Conservative game plan and Cro sealed the Jets's fate

DRJETS

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4th and 1 at the goal line first drive of the game you are at home you go for it. 3 points aren't beating the Steelers.

I agree !

and if you call something safe like a sneak, the steelers get the ball at the 1 foot line against our front so you probably get a safety or the ball back at mid field

You know I've been in Smith's corner, but the guy was awful.  When he misses open receivers - open receivers running DEEP - that is not the product of a conservative offense.  The difference between this and Atlanta was Smith was deadly-accurate and the guy he was locked in on was open.  

I do not agree that the gameplan is "Geno, don't screw up."  That is not what I'm seeing at all.  I'm seeing him off-target on open receivers, and not seeing other ones.  If MM dials up a pass play, and someone is open deep, the only way for that to NOT look like a conservative gameplan is if Smith throws it to the open man and hits him.  If he hits those guys deep, suddenly those same exact plays don't look so conservative.

We did not "neuter" Smith.  If you want to really screw him up, then come out every game and have him throwing 75% of the time.  That should make it easy to tee off on him.

There can always be better gameplans in hindsight, but what screws up every gameplan every time is when the QB isn't seeing and isn't hitting players that the GAMEPLAN designed for them to get wide open (and succeeded in doing so).

He's a young QB and I expect these setbacks.  But it doesn't render him blameless.  Nor does it mean others are to blame for his sucky play.

This is the first possession:

1st and 10 at NYJ 37 (Shotgun) G.Smith left end to NYJ 46 for 9 yards (T.Polamalu).    

2nd and 1 at NYJ 46 (Shotgun) B.Powell left tackle to NYJ 49 for 3 yards (B.Keisel).    

1st and 10 at NYJ 49 Direct snap to B.Powell. B.Powell left tackle to 50 for 1 yard (R.Clark, L.Timmons).    

2nd and 9 at 50 B.Powell right tackle to PIT 48 for 2 yards (B.Keisel).    

3rd and 7 at PIT 48 (Shotgun) G.Smith pass incomplete deep right to J.Kerley.    

4th and 7 at PIT 48 R.Quigley punts 39 yards to PIT 9, Center-T.Purdum, out of bounds.

This is the second possession:

1st and 10 at PIT 45 B.Powell left tackle to PIT 35 for 10 yards (V.Williams).      

Timeout #1 by NYJ at 08:20.    

1st and 10 at PIT 35 (Shotgun) G.Smith pass short right to M.Goodson pushed ob at PIT 25 for 10 yards (R.Clark).    

1st and 10 at PIT 25 C.Ivory up the middle to PIT 22 for 3 yards (V.Williams).    

2nd and 7 at PIT 22 B.Powell right guard to PIT 20 for 2 yards (J.Jones).    

3rd and 5 at PIT 20 (Shotgun) G.Smith pass short left to B.Powell to PIT 11 for 9 yards (R.Clark; I.Taylor).    

1st and 10 at PIT 11 G.Smith pass short right to J.Cumberland to PIT 7 for 4 yards (W.Gay; L.Woodley).    

2nd and 6 at PIT 7 (Shotgun) B.Powell up the middle to PIT 2 for 5 yards (R.Clark; T.Polamalu).    

3rd and 1 at PIT 2 B.Powell up the middle to PIT 2 for no gain (C.Heyward; B.Keisel).    

4th and 1 at PIT 2 (Field Goal formation) PENALTY on NYJ-R.Quigley, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at PIT 2 - No Play.    

4th and 6 at PIT 7 N.Folk 25 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-T.Purdum, Holder-R.Quigley.

Third possession (in the second quarter):

1st and 10 at NYJ 40 G.Smith pass short left to B.Powell pushed ob at PIT 47 for 13 yards (V.Williams).    

1st and 10 at PIT 47 (Shotgun) G.Smith pass incomplete deep right to J.Cumberland.    

2nd and 10 at PIT 47 M.Goodson left end to PIT 45 for 2 yards (V.Williams; L.Timmons).    

3rd and 8 at PIT 45 G.Smith sacked at NYJ 45 for -10 yards (J.Worilds).    

4th and 18 at NYJ 45 R.Quigley punts 37 yards to PIT 18, Center-T.Purdum, fair catch by A.Brown.    

DRIVE TOTALS: PIT 3, NYJ 3, 4 plays, 5 yards, 1:53 elapsed

The first possession was four runs (including a wildcat), and one pass on third and seven. Second possession featured five runs, two screen passes, and one attempt at an actual pass play. Third possession was a dumpoff, a run, and a sack wrapped around one attempt downfield. No quarterback is getting in a rhythm this way. They tried to minimize his impact on the game a few days after he torched an NFL defense on Monday night. Later in the game, they "opened it up" by letting him throw screens to Clyde Gates. A young QB needs to get in a rhythm by watching passes leave his hand and result in a completion. They opened the game by making him a sight-seer.

No quarterback is getting in a rhythm this way. They tried to minimize his impact on the game a few days after he torched an NFL defense on Monday night. Later in the game, they "opened it up" by letting him throw screens to Clyde Gates. A young QB needs to get in a rhythm by watching passes leave his hand and result in a completion. They opened the game by making him a sight-seer.

the idea that passing more early, will lead to Geno not throwing INTs is pure fantasy. It's wishful thinking. they hid him because Geno gets eaten alive by good defenses. And they were right to hide him as it turns out. Dick Lebeau is coming for him early and late. 

the idea that passing more early, will lead to Geno not throwing INTs is pure fantasy. It's wishful thinking. they hid him because Geno gets eaten alive by good defenses. And they were right to hide him as it turns out. Dick Lebeau is coming for him early and late. 

This is true.

The difference between this game and Atlanta is that in Atlanta Smith executed the game plan, against the Steelers he sucked.  The DB's sucked both games, and the game plan was to protect Smith both games 

This is not to exonerate Smith, nor is it to blame Rex, but the Jets have to decide soon what their objective is on the season and roll with it. I think the Atlanta win tricked them into believing that they can squeak into the playoffs, and that resulted in them pulling the string on the offensive gameplan in an attempt to beat the Steelers 17-14. If they dedicate this season to finding out about Geno, then they have to come out every week and run with the same philosophy that they did against Atlanta--wide open, all the time, with the ball in Geno's hand. They shouldn't be asking him to not make mistakes, and to run a conservative offense, and manage the game because 1. he's potentially better than that and 2. the Jets simply aren't good enough to play that way. They need to live or die on Geno's arm. In doing so, you're going to get some Tennessee-type games and you're going to get some Atlanta-type performances. What was most galling about yesterday is that they intentionally neutered Smith early on and wasted another week of finding out if he could carry the team.

Exactly!

Do you notice the WRs don't run complete routes and they don't come back for the ball when Geno is in trouble.

They took 1 deep shot which Hill beat the secondary it almost worked,did they try another?

Why cant the coaching staff address the poor play of the WRs and why cant Mornigway call more plays to open up the running game?

On a few occasions Pitts sent 6 guys on third down and the hot receiver Hill and Gates didn't even look at the QB, running like chickens without head.  At this level you expect them to have some awareness. How can they not know at this level?   When you watch the Saints it is just a beauty, the way they plays offense.  When Brees is getting blitz, not a problem you see the hot receiver in front of him with their hand already up. 

On a few occasions Pitts sent 6 guys on third down and the hot receiver Hill and Gates didn't even look at the QB, running like chickens without head.  At this level you expect them to have some awareness. How can they not know at this level?   When you watch the Saints it is just a beauty, the way they plays offense.  When Brees is getting blitz, not a problem you see the hot receiver in front of him with their hand already up. 

Im glad im not the only one noticing how poorly our WRs play in all aspects. An occasional explosive catch erases what matters most to a lot of football fans. Sanjay Lin should be fired immediately.

1st and 10 at NYJ 37 (Shotgun) G.Smith left end to NYJ 46 for 9 yards (T.Polamalu).    

2nd and 1 at NYJ 46 (Shotgun) B.Powell left tackle to NYJ 49 for 3 yards (B.Keisel).    

1st and 10 at NYJ 49 Direct snap to B.Powell. B.Powell left tackle to 50 for 1 yard (R.Clark, L.Timmons).    

4th and 7 at PIT 48 R.Quigley punts 39 yards to PIT 9, Center-T.Purdum, out of bounds.

1st and 10 at PIT 35 (Shotgun) G.Smith pass short right to M.Goodson pushed ob at PIT 25 for 10 yards (R.Clark).    

3rd and 5 at PIT 20 (Shotgun) G.Smith pass short left to B.Powell to PIT 11 for 9 yards (R.Clark; I.Taylor).    

1st and 10 at PIT 11 G.Smith pass short right to J.Cumberland to PIT 7 for 4 yards (W.Gay; L.Woodley).    

2nd and 6 at PIT 7 (Shotgun) B.Powell up the middle to PIT 2 for 5 yards (R.Clark; T.Polamalu).    

3rd and 1 at PIT 2 B.Powell up the middle to PIT 2 for no gain (C.Heyward; B.Keisel).    

4th and 1 at PIT 2 (Field Goal formation) PENALTY on NYJ-R.Quigley, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at PIT 2 - No Play.    

4th and 6 at PIT 7 N.Folk 25 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-T.Purdum, Holder-R.Quigley.

1st and 10 at NYJ 40 G.Smith pass short left to B.Powell pushed ob at PIT 47 for 13 yards (V.Williams).    

1st and 10 at PIT 47 (Shotgun) G.Smith pass incomplete deep right to J.Cumberland.    

2nd and 10 at PIT 47 M.Goodson left end to PIT 45 for 2 yards (V.Williams; L.Timmons).    

4th and 18 at NYJ 45 R.Quigley punts 37 yards to PIT 18, Center-T.Purdum, fair catch by A.Brown.    

The first possession was four runs (including a wildcat), and one pass on third and seven. Second possession featured five runs, two screen passes, and one attempt at an actual pass play. Third possession was a dumpoff, a run, and a sack wrapped around one attempt downfield. No quarterback is getting in a rhythm this way. They tried to minimize his impact on the game a few days after he torched an NFL defense on Monday night. Later in the game, they "opened it up" by letting him throw screens to Clyde Gates. A young QB needs to get in a rhythm by watching passes leave his hand and result in a completion. They opened the game by making him a sight-seer.

During the game's thread I stated that Rex was playing not to lose the game, thinking that his defense will not let Pitts scores more than 10 points.  When Geno was force in a position to win the game after Cro's debacle then they played into Pitts' hand.  Those zone blitz will rattle any vets QB let alone a rookie.  I was very disappointed with the game plan after last week when they came out swinging.  Yesterday initial game plan, was as predictable as Sparano,  run two down, throw the third.   

I don't get half the players on the Jets at times. It's one thing to make rookie or young mistakes. It's another to act like they've never played football before and as others have attested,  there are times when you watch these guys and it's like, wtf.    Some mistakes just seem to be something they'll never learn.   Any kid who plays any kind of football, should know to help out a QB in trouble, to change routes, to do a lot of common sense types of things.   There just seem to be far more and more players these days who never played football before.  And the Jets WRs seem to be of that ilk.  

I don't get half the players on the Jets at times. It's one thing to make rookie or young mistakes. It's another to act like they've never played football before and as others have attested,  there are times when you watch these guys and it's like, wtf.    Some mistakes just seem to be something they'll never learn.   Any kid who plays any kind of football, should know to help out a QB in trouble, to change routes, to do a lot of common sense types of things.   There just seem to be far more and more players these days who never played football before.  And the Jets WRs seem to be of that ilk.  

Yesterday, I saw something I haven't seen in a football game.   When Pitts was giving the impression of sending out everybody,  Geno screamed to the Left WR (Gates or Kerley, not sure) before the snap.  I was no way, that will be an easy INT.  Luckily, the CB didn't jump the route.  It is coming to a point where Geno is giving the play away in order for his guys to be in position.   

Yesterday, I saw something I haven't seen in a football game.   When Pitts was giving the impression of sending out everybody,  Geno screamed to the Left WR (Gates or Kerley, not sure) before the snap.  I was no way, that will be an easy INT.  Luckily, the CB didn't jump the route.  It is coming to a point where Geno is giving the play away in order for his guys to be in position.   

The Jets WR corps are the worst in the NFL even with Holmes. Is it coaching? Who knows?   Watch game film they run poor routes,they don't block downfield,they don't come back for the ball when the QB is in trouble.  If things don't change fast Geno Smith will be another Mark Sanchez.

1st & 10 throw deep.  Either they were covered or Smith couldn't find the open man.  So since the patterns were deeper the D was back enough for him to scramble down the sideline for 9 yards.

Then they ran for a 1st down on 2nd & short (quite common)

Then they did the direct-snap thing I hate, but they're mixing things up.

Then with most expecting a pass, they run it (unfortunately it went nowhere).

Then they passed deep again (incomplete).

5 plays.  2 pass plays with guys running deeper patterns, 1 direct-snap thing, and 2 "regular" runs. 

BFD.

Run

Pass covered deep (or Smith couldn't find the open man) so he checks down to his RB. (Good).

Run

Run

Pass (see the last one; checked down again).  First down. 

Pass (short pass, but then we're only on the 11 so it's not like we can "open it up" and throw bombs now, can we?).

Run on 2nd & 6 (gains 5)

Run (3rd & 1; most teams - particularly those with a rookie QB - run here.  Hardly a "must pass" down for anyone.)

FG

You can argue with kicking the FG, but that was a drive good enough to get inside the opponent's 5 and nearly got a TD.  Took the sure points which, like I said, is arguable, but the drive was fine.  You're using it as an example of failure due to gutless play.  To hear you retell it, you'd think we did run-run-pass-punt & came away with zero.

Pass covered so Geno checks down

Pass deep, incomplete

Run

Pass called, Geno is sacked

Punt

This is conservative, hide-the-QB playcalling to you?

It was opened up fine.  The difference is the plays weren't successful.  If those called passes were completed to WRs instead of incomplete or dumped off to checkdown backs, how is the play call different?

You're seeing something that isn't there.

Geno had a sh*t game.  Big deal.  It happens to just about everyone, especially young/rookie QBs, and you might as well accept that it's going to happen again.

We need to stop pinning losses on one player. The defense had a sh*t game too.

Geno missed a few open guys. Cumberland was wide open in the EZ on the pick to Reuland. Hill I thought had more speed than that, but still Geno's gotta place that in his hands.

This is what the Steelers do though. We dont have receivers that can consistently beat press...and the only guy who's really capable of catching a pass "covered" is Cumberland. I think you're overestimating the amount of wide open guys yesterday. Granted, if Geno makes those two throws we are in business....but Pitts D locked our wideouts down.

I dont know why Ivory isnt getting carries. 

I'm going buy the things we saw on the screen plus first-hand accounts of the games from people who saw what they didn't show on TV.  It seems he missed more than a just few open guys over the course of the entire game.

He had a crap game.  It happens.  Just say hello to bitonti, who I'm sure is back to troll Jets fans here now that the Jets lost, and move on.

I'm going buy the things we saw on the screen plus first-hand accounts of the games from people who saw what they didn't show on TV.  It seems he missed more than a just few open guys over the course of the entire game.

He had a crap game.  It happens.  Just say hello to bitonti, who I'm sure is back to troll Jets fans here now that the Jets lost, and move on.

I dont think the difference between the Atlanta game and the Pittsburgh game was simply Geno hitting guys on Monday and missing them yesterday. Pittsburgh has a physical secondary and the Jets receivers are probably the weakest group on the team. Guy's werent getting open and we only really have one guy who can make plays covered(Cumberland). Unfortunately our defensive line didnt dominate the Steelers weakest group to even this out.

We need to stop pinning losses on one player. The defense had a sh*t game too.

Hey, people claimed for years that I had an agenda against one player.  Smith had a horrible game on balance (though the last drive before the half was great).

The defense had a so-so game.  Cromartie got beat a couple of times.  They couldn't move the ball on the ground all game, and it wasn't because they weren't trying to.  In the end the D gave up under 20 points, so you and I have a different definition of what "a sh*t game" is for the defense in today's NFL.

If we put up some points they played more than well enough to win.

I dont think the difference between the Atlanta game and the Pittsburgh game was simply Geno hitting guys on Monday and missing them yesterday. Pittsburgh has a physical secondary and the Jets receivers are probably the weakest group on the team. Guy's werent getting open and we only really have one guy who can make plays covered(Cumberland). Unfortunately our defensive line didnt dominate the Steelers weakest group to even this out.

Then you and I saw different things.

In Atlanta, Smith was hitting every receiver in the center of the bullseye.  Those passes would be completed whether the coverage was tight or not.  Yesterday he was all over the place at times.  

When receivers are open, and receivers WERE open, he has to see him and hit him.  He did that last week and didn't this week.  That's what I saw.

Hey, people claimed for years that I had an agenda against one player.  Smith had a horrible game on balance (though the last drive before the half was great).

The defense had a so-so game.  Cromartie got beat a couple of times.  They couldn't move the ball on the ground all game, and it wasn't because they weren't trying to.  In the end the D gave up under 20 points, so you and I have a different definition of what "a sh*t game" is for the defense in today's NFL.

If we put up some points they played more than well enough to win.

Long 3rd down conversions, zero turnovers forced. Those are the two biggest staples of good NFL defenses in 2013. The Jets dont do either of them particularly well. The TOP the past two weeks has been awful, and its not all on the offense. 

The Steelers ground game yesterday was through the air on quick passes. Teams have figured out this defense it seems. 

Then you and I saw different things.

In Atlanta, Smith was hitting every receiver in the center of the bullseye.  Those passes would be completed whether the coverage was tight or not.  Yesterday he was all over the place at times.  

When receivers are open, and receivers WERE open, he has to see him and hit him.  He did that last week and didn't this week.  That's what I saw.

Cumberland was open on the interception into triple coverage and Hill got free on a playaction that Pittsburgh thought to be a run. Other than that, guys were getting beat up at the line. Kerley was super disappointing yesterday. Hill can't beat press coverage.

Obviously those should be two scores, but the Jets defense got bailed out on a dropped TD too.

the Jets drafted Hill to be Braylon. if you're not going to take more than 1 shot down the field at him, he's going to be wasted. and he's getting better. rookie Hill would have dropped that pass when he got railroaded by Polomalou (or however you spell it), but current Hill held on. they only took the one deep throw, they probably should have done it again.

Kerley isn't the answer either he has 1 good game out of every 6 he sucks as a punt returner too. IT HAD TO BE SAID.

the week he was out led to you going apoplectic about trading our #1 pick for a WR. since then it's like your on your meds again.  coincidence ?

Kerley is a slot receiver. That's where he's good. He's not going to be outrunning guys down field. That is supposed to be what Hill is for. I will give you that he shouldn't be returning punts. He fair catches too many and has no idea what to do inside the 10.

Kerley is a slot receiver. That's where he's good. He's not going to be outrunning guys down field. That is supposed to be what Hill is for. I will give you that he shouldn't be returning punts. He fair catches too many and has no idea what to do inside the 10.

He's mediocre at best at slot and he sucks at PR. Why isn't this being addressed?  We are 3-3 there are 8 other teams in the NFL at 3-3.

The receivers just arent very good. Geno is inconsistent. The defense isnt doing the offense many favors either....opposing QB's(not including Fitz) are completing close to 80% of their passes the past 3 games. Its why the TOP has been so out of wack. The Jets barely have had the football.

Archived