Mark Sanchez: "I'm Going to Win, That's Just How I Am

flgreen

Mark Sanchez: “I’m going to win, that’s just how I am”

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 10, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT

Mark Sanchez, Geno SmithAP

Mark Sanchez faces stiff competition from Geno Smith to remain the Jets’ starting quarterback. But it’s a competition Sanchez believes he’s going to win.

Sanchez told ESPNNewYork.com that he’s excited about the opportunity to prove himself against Smith in training camp.

“When it’s a straight-up competition for the job, let’s roll,” Sanchez said. “It really doesn’t bother me at all. It really doesn’t affect my confidence or anything like that. We’re competing for something. All right, I’m going to win. That’s just how I am.”

Jets fans have harshly criticized Sanchez, but he sees no reason he can’t be the same quarterback who had Jets fans viewing him as one of the most promising young players in the league.

“I’ve been that guy; nothing has changed,” Sanchez said. “The results haven’t been what we wanted, but I haven’t changed. You don’t just switch and say, ‘This year, I’m going to do it.’ You have to be that guy at all times. I’m confident I can go out and make the plays for this team to win. You can’t guarantee wins and you can’t promise anything like that, but I know we’ll be the best-prepared team and the hardest-working team. We’ll have the potential to have a good season.”

If Sanchez doesn’t perform well in training camp, he’ll be watching that potentially good season from the sideline.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Mark Sanchez faces stiff competition from Geno Smith to remain the Jets’ starting quarterback."

Actually, he doesn't.  Smith has never played at the NFL level before, has never played in west-coast-style offense, and has barely even taken snaps from under center before.  Hell, nobody even knows if Smith is or ever will be any good at all.

The truth is the guy has never faced "stiff competition" for his job in his entire life.  Garrard would have been stiff competition and - barring injury - Sanchez would have lost that competition by a mile.  If Smith turns into "stiff competition" early, then Sanchez will lose this as well.

What a clown.

"Mark Sanchez faces stiff competition from Geno Smith to remain the Jets’ starting quarterback."

Actually, he doesn't.  Smith has never played at the NFL level before, has never played in west-coast-style offense, and has barely even taken snaps from under center before.  Hell, nobody even knows if Smith is or ever will be any good at all.

The truth is the guy has never faced "stiff competition" for his job in his entire life.  Garrard would have been stiff competition and - barring injury - Sanchez would have lost that competition by a mile.  If Smith turns into "stiff competition" early, then Sanchez will lose this as well.

What a clown.

Well he did have to face off against the immortal Kellen Clemens in order to win the starting job his rookie year.  Then after that... well, he's been backed up by a guy in his 40s and the only QB in the league even less accurate than him, neither of who were even considered for the job (not that they should have been).

So yeah, I guess on a relative scale Smith could be considered "stiff competition", simply seeing as how he hasn't already proven beyond doubt that he is an absolutely awful NFL QB.

What a clown.

Most clowns are good at their jobs  .... Sanchez sucks at his. He's providing everyone in the loop more reasons to dislike his sorry azz.

Well he did have to face off against the immortal Kellen Clemens in order to win the starting job his rookie year.  Then after that... well, he's been backed up by a guy in his 40s and the only QB in the league even less accurate than him, neither of who were even considered for the job (not that they should have been).

So yeah, I guess on a relative scale Smith could be considered "stiff competition", simply seeing as how he hasn't already proven beyond doubt that he is an absolutely awful NFL QB.

I thought the job was given to Sanchez his rookie year ? Clemens already proved he sucked balls

also on a side note I thought this was the same guy who was bothered by the Tebow trade. What real QB in their right mind would be bothered by Tebow ?

What a clown.

I disagree, and I agree.

FIrst off, Geno is stiff competition, and is going to whoop his arse in this competition for 2 reasons. Sanchez sucks, and Geno is going to be excellent.

I agree that prior to this year he has never faced any competition before. This is why I hate the bastard. A real QB would have gone to his coach and GM and said, get me some damn competition so I can prove that I am the best for the job. But not Sanchez, he is content competing against Kellen Clemens and 80 year old Mark Brunell. I bet Rex wanted to get some competition in for Sanchez, but Tannenbum said no way, that was Tannenbaums boy since he drafted him and said to Rex your not going to make my boy look bad. Now look, Tannenbum is gone, Rex is still here, and Geno is going to kick Sanchez buttfumbling ass and win the job!

^^ okay, Geno's mom.

realistically I don't expect Sanchez to say anything else. he'll probably win the job, too, because Smith is so new to the league and not somebody like Luck or RGIII who can just start. he's going to have to learn a bit. and that stretch where the Jets play NE, Pittsburgh, NO, Atlanta, and Cincinnati? Let Sanchez get crushed for that and put Smith in after the bye for his game experience. It's doubtful the Jets will be in contention at the point anyway, so no pressure.

I disagree, and I agree.

FIrst off, Geno is stiff competition, and is going to whoop his arse in this competition for 2 reasons. Sanchez sucks, and Geno is going to be excellent.

I agree that prior to this year he has never faced any competition before. This is why I hate the bastard. A real QB would have gone to his coach and GM and said, get me some damn competition so I can prove that I am the best for the job. But not Sanchez, he is content competing against Kellen Clemens and 80 year old Mark Brunell. I bet Rex wanted to get some competition in for Sanchez, but Tannenbum said no way, that was Tannenbaums boy since he drafted him and said to Rex your not going to make my boy look bad. Now look, Tannenbum is gone, Rex is still here, and Geno is going to kick Sanchez buttfumbling ass and win the job!

No one thinks less of Sanchez as a QB or as a leader than I do.  Even still, it seems unlikely for Geno to win the job outright prior to game 1 (no matter how much that is my preference).  While Sanchez is learning a playbook, which contain plays he's already run and practiced before, Geno is learning & practicing elementary footwork and other basic nuances - things that are not yet second nature to him - on top of the playbook.  It's tough to expect him to waltz out onto a field of players trying to take his head off and he's counting steps in his head & concentrating on placing his feet in such a way instead of concentrating on his progressions.

We'll see.

I thought the job was given to Sanchez his rookie year ? Clemens already proved he sucked balls

also on a side note I thought this was the same guy who was bothered by the Tebow trade. What real QB in their right mind would be bothered by Tebow ?

It didn't last long, but at the beginning of camp in Sanchez's rookie year, the Jets were feeding us a line of crap about it being an open competition for the starting QB job, but everyone knew it was going to be Sanchez.  His so-called "competition" was freakin' Clemens and Ainge for crying out loud.  There are posters on JN that could have beaten those two clowns out for the starting job.

No one thinks less of Sanchez as a QB or as a leader than I do.  Even still, it seems unlikely for Geno to win the job outright prior to game 1 (no matter how much that is my preference).  While Sanchez is learning a playbook, which contain plays he's already run and practiced before, Geno is learning & practicing elementary footwork and other basic nuances - things that are not yet second nature to him - on top of the playbook.  It's tough to expect him to waltz out onto a field of players trying to take his head off and he's counting steps in his head & concentrating on placing his feet in such a way instead of concentrating on his progressions.

We'll see.

Geno Smith is a 4 year starter for a good college program. Yes, he is learning some new things, but I am more than confident that between his natural ability, and Senor buttfumble's incompetence, Geno is going to win this competition.

It didn't last long, but at the beginning of camp in Sanchez's rookie year, the Jets were feeding us a line of crap about it being an open competition for the starting QB job, but everyone knew it was going to be Sanchez.  His so-called "competition" was freakin' Clemens and Ainge for crying out loud.  There are posters on JN that could have beaten those two clowns out for the starting job.

Yup, if Sanchez had any balls whatsoever he would have gone to Tannenbum and demanded some QB competition to prove he was worth starting. But instead he punked out and forced Rex and Tannenbum to let him compete against guys who had no chance. This is why I hate him, among many other reasons.

Geno Smith is a 4 year starter for a good college program. Yes, he is learning some new things, but I am more than confident that between his natural ability, and Senor buttfumble's incompetence, Geno is going to win this competition.

He was a starter for a program that is very different from anything he'll be running at the NFL level.  The "some things" he's learning really should be second nature before he sets foot on an NFL field.  Sanchez is total useless trash and it is entirely possible that today he is better-suited to start an NFL game than Smith.  That doesn't mean Smith won't be an excellent pro QB sooner or later; it just means it's really unlikely he'll be one by week 1.  

In other words, prepare yourself for disappointment.  

Yup, if Sanchez had any balls whatsoever he would have gone to Tannenbum and demanded some QB competition to prove he was worth starting. But instead he punked out and forced Rex and Tannenbum to let him compete against guys who had no chance. This is why I hate him, among many other reasons.

Rex and Tannenbaum actually worked for Sanchez?

And ballsy or not, I can't think of any QB who would request competition for a job they already have sealed up.  Frankly if he did that I'd think he's even dumber than I already think he is.

dude, stop. there aren't many Sanchez supporters on this board, but nobody in their right mind goes to their bosses and says, "Find someone so he can possibly be better and replace me."

He was a starter for a program that is very different from anything he'll be running at the NFL level.  The "some things" he's learning really should be second nature before he sets foot on an NFL field.  Sanchez is total useless trash and it is entirely possible that today he is better-suited to start an NFL game than Smith.  That doesn't mean Smith won't be an excellent pro QB sooner or later; it just means it's really unlikely he'll be one by week 1.  

In other words, prepare yourself for disappointment.  

We will see, but I am pretty confident that Geno is going to win this competition. I personally will be terrified if Geno does not win the competition. Sanchez is sooo bad, that if Geno cannot beat him out, than I think we need a new QB next year, that is how bad Sanchez is. For crying out loud, Greg Mcleroy was better than Sancez, but Tannenbum forced Rex to start Sanchez over him, Greg Mcelroy!

What NFL QB who has won playoff games with limited talent on the offensive side of the ball would ever ask that question?

We will see, but I am pretty confident that Geno is going to win this competition. I personally will be terrified if Geno does not win the competition. Sanchez is sooo bad, that if Geno cannot beat him out, than I think we need a new QB next year, that is how bad Sanchez is. For crying out loud, Greg Mcleroy was better than Sancez, but Tannenbum forced Rex to start Sanchez over him, Greg Mcelroy!

If he doesn't win the job it doesn't mean he's not going to be good.  It means he's not ready yet.

And it isn't like losing out to McElroy.  The Jets have a lot more invested in Sanchez than in Smith.  He has a lot more friends on the team, and more experience playing with them.

Just saying it isn't necessarily a knock on Smith if he doesn't start week 1 no matter how bad Sanchez is.  This team isn't going anywhere anyway.

Rex and Tannenbaum actually worked for Sanchez?

And ballsy or not, I can't think of any QB who would request competition for a job they already have sealed up.  Frankly if he did that I'd think he's even dumber than I already think he is.

Its' the only explanation for why Rex and Tanenbum would not have brought in real competition, I cannot think of one other valid reason. You may be right, but I cannot force myself to think rationally when it comes to him, and I still think he should have had to win the job, not have it handed to him

Its' the only explanation for why Rex and Tanenbum would not have brought in real competition, I cannot think of one other valid reason. You may be right, but I cannot force myself to think rationally when it comes to him, and I still think he should have had to win the job, not have it handed to him

the other explanation is that Tannenbaum was in no way qualified to be GM of an NFL franchise.

What NFL QB who has won playoff games with limited talent on the offensive side of the ball would ever ask that question?

oh boy, here we go. The Jets have plenty of talent on offense, we just cannot see it because the QB is sooooo bad. It's like taking a piece of chocolate, and putting it in a pile of dog poo. You won't know if the Chocolate is any good because it is covered by poo. Well, Sanchez is the poo, and the rest of the offense is the chocolate.

dude, stop. there aren't many Sanchez supporters on this board, but nobody in their right mind goes to their bosses and says, "Find someone so he can possibly be better and replace me."

your missing my point ace. He does not say find someone better than me, because if he is good, and has balls (Sanchez has neither) than he knows he will win the competition, and wants at least good competition. But Sanchez knew that he could not win a real competition, so he forced Tannenbum and Rex to let him compete against nobodies.

oh boy, here we go. The Jets have plenty of talent on offense, we just cannot see it because the QB is sooooo bad. It's like taking a piece of chocolate, and putting it in a pile of dog poo. You won't know if the Chocolate is any good because it is covered by poo. Well, Sanchez is the poo, and the rest of the offense is the chocolate.

The O-line has gotten worse every year since they did not resign Fanaca.

your missing my point ace. He does not say find someone better than me, because if he is good, and has balls (Sanchez has neither) than he knows he will win the competition, and wants at least good competition. But Sanchez knew that he could not win a real competition, so he forced Tannenbum and Rex to let him compete against nobodies.

You do not have a point. What you believe is exactly that, Sanchez isn't the best but he is not nearly as bad as what you are saying either.

You do not have a point. What you believe is exactly that, Sanchez isn't the best but he is not nearly as bad as what you are saying either.

Sanchez is worse than what I am saying. Words cannot describe how bad Sanchez is. If you needed a license to be an NFL QB, he would not get one. Hell, if you needed a license to be a HS QB, he may not even get that.

I'm not missing the point, you're saying something completely inane. Nobody, whether he's the starting QB of the New York Jets or a custodian, tells his bosses that they should actively bring in someone who could possibly be better at his job than he is and replace him.

Archived