A fireable offense

BigOrangeJetFan

There are a myriad of reasons to fire Rex Ryan. He often doesn't know what is going on with his players on the field and on the sidelines. Hill lost his cool after a catch on the sideline and was reported to have thrown a punch at a Giants DB. Rex not only didn't acknowledge that he even knew about it, he did NOTHING about it. He is a man desperately obsessed with finding a way to hold on to a job that most fans want him out of at this point. I have said for the past two seasons that I see Rex as a half a HC AT BEST. He has no knowledge of offense, QB play etc. and it killed the team last year when there was no one to correct Sparano. Rex has simply got to go.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recall during "Hard Knocks" Joe Namath tried to give Sanchez some direction about how to take a snap, where to have your hands, basic simple stuff. And Sanchez pretty much blew him off like a child avoids homework. You cannot fix stupid. 

I never heard about that.  Even more reason to despise Sanchez.

Let's all relax. The ONLY reason you would call for Rex's head is that you believe that Sanchez gives you a good chance at a meaningful (Playoff) type year. That is not the case. If you hadn't followed the Jets or the preseason then you'd be upset at Sanchez going down...but remember this is the guy that added "Buttfumble" to the NFL Lexicon. This is the guy who had 5 INTs his first year against the Bills, this is the guy who last year could not hit the side of a barn with a football.

Unless you think this headband wearing, fu-manchu sporting, bare ass dancing QB is the next coming of Joe Willie, then Rex should not be let go yet. I am sure given the direction of the team, Rex will give a resignation speech at some point soon but that is not and should not be now.

LL

Sanchez has little or nothing to do with it.  It's the fact that the HC sends who probably would have been the starting QB onto the field in the 4th Qtr of a meaningless preseason game to try to win the game behind the 3rd string OL.  He could have just as easily have done it if Brady or Rodgers or Brees was the starter.  Face it, the man is stupid and totally clueless when it comes to how to handle the team, especially the offense.

Woody spends it on players, but pretty much refuses to fire a coach he'll still have to pay.  That's the only logical reason why Cavanaugh and Shotty were here as long as they were and probably why Rex is still here (besides the fact that Rex reminds him of his father).

Dude, there isn't a single team in the NFL that would have fired Rex after last year. 

You're talking about a coach who went to back to back conference championship games his first two year who just had the first losing season of his head coaching career. No one, I repeat - NO ONE, fires a head coach in that situation.

The bottom line is that Sanchez will never again be a starting qb after he is released by the Jets. The two reasons that he has not been cut are 1) Stupid salary set by Tannenbaum 2) Geno is too raw. Other than that, Sanchez will become like Leinart and the other scarp heap QBs....looking for backup work where he can get it. On the brightside, I heard he has a contract with a Girl's headband company to sport the new Manband.

Dude, there isn't a single team in the NFL that would have fired Rex after last year. 

You're talking about a coach who went to back to back conference championship games his first two year who just had the first losing season of his head coaching career. No one, I repeat - NO ONE, fires a head coach in that situation.

I disagree.  Rex lost the team two seasons in a row and admitted it.  NO team keeps a HC who loses control of the locker room, especially when he is totally clueless about one third of the roster and how to handle it (in addition to all his other public embarrassments of the team, stupid comments, decisions, etc.).

Rex should be out of work this morning.

All of us who work know there are rules which, when broken, mean you are fired.

Getting your starting QB hurt in the 4th quarter of a pre season game should mean you are out of work.

Am I wrong?

Sanchez was NOT and is not yet the starting QB. The competition was ongoing. You or anyone else deciding it was over is ludicrous. Sanchez' career does play a part in the decision, and he had not show even in the game Saturday that he was going to improve. And, despite the interceptions, Geno did many things very well. But it gets old people deciding that the competition was over, when the VERY ACT of Rex putting Sanchez out there showed it was not. And he proceeded to make yet another mental error almost immediately.

Actually I think a majority of teams would have fired Rex yet. The GM HAD to go, and it is usually better to go with a new GM and let him have his guy than force an incumbent on him. Regardless it is probably Idxik's decision in the offseason now and it is unlikely Rex will stay

Sanchez was NOT and is not yet the starting QB. The competition was ongoing. You or anyone else deciding it was over is ludicrous. Sanchez' career does play a part in the decision, and he had not show even in the game Saturday that he was going to improve. And, despite the interceptions, Geno did many things very well. But it gets old people deciding that the competition was over, when the VERY ACT of Rex putting Sanchez out there showed it was not. And he proceeded to make yet another mental error almost immediately.

The only thing "the VERY ACT of Rex putting Sanchez out there showed" is how stupid Rex is.  Geno clearly showed that he is not ready to start.  Even Idzik had to see that.  There is no way that Sanchez would not have been named the starter.  Even if the competition was still ongoing, you don't risk one of the two competitors behind your 3rd string OL to win a meaningless preseason game.

Actually I think a majority of teams would have fired Rex yet. The GM HAD to go, and it is usually better to go with a new GM and let him have his guy than force an incumbent on him. Regardless it is probably Idxik's decision in the offseason now and it is unlikely Rex will stay

I love the certainty. 

Let's just say that by some miracle the Jets are significantly better than expectations, like in Rex's first year when everybody had the Jets finishing dead last before the season started, is Rex still gone?

I disagree.  Rex lost the team two seasons in a row and admitted it.  NO team keeps a HC who loses control of the locker room, especially when he is totally clueless about one third of the roster and how to handle it (in addition to all his other public embarrassments of the team, stupid comments, decisions, etc.).

Giants kept Coughlin and won a super bowl or two. 

Coughlin isn't clueless and doesn't constantly stick his foot in his mouth with stupid comments and predictions like Rex.

I guess you fail to remember two years before his first SB, the local media was calling for his head calling him a dictator and giving him all kinds of hell for losing a veteran team by being too much of a hard ass. 

I guess you fail to remember two years before his first SB, the local media was calling for his head calling him a dictator and giving him all kinds of hell for losing a veteran team by being too much of a hard ass. 

I do remember that.  Just because the local media was calling for his head, doesn't mean that Reese and the Giants' braintrust was considering firing him.  IMO the situations with Rex and Coughlin aren't really comparable.  It's also very different imo for a HC to lose a team because he is a strict disciplinarian versus because he's too lax  (a player's coach).  Rex didn't hold players accountable, allowed Santonio Holmes to act like a spoiled little bitch, was not even aware of what was going on with the team, particularly the offense.  I don't know what all of the details were with the Giants, but seem to remember that some of the players were just grousing because Coughlin worked them too hard and expected too much of them.

I do remember that.  Just because the local media was calling for his head, doesn't mean that Reese and the Giants' braintrust was considering firing him.  IMO the situations with Rex and Coughlin aren't really comparable.  It's also very different imo for a HC to lose a team because he is a strict disciplinarian versus because he's too lax  (a player's coach).  Rex didn't hold players accountable, allowed Santonio Holmes to act like a spoiled little bitch, was not even aware of what was going on with the team, particularly the offense.  I don't know what all of the details were with the Giants, but seem to remember that some of the players were just grousing because Coughlin worked them too hard and expected too much of them.

Exactly! I rest my case. 

Exactly! I rest my case. 

Huh?  The issue with the Jets isn't that the local media is calling for Rex's head.  I don't of any Jets fan that listens to, likes or trusts the local media.  We've seen enough of Rex's stupidity and incompetence on our own and I'd be willing to be that so has Idzik and now Woody.  If the Jets don't shock the world and make the playoffs, Rex is history.  Even having a top 5 D won't save his stupid ass, nor should it.

Coughlin isn't clueless and doesn't constantly stick his foot in his mouth with stupid comments and predictions like Rex.

But he lost the team.  Like really lost it.  Had to appoint a "leadership committee" because nobody was listening to him.  I didn't see any mention of handlign the press in  your prior post. 

Actually, he's had about the exact amount of success as Coughlin did through the first four years of his head coaching career. 

The difference at present seems to be that Coughlin adapted.  Rex hasn't shown any indications that he's willing to do so.  In fact, he's pretty much dug his heels in further with regard to the idea that he's an overpaid defensive coordinator with a better title.

Rex isn't Coughlin. Not by a long shot.

The difference at present seems to be that Coughlin adapted.  Rex hasn't shown any indications that he's willing to do so.  In fact, he's pretty much dug his heels in further with regard to the idea that he's an overpaid defensive coordinator with a better title.

Tell me again, how many division titles Rex has won?

Coughlin took over an EXPANSION team.

How is any of this sh*t relevant? The statement was:

NO team keeps a HC who loses control of the locker room

Coughlin lost control of the locker room.  The Giants kept him.  If that's a fact, tell me, am I lying? 

How is any of this sh*t relevant? The statement was:

Coughlin lost control of the locker room.  The Giants kept him.  If that's a fact, tell me, am I lying? 

Yes they did, and Coughlin has more redeeming qualitiesas a coach  than does Rex Ryan. He will have a longer leash. They are not the same animal

Giants kept Coughlin and won a super bowl or two. 

Biggest difference between Coughlin and Rex is a franchise QB.  

While Rex is a glorified DC (and one of the best at that) the offense has a leadership vacuum and turnover prone, inaccurate QB.   I think Rex's style could work as a HC in the NFL if he had a real QB. 

Ryan took over the Jets! 

You didn't answer the question, so I will.

Rex has ZERO division titles. 

The hallmark of a great coach is that he will beat what he knows. Good coaches regularly beat the teams in their divisions because they see them regularly and game plan regularly against them.

38% of your games are in your division. If you are going to be a good football team, a good football coach, you beat the teams in your division regularly. Rex is 12-13 against the AFCE (including playoffs). He has a losing record against the teams he knows best, and that know him best. 

That does not cut it in this NFL. That gets you 5 years, and out. Which Rex will be.

While Rex is a glorified DC (and one of the best at that) the offense has a leadership vacuum and turnover prone, inaccurate QB.   I think Rex's style could work as a HC in the NFL if he had a real QB. 

Probably would have been perfect in 2009 with Favre and that running game.  

Maybe, but the head coach's job is to be the coach of the whole football team.  I know people talk about how most coaches have strengths and weaknesses, and how they come from one side of the ball, but Rex celebrates that like no other coach.  A true head coach doesn't have the luxury to "not watch the offense" or "only go to defensive meetings".  Rex's job description involves both sides of the ball, though it seems to him, he wants to keep his old job, with a better title and paycheck.  So, unless that changes, he's going to be ultimately a failure as a head coach.

I love the certainty.

Let's just say that by some miracle the Jets are significantly better than expectations, like in Rex's first year when everybody had the Jets finishing dead last before the season started, is Rex still gone?

The Bears GM fired Lovie Smith after a 10-6.

Archived