A fireable offense

BigOrangeJetFan

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lame duck. 

Exactly. The Jets wills start fresh in January rather than pay 2 coaches, because Woody Johnson is cheap and having Morningwheg take the interiim job is not really better or different than letting Wrecks keep making a mess. 

Bad as Sanchez is, he gives us the best chance of winning. Ryan knows he is on the hot seat and that he will be gone after this season if we don't improve. After the 1st half, he had to know that Geno is a project. So he puts out Sanchez with a back up O line in front of him?? Really???

This is more than just our entertainment, this is a business. Ryan just badly mishandled an $8.5 million investment, just to show he could be a good backup?

Aren't you thinking that Woody wants Rex gone after this?

What a crap future then.  Don't mind me, I'm just going to run out of the end zone.

Relax, its the preseason.  Perfect time to get those type of mistakes that will never happen again out of the way.  Besides, he was trying to tip-toe the line and get outside the tackle box, he knew where he was, just didnt have control of his feet.  His mistakes were minor, all correctable. 

Plenty to be excited about.  He's got a very bright future. 

Bad as Sanchez is, he gives us the best chance of winning. Ryan knows he is on the hot seat and that he will be gone after this season if we don't improve. After the 1st half, he had to know that Geno is a project. So he puts out Sanchez with a back up O line in front of him?? Really???

This is more than just our entertainment, this is a business. Ryan just badly mishandled an $8.5 million investment, just to show he could be a good backup?

Aren't you thinking that Woody wants Rex gone after this?

No, because Rex "reminds Woody of his uncle". Let's face it Rex unwittingly did Jets fans a favor because most of us wanted Sanchez out anyway...now he might be, but for the wrong reasons.

Rex should be out of work this morning.

All of us who work know there are rules which, when broken, mean you are fired.

Getting your starting QB hurt in the 4th quarter of a pre season game should mean you are out of work.

Am I wrong?

That's the beauty of the whole thing. Rex gets Sanchez AND himself out of NY all in one fell swoop. It couldn't have turned out better if it was scripted that way. Idzik gets a long evaluation of Geno Smith's QB skills and Jets fans get rid of Sanchez, which is what MOST of us wanted anyway.... admit it.

Exactly. The Jets wills start fresh in January rather than pay 2 coaches, because Woody Johnson is cheap and having Morningwheg take the interiim job is not really better or different than letting Wrecks keep making a mess.

woody is cheap? are you crazy look at the holmes sanchez contracts

He didn't have control of his feet.

Yeah, you know, some times you can tip toe the sideline, sometimes you cant.  It takes a superior athlete to even think they can handle that type of Footwork.  He unfortunately, lost control and stepped out right before he got rid of the ball.  

Beauty is, its the preseason.  Get all those silly rookie mistakes out of the way now when it doesnt count.  

In 2 weeks, getting all the 1st team reps, having some film to study, look out!  Kid's future is bright. 

woody is cheap? are you crazy look at the holmes sanchez contracts

He IS cheap with coaches' contracts.  Rather than fire them when they should be fired and still having to pay them, he keeps them around for a year or two until their contract runs out, and hurts the team in the process.  He's a clueless boob on the order of Leon Hess.

He IS cheap with coaches' contracts.  Rather than fire them when they should be fired and still having to pay them, he keeps them around for a year or two until their contract runs out, and hurts the team in the process.  He's a clueless boob on the order of Leon Hess.

idk man. Woody spends a lot of money on people. You may not like rex but idk if throwing a blank check at a retired coach or something would help

idk man. Woody spends a lot of money on people. You may not like rex but idk if throwing a blank check at a retired coach or something would help

Woody spends it on players, but pretty much refuses to fire a coach he'll still have to pay.  That's the only logical reason why Cavanaugh and Shotty were here as long as they were and probably why Rex is still here (besides the fact that Rex reminds him of his father).

meh.  its easy to spend his money when you are a fan.  I think stablity is really key in the nfl, and everybody runs schemes everybody else already knows.  coaching is big in the NFL, but shotty never told sanchez to stare down his WR's and throw behind them

as fans we want scapegoats, and you  can't fire the players as they say.  

meh.  its easy to spend his money when you are a fan.  I think stablity is really key in the nfl, and everybody runs schemes everybody else already knows.  coaching is big in the NFL, but shotty never told sanchez to stare down his WR's and throw behind them

as fans we want scapegoats, and you  can't fire the players as they say.  

You make some good points, but one doesn't get stability from mediocre coaching.  Cavanaugh has never developed any QB in the NFL.  He's awful.  Schotty may never have told Sanchez to do those things, but he is still an awful OC imo.  His play design and play calling both suck.  When he has the most time to prepare for a game is when he's the worst (instead of the best).  Many fans have talked about how much better the play calling, and play of the offense has been this preseason with a real OC. I've forgotten a number of things now, but a few years ago, I could sit down and quickly list 15 valid reasons why Schotty is an awful OC.  The only stability that brings is mediocrity.

Relax, its the preseason.  Perfect time to get those type of mistakes that will never happen again out of the way.  Besides, he was trying to tip-toe the line and get outside the tackle box, he knew where he was, just didnt have control of his feet.  His mistakes were minor, all correctable. 

Plenty to be excited about.  He's got a very bright future. 

yeah it's not like he just ran right out of then end zone like he thought he was on the 20. he knew where he was and made a mistake. most every one is acting like this is the first time this has ever happened! common! lol he's a rookie! he will make plenty of BIGGER mistakes. this was just a little one. relax.

You make some good points, but one doesn't get stability from mediocre coaching.  Cavanaugh has never developed any QB in the NFL.  He's awful.  Schotty may never have told Sanchez to do those things, but he is still an awful OC imo.  His play design and play calling both suck.  When he has the most time to prepare for a game is when he's the worst (instead of the best).  Many fans have talked about how much better the play calling, and play of the offense has been this preseason with a real OC. I've forgotten a number of things now, but a few years ago, I could sit down and quickly list 15 valid reasons why Schotty is an awful OC.  The only stability that brings is mediocrity.

Schottenheimer was allegedly a good QB coach, though.  I've heard both Brees and Rivers gush about him.  He had a big hand in developing both of them.

He left a lot to be desired as an OC, but I have zero doubt he made every attempt to drill into Sanchez's head the same things he drilled into Brees & Rivers.  You think he never went nuts on him to stop staring down his primary read, over and over and over through the 3 years he was his OC? As the OC he did much more than just call plays during a game.  He spent tons of time breaking down film with his players, as MM does now, as will MM's successor do and every OC in the league.  Sanchez is just too stupid to learn.  He will never have good instincts.  It would take a decade of work just to get him to be an almost-good QB, and even that will require a dominant line and dominant ground game around him.

When you're just trying to not screw up, and the game itself is meaningless, how on God's green earth could he fumble a snap that hit him in the hands.  A little low, but it was straight back.  His head is not right for football and it probably never will be.  

Bad as Sanchez is, he gives us the best chance of winning.

No, he really doesn't. It simply gives Geno Smith the best chance to learn by watching in his rookie season.

Also, need I remind people that Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikmen both had horrible rookie seasons, and Peyton Mannign set the all-time record for most INTs thrown by a QB during his rookie year. So I wouldn't count out Geno Smith just yet. It was his first start in an NFL pre-season game, where teams run predictable, plain-vanilla plays.

Schottenheimer was allegedly a good QB coach, though.  I've heard both Brees and Rivers gush about him.  He had a big hand in developing both of them.

He left a lot to be desired as an OC, but I have zero doubt he made every attempt to drill into Sanchez's head the same things he drilled into Brees & Rivers.  You think he never went nuts on him to stop staring down his primary read, over and over and over through the 3 years he was his OC? As the OC he did much more than just call plays during a game.  He spent tons of time breaking down film with his players, as MM does now, as will MM's successor do and every OC in the league.  Sanchez is just too stupid to learn.  He will never have good instincts.  It would take a decade of work just to get him to be an almost-good QB, and even that will require a dominant line and dominant ground game around him.

When you're just trying to not screw up, and the game itself is meaningless, how on God's green earth could he fumble a snap that hit him in the hands.  A little low, but it was straight back.  His head is not right for football and it probably never will be.  

I don't think I'll ever believe that Schotty was a good QB coach, but even if I'm wrong and he was, he still was an awful OC.  Sanchez didn't help, but Schotty was awful all on his own that had nothing to do with Sanchez.

Recall during "Hard Knocks" Joe Namath tried to give Sanchez some direction about how to take a snap, where to have your hands, basic simple stuff. And Sanchez pretty much blew him off like a child avoids homework. You cannot fix stupid. 

Recall during "Hard Knocks" Joe Namath tried to give Sanchez some direction about how to take a snap, where to have your hands, basic simple stuff. And Sanchez pretty much blew him off like a child avoids homework. You cannot fix stupid.

I nearly forgot about that. Acted like a snot-nosed brat who didn't think he had anything to learn from this old man in the room with him. This wasn't some listen sonny boy morality lecture that he was being given. Joe was trying to help correct his poor technique to help make him a better QB and prevent unforced turnovers, and Sanchez couldn't have made his body language any more obvious that he wanted no part of learning this.

Let's all relax. The ONLY reason you would call for Rex's head is that you believe that Sanchez gives you a good chance at a meaningful (Playoff) type year. That is not the case. If you hadn't followed the Jets or the preseason then you'd be upset at Sanchez going down...but remember this is the guy that added "Buttfumble" to the NFL Lexicon. This is the guy who had 5 INTs his first year against the Bills, this is the guy who last year could not hit the side of a barn with a football.

Unless you think this headband wearing, fu-manchu sporting, bare ass dancing QB is the next coming of Joe Willie, then Rex should not be let go yet. I am sure given the direction of the team, Rex will give a resignation speech at some point soon but that is not and should not be now.

LL

Why would you fire someone for playing his 2nd team and the Qb gets hurt?

Face it, Sanchez is at best a 2nd team Qb.

Although I se what you did there, most people here do think he is the 2nd stringer so what exactly is the big deal?

Archived