Idzik wants Geno to win competition (thanks, Manish)

Greenseed4

Rookie quarterback Geno Smith still has plenty to learn - and NY Jets know it Although Smith didn’t get the start, it’s no secret that first-year GM John Idzik hopes his second-round pick wins the job. Idzik probably doesn’t have a No. 7 tattoo yet, but give it time.

CORTLAND — Geno Smith has passed his daily quizzes for two weeks playing flag football in training camp, but the real exam comes Friday night when he trades in his red non-contact jersey for a green-and-white one.

The Jets’ quarterback competition may have technically started months ago when Smith and incumbent Mark Sanchez were frolicking around a New Jersey practice field in shorts, but it’s a lot easier completing passes when oversized humans trained to snap quarterbacks in half aren’t permitted to lay a finger on you.

Smith, of course, has played tackle football for a long time, but the NFL, even in the preseason, is an entirely different beast.

Rex Ryan & Co. will find out more about Smith on Friday night than they have through the first couple weeks of camp.

“It's not different at all,” said Smith, who is expected to get a little time with the starters before getting a bunch of work with the second-team offense. “I’ve played many football games. And a hit is a hit.”

Tell that to Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler or any of the other quarterbacks who have absorbed teeth-rattling (and sometimes illegal) blows from Lions defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh.

Sanchez will start, so it’s possible that Smith will altogether avoid Suh and fellow defensive linemen Nick Fairley and Ziggy Ansah. However, losing the protection of the red jersey will allow Jets brass to better evaluate the rookie.

RELATED: SANCHEZ SAYS HE'S 'EARNED THE RIGHT' TO START OVER GENO

“I think you’ll learn a lot,” Ryan said. “Obviously, in college they get hit too. . . . You’re going to get hit in this league, no question about it. So, we’ll see how (Smith) react(s).”

Although Smith didn’t get the start, it’s no secret that first-year GM John Idzik hopes his second-round pick wins the job. Idzik probably doesn’t have a No. 7 tattoo yet, but give it time.

If Smith turns into the franchise quarterback Idzik hopes he can be, anything is possible.

Smith hasn’t been told whether he’ll start the second preseason game against the Jaguars at Met Life Stadium on Aug. 17, but given the open nature of the competition, it’s likely he will.

“I don’t know yet,” Smith said. “But it’ll be interesting to see.”

Organizational rooting interests aside, the performances of Sanchez and Smith in the first preseason game will go a long way toward determining who will be under center when the Jets open the season against the Buccaneers on Sept. 8.

The first two preseason games will be the most important in this competition. Ryan will likely name his Week 1 starter in the run-up to the third preseason game.

to read more of this nonsense (non-news):

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-geno-learning-fly-jets-article-1.1420805

Extrapolated (thanks T0m) from Rotoworld:

8326.jpg

According to the NY Daily News, "it's no secret" GM John Idzik is pulling for Geno Smith to win the Jets' quarterback job.

This has been clear since Idzik signed David Garrard in hopes of knocking Mark Sanchez off the roster. (Garrard retired.) Coach Rex Ryan is expected to name a starter "in the run-up" to New York's third preseason game. Sanchez will start the exhibition opener, and Smith the second game. The top performer will start preseason game No. 3. Through 14 training camp practices, Smith has thrown one interception. Sanchez has been his usual turnover-prone self.

And there you have the root of Idzik's "it'll be a group decision" remark.

I'd at least hope that Idzik is smart enough to pull for Smith to win the job, not to pull for him to be the starter even if he hasn't earned the job.

I want Sanchez off the field as much as anyone, but Geno has to win the job.  If Sanchez is having a good camp (or what constitutes "good" for an awful player like Sanchez), then Geno needs to have a better camp.

Otherwise wait until Sanchez falls on his face in the regular season, which shouldn't take too long anyway. 

We're not winning the SB this season, so career-wise (or 2014 draft-wise) it makes no difference if Smith starts 16 games or only 10-12.  Sanchez isn't making it to the bye week unless Smith is injured.

And there you have the root of Idzik's "it'll be a group decision" remark.

I'd at least hope that Idzik is smart enough to pull for Smith to win the job, not to pull for him to be the starter even if he hasn't earned the job.

I want Sanchez off the field as much as anyone, but Geno has to win the job.  If Sanchez is having a good camp (or what constitutes "good" for an awful player like Sanchez), then Geno needs to have a better camp.

Otherwise wait until Sanchez falls on his face in the regular season, which shouldn't take too long anyway. 

We're not winning the SB this season, so career-wise (or 2014 draft-wise) it makes no difference if Smith starts 16 games or only 10-12.  Sanchez isn't making it to the bye week unless Smith is injured.

The problem with Sanchez (other than his horrid play) is that he has completely lost the fan base.   Fair or not, every 3-and-out or int will be booed mercilessly....which I don't think Woody will tolerate.      

The fans can tolerate a learning curve with Geno as long as he isn't the next Nagle.   It's really a tough spot for a HC to be in - Sanchez very well may "earn" the starting QB spot but unless he plays at a pro bowl level I just don't see how he makes it through home games.  

Once the paper bags come out it's pretty much over for Sanchez.   

The problem with Sanchez (other than his horrid play) is that he has completely lost the fan base. Fair or not, every 3-and-out or int will be booed mercilessly....which I don't think Woody will tolerate.

The fans can tolerate a learning curve with Geno as long as he isn't the next Nagle. It's really a tough spot for a HC to be in - Sanchez very well may "earn" the starting QB spot but unless he plays at a pro bowl level I just don't see how he makes it through home games.

I tried saying this in another thread. You sir, have said it perfectly!

The problem with Sanchez (other than his horrid play) is that he has completely lost the fan base.   Fair or not, every 3-and-out or int will be booed mercilessly....which I don't think Woody will tolerate.      

The fans can tolerate a learning curve with Geno as long as he isn't the next Nagle.   It's really a tough spot for a HC to be in - Sanchez very well may "earn" the starting QB spot but unless he plays at a pro bowl level I just don't see how he makes it through home games.  

As bad as Sanchez is, if Geno can't beat him outright, Sanchez should start the season.

I'm hoping Woody leaves the football decisions to the football people. And I'm hoping, like Sperm, that Idzik doesn't force Geno into the starting lineup before he's ready. If Geno really is the future, waiting a few weeks could be very good for him. Let the OL settle in for a month before trotting him out there. Let him see the speed of the game from the sidelines, and sit in Mornhinweg's hip pocket and learn.

The only way Geno doesn't eventually start is if Sanchez suddenly becomes great. Not a terrible outcome, but not likely, either.

But we'll have a much better idea about Geno and the home fans after the second preseason game.

*gets scissors, cuts eyeholes and puts paper bag on head immediately*

Agreed.

As bad as Sanchez is, if Geno can't beat him outright, Sanchez should start the season.

I'm hoping Woody leaves the football decisions to the football people. And I'm hoping, like Sperm, that Idzik doesn't force Geno into the starting lineup before he's ready. If Geno really is the future, waiting a few weeks could be very good for him. Let the OL settle in for a month before trotting him out there. Let him see the speed of the game from the sidelines, and sit in Mornhinweg's hip pocket and learn.

The only way Geno doesn't eventually start is if Sanchez suddenly becomes great. Not a terrible outcome, but not likely, either.

But we'll have a much better idea about Geno and the home fans after the second preseason game.

That's ridiculous. If it is remotely close Sanchez has to sit and Geno start.

If Rex, Mornhinweg and Idzik allow that to influence their decision-making, then all three should be fired now.

That's ridiculous. If it is remotely close Sanchez has to sit and Geno start.

You really think so? I mean if Geno is holding the ball for 5 seconds even 3 weeks from now (and Sanchez is still Sanchez) you really want to send him out into a game where they'll rip his face off after 3 seconds?

If Smith can get rid of the ball faster, then I'll agree (or be more agreeable to the "no matter what" idea) but he can't go into a game and take 5-8 sacks.  

I don't mind him learning this a little slower, but he seems to be getting "sacked" twice every dozen drop-backs in practices so far, and it's yet to be shown that we're even going to be a good pass-rushing team against non-Jets-offenses yet.  He's going to get the piss beat out of him if he does that for full games.  In other words, if he can't straighten that out by week 1 it is unreasonable to believe he will get it straightened out during week 1.  

It may only take him another couple of weeks (or maybe only another 1 week, or maybe another 8 weeks).  But whatever the time frame it takes him, he has to learn to get rid of the ball in practice before we send him out to live opposing defenses.

Sanchez sucks at this also, but I don't give a crap about him anymore.

More squidward actually.

so I actually read this pile of crap article looking for the idzik quote

there isn't one !!!!

how does his boss let him just assume he knows what idzik is thinking ?  not even a mehta "anonymous source" crap so he just made it up !!!

unbelievable

Not an Idzik quote to be found. He probably doesn't care, and would prefer both to not suck this year. Hopefully Smith is a keeper because his pre-2nd contract days will be nice and cheap. 

so I actually read this pile of crap article looking for the idzik quote

there isn't one !!!!

how does his boss let him just assume he knows what idzik is thinking ?  not even a mehta "anonymous source" crap so he just made it up !!!

unbelievable

What sucks is if Idzik had been planning on showcasing Mark in the preseason to trade him (obviously eating a prorated portion of his contract). this ****er Manish, who: (1) tweets formations he was explicitly told not to (2) bad-mouths Rex for not not being a head coach in charge of his player personnel, and (3) is now putting words in Idzik's mouth regarding HIS quarterback preference--is going to ruin everything. 

Now we're stuck with my favorite QB on the roster. 

That's why I think this is a 1 man competition and Sanchez is irrelevant.  Either Geno plays well enough that they feel he can start, or he doesn't.  It's Geno vs. Himself, not Geno vs. Sanchez.

Archived