Your Home For Damon Threads

Smizzy

Other than the obvious ... fills two huge holes, CF and LOH, this move makes long-term sense as well

Next Year Andruw Jones and Torii Hunter are both free agents, and as it so happens, next year Gary Sheffield comes off the books as well

AND SO ...

The short term gain is blatantly obvious, but this in NO WAY effects the long-term plan either

Next year we make a BIG RUN at Jones and Hunter with the Sheffield money coming off the books {and I predict we land Andruw Jones!}, and obviously we'll snag one of the two, and we simply slide Damon over to LF and shift Matsui over to RF

2006 0F

======

LF Hideki Matsui

CF Johnny Damon

RF Gary Sheffield

2007 OF

======

LF Johnny Damon

CF Andruw Jones

RF Hideki Matsui

You heard it here first :wink:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't you ever underestimate BIG STEIN

DON'T YOU EVER MAKE THAT MISTAKE!!

You hear that, Yankee fans?

You hear that, Yankee haters?

You hear that, Larry Luccino?

You hear that, JBF?

Once again BIG STEIN comes through for the faithful with a wonderful Christmas surprise

Octavio Dotel and Johnny Damon ... snuggled nicely under our Chrstmas trees, courtesy of BIG STEIN

Once again BIG STEIN tosses a lump of coal in the stocking for Red Sox Nation ... JOHNNY D is a Yankee, put that in your pipe and smoke it

AND DON'T YOU EVER .....

NEVER, EVER, EVER ... DON'T YOU EVER underestimate THE BIG STEIN =D>

"The Yankees were coming after me aggressively. We know George Steinbrenner's reputation", Said Damon.

"He always wants to have the best players, and I think he showed that tonight. He and Brian Cashman came after me hard," he said, referring to New York's general manager.

Damon fills a double void for the Yankees, giving them a speedy center fielder who can cover ground and a leadoff hitter to top a potent lineup that also includes Derek Jeter, Gary Sheffield, AL MVP Alex Rodriguez, Hideki Matsui, Jason Giambi, Robinson Cano and Jorge Posada.

Agent Scott Boras had been seeking a seven-year contract for Damon, but settled on a four year deal. The offer Damon accepted was essentially the same as the deal Matsui agreed to with the Yankees last month.

"A good leadoff hitter is tough to find, and I think that New York just found the best leadoff hitter in the game," Damon told WBZ in Boston.

When Mike Myers finalized his contract with the Yankees last week, he gushed about the prospect of having Damon in New York's lineup.

"I would put the over/under on Damon scoring 125 runs, and I'd take the over any day of the week," Myers said. "I think the fans would absolutely love him here, just his hustle and his passion for the game, the way he goes about his business. I think he'll fit in great in this clubhouse.

Got any Mets stuff??

Welcome to the dark side, Smizzy.

By the way, I met Brian Cashman today at Barry Halper's funeral. Kind of ironic, eh? He goes to a funeral, and now, after signing Damon, he might end up in a casket himself if Smizzy ever meets up with him.

Ham, all your rants will never change the fact that you overpaid for an aging center fielder with a girl's throwing arm. The Yankees will not win a championship this season.

Ham, all your rants will never change the fact that you overpaid for an aging center fielder

Aging CF? :-s

Nice try JF80, but your Jealousy is clouding your vision

Johnny Damon is 32 ... he signed a 4 Year deal ... that takes him to 35 ... exactly what I wanted all along

The only thing I didn't want to do was cave for a 7 Year deal that takes him to 38 ... in that case the BACK-END of the deal would have been for an aging CF ... but four years gives us four PRIME YEARS :wink:

And that's why you don't ever mess with THE BIG STEIN :box::comb::box:

Now Gear up for your worse nightmare JF80, another Yankee parade down the canyon of heros :fish:

Aging CF? :-s

Nice try JF80, but your Jealousy is clouding your vision

Johnny Damon is 32 ... he signed a 4 Year deal ... that takes his to 36 ... exactly what I wanted all along

The only thing I didn't want to do was cave for a 7 Year deal that takes him to 38 ... in that case the BACK-END of the deal would have been for an aging CF ... but four years gives us four PRIME YEARS :wink:

And that's why you don't ever mess with THE BIG STEIN :box::comb::box:

Now Gear up for your worse nightmare JF80, another Yankee parade down the canyon of heros :fish:

Johnny Damon is Babe Ruth incarnate, I tell ya. If there's ANYONE that can save this joke of a franchise its him. Boy, I'm glad you cleared that up Ham! I have to give it to ya, Damon DOES seem like Ruth a lot. Ya know how Ruth used to run like a little girl? Damon THROWS like a little girl! It all makes sense! This team is DESTINED for GREATNESS!

I swear to god on my kids lives...I will boycott this entire season.

The WHOLE farging thing.

Smizz, what are you going to do to pass the time this season? And is your Yankee boycott for the life of the contract or this year only?

OBTW, I love this move. The Yankees are done shopping as far as Im concerned.

I think the expiring contracts of Kevin Brown and Bernie Williams alone covered all of the off-seasons additions.

All in all not a bad off season. Yanks cut 20 mil in payroll and got better. After next off-season I think the Yankee payroll settles in at around 150 million and Mets and Red Sox fans have nothing to whine about.

OBTW, I love this move. The Yankees are done shopping as far as Im concerned.

I think the expiring contracts of Kevin Brown and Bernie Williams alone covered all of the off-seasons additions.

All in all not a bad off season. Yanks cut 20 mil in payroll and got better. After next off-season I think the Yankee payroll settles in at around 150 million and Mets and Red Sox fans have nothing to whine about.

AF, next year Sheffield comes off the books but I believe that money will be used to make a BIG RUN at Andruw Jones {or Torii Hunter, but more likely Jones}, who are both free agents following this season ... then move Damon to LF and Matsui to RIGHT

That makes it even sweeter for me ... it's like stealing from your enemy 8)

We Just damaged the Red Sox and SIGNIFICANTLY upgraded the Yankees in one fell swoop ... a double whammy ... Just the kind of move I live for :mrgreen:

And with Lofton and Jacque Jones also signed, the CF market is a lot thiner.

Other than the obvious ... fills two huge holes, CF and LOH, this move makes long-term sense as well

Next Year Andruw Jones and Torii Hunter are both free agents, and as it so happens, next year Gary Sheffield comes off the books as well

AND SO ...

The short term gain is blatantly obvious, but this in NO WAY effects the long-term plan either

Next year we make a BIG RUN at Jones and Hunter with the Sheffield money coming off the books {and I predict we land Andruw Jones!}, and obviously we'll snag one of the two, and we simply slide Damon over to LF and shift Matsui over to RF

2006 0F

======

LF Hideki Matsui

CF Johnny Damon

RF Gary Sheffield

2007 OF

======

LF Johnny Damon

CF Andruw Jones

RF Hideki Matsui

You heard it here first :wink:

I agree that this has a chance of happening, but Matsui in RF would be defensive suicide. He can't throw anywhere near enough to justify himself there. Neither can Damon, so he won't move either.

A more likely senario is Jones in CF, Cabrerra from th eminors in RF, and Matsui and Damon in LF/DH, although Giambi will also be there, with Eric Duncan at 1B.

I wouls slip Matsui into the 3 Hole to break up the three consecutive run of righties, yet keep Arod & Shef in two primary RBI Spots, 4 and 5

I think Torre will do the same ... to make it tougher on opposing managers when they go to the pen

Giambi 3rd, Matsui 56th.

If Giambi is all the way back, this is the most lethal. Giambi up with Damon and Jeter on base., and A-Rod and Sheff on deck.

Lethal. Best lineup in Baseball.

I do predict that the Bosox keep Manny. They need Manny and Ortiz together to attempt to counter-fight this Yankee arsenal.

Or in the immortal words of Tony Montana, say hello to my little friend ... :snip:

STARTING 9

CF Johnny Damon {L}

SS Derek Jeter {R}

LF Hideki Matsui {L}

3B Alex Rodriguez {R}

RF Gary Sheffield {R}

1B Jason Giambi {L}

C Jorge Posada {S}

2B Robbie Cano {L}

DH Bernie Williams {S}

No way Matsui bats 3rd. Also no way Posada should hit 7th (2nd lead off spot). I would bat Cano 7th, Posada 8th and Bernie 9th.

Run to glory?

By reaching an agreement with Johnny Damon on Tuesday night, the Yankees will have five of the AL's top 12 run-scorers in their lineup next season.

1. Alex Rodriguez 124

2. Derek Jeter 122

3. David Ortiz 119

4. Johnny Damon 117

5. Michael Young 114

6. Chone Figgins 113

7. Manny Ramirez 112

7. Mark Teixeira 112

9. Ichiro Suzuki 111

9. Grady Sizemore 111

11. Hideki Matsui 108

12. Gary Sheffield 104

Run to glory?

By reaching an agreement with Johnny Damon on Tuesday night, the Yankees will have five of the AL's top 12 run-scorers in their lineup next season.

1. Alex Rodriguez 124

2. Derek Jeter 122

3. David Ortiz 119

4. Johnny Damon 117

5. Michael Young 114

6. Chone Figgins 113

7. Manny Ramirez 112

7. Mark Teixeira 112

9. Ichiro Suzuki 111

9. Grady Sizemore 111

11. Hideki Matsui 108

12. Gary Sheffield 104

I would say that this year, they will have 6 of the top 13, as Giambi should join the fun!!

Reading EB's posts on this thread is high comedy! The boy should change his name to Cybil. :lol:

Like any new Yankee FA prize, he's only a true Yankee in my eyes when he wins a world series.

But I have officially come around on this signing. Good move for the Yankees, and it hurts the Sox.

2 birds with 1 stone

Like any new Yankee FA prize, he's only a true Yankee in my eyes when he wins a world series.

But I have officially come around on this signing. Good move for the Yankees, and it hurts the Sox.

2 birds with 1 stone

:roll:

Are you JonEJet's bastard love child? :lol:

Archived