I predict the ENTIRE 2013 SEASON on June 6th.

T0mShane

Hypothetically speaking, if Idzik were to fire Rex, there's a good chance that Darrell Bevell (Seahawks OC) would be the front-runner to get the job next year. Bevell comes from the same Mike Holmgren/Packers lineage as Mornhinweg, so it's not as if Geno would be learning an entirely new offense. If Mornhinweg produces with Smith, they could probably keep him on the staff with Bevell pretty easily. It's not like Mornhinweg has a ton of options.

If Bevell came as an offensive coach though wouldn't he just assume responsibility for the offense and let some random unqualified guy he knows handle the defense? Perhaps a hard nosed ex coach that reminds him of himself. Somebody "who knows what they know and know they know it" or some BS

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Bevell came as an offensive coach though wouldn't he just assume responsibility for the offense and let some random unqualified guy he knows handle the defense? Perhaps a hard nosed ex coach that reminds him of himself. Somebody "who knows what they know and know they know it" or some BS

You know, we're both coaches' sons.

"Know, and know you know it"...WHAT A CROCK OF sh*t IN A OFFENSIVE BOX THAT WAS!

I knew we were doomed the minute I heard thst diarhea

I'd rather watch cells of Syphilis and Gonorrhea fight each other over a host through an electron microscope than the 2013-2014 N.Y. Jets.

You wouldn't be able to watch them do that through an electron microscope since the cells would be dead.  If you want to see live action of small things, like single-cell organisms and your impossibly small penis, you'd use a light microscope you dumb f*cking ginger.

You wouldn't be able to watch them do that through an electron microscope since the cells would be dead.  If you want to see live action of small things, like single-cell organisms and your impossibly small penis, you'd use a light microscope you dumb f*cking ginger.

I don't think you even needed to acknowledged this stupidity. I'm pretty sure everyone else here is well aware the specimen needs to be viewed in an air tight a vacuum

Would anyone really notice anything if Marty and Rex switched positions....other than the noise of course?

Can we do that actually? As long as we dont kick off to start OT we'd probably be better off.

Lovie Smith got the Bears off to a 7-1 start, finished 10-6, and got fired largely because the new GM wanted his own guy. I think Rex's situation will mirror that. No first time GM wants to be hung by someone else's coach. This roster didn't drop from the sky into Rex's lap. Rex helped build this roster. He's responsible for bringing the franchise to the point where a 7-9 season might be viewed as a positive. He doesn't get extra credit for that.

If you're a GM, you don't set out to find a top-third coach. You set out to find a top-five coach. Idzik will have enough information to determine that Rex probably isn't a top-five head coach.

If you burn down your own house, you don't receive applause for rescuing your dog.

I do think Rex helped build this roster.  But I do not find it believable that Rex put his stamp of approval on every move (in addition to coming up with these ideas in the first place).  There is a wide range of difference from Rex giving input to the leap you've made, which is that Rex fully built this team and every bad thing that happened with it.  There's a lot wrong with Rex and his serious lapses in judgment, but I don't at all believe the BS you're effectively shoveling: that Rex fully built this team on his own and all Tannenbaum did was draft, sign, and extend people at the behest of Rex Ryan.  That it's a mess fully created by Rex and therefore he gets no credit and all blame if the team has a better-than-expected showing in a complete rebuild season where only draft picks and low-level FAs are brought in to replace the multitude of veteran FAs who were not re-signed (not to mention the team's best player in half a century, who was traded away).

Rex was the HC and Tannenbaum was the GM.  I'm sure Tannenbaum bounced things off Rex, but that doesn't mean Rex built the team.  And since Idzik seems to be an anti-Tannenbaum in this manner, Rex's GM skills (or lack thereof) aren't really compelling arguments to extend or fire him.  He was the HC and he's here to be the HC this year.  If the team's GM doesn't know enough to get/draft better players, not overpay for the decent ones like they're the NFL's elite, and trap the team into a corner with mindless planning (like having 3 of your top 4 WRs all hit FA the same offseason with no emerging young guys on the roster, or extending a bottom-5 QB like he's a top-10 QB) then the GM should be fired.  We also don't know of any "ideas" Tannenbaum had, if any, that Rex turned down & therefore never saw the light of day.  And while any GM should get input from his HC (even if only for in-house-politics reasons), that HC should have to earn FA/draft credibility points - make some great/correct decisions at offseason forks in the road - before his input in this matter is taken seriously.  It seems that was not done with Idzik's predecessor who just let Rex have whatever he wanted.  But like most uncontrolled blimps, Rex just wants everything and says no to nothing.

Your argument is one to fire Tannenbaum after a 7-9 season (had he not been fired already), not Rex.  Rex is just coaching the players the GM signs up & drafts.

The reality is we haven't seen Rex coach with a whole lot of options at his disposal.  This is a full rebuild year due to the way Tannenbaum constructed the roster. 

I do think Rex helped build this roster.  But I do not find it believable that Rex put his stamp of approval on every move (in addition to coming up with these ideas in the first place).  There is a wide range of difference from Rex giving input to the leap you've made, which is that Rex fully built this team and every bad thing that happened with it.  There's a lot wrong with Rex and his serious lapses in judgment, but I don't at all believe the BS you're effectively shoveling: that Rex fully built this team on his own and all Tannenbaum did was draft, sign, and extend people at the behest of Rex Ryan.  That it's a mess fully created by Rex and therefore he gets no credit and all blame if the team has a better-than-expected showing in a complete rebuild season where only draft picks and low-level FAs are brought in to replace the multitude of veteran FAs who were not re-signed (not to mention the team's best player in half a century, who was traded away).

Rex was the HC and Tannenbaum was the GM.  I'm sure Tannenbaum bounced things off Rex, but that doesn't mean Rex built the team.  And since Idzik seems to be an anti-Tannenbaum in this manner, Rex's GM skills (or lack thereof) aren't really compelling arguments to extend or fire him.  He was the HC and he's here to be the HC this year.  If the team's GM doesn't know enough to get/draft better players, not overpay for the decent ones like they're the NFL's elite, and trap the team into a corner with mindless planning (like having 3 of your top 4 WRs all hit FA the same offseason with no emerging young guys on the roster, or extending a bottom-5 QB like he's a top-10 QB) then the GM should be fired.  We also don't know of any "ideas" Tannenbaum had, if any, that Rex turned down & therefore never saw the light of day.  And while any GM should get input from his HC (even if only for in-house-politics reasons), that HC should have to earn FA/draft credibility points - make some great/correct decisions at offseason forks in the road - before his input in this matter is taken seriously.  It seems that was not done with Idzik's predecessor who just let Rex have whatever he wanted.  But like most uncontrolled blimps, Rex just wants everything and says no to nothing.

Your argument is one to fire Tannenbaum after a 7-9 season (had he not been fired already), not Rex.  Rex is just coaching the players the GM signs up & drafts.

The reality is we haven't seen Rex coach with a whole lot of options at his disposal.  This is a full rebuild year due to the way Tannenbaum constructed the roster. 

When you consider how many early  picks have been devoted to defense while Ryan has been here, clear Wrecks had a lot of influence on draft day. Even on offense, seemed from "Hard Knocks" John Connor was a favorite of his. Now that could be the magic of TV editing, but inarguable the early picks are pretty overwhelminlgy for the defense., Heck, recall a thread in which you said as much. But any coach is going to have some input. Clear under Tannenbaum Wrecks was indulged more than most coaches.  

t I don't at all believe the BS you're effectively shoveling: that Rex fully built this team on his own and all Tannenbaum did was draft, sign, and extend people at the behest of Rex Ryan.

Literally at no point have I ever even suggested that.

I totally disagree with your post.  From where did you dig up that nonsense?  A very good coordinator will get his unit to play at a high level.  Since we know that Rex is a very good defensive mind and was a very good DC, he could have the D playing at a high level while his other issues remain unresolved, unchanged, and no real growth or improvement on his part takes place.  Your reasoning is totally off on that point.

If  the Jets with their good D are giving up 30-40 points to the top teams in the league, then the Jets WILL be a bad team, not just mediocre.  If Rex's specialty is D and with all the #1 Jets picks on his D, and his D is getting bitch slapped around to the tune of 30-40 points in those games, then there's nothing to compel Idzik to keep Rex following the season.  Nothing.  His ability to produce a top D is probably what got him hire and what makes many Jets fans love him and think he is a great HC.  If his D gives up those many points, then it isn't a top D, Rex isn't nearly as good as advertised, and there's absolutely no reason to retain him as HC.

Your third point is equally nonsensical.  There are probably other awful HCs in the NFL as well, and perhaps their teams have less talent than the Jets, more injuries, or tougher schedules.

Logic escapes you in this post.  Your reasoning is flawed and circular.

Being an average HC is no reason to retain Rex.  His pros do NOT outweigh his cons at this point.  Some day they may, but certainly not now, especially if his D gives up 30-40 points a game to the top teams.  That shows that the Jets are a long, LONG way from being a top contender under Rex.  It makes little or no difference that the Jets squeak by other bad/weak teams.  Decent teams are supposed to beat weak teams.

Finally, you're still confusing being a HC with being a glorified DC.  It's totally laughable that you're using Sanchez and his still being on the team as a justification for Rex being a good HC.  He's still on the team because Rex LOVES him and has stood totally behind him until this offseason.  Rex's support of him probably had a lot to do with Tanny's insane decision to give Sanchez such a HUGE contract, and that has prevented the Idzik and the Jets from getting rid of Sanchez.  Rex stuck with Sanchez because of his own ignorance about offense, and because due to his love for and belief in Sanchez, and coupled with Tanny's incompetence, there were no other real options.  The fact that there is an open competition for the starting QB spot speaks volumes about how awful Sanchez is.  What other 4 year veteran QB who has played in two conference championship games and who has a winning record in the playoffs would have to compete to not only stay on the team, but more than likely to try to salvage his career. Sanchez has the worst record of any QB in the NFL over the last 5 years.  You gotta be joking with that BS.

Rex was not the GM and was not hired to be the GM.  Any GM-lite responsibilities given to him were stupidly given to him by an unqualified GM.  Rex is brought in to coach.  If he's also required to pick the players (or pick the winner among a few options given to him) in the draft or FA, then you fire the GM and get one who doesn't need a career DC's expertise in performing GM duties.  That has proven too great a responsibility for more accomplished HC's than Rex, so while it is an area where he's seriously lacking, it is an area I don't care too much about.

The one GM-type duty that a HC has to succeed at - and in which Rex has failed thus far - is in picking his coordinators.  I don't know how much power Rex had in keeping/ditching Schottenheimer in any given season, as BS may very well have been good friends with Tannenbaum here (they were both part of the 2006 new blood).  But when Shotty was finally given the ax, Rex brought in Sparano.  THAT move I believe is almost all on Rex, as their philosophies of running the ball to a fault were perfect matches.  But even that I wouldn't pin solely on Rex: I think Sparano also got Tuna's seal of approval, and Tannenbaum was always a sucker for all things Tuna-endorsed, so I believe that was a major part of the hire as well.  But Sparano was a clear match for what Rex wanted to do, and it was an even bigger unmitigated failure than his predecessor.  (Though I grudgingly give each of those two knucklehead OCs some slack because they certainly didn't draw up plays for Sanchez to be so impossibly careless with the football or so incompetent and slow-processing in live action.  They draw up plays with 3-4 options and Sanchez can't process more than 1 unless his OL gives him 5+ seconds, and telegraphs that 1st option like no one I've seen before.  What's an OC supposed to do with that?)

The team is throwing out rookies and cheap FAs and first-time (full time) starters at 6-7 positions on defense.  The offense isn't likely to be that great in putting that defense in good positions either.  If the Jets finish the season giving up ~20ppg on defense, typically good enough to be a ~#8 scoring defense, I think it is a relative success.  And in full clean-house/rebuilding years, like this one, relative success is something worth noting.  In true contender-type years, those "moral victories" are garbage and the things that losers take pride in.  But in a year like 2013, I could deal with just showing promise.  Next season we'll have over 10 draft picks and over $40M in cap space.

I'd also note that if the offense - yes, which Rex is responsible for as well - could put points on the board, we could win some of those games where the defense gives up 25-35 pts and they'd be afterthoughts, and the defense wouldn't shouldering most of the fanbase's blame for playoff losses where they gave up ~15 points. 

When you consider how many early  picks have been devoted to defense while Ryan has been here, clear Wrecks had a lot of influence on draft day. Even on offense, seemed from "Hard Knocks" John Connor was a favorite of his. Now that could be the magic of TV editing, but inarguable the early picks are pretty overwhelminlgy for the defense., Heck, recall a thread in which you said as much. But any coach is going to have some input. Clear under Tannenbaum Wrecks was indulged more than most coaches.  

Conner was a 5th round draft pick in Rex's first draft.  The last time the great Ozzie Newsome drafted a starting NFL player in round 5 was back in 2006. 

Literally at no point have I ever even suggested that.

"He's responsible for bringing the franchise to the point where a 7-9 season might be viewed as a positive."

"If you burn down your own house, you don't receive applause for rescuing your dog."

This is clearly blaming Rex for burning down the house through ill-conceived GM decisions.  It is more than merely a suggestion on your part.

Look, I think Rex has made a lot of bonehead moves (Sparano, making Holmes a team captain, and plenty of other idiotic decisions), and wouldn't have been upset if he was replaced with someone better this season.  I just think that critiquing him for his obvious lack of GM skills is unfair since we don't need him to be a GM and it isn't supposed to be why he's here.

"He's responsible for bringing the franchise to the point where a 7-9 season might be viewed as a positive."

"If you burn down your own house, you don't receive applause for rescuing your dog."

This is clearly blaming Rex for burning down the house through ill-conceived GM decisions.  It is more than merely a suggestion on your part.

Look, I think Rex has made a lot of bonehead moves (Sparano, making Holmes a team captain, and plenty of other idiotic decisions), and wouldn't have been upset if he was replaced with someone better this season.  I just think that critiquing him for his obvious lack of GM skills is unfair since we don't need him to be a GM and it isn't supposed to be why he's here.

Which speaks to what a mess the organizational chart has been under Woody and Tannenbaum.

This is clearly blaming Rex for burning down the house through ill-conceived GM decisions. It is more than merely a suggestion on your part.

Look, I think Rex has made a lot of bonehead moves (Sparano, making Holmes a team captain, and plenty of other idiotic decisions), and wouldn't have been upset if he was replaced with someone better this season. I just think that critiquing him for his obvious lack of GM skills is unfair since we don't need him to be a GM and it isn't supposed to be why he's here.

Obviously, Rex is not the GM and is not 100% responsible for the state of the roster. The remarks you quoted were in response to this growing narrative that suggests Rex had every player on this roster foisted upon him without his consent, and he thus bears zero responsibility for its relatively putrid state today. I think it's safe to assume that Rex has enjoyed a similar measure of roster control to what Mangini had, which is to say, plenty. You're talking about a coach who felt it necessary to specify that Stephen Hill wasn't his choice, as if he expected to be consulted on every choice. If you want guess that Rex had 10%, 30%, or 75% of control over his final roster, it's impossible to entirely exonerate him for where the team is at right now.

Obviously, Rex is not the GM and is not 100% responsible for the state of the roster. The remarks you quoted were in response to this growing narrative that suggests Rex had every player on this roster foisted upon him without his consent, and he thus bears zero responsibility for its relatively putrid state today. I think it's safe to assume that Rex has enjoyed a similar measure of roster control to what Mangini had, which is to say, plenty. You're talking about a coach who felt it necessary to specify that Stephen Hill wasn't his choice, as if he expected to be consulted on every choice. If you want guess that Rex had 10%, 30%, or 75% of control over his final roster, it's impossible to entirely exonerate him for where the team is at right now.

I have not read any such narrative.  Rex is not the GM but his prior GM bounced a lot of stuff off him. Rex is unqualified to have had this added responsibility.  First you master control of both sides of the ball, then you get some measure of control as to which players to add (or not add) on either side.  Otherwise you're never in a position to choose a player in the draft or FA over another (unless the choice is among 2-3 defenders, and particularly among those who play in the front 7 at that; then Rex is probably a suitable tie-breaking vote).

I still don't understand how you're getting from point A to point B.  Rex is not a GM, is not qualified to be a GM, and is not acting as one right now.  Yet you're using a shortcoming while somewhat acting in this capacity as justification for his lack of qualification for a different position (that of being solely the HC without these GM responsibilities foisted upon him).  

Whether or not he bears some responsibility in assembling this roster is - or should be - largely irrelevant since that was never supposed to be his responsibility in the first place.

Rex was not the GM and was not hired to be the GM.  Any GM-lite responsibilities given to him were stupidly given to him by an unqualified GM.  Rex is brought in to coach.  If he's also required to pick the players (or pick the winner among a few options given to him) in the draft or FA, then you fire the GM and get one who doesn't need a career DC's expertise in performing GM duties.  That has proven too great a responsibility for more accomplished HC's than Rex, so while it is an area where he's seriously lacking, it is an area I don't care too much about.

The one GM-type duty that a HC has to succeed at - and in which Rex has failed thus far - is in picking his coordinators.  I don't know how much power Rex had in keeping/ditching Schottenheimer in any given season, as BS may very well have been good friends with Tannenbaum here (they were both part of the 2006 new blood).  But when Shotty was finally given the ax, Rex brought in Sparano.  THAT move I believe is almost all on Rex, as their philosophies of running the ball to a fault were perfect matches.  But even that I wouldn't pin solely on Rex: I think Sparano also got Tuna's seal of approval, and Tannenbaum was always a sucker for all things Tuna-endorsed, so I believe that was a major part of the hire as well.  But Sparano was a clear match for what Rex wanted to do, and it was an even bigger unmitigated failure than his predecessor.  (Though I grudgingly give each of those two knucklehead OCs some slack because they certainly didn't draw up plays for Sanchez to be so impossibly careless with the football or so incompetent and slow-processing in live action.  They draw up plays with 3-4 options and Sanchez can't process more than 1 unless his OL gives him 5+ seconds, and telegraphs that 1st option like no one I've seen before.  What's an OC supposed to do with that?)

The team is throwing out rookies and cheap FAs and first-time (full time) starters at 6-7 positions on defense.  The offense isn't likely to be that great in putting that defense in good positions either.  If the Jets finish the season giving up ~20ppg on defense, typically good enough to be a ~#8 scoring defense, I think it is a relative success.  And in full clean-house/rebuilding years, like this one, relative success is something worth noting.  In true contender-type years, those "moral victories" are garbage and the things that losers take pride in.  But in a year like 2013, I could deal with just showing promise.  Next season we'll have over 10 draft picks and over $40M in cap space.

I'd also note that if the offense - yes, which Rex is responsible for as well - could put points on the board, we could win some of those games where the defense gives up 25-35 pts and they'd be afterthoughts, and the defense wouldn't shouldering most of the fanbase's blame for playoff losses where they gave up ~15 points. 

I don't understand your response.  At no point do I say or even imply that Rex is, was, has been, or should have been the GM, nor did I say he should have picked the players.  

What I said was is that he has a bunch of the Jets #1 picks on his defensive unit, and that's a fact.  It's Rex's job to get them to produce and play together as a unit.  It doesn't really matter who picked them. That wasn't even part of the discussion.  The bottom line is that it's Rex's job to get them and the whole team playing at a high level, and if they're giving up 30-40 ppg to the top teams in the league, and/or if the offense scores closer to 10 ppg rather than 20, he isn't doing his job.  Of course the responsibility for the lack of talent goes on Tanny, period.   Doesn't matter if Rex did have a lot of influence/input on personnel choices (but we don't know for certain how much, if any, influence he had), the bottom line is that it was Tanny's job, not Rex's, and Woody was the moron who hired a bean counter with zero personnel knowledge/experience as his GM and paired him with a rookie HC.

You'll certainly get no arguments from me concerning Tanny being stupid and incompetent.  If Woody gave Tanny total control over who the coordinators are, then that goes on Woody as well.  I actually despise both of them.  Tanny couldn't get fired fast enough to suit me, and I sincerely wish that somehow Woody could be forced to sell the team.  

Since the coordinators work so closely with the HC, they should be coordinators that the HC wants.  Then if he fails, it's because of his poor judgment, not because of the GM's poor judgment or having to work with someone with different approaches and philosophies that the GM forced upon him.  I don't know who chose Mornhinweg, but it should have been Rex.  If it was Idzik, somehow trying to help or save Rex from himself, then I think that's a mistake.

I don't understand your response. At no point do I say or even imply that Rex is, was, has been, or should have been the GM, nor did I say he should have picked the players.

What I said was is that he has a bunch of the Jets #1 picks on his defensive unit, and that's a fact. It's Rex's job to get them to produce and pay together as a unit. It doesn't really matter who picked them. That wasn't even part of the discussion. The bottom line is that it's Rex's job to get them and the whole team playing at a high level, and if they're giving up 30-40 ppg to the top teams in the league, he isn't doing his job.

You'll certainly get no arguments from me concerning Tanny being stupid and incompetent. If Woody gave Tanny total control over who the coordinators are, then that goes on Woody as well. I actually despise both of them. Tanny couldn't get fired fast enough to suit me, and I sincerely wish that somehow Woody could be forced to sell the team.

Since the coordinators work so closely with the HC, they should be coordinators that the HC wants. Then if he fails, it's because of his poor judgment, not because of the GM's poor judgment or having to work with someone with different approaches and philosophies that the GM forced upon him. I don't know who chose Mornhinweg, but it should have been Rex. If it was Idzik, somehow trying to help or save Rex from himself, then I think that's a mistake.

I think he's pulling our legs.

I don't understand your response.  At no point do I say or even imply that Rex is, was, has been, or should have been the GM, nor did I say he should have picked the players.  

What I said was is that he has a bunch of the Jets #1 picks on his defensive unit, and that's a fact.  It's Rex's job to get them to produce and play together as a unit.  It doesn't really matter who picked them. That wasn't even part of the discussion.  The bottom line is that it's Rex's job to get them and the whole team playing at a high level, and if they're giving up 30-40 ppg to the top teams in the league, and/or if the offense scores closer to 10 ppg rather than 20, he isn't doing his job.  Of course the responsibility for the lack of talent goes on Tanny, period.   Doesn't matter if Rex did have a lot of influence/input on personnel choices (but we don't know for certain how much, if any, influence he had), the bottom line is that it was Tanny's job, not Rex's, and Woody was the moron who hired a bean counter with zero personnel knowledge/experience as his GM and paired him with a rookie HC.

You'll certainly get no arguments from me concerning Tanny being stupid and incompetent.  If Woody gave Tanny total control over who the coordinators are, then that goes on Woody as well.  I actually despise both of them.  Tanny couldn't get fired fast enough to suit me, and I sincerely wish that somehow Woody could be forced to sell the team.  

Since the coordinators work so closely with the HC, they should be coordinators that the HC wants.  Then if he fails, it's because of his poor judgment, not because of the GM's poor judgment or having to work with someone with different approaches and philosophies that the GM forced upon him.  I don't know who chose Mornhinweg, but it should have been Rex.  If it was Idzik, somehow trying to help or save Rex from himself, then I think that's a mistake.

In simpler terms, if Rex bears such responsibility for screwing up doing GM duties in the past, I don't think it disqualifies him as a HC if Idzik is in fact a proper GM (as he appears to be so far), since those responsibilities will no longer be Rex's anyway going forward.

Screwing up as a HC is what should be held against him.  Things like not telling his GM that the team's QB stinks and he needs to go out and get another one (nevermind merely not extending him, though that's significant), or making Santonio Holmes a team captain.  Those are derelictions of HC duties, as well as poor game-day performance that is likely tied to poor coaching rather than poor talent available to the HC.  But truthfully it I'm only 100% sure that the latter of the first 2 points is Rex's fault.  It is possible that Rex asked for a better QB but Tannenbaum told Rex to suck it up, play the good soldier, and make it work with Sanchez because that's Tannenbaum's QB.  Doubtful, but certainly not beyond the realm of possibility.  Also Sparano was a poor OC choice, but better and more experienced & successful coaches than Rex have chosen bad coordinators before.

I think you would until people figured out it was YOU that burned it down.

I really don't much understand the problems with Rex as a personnel guy.  How many players left the Jets and were successful elsewhere?  Woodhead is about the only guy I know that did more with another team.  Jenkins and Woody are out of the league.  Faneca?  Fell off a cliff.  Thomas Jones was at best adequate in KC.  The guys that squawked about how bad things were with the Jets like Edwards and Clowney did zero with their next teams.  Kerry Rhodes and Leon certaily did no better and they were actually traded based on contract and fit concerns.  I see the delination as GM provides the camp roster and coach picks from that. In that regard Rex has been fine.  That is in no way an endorsement of Rex as a coach, but it's more of an I agree with Sperm and hate Shane post. 

In simpler terms, if Rex bears such responsibility for screwing up doing GM duties in the past, I don't think it disqualifies him as a HC if Idzik is in fact a proper GM (as he appears to be so far), since those responsibilities will no longer be Rex's anyway going forward.

Screwing up as a HC is what should be held against him.  Things like not telling his GM that the team's QB stinks and he needs to go out and get another one (nevermind merely not extending him, though that's significant), or making Santonio Holmes a team captain.  Those are derelictions of HC duties, as well as poor game-day performance that is likely tied to poor coaching rather than poor talent available to the HC.  But truthfully it I'm only 100% sure that the latter of the first 2 points is Rex's fault.  It is possible that Rex asked for a better QB but Tannenbaum told Rex to suck it up, play the good soldier, and make it work with Sanchez because that's Tannenbaum's QB.  Doubtful, but certainly not beyond the realm of possibility.  Also Sparano was a poor OC choice, but better and more experienced & successful coaches than Rex have chosen bad coordinators before.

Again, I have no clue where you're coming from with the comments about Rex and his failures at GM duties with regard to my posts.  I said nothing even remotely resembling that.

When did a Rex Ryan defense start giving up 30-40 points a game?  Last year they gave up 30+ three times.  The Niners, Dolphins and 2nd Pats game.  34 to the Niners with 7 on the Holmes fumble.  30 to the Dolphins with a blocked punt for 7.  49 to the Pats was over 30, but 14 was directly on fumbles and there were plenty more turnovers in that game. 2011 wasn't much different.  The Raiders put up 34 without any direct scores from turnovers, but the 34 the Ravens scored included 14 on interception returns.  The Pats managed an even 30 once and 37 when the Jets had 3 turnovers including an INT for 7.  The Eagles absolutely dusted them putting up 45, but there were 4 turnovers including Holmes fumble returned for 7 and another he spit into Assante Samuel's hands.  Sanchez spit another ball up inside the 20. 

Hahaha. Very funny.  The team gave up 30.  Not the defense.  That is why we need a new QB and OC.  The failure of the offense is the #1 reason to get rid of Rex, but trying to blame the defense is just silly.  In two seasons I think they were on the field 3 times when the team gave up 30 or more points and zero times for 40.  That is on the field, it does not consider how many times dipsh*t fumbled or threw an INT that was deep in Jets territory.  Sounds like a ******* epidemic.  

You want to act like the guy is a glorified defensive line coach, that's on you.  He's a seriously high level DC at a minimum. 

Hahaha. Very funny. The team gave up 30. Not the defense. That is why we need a new QB and OC. The failure of the offense is the #1 reason to get rid of Rex, but trying to blame the defense is just silly. In two seasons I think they were on the field 3 times when the team gave up 30 or more points and zero times for 40. That is on the field, it does not consider how many times dipsh*t fumbled or threw an INT that was deep in Jets territory. Sounds like a ******* epidemic.

You want to act like the guy is a glorified defensive line coach, that's on you. He's a seriously high level DC at a minimum.

:smooths front of slacks; wipes breadcrumbs from tablecloth, sits down; stares at #27theDominator:

What does Rex Ryan do for a living? What's his job?

Problem with Wrecks is the same flaw of his dad-he really only cares about HIS DEFENSE. We've all seen it. And it's worse now when his dad was coaching because the rules demand you pass. This guy still thinks he can win every game 13-10, and that's idiocy.If someone in the auto industry proposed his big idea was selling  cars getting 8 MPG as marketing, he'd be laughed out of the interview. Wrecks instead has been indulged.  That he has failed to have decent pass offense his whole tenure should have been a firing offense. it wasn't because the idiot owner is cheap and doesn't want to pay 2 coaches. 

And our owner in and IDIOT because in an NFL in which scoring and passing have exploded he has hired nothing but defense first HCs. 

Things Rex is responsible for:

1. Winning four playoff games.

2. The defense, but only when the offense is good.

3. Muhammad Wilkerson

4. The Ravens' 2000 Super Bowl Title.

Things Rex is not responsible for:

1. Putting any of the 53 players on his roster on said roster.

2. Evaluation or drafting of any of those players.

3. The defense when the offense is bad.

4. Developing the quarterback.

5. Benching the undeveloped quarterback.

6. Ensuring that there's a viable option behind undeveloped quarterback.

7. Player discipline.

8. The offense (any part thereof).

9. The performance of his assistant coaches (unless someone returns a kickoff for a TD).

10. The two losses in the AFC Championship Games.

Things Rex is responsible for:

1. Winning four playoff games.

2. The defense, but only when the offense is good.

3. Muhammad Wilkerson

4. The Ravens' 2000 Super Bowl Title.

Things Rex is not responsible for:

1. Putting any of the 53 players on his roster on said roster.

2. Evaluation or drafting of any of those players.

3. The defense when the offense is bad.

4. Developing the quarterback.

5. Benching the undeveloped quarterback.

6. Ensuring that there's a viable option behind undeveloped quarterback.

7. Player discipline.

8. The offense (any part thereof).

9. The performance of his assistant coaches (unless someone returns a kickoff for a TD).

10. The two losses in the AFC Championship Games.

I kind of agree with you but #10 the 2 loses in the AFC championship game was caused by poor QB play , he not the worst Jet coach ,

Archived