Quinton Coples expects to make smooth transition from DE to LB

F.Chowds

Dustin Keller? No problem. Rob Gronkowski? Rob who?

To hear second-year Jet Quinton Coples tell it, the best tight ends in the AFC East won’t be a problem for him as he makes the switch from defensive end to outside linebacker this year.

“Dustin Keller? I wouldn’t let him get off the line,” Coples said. “That’s the best way to cover, ain’t it?”

But Coples didn’t stop with his former teammate, who is now on the Dolphins. He even said he has a plan to stop the Patriots’ Gronkowski, who has lit up the league for 38 TDs in his first three seasons.

“Yeah. Just don’t let him get off the line,” said Coples, before admitting that with Gronk, “I won’t just be one-on-one with him, I’ll have help.”

Functionally, Coples’ role will primarily stay the same: he’ll rush the passer on most plays. But now that the first-round draft pick (16th overall) in 2012 is standing up instead of having his hand in the dirt on all downs, he’ll have to diversify his skills. Coples, at 6-6, 285, said he sees his extra size as an advantage in coverage. Fellow OLB Antwan Barnes, by comparison, weighs in at 250 pounds.

Just how big is Coples? TE Hayden Smith, who sits next to him in the locker room, joked, “With Q over the top of you, you can’t see the sun. It’s all dark. You don’t know what’s going on.”

Coples isn’t alone in thinking he can be a solid cover guy. New defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman doesn’t just believe Coples can stop receiving targets at the line, he feels he can mark them in space as well.

“Once you understand what your assignment is and you know the job that you’re supposed to do, he’s extremely athletic. He’s just a big athlete,” said Thurman, who is taking over the defense from Mike Pettine. “He can change direction, he can move in space. We’re not going to ask someone within this defense to do something they can’t do.”

Ultimately, Coples’ performance will be judged largely on how he disrupts the passing game at the line, rather than out in coverage.

“If I lead the team in sacks, if I help my other defensive linemen and linebackers get production and sacks, I’ll feel the job is done,” he said.

Just how big is Coples? TE Hayden Smith, who sits next to him in the locker room, joked, “With Q over the top of you, you can’t see the sun. It’s all dark. You don’t know what’s going on.”

Racist.

If Rex says he can do it and Coples says he can do it, there's no reason to think he can't, other than all the quantitative and qualitaive data that suggests otherwise.

Rex said Gholston could do it and Gholston said he can do it... 

Rex said Sanchez could do it and Sanchez said he can do it...

lol

If Rex says he can do it and Coples says he can do it, there's no reason to think he can't, other than all the quantitative and qualitaive data that suggests otherwise.

Won't Coples and Rex be surprised when Just Keller leaps over him?  Won;t the Dolphins be surprised when the retard ends up on IR for the rest of the year?

THIS IS SO STUPID!!!!  ITS GOING TO FAIL MISERABLY!!!  STUPID REX RYAN IS TRYING TO PUT HIS BEST PLAYERS ON THE FIELD AT THE SAME TIME AND ITS NOT GOING TO WORK BECAUSE HE'S THE DUMBEST MAN ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET!!!  YOU KNOW THEY ARE GOING TO USE HIM EXACTLY LIKE THEY ARE SAYING AND NOBODY IS GOING TO BE SURPRISE AND REX IS SO DUMB!!!!

COPLES = GHOLSTON

BIGGEST BUST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

I support Rex but this move has no legs. Coples is 6'6" 280 he's not gonna be a linebacker in the traditional sense. He's gonna pass rush and what not. 

"Q" made it clear he will be just sanding in front of people for pass coverage.  Hey it could work.

"Q" made it clear he will be just sanding in front of people for pass coverage.  Hey it could work.

Yeah when its pussy Keller/

BTW what did you people expect Coples to say ?? Damn im gonna suck at OLB How the **** will I cover TE's when Ive never done it in my life ?

Won't Coples and Rex be surprised when Just Keller leaps over him?  Won;t the Dolphins be surprised when the retard ends up on IR for the rest of the year?

I think Coples pass defense strategy will be to knock TEs unconscious at the line of scrimmage.

Yeah when its pussy Keller/

BTW what did you people expect Coples to say ?? Damn im gonna suck at OLB How the **** will I cover TE's when Ive never done it in my life ?

No. I was expecting him to tell me how much better Mark looked this year.  Duh.

I think Coples pass defense strategy will be to knock TEs unconscious at the line of scrimmage.

Yep, and then play Dikembe Motumbo and swat passes. His length, coming off the edge should be a major factor.

It's Sports Science. I saw it.

Archived