Mafia forum off season chat thread

12 hours ago, D P R said:

Okay, grab your drink and find a comfortable chair near a fire while we talk.

First, cheers to your selection of Blue Label - that's a beautiful, smooth whiskey and you'll never go wrong with it. Sip it with one small ice cube or a dash of water to bing the flavors out.

And that's the key to all of this, really - the flavors. It's common knowledge that wine is described by what flavors it introduces to the palette and it's the same with whiskey. Scotch is a great example of this because you have blends (the Johnny Walkers, Dewars, etc.) and then there are single malts with more pronounced flavor. The peaty, "smokey" flavors Crush is speaking (like Lagavulin and Laphroaig) are Islay scotches and are acquired tastes. Something like a Glenmorangie (the one cured on madeira casks especially) are more smooth and flavorful but with distinct flavors that other whiskeys do not have because of the region they are from.  

Jameson, which Nyn is downing as we speak, is Irish whiskey. It's a bit more harsh and less flavorful imo.

Bourbons are all made in Kentucky (although the flavor is there in Jack Daniels and others - same thing really). Makers Mark is famous for the caramel and vanilla notes it brings out. Crush is right on with Angel's Envy - absolutely beautiful. Teh higher the proof, the more kick they will have and just as scotch has particular flavors available in single malts, there are small batch bourbons that follow the same rules. Again, the key is to find the flavors that you like - and those will be different than what others like - and explore those. 

The golden rule is the same for all - the more expensive the bottle, the better quality it will probably be. But, that doesn't mean you'll love the flavor. It's good to try stuff at bars and restaurants so that you no what direction to explore in. Just remember that all of these are made to drink straight (with the before mentioned touch of water or ice). If you're looking to mix drinks, don't waste your money on the good stuff.     

I have had Jack Daniel's and Gentleman Jack before. They were ok. Didn't hate them or anything but nothing that caught my fancy either.

The single malt was something I was considering trying, I think with Johnnie Walker that was the....Green Label? Might have been Gold I'm not sure. But after whaffling on about it for 5 minutes my friend told me to shut the hell up and just get the Blue Label because I would like it and he was right.

Yeah no I am not mixing this stuff. Just a couple ice cubes for me and actually I am probably going to buy one of those molds to make an ice sphere. It's supposed to melt slower in your glass so it cools down the drink but doesn't water it down as much as regular ice would.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

• Upvote 2

On 1/1/2017 at 8:14 AM, Nolder said:

I have had Jack Daniel's and Gentleman Jack before. They were ok. Didn't hate them or anything but nothing that caught my fancy either.

The single malt was something I was considering trying, I think with Johnnie Walker that was the....Green Label? Might have been Gold I'm not sure. But after whaffling on about it for 5 minutes my friend told me to shut the hell up and just get the Blue Label because I would like it and he was right.

Yeah no I am not mixing this stuff. Just a couple ice cubes for me and actually I am probably going to buy one of those molds to make an ice sphere. It's supposed to melt slower in your glass so it cools down the drink but doesn't water it down as much as regular ice would.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Next time, take your highball glass, pour some spring water into it, swirl it around to wet the the sides and bottom of the glass, then pour it out - this will leave just a slight hint of wetness in your glass, pour yourself a finger or-so of whiskey. That's all the water you need to open up a good whiskey. 

Don't plop ice cubes into it. If you want it chilled, then buy the whiskey stones - and use them to chill it. 

Or, drink it room temperature like a you're Wyatt ******* Earp.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Next time, take your highball glass, pour some spring water into it, swirl it around to wet the the sides and bottom of the glass, then pour it out - this will leave just a slight hint of wetness in your glass, pour yourself a finger or-so of whiskey. That's all the water you need to open up a good whiskey. 

Don't plop ice cubes into it. If you want it chilled, then buy the whiskey stones - and use them to chill it. 

I've heard Whiskey Stones don't really work that well.

1 hour ago, Nolder said:

I've heard Whiskey Stones don't really work that well.

Good ones do. There's a difference between using them to add a slight chill to your drink, and an ice cube that's going to make ice water part of the drink.

If you're spending over $35 on a bottle of whiskey, you really shouldn't be filling the glass with ice. It's a waste.

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Spring water?  You are a very fancy beast.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Dude, you already ran Capture the Flag Mafia.

True but this game will be like our special swan song.

4 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Hope you guys are doing good. Miss you guys. Dan and i and the kiddo are doing great. Little one is keeping us busy running around everywhere. 

Good to hear.  Do you want to play my game?  It's going to be amazing.

• Upvote 3