the NYJ; another defense-first MORON. If Woody has learned anything it should be that you have to score to win. Since the day Parcells walked out it's been onedefense first  guy after another who thinks the forward pass is evil and every game should be 13-10.

Welcome to the Lovie smith bears. Mediocre football. This isn't 1986.

No it's 2013 last i looked the Ravens were/are World Champs. Their Average Q.B who got hot in the playoffs (Happens) has a Ring. Ray Lewis Won the Ravens that Ring, they stepped up and crushed the Pats in the AFC.

Then blow out the 49ers til lthe weird powercut. We don't need Dan Marino, Payton Manning, or Tom Brady. We need an average Q.B, not one that fumbles at least twice a game, throws picks for fun, and crumbles under any preasure what so ever.

No it's 2013 last i looked the Ravens were/are World Champs. Their Average Q.B who got hot in the playoffs (Happens) has a Ring. Ray Lewis Won the Ravens that Ring, they stepped up and crushed the Pats in the AFC.

Then blow out the 49ers til lthe weird powercut. We don't need Dan Marino, Payton Manning, or Tom Brady. We need an average Q.B, not one that fumbles at least twice a game, throws picks for fun, and crumbles under any preasure what so ever.

So your plan is to have a mediocre QB and hope he "gets hot" in the playoffs, plays above and beyond what he actually is and win a Super Bowl 34-31? Is that your plan?

Got a chill from the word "Lovie Smith". I'd almost rather see Mike Martz be the next HC of the NYJ; another defense-first MORON. If Woody has learned anything it should be that you have to score to win. Since the day Parcells walked out it's been onedefense first  guy after another who thinks the forward pass is evil and every game should be 13-10.

If we keep running and running the score will be low.  Even if we lose it won't be by much because the other team has little incentive to run up the score.  Nice side-effect of making a mediocre defense look like a good to great one in the stat sheet.

If we keep running and running the score will be low.  Even if we lose it won't be by much because the other team has little incentive to run up the score.  Nice side-effect of making a mediocre defense look like a good to great one in the stat sheet.

Not only that, but if you put together a "great" defense with a mediocre QB, you are going into every game planning for it to be close, which means that you will be counting on winning games in the fourth quarter. But of course your mediocre QB will not factor into that equation whatsoever. Just as long as you don't have a mediocre kicker, I guess.

Not only that, but if you put together a "great" defense with a mediocre QB, you are going into every game planning for it to be close, which means that you will be counting on winning games in the fourth quarter. But of course your mediocre QB will not factor into that equation whatsoever. Just as long as you don't have a mediocre kicker, I guess.

Basically Jets/Giants 12/24/2011, with the game and a playoff berth  there all 2nd half for your taking and your crappy QB unable to do anything to win it. Think every day more and more  that's the turning point of the Wrecks Ryan program. it's the flaw of the regime; you can hang around and look okay with your "good defense" on the scoreboard but reality is you aren't winning anything that matters without being able to score some poitnts. In Sanchez engineers even 1 drive lat in that game the Jints don't make the playoffs, the jets probably do, very different world.

Brett Hundley > Manziel

Maybe, but that is a 2015 draft discussion, Hundley isn't eligible until 2015, Manziel is eligible 2014, don't forget Mariotta either, I would imagine if the Eagles struggle to find a QB the next 2 seasons, and Kelly survives he will do whatever it takes to go get Mariotta, he looks like he could be the next C Kapernik.

Do you realize TREMENDOUS gap between talent levels on the Jets and Ravens offense that you're calling average?

Do you realize TREMENDOUS gap between talent levels on the Jets and Ravens offense that you're calling average?

No I'm calling the Q.B average. The first year Sanchez was here, our OLine was
Stella, our D was Stella, We had the Number 1 run game in Football. Plus
Sanchez got hot in the Playoffs. My point his anyone who thinks Flacoo is Elite
is nuts.

He had a great surrounding cast. The Oline was amazing in the playoffs, he's got
one of the most Dangerous RB's in football and good receivers. Although If Ray
Lewis was not on that Team, no way they Win it all. Point is D still counts. You
saw how S.F's D kicked us around the field as year? My point they have a great D-also.

Maybe, but that is a 2015 draft discussion, Hundley isn't eligible until 2015, Manziel is eligible 2014, don't forget Mariotta either, I would imagine if the Eagles struggle to find a QB the next 2 seasons, and Kelly survives he will do whatever it takes to go get Mariotta, he looks like he could be the next C Kapernik.

Stay in school kids. 

Clowney is possibly the best DE to come out since Peppers. Like legitimately possibly...that's the level of talent he's displayed so far. If you can find me a QB eligible in 2014 that can top it I'd be all in. I'm not all in on Bridgewater and am way less into Manziel what's pushed here. 

Here we go again.....if we have the #1 pick you HAVE to take Johnny football.  I understand Clowney is the best talent but LB/DE do not win superbowls, qbs do. This isa qb league and if there is a franchise qb available whether it is Johnny football or Bridgewater you have to take the QB every time

If we tank for anyone...his name is Johnny and he plays football.

NOOOO!  He's not coming out after next year!  He will play all four years!!! (sorry, i'm an A&M season ticket holder)

He's not a long term NFL QB. He's too small and doesn't have a great arm. It's all about Bridgewater.

Johnny Football strikes me as a four-year player.  He won the darn thing as a Freshman, and he's living the best years of his life; on top of the world at that.  Why would he leave early for the NFL?

POTW!!!

moneyyyyyy. Besides reports say he is already living the celebrity life and loving every moment.

He comes from money.  Not saying it won't be a factor, but his family has plenty of money. 

NOOOO!  He's not coming out after next year!  He will play all four years!!! (sorry, i'm an A&M season ticket holder)

POTW!!!

He comes from money.  Not saying it won't be a factor, but his family has plenty of money. 

My son hopes for the same thing...he's a sophomore there...my bet he leaves after this year...the family has pursued/protected his pro prospects since high school...when people say it's not about the money...it's all about the money...not sure you can convince the haters on JN he's a legit NFL QB...but I for one am sold on him.

My son hopes for the same thing...he's a sophomore there...my bet he leaves after this year...the family has pursued/protected his pro prospects since high school...when people say it's not about the money...it's all about the money...not sure you can convince the haters on JN he's a legit NFL QB...but I for one am sold on him.

Good for your son!  Best University on the planet!  I am a homer, and you are probably right about him leaving and the money.  Anyone who has seen him live will tell you that he just has "it."  The kid is absolutely insane.  Almost untouchable.

Russel Wilson is a poor man's JFF...

Archived