Kellen Winslow’s 1st Day

JetNation

The NY Jets invited tight end Kellen Winslow to minicamp so that they could get a first hand look at him and determine if he can help their offense.  He had a good first day of practice, Dennis Agapito wrote:

Recently invited tryout tight end
Kellen Winslow
was impressive during the practice.  He ran well looked fast and didn’t seem to be hampered by a lingering knee issue he’s had since a 2005 motorcycle accident.  Winslow caught the ball, in stride, ran after the catch and had some nice route running gaining separation.  He even carried once on an end around.

After practice Kellen spoke to the media about only having 24 hours to learn the offense before taking the field

Yeah, not even that. You just take it day by day and go through your installs day by day. It’ll take some time, but I’m used to the West Coast offense and it shouldn’t take me too long.

On his impression of the Jets and Coach Ryan before he joined the team…
Rex (Ryan) and I used to go at it when he was with the Ravens. He’s an awesome coach, man. One of the best defensive coaches in the league. He’s awesome. He’s a good guy.

On his goals and if there is a role for him on the team…
My job is just to make plays and however it works out, that’s how it works out. I’m a playmaker and my job is just to make plays. I’m just trying to make the team.

On how long he sees himself playing in the NFL…
I have years left. My last year was 2011, I caught 75 balls. I’ve been productive. It’s just the NFL – that’s how it goes sometimes. You get cut, you get traded and you can’t do anything about it. It’s out of my control.

I've never liked the guy.  World class moron.  However, given our offense, he could be a huge contributor if he stays healthy.  Good move bringing him in for a look.

Kind of wonder what the deal is.  Does this mean they signed him?  He's still trying out?  Does this mean he expects more than the min?  I'm not sure how these tryouts work since they are generally fringe players. 

If he expects more than the minimum and that would effect a compensatory pick he can go kick rocks. Obviously nobody else wants him

#27TheDominator, on 12 Jun 2013 - 10:57, said:

Kind of wonder what the deal is. Does this mean they signed him? He's still trying out? Does this mean he expects more than the min? I'm not sure how these tryouts work since they are generally fringe players.

Wish I knew? But, you have to believe that he's locked in at least for the agreed period, otherwise, Belicheat would sign him the second he heard about it just to keep the Jets from trying him out. Ofcourse, he then would release him before the season started, but he'd just do it to F with the Jets.

Kind of wonder what the deal is.  Does this mean they signed him?  He's still trying out?  Does this mean he expects more than the min?  I'm not sure how these tryouts work since they are generally fringe players. 

I'm sure he's still unsigned, as if nothing else it gives them a means to be able to sneak additional players into mini-camp over the roster limit as long as players are simply there on a tryout basis.  Considering he is at the team's facility, it's not like they won't be aware if he suddenly is going to go off and meet with another team.  Unless they have a tryout player they really don't like and can't be bothered with, I'm sure they'll simply keep it as is until the end of mini-camp and then do any roster adjustments then.  There's no particular rush when you're talking about guys who have been completely unsigned for months now.

I'm sure he's still unsigned, as if nothing else it gives them a means to be able to sneak additional players into mini-camp over the roster limit as long as players are simply there on a tryout basis.  Considering he is at the team's facility, it's not like they won't be aware if he suddenly is going to go off and meet with another team.  Unless they have a tryout player they really don't like and can't be bothered with, I'm sure they'll simply keep it as is until the end of mini-camp and then do any roster adjustments then.  There's no particular rush when you're talking about guys who have been completely unsigned for months now.

That's what I meant. I didn't think those guys could stick around without signing.  Seems crooked to me.  It certainly sounds like he plans on being with the Jets.

Rex: Winslow's skill 'jumps out at you'

June, 12, 2013
Jun 12

1:32

PM ET

By  Jane McManus | ESPNNewYork.com
Recommend1
Tweet2
Comments0
Email
Print

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — Kellen Winslow has already made an impression on Jets coach Rex Ryan. From the very first play, Ryan noticed the tight end, who is on a three-day tryout with the Jets.

Kellen Winslow
Kellen Winslow

#82 TE
New England Patriots

2012 STATS
Rec1
Yds12
TD0
Avg12.0
Long12
YAC2

“The one thing that jumps out at you is his skill and athleticism,” Ryan said. That’s something that jumps out at you, that he still has that and from the very first play that he’s in there, you can still see that.”

Winslow didn’t play a full season last year. He was briefly with the Patriots, and before that played three seasons with Tampa Bay after being drafted in the first round by Cleveland in 2004. Ryan, as defensive coordinator for the Ravens, was often frustrated by Winslow’s ability.

“I think having that kind of weapon, he’s such an athlete,” Ryan said. “Kellen’s never been a hired killer as a blocker, he tries you know, but as an athlete and a receiver, whoo. Of the two or three grey hairs I have in my head, like two billion of them or whatever, he’s contributed to some of those I can tell you.”

Here's what Winslow had to say about his first day with the Jets on Tuesday.

The Jets also have wide receiver Mike Sims-Walker in as a tryout for the minicamp, and he didn’t leave the same impression.

“He never jumped out at me the way that Kellen did,” Ryan said. “So we’ll see how he does today.”

That's what I meant. I didn't think those guys could stick around without signing.  Seems crooked to me.  It certainly sounds like he plans on being with the Jets.

Yeah, maybe so, but nobody really says or does anything about because it kind of works out for everyone;  the teams are happy to be able to sneak in extra players and the players would rather be given a chance to tryout than be sitting at home.  Pretty sure mini-camp is the last time any of this is allowed anyway.  After that, only those players on the roster can participate in anything.

Rex: Winslow's skill 'jumps out at you'

June, 12, 2013

Jun 12

1:32

PM ET

By  Jane McManus | ESPNNewYork.com

Recommend1

Tweet2

Comments0

Email

Print

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — Kellen Winslow has already made an impression on Jets coach Rex Ryan. From the very first play, Ryan noticed the tight end, who is on a three-day tryout with the Jets.

Kellen Winslow

Kellen Winslow

#82 TE

New England Patriots

2012 STATS

Rec1

Yds12

TD0

Avg12.0

Long12

YAC2

“The one thing that jumps out at you is his skill and athleticism,” Ryan said. That’s something that jumps out at you, that he still has that and from the very first play that he’s in there, you can still see that.”

Winslow didn’t play a full season last year. He was briefly with the Patriots, and before that played three seasons with Tampa Bay after being drafted in the first round by Cleveland in 2004. Ryan, as defensive coordinator for the Ravens, was often frustrated by Winslow’s ability.

“I think having that kind of weapon, he’s such an athlete,” Ryan said. “Kellen’s never been a hired killer as a blocker, he tries you know, but as an athlete and a receiver, whoo. Of the two or three grey hairs I have in my head, like two billion of them or whatever, he’s contributed to some of those I can tell you.”

Here's what Winslow had to say about his first day with the Jets on Tuesday.

The Jets also have wide receiver Mike Sims-Walker in as a tryout for the minicamp, and he didn’t leave the same impression.

“He never jumped out at me the way that Kellen did,” Ryan said. “So we’ll see how he does today.”

I wonder how he looks compared to what Keller brought to minicamp the past few years. 

I've never liked the guy.  World class moron.  However, given our offense, he could be a huge contributor if he stays healthy.  Good move bringing him in for a look.

Stole my words bro

Yeah, maybe so, but nobody really says or does anything about because it kind of works out for everyone;  the teams are happy to be able to sneak in extra players and the players would rather be given a chance to tryout than be sitting at home.  Pretty sure mini-camp is the last time any of this is allowed anyway.  After that, only those players on the roster can participate in anything.

I don't know, for practice squad players, maybe, but for Winslow, even though he's unsigned, he still probably has agents, friends, people in his corner. Anything more than a few days and somebody will start asking him questions.   It doesn't seem like anybody wants to sign him, but there were rumores all over the place about the Raiders, the Panthers, etc a few months back..  A few days to prove he's healthy and I'm sure his agent will be on the phone.  

Like I said, I imagine its far harder to just have a guy like Winslow on some "try out" for longer than a few days.   Look at Garrard. The guy hasn't played in a few years and the Jets signed him to a contract.  And then he retired in May before any practices.  You would think Winslow would be forced into sticking around, but I just dont' think his agents or his friends would allow him to.

Archived