Rex loves Mingo..or possible smokescreen?

BroadwayJoe12

Jetsinsider.com @JetsInsider
Peter King reports that Rex Ryan is "smitten" with LSU DE Barkevious Mingo. Could be the Jets' target at #9. #jets #nyj #nfl

Hard to believe anything that comes out of anyone's mouth this close to the draft, but operating under the assumption that this is true it could be a great thing.  If Rex feels Mingo could play in his system, which I had hesitations on because of his size, it would be a coup for someone with his explosiveness and athleticism to be had with the 9th pick.

Yeah, I buy it. Rex has been on record talking about his plan to get someone who can force a QB to step up, INTO pressure.

Mo & Co get a good push up front, and a guy like Mingo could pay huge dividends. Not just from his individual stats, but from his fit in the system. His specialty move is to get upfield so stinkin quick, the QB HAS to step up. That completes the puzzle for our pass rush.

Cool story Rex. Until this guy benches, I want nothing to do with him. Smells of laziness or hiding how weak he is.

You're that into the 225 bench press, ay? What's it predictive of? 

Mingo is a good one to get into so not surprising that a coach who knows his sh*t on that side of the ball would really like him. That said, this is probably just the Jets giving their dogs a bone. 

Mingo is a good one to get into so not surprising that a coach who knows his sh*t on that side of the ball would really like him. That said, this is probably just the Jets giving their dogs a bone.

It's indicative of being able to fight through blocks and bull rush. It's indicative of not being lazy and working hard at the job. It's indicative of someone putting in the time and effort and not relying on just what you were born with.

I don't have a problem with your general theory, but the bench is probably way lower in level of importance than the 40 and everybody around here wants to denigrate that.

That's fair. I'm not saying don't take him because of that. If the football people who know way more than me think he is worth it, I say go for it. Just not my favorite of the prospects at 9.

It's indicative of being able to fight through blocks and bull rush. It's indicative of not being lazy and working hard at the job. It's indicative of someone putting in the time and effort and not relying on just what you were born with.

Do his other workout numbers prove he's not lazy and is putting in the time and effort?

Do his other workout numbers prove he's not lazy and is putting in the time and effort?

No. It shows that he is willing to show off what he does well and hide what his weaknesses might be. Same reason Jarvis Jones didn't do much at the combine either. We know Mingo is quick and athletic. So was a plethora of other first round pass rushing busts. Many of them failed when they couldn't work past 300 pound offensive lineman because they weren't strong enough.

Bench is just as important as the '40. Which is to say that neither is important.

That's why J Jones should still be the top olb in the draft and a smart team like the steelers are going to scoop him up and make everybody look dumb.

And why was b Irvin such a dumb pick last year and mingo a great pick this year. Basically the same player, except Irvin is more athletic.

Has Mingo come in for a visit? Jets have always tended to draft guys they've had visits with, although that could be something that will change under Idzik. Really they haven't had visits with many guys you'd expect would get drafted in their range. It'll be interesting to see who they bring in this next week or so.

I get what you mean about being lazy, and you're right, you want to avoid those players. However,I don't understand this argument and I've been hearing it for a while now.  Because the guy doesn't want to bench it shows he is lazy and won't put in the work? This line of thinking doesn't hold up, unless you believe the only thing these players do in the gym is bench press. Looking past his chiseled physique and clearly powerful body, LSU's assistant coaches are known to be very vocal about players who dog it or are lazy and would have expressed concern to the scouts by now. Read: Sam Montgomery 

You're right though, Mingo probably would not bench well;he's got extremely long arms and isn't the bulkiest of guys, but that's not why you're drafting him.  There's a huge difference between weight-room strength and functional strength and you can see that on the field.  Just watching the guy you can see that he's anything but lazy, as I'll guarantee he has more tackles from backside pursuit than the other guys on this list. 

Has Mingo come in for a visit? Jets have always tended to draft guys they've had visits with, although that could be something that will change under Idzik. Really they haven't had visits with many guys you'd expect would get drafted in their range. It'll be interesting to see who they bring in this next week or so.

Not that I've heard of, but I haven't heard their full ten either.  It is interesting as the people I've heard them linked to haven't been any of the consensus top 10 either.  It's possible that their board is already set and they'd rather use the visits on prospects they could target later or they're just trying to hide their interest.  Either way I really have no idea the direction they're heading.

I get what you mean about being lazy, and you're right, you want to avoid those players. However,I don't understand this argument and I've been hearing it for a while now. Because the guy doesn't want to bench it shows he is lazy and won't put in the work? This line of thinking doesn't hold up, unless you believe the only thing these players do in the gym is bench press. Looking past his chiseled physique and clearly powerful body, LSU's assistant coaches are known to be very vocal about players who dog it or are lazy and would have expressed concern to the scouts by now. Read: Sam Montgomery

You're right though, Mingo probably would not bench well;he's got extremely long arms and isn't the bulkiest of guys, but that's not why you're drafting him. There's a huge difference between weight-room strength and functional strength and you can see that on the field. Just watching the guy you can see that he's anything but lazy, as I'll guarantee he has more tackles from backside pursuit than the other guys on this list.

All of this is more than fair. I just have concerns about him not being able to use something besides his speed to pressure the QB (like Maybin or a multitude of others). From what bit says, he isn't lazy and I believe it, but if it's me and my bench press and general strength is my weakness I work on that the most.

Maybe that's why Tebow is still around: to help Mingo in the weight room.

Not that I've heard of, but I haven't heard their full ten either.  It is interesting as the people I've heard them linked to haven't been any of the consensus top 10 either.  It's possible that their board is already set and they'd rather use the visits on prospects they could target later or they're just trying to hide their interest.  Either way I really have no idea the direction they're heading.

Yeah I haven't the slightest either. The guys they've met with don't really seem to match the value at 9 or the needs we've been talking about. There's Austin who really makes the most sense out of the names I've seen. Barkley would be awful at 9 but I guess is a possibility since he's getting talk at 8 and I think QB's may go higher than most expect this year. Lane Johnson is a top 10 guy but isn't a fit and will likely be gone. Don't think Dion Jordan's there. Star could be there but doesn't make sense to me unless they stay 3-4 long-term since they've already got two solid interior DL's in Wilkerson and Ellis and that'd be three consecutive first round picks on the DL. Manuel's basically in the same boat as Barkley but does have a bit more upside I suppose. Milliner is kind of similar to Star to me, would be solid value (don't think he's there) but if they move Revis for 13 only to take a CB at 9 that'd be upsetting. Patterson I don't think goes that high, but is a possibility. Ditto for Richardson and it's not a huge need. Geno another possibility but likely gone and they may not want to go QB in the first this year. Vaccaro makes some sense, but it seems high. The list so far at least just doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless they go with someone they haven't visited with.

All of this is more than fair. I just have concerns about him not being able to use something besides his speed to pressure the QB (like Maybin or a multitude of others). From what bit says, he isn't lazy and I believe it, but if it's me and my bench press and general strength is my weakness I work on that the most.

Maybe that's why Tebow is still around: to help Mingo in the weight room.

Maybin is a completely different player for a variety of reasons.

1 - Faced significantly lesser competition in college

2 - Played at ~225 in college at his largest

3 - Always had trouble putting on weight and keeping it on 

4 - Was more thin framed than most guys to start with

5 - Only had one trick - his speed

Mingo played last year at 240 without losing speed or agility after playing his sophomore season in the low 230's. He's underrated against the run too, while Maybin was a non-entity there. Also the combine is about showing what you've got and he aced or passed in everything but the bench. Little hard to hold that against him given his game and build anyway...the long arms thing is a legitimate point....he probably sucks at benching. Benching is a pretty stupid exercise anyway. 

Way better prospect than Maybin THO. 

I believe Rex probably loves Mingo but I also believe Rex won't drive the bus this year. In fact, looking at the Jets visits with players such as Travis Chappelear, Joe Kruger, Armonty Bryant it's possible they are looking past rd 1 for their 4th OLB. (Barnes, Pace, McIntyre, rookie). They had Dion Jordan in for a visit but unlikely he's there at 9. (we can dream...). Jets are also reportedly high on Cornelius Washington and Margus Hunt. 

I believe Rex probably loves Mingo but I also believe Rex won't drive the bus this year. In fact, looking at the Jets visits with players such as Travis Chappelear, Joe Kruger, Armonty Bryant it's possible they are looking past rd 1 for their 4th OLB. (Barnes, Pace, McIntyre, rookie). They had Dion Jordan in for a visit but unlikely he's there at 9. (we can dream...). Jets are also reportedly high on Cornelius Washington and Margus Hunt. 

Looking at later round prospects to go with first round guys is not evidence they will be drafting that position later. The Jets have visited or brought in first round candidates and non-first round candidates at a number of positions. There seems to be two things in common with every first round pick mentioned here this year (every year?):

- He's super risky in the first

- There's mid and late round options 

No. It shows that he is willing to show off what he does well and hide what his weaknesses might be. Same reason Jarvis Jones didn't do much at the combine either. We know Mingo is quick and athletic. So was a plethora of other first round pass rushing busts. Many of them failed when they couldn't work past 300 pound offensive lineman because they weren't strong enough.

What does it say about Vernon Gholston then? I mean, Vernon's weakness was that he was a total bust though his combine numbers and his overview has him as a "remarkable talent" lol. 

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/vernon-gholston?id=756

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, people around the NFL believe the Jets "would love" to draft LSU DE/OLB Barkevious Mingo with the No. 9 pick.

Schefter's report aligns with a recent one from SI's Peter King, who wrote Monday morning that Jets coach Rex Ryan is "awfully smitten" with Mingo. Mingo would give New York the explosive outside rusher Ryan has lacked throughout his head-coaching tenure. The Jets need players who can sack QBs and score TDs.
Related: Jets
Source: ESPN Insider Apr 19 - 7:45 PM

Schefty is usually pretty spot on and I'm trying to not get excited as very rarely have the Jets landed a player that I've wanted. Watched every snap of this kid in college and have been more critical of him than anyone; the only thing I worry about is his ability to put on good size, but it's quite possible Rex, who values long arms more than size, sees him as a solid fit.     The kid can set the edge quite well and I think if drafted, although he'll be taken along slowly, I could see him being a three-down player by the last few games of the year.

Mingo or Werner would be ideal. A pass rusher takes this D historically great if they are smart enough to extend Revis. 

with Revis being trades,  Rex possibly a lame duck, why would they go defense? Might be a new defensive system in 2014. 

Every time I see some media type picking the Jets to draft Mingo, I die a little inside. 

Though just the fact that they are trading Revis shows that Rex is no longer calling the shots how hopefully Idzik is making this pick and not the bafoon of a coach. (Which means no Mingo)

i do like C. Washington in the 4th the guy can play DE or OLB  or Powell in the 5th depth

with Revis being trades, Rex possibly a lame duck, why would they go defense? Might be a new defensive system in 2014.

I think they go offense either way. Mingo/Werner are my choices If they were to go defense at all in the first. Now they can do both.

I think they go offense either way. Mingo/Werner are my choices If they were to go defense at all in the first. Now they can do both.

i dont see Werner as a OLB  and Mingo who knows, D Jordan is the real deal,but i dont think he will be there at 9

Archived