Geno Making a Late Charge For QB Job

flgreen

Geno making a late charge for Jets QB job
  • By HOWIE KUSSOY
  • Last Updated: 9:43 AM, August 22, 2013
  • Posted: 2:02 AM, August 22, 2013
  • Jets Blog

The change could be coming.

With the Jets’ quarterback competition approaching its end, Geno Smith completed 15-of-16 passes with two touchdowns during yesterday’s team drills and may have put himself in position to rip the starting job away from Mark Sanchez in Saturday’s preseason game against the Giants. It marked the rookie’s second straight strong practice and his best performance of training camp.

Though Sanchez kept it competitive, connecting on 10-of-14 passes with three sacks, Smith’s sensational showing stole the spotlight with a variety of well-thrown balls in his third consecutive day working with the starters. Smith’s right ankle, which kept him out of the Jaguars game, showed no sign of trouble.

geno090137--300x450.jpg
Bill Kostroun

“It wasn’t brutal, that’s for sure,” coach Rex Ryan joked about Smith’s effort after yesterday’s practice in Florham Park, referring to his comments about the 22-year-old’s four-interception performance in practice last week. “That was a great day. I don’t know if it was his best day because he’s had a lot of good ones, but he had a great one today.”

Ryan still would not announce the starter for Saturday’s game, but a source confirmed Smith will open the game unless he suffers a setback with his ankle.

Smith said he is still undergoing treatment for the ankle, which continues to get better, but is still not 100 percent. It is, however, good enough to allow him to do what he wasn’t able to do after injuring the ankle in his first game with the Jets, against Detroit on Aug. 9.

“Well, last week I would say it hurt me a bit with velocity on my throws,” said Smith. “I wasn’t able to step into it as much. This week has been better because now I’m able to plant that foot in the ground and explode off of it. So I’ve been doing better with it. It’s still not 100 percent, but it’s manageable and it’s only going to get better.”

As the ankle has improved, so has Smith. After missing last weekend’s game against Jacksonville and then having a poor practice on Monday, Smith is 26-of-28 with no turnovers over the past two days.

The second-round pick, still entrenched in competition, wasn’t going to get too excited about another solid day. It’s a step in the right direction, but a step he expected to take.

“I wouldn’t say it was my best day,” Smith said. “Like I said, overall, every single day I’ve been getting better. Whether it’s been a good day or a bad day, it’s a progression and something I take very seriously.”

Though Smith and Sanchez both said they haven’t been informed who will be under center on Saturday, the reigning four-year starter said he assumes he will start on the sidelines.

Sanchez then said all the right things, noting that he would be ready to play regardless of the situation, but Smith showed how much it would mean to get his first start.

It could mean starting in Week 1.

“It does matter. If I get a chance to play, if I get a chance to start, it’s going to be big for me,” said Smith. “I’ve been working extremely hard and I just want to go out there and play well.

“I’m ex-tremely excited, especially since I didn’t get to play last week. So, I get an opportunity to go out there and play and try and win the game with my teammates.”

howard.kussoy@nypost.com

He needs to start no matter if he's improving or how he plays saturday. 

Exactly. We know what Sanchez can do and what he cannot do. And he is not going to improve at this point.

What is the point of starting Sanchez and going 7-9 or 8-8 and never finding out what Smith can do? If Smith completely flops, you can bring Sanchez in and know that we need another QB in the off season. If Smith struggles initially, but shows steady improvement and potential, then you have a possible long term QB solution. But you will not know that if sanchez wastes most of the season and they only give Smith 2 or 3 games later in the year.

Together  Sanchez and Smith went 25-30?  Is anyone getting concerned about the Jets pass defense against the no huddle?

They also struggled against the Jags first string O

I don't know for sure but it seems like most of those stats were against scout team D

Exactly. We know what Sanchez can do and what he cannot do. And he is not going to improve at this point.

What is the point of starting Sanchez and going 7-9 or 8-8 and never finding out what Smith can do? If Smith completely flops, you can bring Sanchez in and know that we need another QB in the off season. If Smith struggles initially, but shows steady improvement and potential, then you have a possible long term QB solution. But you will not know that if sanchez wastes most of the season and they only give Smith 2 or 3 games later in the year.

first off the idea that Sanchez can't improve... there are historical examples. Phil Simms, Rich Gannon, Vinny T all had far better 2nd half of their careers than first half. He can improve but it probably won't be with this team. 

as for the best mix, maybe Sanchez takes the first half of the schedule, if he can get anywhere from 3-5 wins, Geno could push for the playoffs after the bye. the early schedule is brutal. Ideally Geno wins the job this week and goes 16 and 0 but that seems overly hopeful. 

Am I mistaken or did the Jets not announce that Geno was starting on Saturday?  I've seen a thread or several posts here that indicated that was the case.  If so, do these numbnut sportswriters not read or pay attention to team announcements?  This is getting ridiculous.

There are a lot of options between starting the season, and only starting 2 or 3 games later in the year. If he's still holding the ball too long and/or having trouble recognizing blitzes against the jints, this may not even be an issue.

The Jets open the season at home then travel to NE for a Thursday night game four days later. That's a rough start for anyone, I'd think it'd be an extremely heavy load for a rookie QB with one (maybe two?) preseason starts under his belt. Just starting Sanchez those first two weeks makes sense.

I understand never wanting to see Sanchez again, but I don't think it's wise to make a decision based solely on that at the potential risk of Geno's physical and mental health.

They won't be CLOSE to 7-9 if Sanchez starts (or probably if Geno starts.)

Am I mistaken or did the Jets not announce that Geno was starting on Saturday?  I've seen a thread or several posts here that indicated that was the case.  If so, do these numbnut sportswriters not read or pay attention to team announcements?  This is getting ridiculous.

ESPN reported it a couple of days ago and ever since then all of the beat writers have been rambling on about their "inside sources" as if we're too ******* stupid to have read ESPN ourselves.

Lets hope these great practices carry over into the Giants game for Geno.

I would love to see Geno have a great 1st half and see Simms have a great 2nd half and watch Snachez sit the whole game. 

He can always have a hotdog or two while he sulks.

LOL

first off the idea that Sanchez can't improve... there are historical examples. Phil Simms, Rich Gannon, Vinny T all had far better 2nd half of their careers than first half. He can improve but it probably won't be with this team. 

as for the best mix, maybe Sanchez takes the first half of the schedule, if he can get anywhere from 3-5 wins, Geno could push for the playoffs after the bye. the early schedule is brutal. Ideally Geno wins the job this week and goes 16 and 0 but that seems overly hopeful. 

Fair points on everything except sanchez improving. All of those other guys had actual talent and courage. They either initially played on poor teams, had injuries, poor coaching, etc.

Sanchez plays scared on top of marginal talent. Plain and simple and it is getting worse with his deteriorating confidence. He will improve when porcus obtain the gift of flight.

saw in the paper today that geno got 3 days with the #1's, instead of a 2 day rotation....just like sanchez did last week...

that darn idzik meddling with rex's schedule !!!

dang him for wanting a young QB to develop !!!!

Archived