Cimini: Top 5 Players on the Hot Seat

flgreen

Top 5: Players on the hot seat

May, 29, 2013
May 29

11:31

AM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

From now until training camp, we'll post a periodic top-5 list for the Jets -- some serious, some not-so-serious. No joking for our first installment: Our top five players on the hot seat in 2013:

1. Mark Sanchez -- This is a no-brainer. Coming off his worst season, The Sanchize, as he was once known, has reached a crossroads in his career. Assuming he's on the team, Sanchez can either revitalize his once-promising career or get kicked to the curb in favor of rookie Geno Smith. If it's the latter, he almost certainly will be playing elsewhere next season.

2. Stephen Hill -- He gets a mulligan for last season because he was a rookie, unfairly thrust into a starting role even though he wasn't ready. The outcome was predictable: He was overwhelmed. The second-year wide receiver has the physical tools, and now it's time to show the Jets didn't waste a second-round pick. His development is critical to the offense.

3. David Harris -- He's a solid linebacker, no doubt, but his play slipped last season. Suddenly, his salary-cap figure ($13 million) is looming very large. His roster spot isn't in jeopardy, as most of his 2013 salary is guaranteed, but Harris needs a bounce-back season if he wants to see the final year of the big contract he signed in 2011.

4. Antonio Cromartie -- With Darrelle Revis gone, Cromartie becomes the No. 1 cornerback. In the Jets' system, that comes with big responsibility. Rex Ryan already has said that Cromartie will be assigned to the opponents' top receiver. He handled it well last season after Revis was injured, but now teams will have had a full offseason to prepare for the new dynamic.

5. Chris Ivory -- Let's face it, the passing game won't scare too many people, so the Jets will need somebody dependable to carry the rock. The Jets thought enough of Ivory to trade a fourth-round pick and give him a three-year, $6 million contract. With Mike Goodson's status uncertain, Ivory could be the new Shonn Greene -- except with more big plays, they hope. He showed flashes in limited work with the Saints. The Jets are betting on his upside.

1. No, sh*t

2. Im hoping to see Hill improve but to say he's on the Hot Seat is stupid, he was a huge project and only has half a season under his belt. It usually takes a normal receiver about 3 years.

3. Don't know how his contract is structured for next year so I have no idea.

4. You're an idiot

5. He's been with us for about a week

How is this titled Jets on the Hot Seat? I hate this ******* guy

+1

Wow, I've seen bad journalism, but could anyone be LESS on the "Hot Seat" than Antonio Cromartie?

I agree. Cro was our team MVP, went to the Pro Bowl, and was the (self-annointed) second best WR on the team.

He plays Defense, Offense, and Specials. Has a great attitude, and looks forward to mentoring the rookies (and younger players) on BOTH sides of the ball.

If anyone has shown reason to justify earning multi million dollars per year, it's Cromartie.

Maybe "5 players under the spotlight", but on the hot seat?  Only really Sanchez.

Sanchez isn't even on the hot seat. He was last year, and he failed, so they drafted his replacement. They've already moved on from him.

The only person with the Jets truly ON the hot seat is Rex, and that might be debatable too.

harris had a great year when we had a real nose tackle once pouha took over harris numbers drop, on a 3-4 d you need a guy that gets double team often at the nose i like him but 13M dont like that much

Sanchez isn't even on the hot seat. He was last year, and he failed, so they drafted his replacement. They've already moved on from him.

The only person with the Jets truly ON the hot seat is Rex, and that might be debatable too.

I think too , Rex is on the hot seat , he going to need 6 or more wins to save his job

Somebody really has to explain why gifting Hill with the starting job the moment he was drafted was a good idea.

He had a first round grade.

...and for whatever reason caught 5 for 89 and 2 tds in his week-1 debut against Buffalo.

Oh yeah, and cause Sporano was an undercover saboteur sent from Miami to avenge Rex's behavior in South Beach.

Somebody really has to explain why gifting Hill with the starting job the moment he was drafted was a good idea.

What I've been saying since the we drafted him and people can't differentiate between me hating the kid and me hating the situation Tanny/Rex put the kid in. I think he obviously has potential.

Archived