The Case For The Jets Offense

j4jets

Lets beat a dead horse, shall we?

Why did the offense suck last year? Its not so black and white. There are a few reasons that had a cumulative effect.

1. Injuries to WRs and TE

2. Inexperience at WR and TE

3. New offensive system

4. Clueless OC

5. Tebow distraction/rotation with Sanchez

6. Average to below average run game

7. Inconsistent QB play

Yes, we can pinpoint at Sanchez and say he sucked and not many people will defend him. Why? Because he did. Question isn't whether or not he sucked. Question is, why did he suck? Here's my observation.

He had WRs that had never started an NFL game between Kerley, Hills, Gates and Schilens (he started a few games for CFL team Oakland Raiders). WRs never created separation. His favorite had nagging injuries that kept him in limited action even in the few games he did play. We had WRs start for us picked up from the streets. He had zero chemistry with any of his WRs or TEs besides maybe Kerley. Then the run game didn't exist. To top that off, our OC did not know what play to call and when to use Tebow.

We'll have Santonio back this year. We'll also have an experienced Hill to stretch the field. We upgraded our RB position and should be drafting a TE and G to take up the vacant spots. Our offense is already better than last year even without drafting a rookie. Sanchez can hold the fort. I think this Jets team will be an 8-8 team this year.

Flame away...

Why did the offense suck last year? Its not so black and white. There are a few reasons that had a cumulative effect.

3. New offensive system

4. Clueless OC

7. Inconsistent QB play

Yes, we can pinpoint at Sanchez and say he sucked and not many people will defend him. Why? Because he did. Question isn't whether or not he sucked. Question is, why did he suck? Here's my observation.

He had WRs that had never started an NFL game between Kerley, Hills, Gates and Schilens (he started a few games for CFL team Oakland Raiders). WRs never created separation. His favorite had nagging injuries that kept him in limited action even in the few games he did play. We had WRs start for us picked up from the streets. He had zero chemistry with any of his WRs or TEs besides maybe Kerley. Then the run game didn't exist. To top that off, our OC did not know what play to call and when to use Tebow.

We'll have Santonio back this year. We'll also have an experienced Hill to stretch the field. We upgraded our RB position and should be drafting a TE and G to take up the vacant spots. Our offense is already better than last year even without drafting a rookie. Sanchez can hold the fort. I think this Jets team will be an 8-8 team this year.

Flame away...

I had no idea Alan Dershowitz was a Jet fan.

As far as RB I wonder if Idzik see's Chris Ivory becoming our Marshawn Lynch, that power back who will just punish people and open it up for everything else.

Yeah because an injury prone undrafted career backup to backups in college and the NFL is just like a RB who got pushed to be a heisman winner and was selected #12 in the first round is so similar.

Yeah because an injury prone undrafted career backup to backups in college and the NFL is just like a RB who got pushed to be a heisman winner and was selected #12 in the first round is so similar.

same style runner Pedro, not comparing where they came from.

Clearly he wasn't the only problem with the offense last year, but having wide open receivers with different names will not help.  

Sanchez misses guys who are wide open who have created separation.  Even the completed passes, he's high he's low, he's behind, he's in front.  He's all over the place with his pathetic excuse for accuracy.   Not every successful QB relies on WRs to get ridiculous separation.  Some of them are actually good passers who fit the ball into tight windows.  That's what makes them good and what makes Sanchez Sanchez.

He telegraphs his passes.  He has limited to no ability to see safeties - or even defensive linemen sticking their arms up - because he's so busy staring down his receiving target. 

He double pumps to his receivers which, for as much as you might get a CB to bite on the first pump now & then, it causes a safety to cheat over to give help up top and Sanchez won't know it because of the aforementioned tunnel vision.  

He throws fastballs to his checkdown receivers from point blank range, also usually inaccurately which means his target has 0.1 seconds to react to where the ball's going to end up.  

He has no concept of what it means to protect the football. 

He is panicky.  

He has no feel for pressure, sensing a phantom rusher when he's got a good pocket and acting oblivious to pressure when it's there.  It is a rarity to see him step up into the pocket to buy himself an extra half second or more.  Usually he just stays in the path of the outside rusher who never has to deviate from his path.

His sideline sulking would make Geno Smith blush. He is a pathetic baby and he's still blaming his crappy season on Tim Tebow, as evidenced by Jeff Garcia coming to his rescue in the media after working with him for a few days.

I know I'm forgetting some stuff, but the guy is the worst. There is no fixing him.

The other stuff mentioned, with the exception of blaming most of the incomplete passes on separation, I agree with.  Thank you for starting this thread.  I feel better now.

3. New offensive system

4. Clueless OC

7. Inconsistent QB play

Flame away...

Saying that Sparano was clueless is kind of insulting to people who are actually clueless.  :)

Not sure what is below clueless but that is where i put Sparano.

Clearly he wasn't the only problem with the offense last year, but having wide open receivers with different names will not help.  

Sanchez misses guys who are wide open who have created separation.  Even the completed passes, he's high he's low, he's behind, he's in front.  He's all over the place with his pathetic excuse for accuracy.   Not every successful QB relies on WRs to get ridiculous separation.  Some of them are actually good passers who fit the ball into tight windows.  That's what makes them good and what makes Sanchez Sanchez.

He telegraphs his passes.  He has limited to no ability to see safeties - or even defensive linemen sticking their arms up - because he's so busy staring down his receiving target. 

He double pumps to his receivers which, for as much as you might get a CB to bite on the first pump now & then, it causes a safety to cheat over to give help up top and Sanchez won't know it because of the aforementioned tunnel vision.  

He throws fastballs to his checkdown receivers from point blank range, also usually inaccurately which means his target has 0.1 seconds to react to where the ball's going to end up.  

He has no concept of what it means to protect the football. 

He is panicky.  

He has no feel for pressure, sensing a phantom rusher when he's got a good pocket and acting oblivious to pressure when it's there.  It is a rarity to see him step up into the pocket to buy himself an extra half second or more.  Usually he just stays in the path of the outside rusher who never has to deviate from his path.

His sideline sulking would make Geno Smith blush. He is a pathetic baby and he's still blaming his crappy season on Tim Tebow, as evidenced by Jeff Garcia coming to his rescue in the media after working with him for a few days.

I know I'm forgetting some stuff, but the guy is the worst. There is no fixing him.

The other stuff mentioned, with the exception of blaming most of the incomplete passes on separation, I agree with.  Thank you for starting this thread.  I feel better now.

hell hath no fury like a woman scorned

sounds like someone may have been victim of a dirty sanchez

cmon he not THAT bad

hell hath no fury like a woman scorned

sounds like someone may have been victim of a dirty sanchez

cmon he not THAT bad

The numbers say he is.  Only fools say otherwise, and to argue the point, they reel off a list of excuses like the OP did.  He's terrible, always was terrible, and always will be.

3. New offensive system

4. Clueless OC

7. Inconsistent QB play

Flame away...

That is literally the WORST possible case scenario.

Archived