Conservative game plan and Cro sealed the Jets's fate

DRJETS

The receivers just arent very good. Geno is inconsistent. The defense isnt doing the offense many favors either....opposing QB's are completing close to 80% of their passes the past 3 games. Its why the TOP has been so out of wack. The Jets barely have had the football.

The defense is on the field way too much.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's mediocre at best at slot and he sucks at PR. Why isn't this being addressed?  We are 3-3 there are 8 other teams in the NFL at 3-3.

If Kerley is mediocre at best as a slot receiver to you then you clearly are not going to be happy until we have Dez Bryant as our X, Desean Jackson as our Z and Wes Welker as our Y.

Geno was terrible yesterday, but the blame goes all the way around. You cant lose the TOP battle by 11 minutes on your home field. The defense couldnt get off the field on 3rd down.

I attribute the TOP battle being lost to an offense who couldn't stay on the field more than to a defense that couldn't get off it. D shut down the run the first three quarters and recorded four sacks, and gave up a grand total of nineteen points. That point total goes down with a couple of long drives by the offense. As does the disparity in TOP.

I attribute the TOP battle being lost to an offense who couldn't stay on the field more than to a defense that couldn't get off it. D shut down the run the first three quarters and recorded four sacks, and gave up a grand total of nineteen points. That point total goes down with a couple of long drives by the offense. As does the disparity in TOP.

The Steelers screen game is an extension of their running game...it gave us fits.

The Steelers screen game is an extension of their running game...it gave us fits.

Agreed. Also their bunch sets masked their lack of WR's. We didnt try that because the Steelers played a lot of zone and we play man.

I agree that it is a rebuilding year - but if you dont get Geno some help he will be ruined by the end of this season. Kerley and Hill are very good. We could really use one more guy though.

1st & 10 throw deep. Either they were covered or Smith couldn't find the open man. So since the patterns were deeper the D was back enough for him to scramble down the sideline for 9 yards.

Then they ran for a 1st down on 2nd & short (quite common)

Then they did the direct-snap thing I hate, but they're mixing things up.

Then with most expecting a pass, they run it (unfortunately it went nowhere).

Then they passed deep again (incomplete).

5 plays. 2 pass plays with guys running deeper patterns, 1 direct-snap thing, and 2 "regular" runs.

BFD.

Run

Pass covered deep (or Smith couldn't find the open man) so he checks down to his RB. (Good).

Run

Run

Pass (see the last one; checked down again). First down.

Pass (short pass, but then we're only on the 11 so it's not like we can "open it up" and throw bombs now, can we?).

Run on 2nd & 6 (gains 5)

Run (3rd & 1; most teams - particularly those with a rookie QB - run here. Hardly a "must pass" down for anyone.)

FG

You can argue with kicking the FG, but that was a drive good enough to get inside the opponent's 5 and nearly got a TD. Took the sure points which, like I said, is arguable, but the drive was fine. You're using it as an example of failure due to gutless play. To hear you retell it, you'd think we did run-run-pass-punt & came away with zero.

Pass covered so Geno checks down

Pass deep, incomplete

Run

Pass called, Geno is sacked

Punt

This is conservative, hide-the-QB playcalling to you?

It was opened up fine. The difference is the plays weren't successful. If those called passes were completed to WRs instead of incomplete or dumped off to checkdown backs, how is the play call different?

You're seeing something that isn't there.

I give you the exact play by play from the first 20 minutes of game action. You hypothesize that Geno could have gone deep on a pair of the handful of non-screen pass plays that were called, and I'm the one who's seeing things?

The receivers just arent very good. Geno is inconsistent. The defense isnt doing the offense many favors either....opposing QB's(not including Fitz) are completing close to 80% of their passes the past 3 games. Its why the TOP has been so out of wack. The Jets barely have had the football.

I don't know why every one keeps on saying Smith is inconsistent.  He's had multiple  turnovers in 5 out of 6 games.  That seems fairly consistent.  

I don't know why every one keeps on saying Smith is inconsistent.  He's had multiple  turnovers in 5 out of 6 games.  That seems fairly consistent.  

Jets fans are so used to seeing heartbreaking interceptions, over the years, we've almost become desensitized to them. It's like oh well another sunday in the books.

Its extremely deep denial, that's why half the threads are about the defense and firing Rex. 

Jets fans are so used to seeing heartbreaking interceptions, over the years, we've almost become desensitized to them. It's like oh well another sunday in the books.

Its extremely deep denial, that's why half the threads are about the defense and firing Rex. 

The interceptions were magnified especially this weekend because this defense couldnt get off the field and they werent creating any turnovers on their own.

I give you the exact play by play from the first 20 minutes of game action. You hypothesize that Geno could have gone deep on a pair of the handful of non-screen pass plays that were called, and I'm the one who's seeing things?

I hypothesize they couldn't go deep on some when they were already on the 11 yard line.

Besides, those play calls were no less conservative than Pittsburgh's.  Same was for most of their drives, even though the strength of our defense is vs the run, particularly up the gut.  They attempted no more deep passes than the Jets, yet they scored 19 points to our 6.  And you think the difference is the play-calling?

Go look at the same drive by drive for Pittsburgh (results of the play, which is all they re-print.  They don't re-print the initial intended/primary receiver if the lay doesn't go there).  Almost every play is either a run or a dumpoff.

I hypothesize they couldn't go deep on some when they were already on the 11 yard line.

Besides, those play calls were no less conservative than Pittsburgh's. Same was for most of their drives, even though the strength of our defense is vs the run, particularly up the gut. They attempted no more deep passes than the Jets, yet they scored 19 points to our 6. And you think the difference is the play-calling?

Go look at the same drive by drive for Pittsburgh (results of the play, which is all they re-print. They don't re-print the initial intended/primary receiver if the lay doesn't go there). Almost every play is either a run or a dumpoff.

Your FACE is a dumpoff.

Well, that's not very nice at all. I'm surprised at you Thomas. I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to go cut me a switch. Go on. And get good one, none of those twigs you keep bringing back.

There may or may not have been some Sam Adams Octoberfest influencing yesterday's posting content.

The interceptions were magnified especially this weekend because this defense couldnt get off the field and they werent creating any turnovers on their own.

the defense held another professional team to 19 points. In 2013 that's more than good enough win a football game. fact of the matter is that 20-19 was a realistic possibility when the Jets had the ball 11 mins left in the 4th. 

in short it wasn't the conservative game plan or the cro that lost the game. 

the defense held another professional team to 19 points. In 2013 that's more than good enough win a football game. fact of the matter is that 20-19 was a realistic possibility when the Jets had the ball 11 mins left in the 4th. 

The defense needs to do more. 

The offense doesnt have the personnel to make up for a defense that cant create turnovers/points. 

That WR screen for first down on 3rd and 19 was just brutal and then to watch Coples being manhandled by a RB on that play was an insult to injury. 

Also  the first two series set the tone for the game.  Mo missed a safety and failing to make a first down on a third and one at Pitts 2 yard line.  Rex decided to kick a FG.  Herm Edwards himself could not had play a more conservative game.  That four straight run to start the game after last week air out, it was so hard to see.

Geno was staring down the WR. made it to easy for the safety's to remain in position to make break and play on the ball and throws. I hope Geno can break out of that habit and his  inconsistency. but i guess thats why they call it rookie learning curves and  mistakes.

Geno was staring down the WR. made it to easy for the safety's to remain in position to make break and play on the ball and throws. I hope Geno can break out of that habit and his  inconsistency. but i guess thats why they call it rookie learning curves and  mistakes.

He didn't have a good game but so did his teammates.  He is a rookie and his teammates should had done more to help him, like others posters indicated coming back for the ball or cut their route and look for the ball when others team are blitzing him.   I understand our WR are garbage but they need to have better awareness at this level.  The game on Sunday was very strange in their play calling.  I thought they were going to come out swinging like the Atlanta game you know getting the rookie into rhythm but that wasn't the case.  I think Rex was trying to win that game 9-6, 10-9.    

You sound like a drunk, blind parrot.

Squawk, defense gave up 19 points. Squawk, good enough. Squawk, defense gave up 19 points.

Watch the game. The defense was mediocre at best. The Steelers went into a shell without any need to score after their 1st 2nd half possession. They knew the game was in the bag.

Archived