Geno Smith's First Game In Perspective

CrazyCarl40

Geno Smith played solidly today and I hope it is a sign of things to come.  That said, I'm a Jets fan, so I know I must temper expectations.  Geno Smith's first game line reads as such:

24/38 256 Yards 1 TD 1 INT 6 Carries 47 Yards/fumble 80.6 Rating

Mark Sanchez's first game:

18/31 272 Yards 1 TD 1 INT 5 Carries 6 yards 84.3 Rating

Both guys won their first game, Sanchez getting a solid running game and Geno not.

I hope today is a good step in the right direction, but lets not load a ton of pressure too early on the guy.  He's going to make mistakes and hopefully learn from them.

If he was on the Red Sox, Penguins or Notre Dame you would be blowing him and asking for seconds. 

I think he did well later in the game

Geno played well today.  It was a good first game for a rookie who didn't look ready in the preseason.  Heck, he pulled a Sanchez in his first 4 quarters of action (5 TOs), but he settled down in 2nd half and, most promising, was at the end when he made the right plays on the final drive after Rex's D and brain fart blew the lead.

also nice to have an OC that knows what to do with a QB. marriucci was just on NFL network showing how mornhinweg designed plays to make it easier on the rook and strip a way some of the complexity in the west coast system. the discussion was over my head but it is a nice feeling knowing we have an OC who has some capacity to be flexible with his system to fit what he has.

also nice to have an OC that knows what to do with a QB. marriucci was just on NFL network showing how mornhinweg designed plays to make it easier on the rook and strip a way some of the complexity in the west coast system. the discussion was over my head but it is a nice feeling knowing we have an OC who has some capacity to be flexible with his system to fit what he has.

Yep.  Since Geno had limited gametime due to his preseason injury and he wasn't considered ready for Week 1 we had to dumb down the playbook a little bit.  As the training wheels come off we'll see growing pains but hopefully, simultaneously, see some subtle improvements as well.

What I like most is that if you didn't tell me Geno was playing his first game I wouldn't have thought he was for a second, and that's a good sign. He looked young and lacking in experience yes, but considering his experience has been not even a full pre season game plus some series until he got hurt against jacksonville he looked good. Considering what we saw against the Giants, I was afraid Geno would have a 3 int game and not look good at all, but he exceeded my expectations. The way Geno plays reminds me a lot of Kaepernick, they play in the pocket but when they're forced to run they have the wheels to make a big play.

I agree with a lot of what has been said, but think the most important difference between Geno and Sanchez is that Geno seemed to show more ability to read a defense than Sanchez ever has in his four plus years.  With very few exceptions, even on some of his poorly placed passes, more often than not Geno really did seem to be making the proper reads; everything from finding his secondary targets to throwing the ball away or tucking it in and running.  It's not even necessarily the respective success of each given play, as there are plenty of other factors (whether they were or weren't the fault of Geno's), but the fact that he seemed to have a good grasp of what he should, or perhaps more importantly should not, be doing and ultimately not getting himself bated into things by the D or completely missing reads is very reassuring.  There's definitely plenty of work to still be done, but I think there's also plenty of reason for optimism, particularly since he already seems to have a better grasp than Sanchez does today of some of the things that have been plaguing him the most over his career.

Archived