NFL exec predicts Garrard will start Week 1

Sperm Edwards

One rival NFL executive predicted to NFL Network's Kim Jones 

that David Garrard will be the Jets' Week 1 starter if he stays healthy.

At age 35, Garrard is an obvious health risk after undergoing knee
and back surgeries over the past two offseasons. The Dolphins
released Garrard last September 4, and he spent 2012 out of football.
While the Jets' quarterback job is wide open to competition, we
believe Garrard is a longer shot than both Mark Sanchez and Geno
Smith. The best preseason QB will start on Opening Day.

May 7 - 12:02 PM

Confused...its says they believe Garrard is the "longer" shot.  Doesnt that mean he's less likely to win the job?

Also, has anyone else noticed that "NFL Exec's" all seem to have a ton of opinions on what the Jets do with their roster or draft or FA, etc?  Yet, you never hear these "NFL Exec's" chiming in about any other team.

Have to say I agree.  On the field there's no way Sanchez beats out a healthy Garrard, who is at least a legitimate NFL starter when he isn't hurt (though he's always hurt). 

I've thought this from start.. 

It's garrards job UNLESS Geno plays lights out in preseason aka Russel Wilson last year OR Garrard gets hurt..

starting sanchez IMHO just starts the Circus theme again

I agree too fwiw.

Garrard

Ivory

T-Bo

Hill

Kerley

Cumberland

D'Brick

Colon

Mangold

Winters

Howard

That lineup will change by week two from injuries.

And if Sanchez can't beat out a 35 year old coming off of a two year injury and a sh*tty rookie, he should ******* retire.

Confused...its says they believe Garrard is the "longer" shot.  Doesnt that mean he's less likely to win the job?

Also, has anyone else noticed that "NFL Exec's" all seem to have a ton of opinions on what the Jets do with their roster or draft or FA, etc?  Yet, you never hear these "NFL Exec's" chiming in about any other team.

"NFL Exec says..." is this seasons version of "according to an unnamed source with knowledge of the situations..."

I have noticed. I don't believe any of it to be true. 

When people don't put their names to trivial remarks like those that get floated in these hyperbolic, faux articles, it's because there's nobody behind the remarks but the hack writer trying to hit their daily quotas.

"NFL Exec says..." is this seasons version of "according to an unnamed source with knowledge of the situations..."

I have noticed. I don't believe any of it to be true. 

When people don't put their names to trivial remarks like those that get floated in these hyperbolic, faux articles, it's because there's nobody behind the remarks but the hack writer trying to hit their daily quotas.

I tend to agree. Where does this stuff come from?  Some beat writer reaches out to an exec from another team (who actually answers and gives said beat writer the time of day) and then the exec starts answering questions about the Jets and not their team?

Honestly, what NFL exec gives 2 sh*ts about who the Jets starter is week 1?  

I tend to agree. Where does this stuff come from?  Some beat writer reaches out to an exec from another team (who actually answers and gives said beat writer the time of day) and then the exec starts answering questions about the Jets and not their team?

Honestly, what NFL exec gives 2 sh*ts about who the Jets starter is week 1?  

It is all part of the fiction.

NFL = WWF 

Absolutely.

Goodell = the love-child of David Stern and Vince McMahon

Go back and look at the draft. Every team that needed a particular player to align with the fiction, got that player.

Jets got Geno. Packers got Lacy. Steelers got Jarvis. So on, so forth... all the high-profile organizations got aligned at least one major pick with this off-seasons storylines. 

Kim Jones believes that Garrard is the "longer" shot. NFL exec believes Garrard will start.

Did no one see the last 6 games of the 2012 season??????? Unless Sanchez has had a brain transplant that I don't know about....he's not going to be the starting qb of the New York Jets for the 2013 season.

Geno will

That lineup will change by week two from injuries.

And if Sanchez can't beat out a 35 year old coming off of a two year injury and a sh*tty rookie, he should ******* retire.

Geno Smith might be a sh*tty rookie but just HOW sh*tty is still unknown.  We know exactly how sh*tty Sanchez is and he becomes sh*ttier every year.  Garrard winds hands down if healthy. 

Did no one see the last 6 games of the 2012 season??????? Unless Sanchez has had a brain transplant that I don't know about....he's not going to be the starting qb of the New York Jets for the 2013 season.

Unless Rex Ryan gets a brain transplant he probably will. 

Have to say I agree.  On the field there's no way Sanchez beats out a healthy Garrard, who is at least a legitimate NFL starter when he isn't hurt (though he's always hurt). 

Is?  He WAS in 2010, but that was a long time ago and he's not magically going to be the same player at 35 that he was the after back and knee injuries.  It's absurd to think so.

And unless no one touches him, he's going to get hurt and you know it.

Geno will

Geno Smith might be a sh*tty rookie but just HOW sh*tty is still unknown. We know exactly how sh*tty Sanchez is and he becomes sh*ttier every year. Garrard winds hands down if healthy.

Sanchez is the worst starting QB I've even seen, I want him to retire.

Is?  He WAS in 2010, but that was a long time ago and he's not magically going to be the same player at 35 that he was the after back and knee injuries.  It's absurd to think so.

And unless no one touches him, he's going to get hurt and you know it.

I don't think it would require magic.  He was winning the starting job in Miami less than a year ago with little difficulty & missed the season after having his knee scoped (which isn't even that serious of a procedure; it isn't clear why he didn't play after that).  2011 he missed the season due to a herniated disk (which is long since healed).   He's been medically cleared for both of those (unrelated) injuries.

His last year in the league - yes, in 2010 - he started 14 games and put up 2 TDs per game while completing 65% of his passes to the following receiving "weapons":  Mike Thomas, Mike Sims-Walker, Jason Hill, Marcedes Lewis (who has been a big nothing without Garrard), and Zach Miller (not that Zach Miller; the other one).  Prior to tearing a finger ligament in Freeney's facemask (ew, gross), he was 8-5 with that sorry group of receivers and a bottom-5 defense to go with it.  The following year, even with MJD's career-best season, losing Garrard as their starter cost Jacksonville a full TD per game.

We'll see soon enough, but David Garrard - all 6'1" and 244 lbs of him - after 2 years of no NFL starts is still a better QB than Sanchez until proven otherwise.  Maybe it's desire, maybe it's hope, or maybe it's wanting to reverse some losing arguments about him, but some Jets fans seriously are blind (to put it mildly) to just how incredibly bad of a QB Sanchez is.  He may never have been lights-out amazing (except when compared to our numbnuts signalcaller), but Garrard was a seriously underrated QB.  Take your pick of any season since Sanchez was drafted and his receivers were probably better than the best crew Garrard was ever given to work with in 5 years in Jacksonville.  That group of "winners" I mentioned above plus Matt Jones, Reggie Williams, Dennis Northcutt, Ernest Wilford, Troy Williamson, and a hobbling Torry Holt.  That's who their front office brought in.  Hell, Jeremy Kerley might be the best receiver he's ever gotten to work with.

Care to wager who wins the QB competition? If Sanchez doesn't win the starting job then your sig for the month of September has to be "I am embarrassed to admit I was one of those delusional fans who believed, year after year, that Mark Sanchez was a good QB who was made to look bad by coaches and other players, and I repeatedly and pointlessly argued with great Jets fans like over it.  I just wanted it so badly I wouldn't admit what everyone's eyes could plainly see. I beg forgiveness from all of you."  If he wins the starting job...you name it.

I don't think it would require magic.  He was winning the starting job in Miami less than a year ago with little difficulty & missed the season after having his knee scoped (which isn't even that serious of a procedure; it isn't clear why he didn't play after that).  2011 he missed the season due to a herniated disk (which is long since healed).   He's been medically cleared for both of those (unrelated) injuries.

His last year in the league - yes, in 2010 - he started 14 games and put up 2 TDs per game while completing 65% of his passes to the following receiving "weapons":  Mike Thomas, Mike Sims-Walker, Jason Hill, Marcedes Lewis (who has been a big nothing without Garrard), and Zach Miller (not that Zach Miller; the other one).  Prior to tearing a finger ligament in Freeney's facemask (ew, gross), he was 8-5 with that sorry group of receivers and a bottom-5 defense to go with it.  The following year, even with MJD's career-best season, losing Garrard as their starter cost Jacksonville a full TD per game.

We'll see soon enough, but David Garrard - all 6'1" and 244 lbs of him - after 2 years of no NFL starts is still a better QB than Sanchez until proven otherwise.  Maybe it's desire, maybe it's hope, or maybe it's wanting to reverse some losing arguments about him, but some Jets fans seriously are blind (to put it mildly) to just how incredibly bad of a QB Sanchez is.  He may never have been lights-out amazing (except when compared to our numbnuts signalcaller), but Garrard was a seriously underrated QB.  Take your pick of any season since Sanchez was drafted and his receivers were probably better than the best crew Garrard was ever given to work with in 5 years in Jacksonville.  That group of "winners" I mentioned above plus Matt Jones, Reggie Williams, Dennis Northcutt, Ernest Wilford, Troy Williamson, and a hobbling Torry Holt.  That's who their front office brought in.  Hell, Jeremy Kerley might be the best receiver he's ever gotten to work with.

Care to wager who wins the QB competition? If Sanchez doesn't win the starting job then your sig for the month of September has to be "I am embarrassed to admit I was one of those delusional fans who believed, year after year, that Mark Sanchez was a good QB who was made to look bad by coaches and other players, and I repeatedly and pointlessly argued with great Jets fans like over it.  I just wanted it so badly I wouldn't admit what everyone's eyes could plainly see. I beg forgiveness from all of you."  If he wins the starting job...you name it.

Sure. Why not. This has nothing to do with me wanting Sanchez to win but knowing full well that Garrard may be a less known quantity than Geno Smith at this point. 

If Rex is smart: Start Garrard, stick Geno at #2, never dress Sanchez.

Because Rex is dumb: Sanchez starts for three weeks, all blowouts, then inserts Geno into a dumpster fire. Garrard stews on the bench and becomes Cimini's favorite Anonymous Source.

If Rex is smart: Start Garrard, stick Geno at #2, never dress Sanchez.

Because Rex is dumb: Sanchez starts for three weeks, all blowouts, then inserts Geno into a dumpster fire. Garrard stews on the bench and becomes Cimini's favorite Anonymous Source.

If Sanchez starts this year it proves Rex is ready to leave the jets and Idzik is ready to use his one year get out of jail card hoping to pick a QB high next year.  Training camp will be very interesting.

Sure. Why not. This has nothing to do with me wanting Sanchez to win but knowing full well that Garrard may be a less known quantity than Geno Smith at this point. 

So what is my punishment if Sanchez wins the starting job?

Personally I think having to watch Sanchez QB Jets games again is punishment enough, but a bet is a bet.

And I bet these same executive predicted that Matt Flynn would be starting week 1 also. Anyway, Geno's most likely going to win it, he gives our team the best shot to win.

Those words... combined to complete a full sentence...."He. Gives. Us. The best. Chance. To win."

....burns....

Archived