Dee Milliner benched

joewilly12

Here we go again questioning yet another #1 draft pick. What the hell is wrong with this organization.

We're allowing players to compete for starting jobs.  I see nothing wrong with this.  Can we wait until Milliner has played more than 2 games before claiming Idzik doesn't know what he's doing?

We're allowing players to compete for starting jobs.  I see nothing wrong with this.  Can we wait until Milliner has played more than 2 games before claiming Idzik doesn't know what he's doing?

What about the picks before Idzik?   Vernon Gholston comes to mind at this point in time we should have been seeing dividends from previous years draft picks instead of talking failure.

What about the picks before Idzik?   Vernon Gholston comes to mind at this point in time we should have been seeing dividends from previous years draft picks instead of talking failure.

Really?  You're gonna talk ancient history now?  Tannenbaum is gone.  Through 2 weeks it already looks like Idzik made a great call on at least 2 of his first 3 picks (Richardson and Geno).  Few teams get a starting-caliber QB in round 2 or later.  For every Geno there's a lot of Jimmy Clausen's and Kellen Clemens'.

Milliner cannot cover -- he might be OK in a zone, but is regularly beaten in man coverage.  Doesn't look like he is much of a tackler, either.  Yeah, I know it's been two games but we're not talking about minor correction or smoothing out some rough edges.  He simply doe not pass the eyeball test.  Just like Wilson did not pass the test as rookie.   No team can afford to whiff on picks this high.

Surprised they overturned the touchdown.

I could see the ball move a little bit, but I always hear the referee say that it's a touchdown the second he catches the ball and is in the endzone, which is what happened.  What surprises me is that they overturned both of them; I didn't think there was enough evidence to overturn either of those calls.

the strip fumble that Richardson recovered was an awful home field call. 

What do you expect? This has been happening to the Jets since I can remember. The refs have a "letter of apology" that they send to the Jets EVERY year for some egregious error they make in a game they officiate. The Jets are a franchise that NEVER fails to disappoint. They disappoint the bookmakers who expect them to live up to being 11 point underdogs, they disappoint the bettors who bet they will be 11 point losers and mostly they disappoint their own fans who expect them to WIN winnable games.

Milliner cannot cover -- he might be OK in a zone, but is regularly beaten in man coverage. Doesn't look like he is much of a tackler, either. Yeah, I know it's been two games but we're not talking about minor correction or smoothing out some rough edges. He simply doe not pass the eyeball test. Just like Wilson did not pass the test as rookie. No team can afford to whiff on picks this high.

These types of proclamations are crazy. I'm concerned too but to state anything so definitive this early is careless. Maybe Week 14 I can start to understand if it's the same deal.

Really?  You're gonna talk ancient history now?  Tannenbaum is gone.  Through 2 weeks it already looks like Idzik made a great call on at least 2 of his first 3 picks (Richardson and Geno).  Few teams get a starting-caliber QB in round 2 or later.  For every Geno there's a lot of Jimmy Clausen's and Kellen Clemens'.

You think Geno has already proven to be a good draft pick?

I'm still waiting to see a go route for a touchdown myself. Brady could have had 3 of them last night if his guys hung onto the ball. Geno's were way off the mark. The one to gates was terrible underthrown.

The Jets first play from scrimmage ended up being a jump ball. It should have been a touchdown if he hits Powell in stride. 

The Jets first play from scrimmage ended up being a jump ball. It should have been a touchdown if he hits Powell in stride. 

I forgot about that one too. Yeah there were quite a few the first two games. I would still like to see Simms out there. Geno is not ready and I'm not sure he ever will be. But I guess we are supposed to play well with everyone and pretend he is a good NFL QB right now?

I agree, Walls has looked good. Milliner never covered that well in college, my hope was that our scouting department knew more then me. I guess I was wrong about that one again.

lol what are you smoking

He isnt use to backpedling tho so rex is gonna have to coach him up. That being said most rookie cbs struggle its one of those positions that need time to transition

walls is good tho im happy with him

lol what are you smoking

He isnt use to backpedling tho so rex is gonna have to coach him up. That being said most rookie cbs struggle its one of those positions that need time to transition

walls is good tho im happy with him

So he can't backpedal - but he was a good cover corner in college? High school kids can backpedal. He never really played the ball well in college and was always sort of awkward. His measurables are undeniable. His skills on the field leave a lot to be desired at this point. 

Put Milliner at safety and I bet he a beast! He actually has the body type to fit a safety and since his man to man cover skills are weak he may adapt better.  Obviusly now would be a bit premature to do something like that but maybe that would be an option before we called him a bust in the future

Put Milliner at safety and I bet he a beast! He actually has the body type to fit a safety and since his man to man cover skills are weak he may adapt better.  Obviusly now would be a bit premature to do something like that but maybe that would be an option before we called him a bust in the future

That is a really good idea. Probably early like you said - but his body type is more safety-like.

That is a really good idea. Probably early like you said - but his body type is more safety-like.

He has been credited for having ball hawking skills but not so much for man to man coverage. He is a play maker type corner....no where near a shutdown corner like Revis was.  He is always gonna let up the big play but he will be making the big play too.  

He has been credited for having ball hawking skills but not so much for man to man coverage. He is a play maker type corner....no where near a shutdown corner like Revis was.  He is always gonna let up the big play but he will be making the big play too.  

I could see him being a good zone corner. 

So he can't backpedal - but he was a good cover corner in college? High school kids can backpedal. He never really played the ball well in college and was always sort of awkward. His measurables are undeniable. His skills on the field leave a lot to be desired at this point. 

in sabans system u dont backpedal

he was by far the best cover corner in college i dont get it.

ps: body type? isnt he the exact same size as revis?

in sabans system u dont backpedal

he was by far the best cover corner in college i dont get it.

Kinda hard to know if that is infact the case. Dominant front 7's can cover up for bad corners, and Bama had a dominant front 7.

I don't buy the backpedal thing. Every corner knows how to backpedal.

I loved that Rex benched him. Showed some balls and accountability.

But what i dont get, Tom...is why wasn't half the wide receiving corps benched? Why hasnt he ever pulled sanchez in the past and benched him? It seems he got beef with Milliner more for whatever reason.  Well I know the reason actually, its bc Idzik traded away his cornerback and gave him Milliner in his place

Kinda hard to know if that is infact the case. Dominant front 7's can cover up for bad corners, and Bama had a dominant front 7.

I don't buy the backpedal thing. Every corner knows how to backpedal.

look it up. Its a known fact that saban doesnt want them to.

He can backpedel obviously but wasnt taught it so there is some time needed.

Corner is normally a slow developing position for first year players so i wouldnt be suprised if he isnt to great this year.

Archived