Cimini, Sunday Notes: Jets Warming to Geno Smith

flgreen

That's not just due to HC turnover, it's due to consistently drafting sh*tty quarterbacks that had no business being taken in the first round like Brady Quinn or Brandon Weeden (both 22 pick coincidentally) and then trying to make due with mid to late round guys like Charlie Frye, Colt McCoy or bringing in castoffs like jeff garcia.  The only time they had the number one pick they chose Tim Crouch and surrounded him with a sh*tty-ass expansion team roster that got him decimated on a weekly basis. 

I have idea what Idzik will do this draft, but I'm pretty certain what teams ahead of him do or what our last GM did, will have zero bearing on his selection.

When a new HC takes over they typically want to bring in "their" QB.   Rex will forever be tied to Sanchez, it's tough to see him getting a chance with another young QB.    I can see Idzik drafting a 3rd or 4th rd QB - like Renfree or Bray - but there is no way I see him using pick #9 or #13 on a QB. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We select Geno, because our scouting department sees something in him that another may not.  What made the dolphins and packers draft marino and rodgers, respectively, when a dozen or so other teams already passed up on them?   

Wishful thinking. 

If Rex gets fired this offseason, what coach is going to come to this team with Sanchez, Garrard and McElroy as the QB's?  Unless Rex leaves the next coach with a top 5 pick or multiple picks from a Revis trade, there is no reason for anyone to take this job.  Everyone is talking about how a new coach wants to bring in his own guy, but a job becomes poison because of a lack of QB talent.  The elite unemployed coaches are looking for a young roster with flexibility that they don't have to do a total gut job on.  Having a developmental QB on your roster will make the job more attractive.  It is stupid to say, "oh, let's take a 5th rounder like Renfree" if you had a chance to draft the top guys in this draft earlier.  We don't have a QB, we need to get one.  If we draft one and they suck, draft another.  QB is the biggest hole on this team and the most pivotal position in the league.  Keeping drafting until you get one.

this is one of those topics that it really doesn't matter. If geno is good he goes before 9. Cause 7 of the teams before 9 need a QB. If he drops to 9, there's a reason and the Jets aren't in a position to make gambles at QB. I know I say it alot but don't worry about Geno Smith cause he will be gone.  last couple days I'm feeling Oakland at 3. They will release Carson (who goes to AZ) because he won't restructure 13 mil. Smith and Pryor battle for the QB job in Oakland.

this is one of those topics that it really doesn't matter. If geno is good he goes before 9. Cause 7 of the teams before 9 need a QB. If he drops to 9, there's a reason and the Jets aren't in a position to make gambles at QB. I know I say it alot but don't worry about Geno Smith cause he will be gone.  last couple days I'm feeling Oakland at 3. They will release Carson (who goes to AZ) because he won't restructure 13 mil. Smith and Pryor battle for the QB job in Oakland.

If not Oakland, Philly and Cleveland are possibilities not getting much head-wind. 

I completely understand this line of thinking, but it's inherently flawed.  You're assuming that everyone's scouting department is equally capable of discerning quarterback talent.  If these clubs ahead of us were so adept at that, they wouldn't be in the mess they currently are in and wouldn't have drafted the charlie fryes, JP Lossmans, Trent Edwards, Kevin Kolbs of the world.  

I agree that I think Geno goes early to Jax or Oakland, but if he falls I'm not passing up on him because other teams passed on him.  They might have made a mistake like every team did twice when they passed up Wilson or when teams passed up Rodgers etc.  Good players fall for whatever reason, it's your job as a GM and scouting department to not worry what another team does and just grab your player.  I'm not arguing for Geno, I'm arguing the the notion that you pass on a player you value because a team ahead of you deemed him not worthy of a higher round pick.  

I'm with Stonehands on this; if you don't have a top level quarterback, you keep doing whatever you can do get one. With the new CBA, it's not as prohibitive to miss on one.  I'd rather my team do that than sit on their hands building a roster and jogging out a sanchez/garrard or any other of those guys.  

I completely understand this line of thinking, but it's inherently flawed.  You're assuming that everyone's scouting department is equally capable of discerning quarterback talent. 

likewise you're assuming that the Jets scouting dept is so talented that they know something the other teams don't. what recent picks prove this hypothesis? The Stephen Hill pick? Sanchito? 

Keep in mind even tho Idzik is the new Gm all the scouts and Bradway are still there. The scouting dept didn't clean house. It's all pretty much the same. 

likewise you're assuming that the Jets scouting dept is so talented that they know something the other teams don't. what recent picks prove this hypothesis? The Stephen Hill pick? Sanchito?

Keep in mind even tho Idzik is the new Gm all the scouts and Bradway are still there. The scouting dept didn't clean house. It's all pretty much the same.

Aaron Rodgers went 24th. 23 teams didn't think he'd be good enough to draft. That's not a great indicator.

Aaron Rodgers went 24th. 23 teams didn't think he'd be good enough to draft. That's not a great indicator.

Aaron Rodgers is a great example. He sat for 3 years behind Favre. I have no problem drafting Geno and sitting him for 3 years. What would Aaron Rodgers career be like if he started as a rookie? 

Aaron Rodgers is a great example. He sat for 3 years behind Favre. I have no problem drafting Geno and sitting him for 3 years. What would Aaron Rodgers career be like if he started as a rookie?

I'm of that mind, too. Personally, I think Rex probably wants Garrard to win the job so he can try and squeeze eight wins out of this roster, so I don't think he'd be averse to sitting a Smith, and I don't think Idzik would be calling down to the field demanding he plays, either, unless the team is 2-9 in November.

I'm of that mind, too. Personally, I think Rex probably wants Garrard to win the job so he can try and squeeze eight wins out of this roster, so I don't think he'd be averse to sitting a Smith, and I don't think Idzik would be calling down to the field demanding he plays, either, unless the team is 2-9 in November.

the problem is that no one sits anymore. All the rookies play. The model where Aaron Rodgers (and Brady, and many others) learned their craft before being thrown to the wolves is gone. Heck how would Sanchez be with 3 years of seasoning? 

the problem is that no one sits anymore. All the rookies play. The model where Aaron Rodgers (and Brady, and many others) learned their craft before being thrown to the wolves is gone. Heck how would Sanchez be with 3 years of seasoning? 

Don't you know-The Jets would have won 2 SuperBowls and we would be discussing dynasty continuation.

No contrarian - I'm really starting to like Geno Smith as a QB prospect. 

This video makes an excellent case. "Doesn't win the big game" is too common of a knock, especially when QBs who do win the big game (Greg McElroy, Jason White, Chris Leak, Tim Tebow etc) don't always translate as starters. 

Archived